Start by marking “Pluto Visits Earth!” as Want to Read:
Pluto Visits Earth!

Pluto Visits Earth!

Pluto visits Earth in a truly out-of-this-world adventure!

Pluto is not pleased when he learns that astronomers have downgraded him from planet to dwarf planet. He embarks on a fun and out-of-this-world adventure across the solar system to visit Earth and reclaim his planetary status.

Along the way, Pluto bumps into his moons and other planets. But it's a boy on Earth who ma
Published August 1st 2012 by Orchard Books

To ask other readers questions about Pluto Visits Earth!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pluto Visits Earth!

Me...Jane by Patrick McDonnellBalloons Over Broadway by Melissa SweetRedwoods by Jason ChinA Seed Is Sleepy by Dianna Hutts AstonAn Egg Is Quiet by Dianna Hutts Aston
Best non-fiction picture books
353rd out of 361 books — 119 voters
Kitten's First Full Moon by Kevin HenkesHappy Birthday, Moon by Frank AschIf You Decide To Go To The Moon by Faith McNultyPapa, Please Get the Moon for Me by Eric CarleMoon Bear by Frank Asch
Moon Themed Picture Books for Kids
37th out of 39 books — 9 voters

More lists with this book...

Rachel
Aug 15, 2012 Rachel rated it it was ok
Long on fun and imagination, but low on information.
Barbara
When the news finally reaches Pluto that he has been demoted and is no longer considered a planet, he is understandably furious and decides to find out what has happened. He zooms as quickly as he can to Earth, passing by some of his fellow planets, but none of them can help at all. After all, they are dealing with their own problems and preoccupations such as keeping their moons in orbit. After heading to sn observatory, Pluto looms over the people below, but finds solace in the words of a boy ...more
Jenn Swanson
Mar 08, 2015 Jenn Swanson rated it it was amazing
Pluto finds out that he has been downgraded from a planet to a dwarf planet and he is pissed. He goes to Earth and demands to know why. I think I enjoyed this story more than my daughter did. Then again, I grew up with Pluto as a planet so maybe it hit more closer to home to me or it could be the fact that she is only 3. Great book nonetheless. Worth checking out!
Kelli Bratten
This book was a great non-fiction book that had elements of the solar system throughout. The students would have learned about planets and the solar system so the book would be integrated into a unit where they were learning about the solar system. i would use this book in a third grade and fourth grade classroom. Even if some of the students were at higher reading levels, they would enjoy this book while reviewing topics that had already been learned. To integrate into language arts I would hav ...more
Stacy
Apr 23, 2014 Stacy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
This was a fun book. Pluto learns that his status of a planet has been changed to him being a dwarf planet. He's not very happy about this so he decides to come to earth to ask why this happened. A great book for children who love anything to do with space.
C. Soriano
Aug 09, 2016 C. Soriano rated it it was amazing
This book was a wonderful tribute to Pluto, our beloved former planet. On his journey to Earth, Pluto stops at the other planets. There are little deatails about each one that educated children about our solar system. A definite keeper.
Andrea
Feb 11, 2015 Andrea rated it liked it
Shelves: alex-books
Cute story about Pluto being demoted to a dwarf planet, but realizing he is still special.

This book provides an opportunity to educate children on the solar system and a bit about the history of the planets and especially Pluto.
Diane
Jan 24, 2016 Diane rated it it was amazing
I love how the author has taken research and weaved them into an entertaining story for students. This would be a great creative writing project for students to try and I plan to use this text as an exemplar.
Julie Suzanne
Cute, humorous story capturing a fictional Pluto's feelings at being demoted to "dwarf planet" status. Reading aloud to my students (grade 3) during this library internship to supplement their classroom study of the solar system.
Jj
Feb 27, 2016 Jj rated it liked it
Indignant Pluto goes on a mission to rectify the injustice perpetrated upon him by astronomers from Earth. Who are these strangers who dare to downgrade a planet? Somehow, his rage subsides by the time he reaches Earth, and all is forgiven when a small, overenthusiastic child proclaims his undying favoritism for Pluto. Call me a skeptic, but I found Pluto's reversal of attitude a bit abrupt and unlikely. Still, a fun--though not particularly informative--read.
Shelby Usrey
Nov 14, 2012 Shelby Usrey rated it liked it
Shelves: children
Tons of information is in this book! It's a great book that could be used to teach students about the planets! Plus it includes information about Pluto not being included as a planet and explains how it was found! The illustrations are fit the story so well and create a great story to go along with the informational facts about the planets! This book is another book needed in the library in the classroom! It could be used in so many ways!
Amanda
Dec 12, 2013 Amanda rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
When the news of his newly demoted planet status reaches Pluto, he angrily visits Earth to demand his planet status back! He tries to enlist the help of other planets along the way. This cute tale, told from the viewpoint of Pluto will catch the attention of students and give them a small lesson in astronomy. The back pages include information explaining the reasons Pluto is no longer a planet. Fun story!
Julie
Interesting viewpoint about the story of Pluto. Great illustrations by Jared Lee.
Stephanie Croaning
This is a fun way to explain to younger kids why Pluto is no longer considered a planet. Although the plot seemed to jump around a bit, it does provide a lot of facts about Pluto and planets in our solar system.
Alice
Oct 01, 2012 Alice rated it really liked it
This book s a great resource and could be used in a non-fiction way to talk about the solar system and Pluto. The story is fun and I learned a lot about Pluto!
Bethe
Feb 07, 2013 Bethe rated it really liked it
Cute story, back matter explains why Pluto was demoted from full planet status, which I never knew and always thought was an injustice :) Love the illustrations.
Heather
Sep 15, 2015 Heather rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Best. Kids. Book. Ever. Quite funny for adults too. Had the conversation with your kid about Pluto not being a planet anymore? This explains it!!!
Gupta
Aug 08, 2013 Gupta rated it really liked it
Interesting. A boy talks to Pluto and Pluto comes to Earth because one of the space rocks come and tell him he is no more a planet..sad
April Rose
Oct 03, 2013 April Rose rated it it was amazing
This book served as a cute way to explain to the kids why Pluto is no longer considered a planet in our solar system, but a dwarf planet.
Paula
Cute fictional story about the devastating news for Pluto when he hears the news about his demotion to dwarf planet. WCCPB
Lori
May 28, 2013 Lori rated it liked it
Shelves: picture, non-fiction
This was a fun book that explains why pluto was reclassified as a dwarf planet.
Teacher.
Oct 31, 2012 Teacher. rated it liked it
Shelves: monday10
I would have loved for this book to have featured some facts along with the humor.
Emily
Aug 12, 2013 Emily rated it really liked it
Shelves: 3rd-5th
Great for students (and teachers) upset about Pluto not being a planet anymore.
Kayla
Jan 19, 2013 Kayla rated it liked it
Cute, but had the potential to be awesome and came up short (sorry, Pluto...)
Stephanie
Feb 05, 2013 Stephanie rated it really liked it
This is a cute story about Pluto's reaction to being reduced to a dwarf planet.
Donalyn
Pluto responds to the news that he's no longer considered a planet.
Emma
Sep 17, 2012 Emma rated it liked it
*sniff* Pluto, you'll always be aces in my book too.
Sue
Sep 13, 2012 Sue rated it really liked it
Ahhhhhhhhhh, now I understand!
Beverly
Cute
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Planets
  • If You Decide To Go To The Moon
  • What's So Special about Planet Earth?
  • How to Bicycle to the Moon to Plant Sunflowers: A Simple but Brilliant Plan in 24 Easy Steps
  • The Three Little Aliens and the Big Bad Robot
  • The Mighty Lalouche
  • Toys in Space
  • Because I'm Your Dad
  • Happy Birthday, Martin Luther King Jr.
  • The Monster Who Lost His Mean
  • Dinothesaurus: Prehistoric Poems and Paintings
  • What Floats in a Moat?
  • Sheep in a Shop
  • Abe Lincoln's Dream
I grew up in Queens, NY in the 1950s with my “baby” sister, Lois. She is now a wonderful writer of young adult novels and nonfiction. My mother was born in Vienna, Austria, and my father came from Brooklyn – an interesting match! My best friends were Neil, Robbie, Krebs, and Paul. I’m still good friends with most of these guys. It was less hectic in those days – no computers, no emails, fewer TV c ...more
More about Steve Metzger...