Start by marking “Writers of the Future Volume 28” as Want to Read:
Writers of the Future Volume 28

Writers of the Future Volume 28

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  53 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Your passage to unforgettable worlds of imagination and escape. Discover the new visionaries of imagination in the Writers of the Future. Established in 1983 by L. Ron Hubbard expressly for the aspiring writer, Writers of the Future has become the most respected and significant forum for new talent in all aspects of speculative fiction. Never before published first-rate sc ...more
Published June 11th 2012 by Galaxy Press (first published May 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Writers of the Future Volume 28, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Writers of the Future Volume 28

Cissa
This is the first time I've read one of these anthologies- I can see I've been missing out!

No bad stories here, though some were more polished than others. To mention a few:

"The Siren" by M.O. Muriel was truly weird and surreal; nicely paced, though, as our understanding of what was going on tracked the events quite tightly.

"Contact Authority" by William Mitchell was a good first-contact story with a twist. Nicely done in the first-contact aspects, and the galactic ramifications were interesting
Janet
The latest collection by L. Ron Hubbard, Writers of the Future 28 was a book I had been anticipating reading and it did not disappoint. I am a huge fan of the short story and novella, and this anthology ran the gamut from what I consider to be hardcore sci-fi to fantasy.

My Favorites:
Of Woven Wood, by Marie Croke
A beautifully written story about a "wooden man". Sort of a twist on a Pinocchio theme, this story shows us that things are not always what they seem.

Fast Draw, by Roy Hardin
I really lik
Donald
This is the first Goodreads Giveaway title I received for 2013. It came in a red foil wrapper so fetching to the eye that I left it unopened for a while, displayed like a forgotten Christmas gift on my desk. It's thick, nearly 600 pages thick. This should be fun.

It was a great read. There are thirteen stories here of varying length and ability, an introduction, and several essays on writing and illustration, as well as an illustration accompanying each story.

The illustrations helped bring the st
James
First Impression:

The Writers of the Future enters its 28th and perhaps its largest volume to date, boasting 586 pages! I’ve been collecting these paperbacks since 1986 and it never ceased to amaze me the opportunity for new writers to get published, often for the first time.

These volumes also have famous names as judges – a partial list: Mike Resnick, Robert J. Sawyer, Fredrick Pohl, and Robert Silverberg – all giants in the science fiction/fantasy field. And there’s an illustrator’s contest as
Joan
The cover calls this "The Best New Science Fiction and Fantasy of the Year". They all say that. But this one fits the bill. If you are looking for new sci-fi or a favorite new author, this might be just what you need to read.

My personal favorite was "The Siren" by M P Muriel. What's yours?

My only complaint is that the print was small, making it hard on my eyes. I need to see if these books come in Large Print versions ...
Courtney
Nice. More details coming soon...
Teressa Morris
I remember when I was eleven or twelve, my parents went away for the weekend and left us with some friends, the Worthingtons. One afternoon, Mr. Worthington, knowing how much I loved to read, sent me up to the rafters in their big old barn to retrieve three big bags of paperback books. There was some parody, which I was much too young to understand, but the bulk of the titles were science fiction. Hard, pulpy science fiction. And I ate it up. I took the books home with me and read them over and ...more
Kasey Jane
My only regret is that I didn't learn about this excellent collection of short stories and illustrations earlier. The Writers of the Future anthologies are compilations of each year's rising stars in science fiction and fantasy as chosen by established greats (many of whom were previous Writers of the Future winners).

This volume contains several unique and engrossing stories covering topics like alchemy, space exploration, and artificial intelligence. Some of my favorites are detailed below.

Awe
Angie Lisle
I avoided this series for a long time because L Ron Hubbard's religious cult scares me. Then, I received two volumes (29 and 30) in exchange for reviews. I adore short stories and this series definitely delivers high-quality stories presented by the winners of the annual Writers and Illustrators of the Future contest.

Like many anthologies, there's the occasional tale that I can't get into - not because the writing is poor but because of my inability to relate to the characters or the topic. The
Zena Shapter
I was disappointed in this volume. Probably the source of the stories set my expectations high. But the majority of the stories were difficult to get into, few caught my interest within the first pages, and that made the reading of them hard work. Only three of the thirteen stories ticked all the right boxes. These were:

"Of Woven Wood" by Marie Croke
"The Command For Love" by Nick T Chan
"Shutdown" by Corry L Lee

Each of these stories had a well-drawn character, in a detailed setting, doing somethi
Ruth
c2012: This is the first time that I have had the pleasure of reading a L Ron Hubbard Anthology. As with any grouping of stories, there are some that evince more pleasure than others. For me, the stand out ones were The Paradise Aperture by David Carani (I have met this author!!), Shutdown by Corey L Lee and Lost Pine by Jacob A Boyd. In all three cases, the worlds and characters would probably have the required sustainability for a longer, novel-length tale. Highly recommended for the normal cr ...more
Brittany
Dec 12, 2012 Brittany rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Sci-Fi Lovers
Finally its on here, I've had this for months XD

I really enjoyed all of these though some were way to odd for me but good none the less! The illustrations were pretty nice too! Some were gorgeous and other really cool looking!

I loved meeting Roy Hardin -he is such a nice guy- at Books-A-Million while he was doing signings back in June! His short "Fast Draw" was the best to me to and I had seriously wished it had been a full novel, I hope he writes more because he is amazing!!!!

Dale
Aug 31, 2012 Dale rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: scifi
I usually enjoy collections like this, but this time around it seemed kind of "meh". Individual stories seemed to hit a reasonable point of development, then suddenly wrap everything up like the last two minutes of an old network TV mystery series. Or maybe I was just having a bad day....
Demonkittie (Amy)
Jan 13, 2015 Demonkittie (Amy) marked it as to-read
*This book was won from a First Reads giveaway on goodreads.com*
JoJo Laforte
I'm not a huge fan of anthologies but this was quite decent.
Krista
Krista is currently reading it
Mar 19, 2015
Steve Trower
Steve Trower marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2015
Brian Matthews
Brian Matthews marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2015
Joseph
Joseph is currently reading it
Feb 02, 2015
Pat Hauldren
Pat Hauldren marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
Pamela Sloss
Pamela Sloss marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2015
J.W. Alden
J.W. Alden marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
  • Gentleman's Relish
  • Lightspeed: Year One
  • Adrift on the Sea of Rains
  • L. Ron Hubbard Presents Writers of the Future Volume 30
  • The Dagger and the Cross (Alamut, #2)
  • Nebula Awards Showcase 2010
  • The Door Through Space
  • A Woman's Liberation: A Choice of Futures by and About Women
  • Artemis
  • The Best Time Travel Stories of All Time
  • Or the Bull Kills You
  • A Laodicean: A Story of Today (Everyman Library)
  • PEN/O. Henry Prize Stories 2010
  • Romanitas (Romanitas, #1)
  • The Broken Wheel  (Chung Kuo, #2)
  • Green Fairy
  • New Orleans Ghosts, Voodoo, and Vampires: Journey into Darkness
  • Circus: Fantasy Under the Big Top
L. Ron Hubbard was a popular pulp writer of science fiction, fantasy, adventure, mysteries and westerns during the 1930s and later founder of Dianetics and Scientology.

Known Pseudonyms:
Frederick Engelhardt
Kurt von Rachen
Rene LaFayete/Rene La Fayette/René Lafayette
Frankie Rohne
More about L. Ron Hubbard...
Battlefield Earth The Invaders Plan (Mission Earth, #1) Black Genesis (Mission Earth, #2) The Enemy Within (Mission Earth, #3) An Alien Affair (Mission Earth, #4)