Start by marking “Writers of the Future Volume 28” as Want to Read:
Writers of the Future Volume 28

Writers of the Future Volume 28

Your passage to unforgettable worlds of imagination and escape. Discover the new visionaries of imagination in the Writers of the Future. Established in 1983 by L. Ron Hubbard expressly for the aspiring writer, Writers of the Future has become the most respected and significant forum for new talent in all aspects of speculative fiction. Never before published first-rate sc ...more
Published June 11th 2012 by Galaxy Press (first published May 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Writers of the Future Volume 28, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Writers of the Future Volume 28

Cissa
Nov 25, 2012 Cissa rated it really liked it
This is the first time I've read one of these anthologies- I can see I've been missing out!

No bad stories here, though some were more polished than others. To mention a few:

"The Siren" by M.O. Muriel was truly weird and surreal; nicely paced, though, as our understanding of what was going on tracked the events quite tightly.

"Contact Authority" by William Mitchell was a good first-contact story with a twist. Nicely done in the first-contact aspects, and the galactic ramifications were interesting
Janet
Nov 21, 2012 Janet rated it really liked it
The latest collection by L. Ron Hubbard, Writers of the Future 28 was a book I had been anticipating reading and it did not disappoint. I am a huge fan of the short story and novella, and this anthology ran the gamut from what I consider to be hardcore sci-fi to fantasy.

My Favorites:
Of Woven Wood, by Marie Croke
A beautifully written story about a "wooden man". Sort of a twist on a Pinocchio theme, this story shows us that things are not always what they seem.

Fast Draw, by Roy Hardin
I really lik
James
Jun 21, 2012 James rated it it was amazing
First Impression:

The Writers of the Future enters its 28th and perhaps its largest volume to date, boasting 586 pages! I’ve been collecting these paperbacks since 1986 and it never ceased to amaze me the opportunity for new writers to get published, often for the first time.

These volumes also have famous names as judges – a partial list: Mike Resnick, Robert J. Sawyer, Fredrick Pohl, and Robert Silverberg – all giants in the science fiction/fantasy field. And there’s an illustrator’s contest as
Donald
This is the first Goodreads Giveaway title I received for 2013. It came in a red foil wrapper so fetching to the eye that I left it unopened for a while, displayed like a forgotten Christmas gift on my desk. It's thick, nearly 600 pages thick. This should be fun.

It was a great read. There are thirteen stories here of varying length and ability, an introduction, and several essays on writing and illustration, as well as an illustration accompanying each story.

The illustrations helped bring the st
Siobhan
Dec 06, 2012 Siobhan rated it liked it
The cover calls this "The Best New Science Fiction and Fantasy of the Year". They all say that. But this one fits the bill. If you are looking for new sci-fi or a favorite new author, this might be just what you need to read.

My personal favorite was "The Siren" by M P Muriel. What's yours?

My only complaint is that the print was small, making it hard on my eyes. I need to see if these books come in Large Print versions ...
Courtney
Nov 13, 2012 Courtney rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Nice. More details coming soon...
D.A. A. D’Amico
Oct 05, 2013 D.A. A. D’Amico rated it it was amazing
Fantastic
Kasey Jane
Dec 13, 2012 Kasey Jane rated it really liked it
My only regret is that I didn't learn about this excellent collection of short stories and illustrations earlier. The Writers of the Future anthologies are compilations of each year's rising stars in science fiction and fantasy as chosen by established greats (many of whom were previous Writers of the Future winners).

This volume contains several unique and engrossing stories covering topics like alchemy, space exploration, and artificial intelligence. Some of my favorites are detailed below.

Awe
Teressa Morris
Feb 24, 2013 Teressa Morris rated it really liked it
I remember when I was eleven or twelve, my parents went away for the weekend and left us with some friends, the Worthingtons. One afternoon, Mr. Worthington, knowing how much I loved to read, sent me up to the rafters in their big old barn to retrieve three big bags of paperback books. There was some parody, which I was much too young to understand, but the bulk of the titles were science fiction. Hard, pulpy science fiction. And I ate it up. I took the books home with me and read them over and ...more
Angie Lisle
Aug 23, 2014 Angie Lisle rated it really liked it
I avoided this series for a long time because L Ron Hubbard's religious cult scares me. Then, I received two volumes (29 and 30) in exchange for reviews. I adore short stories and this series definitely delivers high-quality stories presented by the winners of the annual Writers and Illustrators of the Future contest.

Like many anthologies, there's the occasional tale that I can't get into - not because the writing is poor but because of my inability to relate to the characters or the topic. The
Zena Shapter
Feb 14, 2013 Zena Shapter rated it did not like it
I was disappointed in this volume. Probably the source of the stories set my expectations high. But the majority of the stories were difficult to get into, few caught my interest within the first pages, and that made the reading of them hard work. Only three of the thirteen stories ticked all the right boxes. These were:

"Of Woven Wood" by Marie Croke
"The Command For Love" by Nick T Chan
"Shutdown" by Corry L Lee

Each of these stories had a well-drawn character, in a detailed setting, doing somethi
Ruth
Dec 30, 2013 Ruth rated it really liked it
c2012: This is the first time that I have had the pleasure of reading a L Ron Hubbard Anthology. As with any grouping of stories, there are some that evince more pleasure than others. For me, the stand out ones were The Paradise Aperture by David Carani (I have met this author!!), Shutdown by Corey L Lee and Lost Pine by Jacob A Boyd. In all three cases, the worlds and characters would probably have the required sustainability for a longer, novel-length tale. Highly recommended for the normal cr ...more
Brittany
Dec 12, 2012 Brittany rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Sci-Fi Lovers
Finally its on here, I've had this for months XD

I really enjoyed all of these though some were way to odd for me but good none the less! The illustrations were pretty nice too! Some were gorgeous and other really cool looking!

I loved meeting Roy Hardin -he is such a nice guy- at Books-A-Million while he was doing signings back in June! His short "Fast Draw" was the best to me to and I had seriously wished it had been a full novel, I hope he writes more because he is amazing!!!!

Dale
Aug 31, 2012 Dale rated it it was ok
Shelves: scifi
I usually enjoy collections like this, but this time around it seemed kind of "meh". Individual stories seemed to hit a reasonable point of development, then suddenly wrap everything up like the last two minutes of an old network TV mystery series. Or maybe I was just having a bad day....
JoJo Laforte
Nov 23, 2012 JoJo Laforte rated it liked it
I'm not a huge fan of anthologies but this was quite decent.
Amy
Dec 13, 2012 Amy marked it as to-read
Shelves: first-reads
*This book was won from a First Reads giveaway on goodreads.com*
AndPeggy
AndPeggy rated it really liked it
Apr 24, 2014
Jessy May
Jessy May rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2013
Cody
Cody rated it liked it
Apr 27, 2016
Scott Cleveland
Scott Cleveland rated it liked it
Dec 05, 2012
Bert Goodrich
Bert Goodrich rated it really liked it
Jul 06, 2016
Michael Fierce
Michael Fierce rated it really liked it
Dec 10, 2012
Andromeda Edison
Andromeda Edison rated it really liked it
Dec 12, 2012
James
James rated it it was amazing
Aug 29, 2014
nancy
nancy rated it it was amazing
Nov 28, 2012
Jade Lavender
Jade Lavender rated it liked it
Apr 26, 2014
Jennifer rated it did not like it
Apr 30, 2012
Keith Lovell
Keith Lovell rated it it was ok
Mar 31, 2013
Joshua Boehm
Joshua Boehm rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2012
BA Klapper
BA Klapper rated it liked it
Aug 04, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Lightspeed: Year One
  • Gentleman's Relish
  • The Dagger and the Cross (Alamut, #2)
  • L. Ron Hubbard Presents Writers of the Future Volume 30
  • Artemis
  • A Woman's Liberation: A Choice of Futures by and About Women
  • Nebula Awards Showcase 2010
  • The Door Through Space
  • Or the Bull Kills You (Max Cámara #1)
  • Dangerous Offspring (Fourlands, #3)
  • Last Plane to Heaven: The Final Collection
  • The Ape's Wife and Other Stories
  • Monstrous Little Voices: New Tales from Shakespeare's Fantasy World
  • The Lowest Heaven
With 19 New York Times bestsellers and more than 350 million copies of his works in circulation, L. Ron Hubbard is among the most acclaimed and widely read authors of our time. As a leading light of American Pulp Fiction through the 1930s and ’40s, he is further among the most influential authors of the modern age. Indeed, from Ray Bradbury to Stephen King, there is scarcely a master of imaginativ ...more
More about L. Ron Hubbard...