Start by marking “Finders Keepers: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Finders Keepers: A Novel
Preview
Read eBook* *Different edition

Finders Keepers: A Novel (Finders Keepers #1)

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  46 ratings  ·  18 reviews

Caught in the netherworld between college and a career, novice backpacker Jason Medley and adventuresome Theo Barnes stumble through this novel filled with European hash bars and hangovers, religious zealots and stalkers, saucy girls and overnight trainsall under the looming specter of adult responsibility. But when a jar of the universe’s DNA accidentally drops to Earth f

Published October 8th 2010 by 3 Finger Prints

To ask other readers questions about Finders Keepers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Finders Keepers

William Breen
I have two small criticisms of this book. Reading the first quarter of the book it seemed to me as if the author put chapters in random order, especially those concerning Theo. Things seemed to be happening out of sequence. I was reading it on my kindle and would have liked to go back to chapter beginnings to sort through the dates but this edition wasn't formatted to take advantage of the kindle. The other criticism I have is the portrayal of Danielle. When we are first introduced to her she co ...more
Robb Bridson
Disclosure: I received this book for free from the author through Goodreads' first reads program.

This book has its ups and downs, but ultimately it's a fascinating fantasy take with some well-developed, nuanced, interesting characters. Surprising for a book of the sci-fi/comedy genre, where it's usually more plot than character and more laughs than story.

The humor of the story is not my sort, and the philosophy underlying the story, as well as much of the slang language choices, is just plain ga
Mary
Jun 11, 2014 Mary marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I WON a signed copy of this book from GoodReads Giveaways.
Melissa Hayden
Newlyweds, Donald and Danielle, make an unexpected stop in the Milky Way Galaxy on Earth - out and away from Eternity, their home. Not knowing this fun stop could be disastrous for them and the whole Milky Way Galaxy. They accidentally knocked their assigned jar of CBM (the Universes DNA) off a ledge into a cooling frozen humongous glacier during their hanky panky moment. Lost. Now the warehouses the jars are stored in the off hours are being inventoried and their lost jar will be caught missing ...more
Alysa H.
This is a nice genre-bender of a novel. Part sci-fi, part buddy travelogue, part comedy, part (a small one) philosophy. There were a great many interconnected characters, and their different threads are picked up and dropped over and over via lots and lots of short chapters -- perhaps too many, and some of which I cared a lot more about than others.

The core of the story, and arguably its most effective part, is the bromance between twentysomethings Jason and Theo as they traipse around Europe.
Ove
A Missing Jar of Cosmic Building Material

Finders Keepers is a humorous science fiction about god and backpacking in Europe. Not so much about god as about the people he has working for him creating the universe. Donald and Danielle steal some time from making the Milky Way to make love on the newly created earth. Unfortunately they lose a jar of cosmic building material too.

This Jar is the focal point for the two storylines that follow. One continues with Eternity and the stressful and oh so hum
Ed Morawski
Finders Keepers
In the spirit of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy 'Finders Keepers' is a raunchy rollicking adventure spanning all of 'Eternity' -- and earth! The story is absurdist fun yet oddly compelling. Wildly humorous yet with a healthy dose of strange drama, so much so that it was actually difficult to put down. I wanted to see where the weird and wonderfully drawn characters ended up or did next...

I can understand why the author has difficulty classifying his works because despite trying
Ray
If Jack Kerouac had gone On The Road, not with Neal Cassady but rather Zaphod Beebebrox, his resulting novel would have turned out much like this. Finders Keepers is full of characters trying to find, and for obvious reasons trying to keep, a jarful of Essence of Universe that fell off a warehouse shelf.

The four main threads of the book follow Donald, Jason, Emma and Theo- not necessarily in that order (or, always, with those names)- as the jar proceeds to act as a verb and jar them into and out
Tammie Crampton
I was one of the lucky winners to win a signed copy of this book on Goodreads First Reads program. This humorous science fiction book centers around an important jar containing CBM (Cosmic Building Materials)that accidently gets knocked down to Earth from Eternity by newlyweds Donald and Danielle. The important jar is subsequently picked up on Earth and now in the possession of characters Jason and Theo, while others race to find it.
I highly recommend reading "Finders Keepers"- this book is wel
Nigel Mitchell
I thought this was a really clever book. It avoided the trap of trying to be another Douglas Adams by being much more realistic and detailed. The journeys from Europe, New Zealand, and beyond all felt very realistic, which made the more outrageous parts funnier. There was even a detailed mythology with the Eternians as the creators of the universe, but really more consumed with their own more mundane concerns. My only caveat would be that there's a lot of sex. Lots of it. Whether that's a plus o ...more
Jeremy DeBottis
This is the definition of a book that continues to become more enjoyable the further in you get. I say that, because the main thing keeping it from being five stars in my mind is the beginning starts off a little bit slow, but once it gets going it's just a riot.

melydia
Most of this novel is actually two more or less unrelated stories told side by side. The first is the tale of 20-something Jason’s adventures backpacking across Europe for the first time. Much of this plot is rushed and at times appears to be anecdotes from the author’s own experiences quoted verbatim and out of context. The other is about a jar of Cosmic Building Material lost during the construction of the Milky Way. It’s found by chance by a New Zealander, and the rest of the book is spent wi ...more
Sarah Sammis
In 1978 a little radio play debuted on BBC Radio 4 that went onto be a series of books, a television series and a movie. I'm talking about The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams. It paved the way for the modern day science fiction comedy. It's also the story I thought of most while reading Finders Keepers by Russ Colchamiro.

Jason Medley just wants to get to Rome and decide where to backpack to next except he has about has much common sense as my cat. Theo Barnes is a bloke in New
Pantopicon
This book is definitely influenced by the tradition of Douglas Adams, but falls far short in execution. I found the characterizations and interactions to be misogynistic and racist -- with no political commentary to make these choices even marginally understandable. And, I definitely wouldn't recommend this book to fans of Douglas Adams or Christopher Moore -- there's no intelligent satire here, just copy and paste approach to their stylistic techniques.
Serina
It was okay. I really feel this book would make a much better movie!The time line of the story jumped around so much, it made it more of an intellectual read. So if you're one of those genius people who enjoy wrapping your mind around time travel etc, you will love it. It didn't give me enough story for each person to follow easy, I had to really focus and concentrate to keep the multiple characters straight.
Whoa
Goodreads giveaway!

The cover so looks like something from scooby doo LOL, doesnt it?

Anyways, it was such an amusing story!
M
M marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Heather Leblanc
Heather Leblanc marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
Nicola
Nicola marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
Stephen
Stephen marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
Sheri
Sheri marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
James
James is currently reading it
Feb 23, 2015
Laura marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
Bonnie Fish
Bonnie Fish marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Morgan
Morgan marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
  • Mind Games (Guardian, #2)
  • Caught In Time (Alysian Universe, #1)
  • Molly September
  • Kismet: Beyond the Bedroom Series
  • The Breakable Vow
  • Party at the World’s End
  • From Dark Places
  • City of Ruin (Legends of the Red Sun, #2)
  • Maximum Ice
  • Perception (Tigers' Eye, #1)
  • The Chosen (Portals of Destiny #1)
Russ Colchamiro is the author of the rollicking space adventure Crossline, the hilarious scifi backpacking comedy Finders Keepers, and the outrageous sequel, Genius de Milo, all with Crazy 8 Press.

For fans of Terry Pratchett, Douglas Adams, Christopher Moore, and Josh Whedon.

Russ lives in West Orange, NJ, with his wife, two children, and crazy dog, Simon, who may in fact be an alien himself. Russ
More about Russ Colchamiro...

Finders Keepers (2 books)
  • Genius de Milo