Bestfeeding: Getting Breastfeeding Right for You

Bestfeeding: Getting Breastfeeding Right for You

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  82 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Revised and updated, this guide provides advice for women who are considering breastfeeding, Information is give on the first hours with the baby, if a baby has special needs, if problems arise, returning to work, and when you are both ready to wean.
Published September 1st 2003 by Celestial Arts (first published 1990)

Sara Elice
This was another very repetitive self-help book - the basic advice repeated over and over was make sure your positioning is good. There was some other helpful info, but not enough to require a 200 page book. A summary probably would have sufficed to give me all the info I needed. It didn't help possibly that the edition was 1990 (got it from the library), so some of the info was no longer topical.
Heather Rauch
I got everything I needed in one section of chapter 2, but it gave me the confidence to breastfeed all three of my children successfully thanks to that advice.
Philitsa
Apr 16, 2008 Philitsa rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Philitsa by: Kelly
I was worried that I wouldn't be able to relate or "get" the book without a baby to practice its techniques on, but this is an awesome book! It's like a textbook on how to feed your child, complete with mini quizzes mid-chapter to make sure you're following along. It talks about the mechanics of how to breastfeed successfully as well why breastfeeding is different and better than bottle feeding. I highly recommend it to any novice, expert, or someone curious about the subject.
Kylene
Yes it is repetitive, and yes it is preachy about the no-drugs birth (am I supposed to feel guilty that I had to have an emergency c-section?)
Otherwise the info presented is very good especially for first time moms or breast feeders or anyone who's has trouble with it in the past. Definitely recommended for a good reference.
Kirstin
I can't say this is the most helpful breastfeeding book...there are others that are more thorough in coverage, with better illustrations and better written. Stick to Ina May's book or the LLL's Womanly Art of Breastfeeding, and you can't go wrong.
Hilary
A simple how-to. Yes, it's a little preachy and repetitive, but the diagrams seem like they will be helpful -- I may copy some of them to take to the hospital. The proof is in the pudding, though -- will this book help me when I need it?
Amie
Oct 20, 2008 Amie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all women looking to breastfeed their children.
Shelves: parenting
For anyone who is considering breastfeeding their children, this is a must read. It gave me 100% confidence that I would be able to do it successfully. I learned so much and prize the information that I now have.
L.e.
This was also a good comprehensive guide to breastfeeding- a little less wordy and less personal stories than Ina May;s- but a quicker read with good pics and illustrations. The cover photo kills me- so sweet!
Mandi
This is the best breast-feeding book I read while pregnant. It was not overwhelming or too detailed like the others. I recommend this book to all my new mom friends and family.
Lisa
(Non-Fiction Breastfeeding) Compared to Breastfeeding Made Simple and The Nursing Mother's Companion, this book just didn't match up.
Grace Salzer
Great book, one to keep and refer back to if I have any problems. Lots of illustrations and an easy, quick read (big font!).
Kelly
Love it! How can you not love a book with such fabulous, helpful, reassuring photographs. Wish I would have had it 3 years ago.
Dana
I have both Carmen's and my editions - both are super helpful, especially the ILLUSTRATIONS.
Cindy
Useful. Good presentation. Not preachy. I particularly liked all the illustrations and diagrams.
Ricki
This is a great help for breastfeeding mothers, and those who would like to become one.
Stephanie
Very readable, but a little dated information on breastfeeding
Emily
May 25, 2009 Emily marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: doulas, at-home
Required reading for ALACE certification.
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Karen
Karen added it
May 15, 2014
Whitney
Whitney marked it as to-read
May 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
La Mejor Alimentacion Para Tu Bebe: Guia Ilustrada A Guide to Effective Care in Pregnancy and Childbirth Linking Research and Practice in Midwifery: A Guide to Evidence-Based Practice Bestfeeding: How to Breastfeed Your Baby