Start by marking “Bestfeeding: Getting Breastfeeding Right for You” as Want to Read:
Bestfeeding: Getting Breastfeeding Right for You

Bestfeeding: Getting Breastfeeding Right for You

4.06  ·  Rating Details  ·  108 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Revised and updated, this guide provides advice for women who are considering breastfeeding, Information is give on the first hours with the baby, if a baby has special needs, if problems arise, returning to work, and when you are both ready to wean.
Published September 1st 2003 by Celestial Arts (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Bestfeeding, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bestfeeding

Joanna
I think that this book gave me the clearest picture of what breastfeeding should be like, without actually having experienced it myself, that I have ever had. The authors did an excellent job of articulating and simplifying breastfeeding in a way that is easy to grasp. I also appreciated their insight into how to best help a woman struggling with breastfeeding; by watching her, offering suggestions, and if hands-on help is necessary, putting your hands over hers. That way she can feel what your ...more
Largercircle
What a lovely book! So straight-forward. I think it would have been useful to me as a first-time mom; maybe even the second or third time around.

However, I would like to recognize a bit more ambiguity in my work with mothers than this book allows.

"Breastfeeding should never hurt, and if it does, it means you're doing it wrong," is one of the basic messages. That may be thoughtful, honest, intelligent, but I'm not sure it's necessary or kind. My own experience of breastfeeding the first time arou
Sara Elice
Mar 08, 2010 Sara Elice rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
This was another very repetitive self-help book - the basic advice repeated over and over was make sure your positioning is good. There was some other helpful info, but not enough to require a 200 page book. A summary probably would have sufficed to give me all the info I needed. It didn't help possibly that the edition was 1990 (got it from the library), so some of the info was no longer topical.
Heather Rauch
Jun 21, 2014 Heather Rauch rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got everything I needed in one section of chapter 2, but it gave me the confidence to breastfeed all three of my children successfully thanks to that advice.
Philitsa
Apr 16, 2008 Philitsa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Philitsa by: Kelly
I was worried that I wouldn't be able to relate or "get" the book without a baby to practice its techniques on, but this is an awesome book! It's like a textbook on how to feed your child, complete with mini quizzes mid-chapter to make sure you're following along. It talks about the mechanics of how to breastfeed successfully as well why breastfeeding is different and better than bottle feeding. I highly recommend it to any novice, expert, or someone curious about the subject.
Kylene
Jan 22, 2011 Kylene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yes it is repetitive, and yes it is preachy about the no-drugs birth (am I supposed to feel guilty that I had to have an emergency c-section?)
Otherwise the info presented is very good especially for first time moms or breast feeders or anyone who's has trouble with it in the past. Definitely recommended for a good reference.
Kirstin
I can't say this is the most helpful breastfeeding book...there are others that are more thorough in coverage, with better illustrations and better written. Stick to Ina May's book or the LLL's Womanly Art of Breastfeeding, and you can't go wrong.
Hilary
Jan 03, 2012 Hilary rated it really liked it
A simple how-to. Yes, it's a little preachy and repetitive, but the diagrams seem like they will be helpful -- I may copy some of them to take to the hospital. The proof is in the pudding, though -- will this book help me when I need it?
Amie
Oct 20, 2008 Amie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all women looking to breastfeed their children.
Shelves: parenting
For anyone who is considering breastfeeding their children, this is a must read. It gave me 100% confidence that I would be able to do it successfully. I learned so much and prize the information that I now have.
L.e.
Jan 01, 2010 L.e. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: past-read
This was also a good comprehensive guide to breastfeeding- a little less wordy and less personal stories than Ina May;s- but a quicker read with good pics and illustrations. The cover photo kills me- so sweet!
Mandi
Aug 05, 2013 Mandi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the best breast-feeding book I read while pregnant. It was not overwhelming or too detailed like the others. I recommend this book to all my new mom friends and family.
Lisa
Nov 18, 2010 Lisa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
(Non-Fiction Breastfeeding) Compared to Breastfeeding Made Simple and The Nursing Mother's Companion, this book just didn't match up.
Grace Salzer
Mar 16, 2010 Grace Salzer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book, one to keep and refer back to if I have any problems. Lots of illustrations and an easy, quick read (big font!).
Kelly
Dec 16, 2007 Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love it! How can you not love a book with such fabulous, helpful, reassuring photographs. Wish I would have had it 3 years ago.
Dana
Jun 09, 2014 Dana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have both Carmen's and my editions - both are super helpful, especially the ILLUSTRATIONS.
Cindy
Feb 21, 2008 Cindy rated it really liked it
Useful. Good presentation. Not preachy. I particularly liked all the illustrations and diagrams.
Ricki
Jan 24, 2008 Ricki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great help for breastfeeding mothers, and those who would like to become one.
Stephanie
Very readable, but a little dated information on breastfeeding
Emily
May 25, 2009 Emily marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: doulas, at-home
Required reading for ALACE certification.
Kolzow'S
Kolzow'S marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2016
Georgia Higgins
Georgia Higgins marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2016
FSN
FSN marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2016
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2016
Tess
Tess rated it it was ok
Aug 12, 2016
Christina
Christina rated it really liked it
Jul 09, 2016
Sarah added it
Jun 26, 2016
Sophie
Sophie rated it liked it
Jun 18, 2016
Kara
Kara marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Labor Progress Handbook: Early Interventions to Prevent and Treat Dystocia
  • Your Amazing Newborn
  • Immaculate Deception II: Myth, Magic and Birth
  • Active Birth : The New Approach to Giving Birth Naturally
  • The Breastfeeding Book: Everything You Need to Know About Nursing Your Child from Birth Through Weaning
  • Heart and Hands: A Midwife's Guide to Pregnancy and Birth
  • Obstetric Myths Versus Research Realities: A Guide to the Medical Literature
  • Gentle Birth, Gentle Mothering: The Wisdom and Science of Gentle Choices in Pregnancy, Birth, and Parenting
  • The American Academy of Pediatrics New Mother's Guide to Breastfeeding
  • The Breastfeeding Answer Book
  • The Ultimate Breastfeeding Book of Answers : The Most Comprehensive Problem-Solution Guide to Breastfeeding from the Foremost Expert in North America
  • Rediscovering Birth
  • Medications and Mothers' Milk 2006 (Medications and Mother's Milk)
  • Mothering the New Mother: Women's Feelings & Needs After Childbirth: A Support and Resource Guide
  • Fresh Milk: The Secret Life of Breasts
  • Naturally Healthy Babies and Children: A Commonsense Guide to Herbal Remedies, Nutrition, and Health
  • Nursing Mother, Working Mother: The Essential Guide for Breastfeeding and Staying Close to Your Baby After You Return to Work
  • Ina May's Guide to Breastfeeding