Start by marking “Teachings of Presidents of the Church: George Albert Smith” as Want to Read:
Teachings of Presidents of the Church: George Albert Smith

Teachings of Presidents of the Church: George Albert Smith (Teachings of Presidents of the Church)

4.61  ·  Rating Details  ·  369 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
This is the 10th in a series of books of the teachings of Presidents of the Church. It is used for personal study and for Melchizedek Priesthood and Relief Society instruction.
Published 2012 by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

To ask other readers questions about Teachings of Presidents of the Church, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Teachings of Presidents of the Church

VeNicia
Dec 29, 2012 VeNicia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religious
I am pleasantly surprised how much I love this man and this book. He truly is a generous, loving soul who had humankind at the forefront of his thoughts. His personal creed is inspiring, and his spontaneous and generous acts of kindness immediately upon seeing a need are truly indicative of what I see as true Christianity and a man of God.
Jeff Stockett
Dec 27, 2014 Jeff Stockett rated it really liked it
My original plan was to read this along with the lessons in Elder's quorum. I went along doing that, reading a chapter every other week or so but then I was called into the primary. I decided to just finish it on my own.

I really enjoyed it. It covered a wide range of topics and contained some good insights. I definitely would have enjoyed reading it along with the quorum (I like to think of the weeks that we cover the manual as the book club weeks.) but I enjoyed going through it on my own as we
Petrea
Feb 10, 2012 Petrea rated it it was amazing
I wanted to read the entire book in case some chapters would be missed, or I would miss church some weeks. He was the President of the Church when I was a child. I loved reading about this kind, gentle man, and also reading his teachings, especially about faith, prayer, kindness, and charity. The last chapter on living in perilous times is wonderful--especially coupled with some parts of the Book of Mormon. He was a General Authority during both World Wars and the depression--times that were pos ...more
Sara
Dec 03, 2012 Sara rated it really liked it
Lots of great lessons on faith, charity and forgiveness. He was a General Authority during both World Wars and the depression, a really tough time for our nation and yet his voice was clear and steady about the importance of living keeping the commandments and creating peaceful homes, and especially about being examples for good--anchors in the communities, radiating the light of Christ wherever we go.
Stephanie
Aug 09, 2012 Stephanie rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I didn't feel like I knew much about George Albert Smith compared to other presidents of the church and so I liked being able to learn more about his life and his teachings. He was a really inspirational man.
Dad
Dec 28, 2014 Dad rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lds
I read this book out of the sequence in which the books were used for instruction for the Priesthood and Relief Society because I was serving as a counselor in the Young Men's. (They have their own lessons.) I did not get to read it that year but set out to read it this year. Now, I have read all of the Teachings of the Presidents of the Church series.)
George Albert Smith was someone who lived what he taught. He was loving, kind, and forgiving. There were many gems of wisdom given by him in thi
Daniel Clark
Dec 31, 2015 Daniel Clark rated it it was amazing
This man of God was the Prophet and President of the church around the time WWII was ending. He was a gentle soul, and I want to be kinder and better from what I read, which makes this a great book to me!

This quote reminds us that we can't forget the best books of all, the scriptures:
"What mattereth it, though we understand Homer and Shakespeare and Milton (and I might enumerate all the great writers of the world) if we have failed to read the scriptures we have missed the better part of this wo
Brittany
May 05, 2015 Brittany rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lds, biography-memoir
This was actually the first Teachings of Presidents of the Church manuals I read on my own cover to cover. Being in Primary now though motivated to keep up with the Relief Society topics. I'm so glad I did! I started out reading 1 chapter a week, but was soon reading a chapter a day-sometimes more! I didn't know much about George Albert Smith before starting this book, but I now have a deep love and respect for the man. He truly exemplified so many Christlike characteristics that are so importan ...more
Aaron
Apr 07, 2012 Aaron rated it it was amazing
I did not know much about George Albert Smith before reading this book, but I now feel great respect and admiration for the man. He seems like he was a humble, some-what flawed, yet truly great individual. I am very glad to have learned more of his teachings.

Something interesting I learned in the book is why the former latter-day prophets taught that we should have one-year's worth of food stored up. It dates back to Brigham Young's instructions to the saints to prepare for crop failure (at lea
Katie
Jun 21, 2013 Katie rated it liked it
President Smith served from 1945-1951. In that span of time he gave many powerful discourses which as a church we studied and read during 2012. President Smith was a very kind man. He is known for his love and kindness to all, especially leaders and people of other faiths. In this compilation my favorite talks were "The Holy Priesthood--For the Blessing of God's Children," "The Immortality of the Soul," and "The Power of Kindness." I should also mention that my family has a special fondness for ...more
Erin
Jan 02, 2013 Erin rated it really liked it
I started this book a year ago. I was surprised at how little I knew about George Albert Smith and yet how much I love his teachings. I loved reading about his personal creed in the beginning of this book. As much as I loved reading about him and his life, I feel "jiped" that I hadn't read or heard about many of these stories before. I guess the reason being that I was not yet born while he was the prophet. Also, my grandparents and parents joined the "Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints ...more
Elaine
Jun 11, 2015 Elaine rated it really liked it
I have come to see this President Smith as a loving, sincere man. I have determined to re-read this series.
Lisa
Apr 13, 2014 Lisa rated it it was amazing
I love The Prophet George Albert Smith. I love his steadfastness and conviction and love in always doing our Fathers will and being on His side of the line. I love chapter 18 it is my Favorite and truly how we should look at all we do.
Verona
Nov 02, 2012 Verona rated it it was amazing
This book is in a series of the teaching of all the presidents of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. These men are all prophets of God. I have learned so much from them to help me in my life. I appreciate these books and these great leaders. I met George Albert Smith when he visited North Carolina when I was a girl of 12. So his teachings have particular meaning for me.
Kristin Westergard
some interesting things about him.
Cheryl
Mar 12, 2013 Cheryl rated it it was amazing
Shelves: church
I learned to love this Prophet of God. He was a loving and very friendly man throughout his life. He loved people and developed deep friendships with all he met. He shared the Book of Mormon at Christmas with his friends by sending it as a gift. I taught these lessons in Relief Society for the full year.
Brandon Baggett
Dec 31, 2012 Brandon Baggett rated it liked it
Shelves: religious
Another great selection of quotes and excerpts from George Albert Smith. He really has a lot to offer those who want to further their education in the Gospel. I always love the beginning of every chapter where it offers a short story from his life.
Jeffrey
Jul 21, 2012 Jeffrey rated it really liked it
Shelves: religion
Once again the Presidents of the church books do not disappoint. I know that we should read them for meetings, but they are very well done. Great personal stories and President Smith did a great job of simplification of amazing gospel principles.
Vonnie
Jun 19, 2012 Vonnie rated it it was amazing
This was a fantastic book for me. As a prophet before my time I enjoyed getting to know him through his example and words. Enjoyed reading a chapter a day, then attempting to be a better person each day. He left big footprints to follow.
Melissa
Aug 05, 2012 Melissa rated it it was amazing
What a great example of an honest, kind, and charitable man. It was said of him, "His religion is not doctrine in cold storage." He truly lived the Gospel. If only I could be half the person he was, I should be so lucky....
David
Oct 08, 2015 David rated it it was amazing
Excellent compilation. Such an understated man whose unwavering commitment to living the gospel of Jesus Christ is an incredible example. Chapter 21's lesson on the Power of Kindness is exceptionally powerful.
Kay
Jan 14, 2013 Kay rated it it was amazing
I loved reading about this great prophet. I really, really liked him. His personality seemed a lot like President Hinckley's. This is my favorite book of the Teachings of the Presidents of the Church series, so far.
Keith Kendall
Feb 27, 2012 Keith Kendall rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religion
Rather than spending a year reading it, I felt I got a lot more out of it by reading it more quickly. That helped me see similarities and themes better. It was heartening to get a better picture of his life.
Greg Hudnall
Oct 05, 2012 Greg Hudnall rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religious
Allyson and I teach Nursery, so we read this together and really learned a lot about President Smith. I love that we get to read and learn about past Presidents in books produced by the church.
Brandi
Dec 13, 2012 Brandi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spiritual
I did not know much about George Albert Smith before I read this book, and I was not disappointed. He was a kind and loving man, and I appreciated the opportunity to read his teachings in one book.
Jessica
Jan 25, 2013 Jessica rated it it was amazing
I am so grateful for the good life of this prophet and the teachings he left us. Wonderful advice on everything from family to faith to finances. It's excellent!
Jody
Dec 30, 2012 Jody rated it it was amazing
Loved. Highlighted several passages in each and every lesson. Read parts aloud to Husband. What a guy, President Smith!
Dixon
Sep 01, 2012 Dixon rated it it was amazing
Excellent Book about an excellent man practicing and espousing excellent principles.
Scott Whitney
Apr 24, 2013 Scott Whitney rated it it was amazing
An inspiring man and leader while at the same time down to earth and humble.
Elaine
Feb 12, 2013 Elaine rated it it was amazing
I think this one is my favorite of this series of manuals!! LOVE IT!!!
  • Millennial Messiah: The Second Coming of the Son of Man
  • Discourses of President Gordon B. Hinckley, Vol. 1: 1995-1999 (Hardcover)
  • The Neal A. Maxwell Quote Book
  • History of the Church (Boxed Set)
  • Lehi in the Desert, The World of the Jaredites, There Were Jaredites (The Collected Works of Hugh Nibley, Volume 5)
  • Spencer W. Kimball, Twelfth President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
  • Howard W. Hunter
  • Increase In Learning: Spiritual Patterns For Obtaining Your Own Answers (Spiritual Patterns, #1)
  • Our Latter-Day Hymns: The Stories and the Messages
  • Discourses of Brigham Young: Second President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
  • How to Be Totally Miserable
  • Pathways To Perfection: Discourses Of Thomas S. Monson
  • Drawing On The Powers Of Heaven

Teachings of Presidents of the Church (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Joseph Smith