Everyone Poops

Everyone Poops

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  3,112 ratings  ·  481 reviews
With a straightforward text and illustrations showing beasts and bugs doing it, younger children are shown a natural part of life. "Elephants and mice, fish and raccoons, grown-ups and children, all in their own style do it. The candor is refreshing and the illustrations charming and childlike."--"The Children's Book Bat." Full-color illustrations. Baby/Preschool.
Published March 1st 1993 by Kane/Miller Book Publishers (first published January 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Everyone Poops, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Everyone Poops

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. DickPride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-SmithSomething Wicked This Way Comes by Ray BradburyThe Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas AdamsI Was Told There'd Be Cake by Sloane Crosley
Best Book Titles
170th out of 2,128 books — 1,941 voters
Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! by Mo WillemsWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussChicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin Jr.Skippyjon Jones by Judy Schachner
Voices & Sounds - Best Read Alouds for Young Children
63rd out of 388 books — 409 voters

More lists with this book...

Gerritt
Jan 25, 2008 Gerritt rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Gerritt by: Jonathon Dokkstren
This book has turned my life completely around.

I used to have a very negative attitude towards those who told me that everyone poops. I was really quick to dismiss their claims that everyone poops as mystical hogwash, a sort of pseudo-scientific feel-good philosophy designed to scam the gullible out of their money. I mean, when we were kids, who didn't imagine themselves one day pooping? I know we all tried it, and imagined that we could poop, but eventually most of us grew out of this phase and...more
Anne
I've got a 3 year old that won't poop on the potty. Nope. She just takes a dump in her underwear. Yum. So, as semi-gross as the illustrations in this book were, it's nothing compared to the mess I have to clean out of her pants every day.
Basically, this is an illustrated book for children about various animals and the way they poop. Then it throws in how kids (and adults) poop on the potty, and babies poop in their diapers. Again. This is illustrated, but it's cartoonish so it's not like you're...more
Becky
Nov 28, 2012 Becky rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Becky by: Jackie
OK so... Everyone poops. Duh.

I'm not really so sure what the point of this book is.

If it's meant to be funny, it kinda failed, because I don't think that toddlers will appreciate "poop" as a funny word yet. You have to get to the age where poop can be embarrassing and therefore be subject to becoming a joke... Five maybe. Or ten. Or thirty-five.

If it's meant to be informative, it kinda failed there, too. It's not informative as a potty-training book because it has no information about potty-t...more
Beth F.
I’m torn. Either this is the most brilliant potty training book ever published. Or else it’s friggin creepy as hell. Or maybe it’s both at the same time. Take your pick.

My mother-in-law, sister-in-law and I went day after Christmas shopping today in a very small tourist town in northern Wisconsin. The selection of shops in town is primarily of the tchotchke shop variety. They each found a heavily discounted Christmas tchotchke for future years and I bought yarn. I also found a display of childr...more
Daniel
This Post-modern work tackles the taboo subjects of poop, and those who do the pooping. I won't spoil the ending for you but lets just say that there are enough plot twists to keep you guessing. Clearly inspired by contemporary feminist theory with a hint of neo-marxist thought
Alisa
Sep 19, 2010 Alisa rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: funny
My best friends daughter refused to go poop in the potty... she would cop-a-squat outside in the rocks..lol.. I'm not kidding...lol.. and I tried not to laugh but how can you not? I got her this book and sat her down and we read it. It showed her that all people and animals poop. She said, "But Aunt Lisa, the animals are pooping outside, why cant I?" So I told her that yes, animals poop outside, but animals also lick their butts clean instead of using toilet paper and they get worms in their bel...more
Courtney Miller
Mar 24, 2007 Courtney Miller rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone with a sense of humor
Very cute little book ... great to give to people who have an issue pooping in public bathrooms.
Chanty Figs
Just might be the most important book of our generation. I laughed, I cried it made me want to poo.
Tandie
My kids & I read this about ten years ago. We all thought it was great fun. Our favorite line:

A one humped camel makes a one humped poop. A two humped camel makes a two humped poop!
James
A thriller, non-stop action, definately one of Gomi's best pieces.
Jen3n
This came out the year that I has taking honors biology in high school. My teacher thought it was the cutest darn thing she'd ever seen in her entire life and told all of her students that we could write a sort-of short book report on "Everybody Poops" for extra credit to make up for the less-than-stellar average the class got on the last test - strangly enough a test on the digestive tract. Anyhoo: she was right. It IS, in fact, one of the cutest darn things anyone can ever see, as well as bein...more
Katherine Parker
This book has fabulous illustrations and doesn't shy away from its subject. It asks the question, "What does whale poop look like?"

Oddly, when I searched for it by title, this is the other book that came up:
God Wants You to Be Rich: How and Why Everyone Can Enjoy Material and Spiritual Wealth in Our Abundant World, by Paul Pilzer.

Ponder the connections between these two volumes, dear reader.
Philip Elliott
Logan got this book for Christmas from his Aunt Lacey. After reading this book, I'm pretty sure there are some people who are either in denial or they have been fibbing. Can't wait till they publish the book everyone toots.
Katie
OMG, I'm sure my Mamma read me this boo when I was potty training, but I don't remember, what I do remember is being six. or seven years old and her reading it to my little sister. I thought it was hilarious!
A humorous and informative book for all ages! Makes a great, quick read while taking a poop, as well...
Skimmskate
This book taught me a LOT about life and helped me get through some difficult times.
Heather
I have a 3-yr-old who is pretty insistent that he not use the toilet. He can. He has on occasion. He just prefers his diaper. He says things like, "No thanks. I'll just go in my diaper."

When I saw this at the library today I thought, "maybe it will inspire him to use the toilet." He thought it was so funny that there is a book about poop. We laughed for a long time about the poop book. But then we read it.

He sat there quietly and then when his 5-yr-old brother asked for me to read it again the 3...more
Greg
Oct 22, 2008 Greg rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone who poops
The quintessential poop book.

Never before has so much truth been contained in the two-word title of a book. While many consider the sacred texts of their religions the ultimate guide to life - they clearly haven't read Everyone Poops.

Gomi's brilliant pictographic style and simple prose educate readers young and old about the realities of pooping - especially the fact that everyone does it.

This book would be a perfect follow-up to the book "Everyone Eats" or a precursor to "Everyone Dies" - oh i...more
Gina Covarrubias
Taro Gomi’s Everyone Poops is a children’s book that goes where no child’s book outside of the potty training genre has gone before, and that is to the bathroom. Everyone does it, but have you ever seen a toilet in the Berenstein Bears' treehouse? When was the last time you saw Curious George flinging poop at the Man in the Yellow Hat? And don’t even get me started on what Marmaduke’s owners must have gone through. There is no way little Barbara and Billy ever really played in that backyard.

Thro...more
Nannette Serra
My daughter was driving and I was in the passenger seat when I heard the very serious voice of my son-in-law reading this book to my granddaughter. When I realized what this children's story was about, I had a hard time maintaining the seriousness needed for the learning experience. A wonderful book and recently recommended for adult reading by a website that deals with irritable bowel syndrome. This is not a book to be read alone. Read it with your family or a friend and enjoy.
Bill Adams
Oct 10, 2011 Bill Adams rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: EVERYONE!!
Recommended to Bill by: Nobody *sniff*
Incredibly enlightening book!

All my life I thought something bad was happening to me each morning. I was always too embarrassed to talk to anyone about my daily "problem." Now I can talk freely and endlessly with anyone and everyone about what I've come to find is nothing more than a normal, albeit a bit disgusting, bodily function!!

It finally occurred to me why other people whose homes I've visited also have a toilet.

I love reading books!!
Bernadette
Curious. But discovering that this is a translation of a Japanese children's book explained a thing or two. My husband describes the book as awesome and had a good giggle; he thinks it will be perfect for the young boy he tutors in English! I think the book could do with revised illustrations.
Reese Johnson Peabody
AMAZING. The story was so advance and mature, never have I been moved to tears by a book before, but this one takes the cake. I highly recommend this book, it is for MATURE MEN and should not be read by anyone who isn't above the age of 15.
Lee
I was hoping there would be more of an explanation of the digetstive process instead of just multiple pages of different animal poos but my daughter seemed to enjoy it.
Molly Darr
Apr 10, 2011 Molly Darr added it
Shelves: science
This childrens book is funny. Although I enjoyed it I'm not sure I would find myself reading it in my classroom. Seems like this book is more appropriate for home.
Dylan Sen
it opened my eyes. I now hold the answers to all the questions in life. When I'm on my deathbed, I want the last words that escape my lips to be "everyone...poops"
Dan
I found this extrememly compelling. This novel had me on the edge of my seat for months on end. The ending came out of nowhere. Was this written by Stephen King?
Ruth
Funny book...and it's true! I think I first encountered this at my sister's house and had to pretend for my nephew's sake that I was more mature than I really am.
Sep 28, 2010 Sarah added it
O my gosh i used to love this book it is the best book ever it has weird pictures and the title sounds weird but it's true...EVERYONE POOPS:)
Nancy
I discovered this book when attempting to potty train my son many moons ago. I love the idea of it. It's so democratic--and funny.
Moves the soul, fosters the bowels 5 36 Sep 13, 2012 08:49AM
  • The Wump World
  • The Fire Engine Book
  • The Snail and the Whale
  • My Big Animal Book
  • That's Not My Puppy...Its Coat is Too Hairy (Usborne Touchy-Feely Books)
  • Someday
  • Walter the Farting Dog
  • Owen and Mzee: The True Story of a Remarkable Friendship
  • The Truth about Poop
  • BooBoo
  • Big Words for Little People
  • Hands Are Not for Hitting (Ages 4-7)
Spring is Here My Friends/Mis Amigos Scribbles: A Really Giant Drawing and Coloring Book Doodles: A Really Giant Coloring and Doodling Book Bus Stops

“a one hump camel makes a one hump poop, and a two hump camel makes a two hump poop” 6 likes