Start by marking “Choices (The Looking Glass #1)” as Want to Read:
Choices (The Looking Glass #1)

Choices (The Looking Glass #1)

Marc was straight, always had been and always thought he would be, but when shown his true love in a magic mirror he was shocked to find out his true love was a man. Not only that, it was up to him to convince his true love they were meant to be together. All bad enough, but after finding Liam, the only way he's able to persuade Liam to go out with him is to offer him sex ...more
ebook, 1st Edition, 127 pages
Published January 3rd 2012 by Loose Id, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Choices, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Choices

Hot Head by Damon SuedeFaith & Fidelity by Tere MichaelsPromises by Marie SextonTry by Ella FrankWithout Reservations by J.L. Langley
Best "Out For You" Romance
156th out of 636 books — 1,558 voters
Taxes and Tardis by N.R. WalkerHis Handyman by Lexie DavisHandyman by Claire ThompsonTorem by Lynn HagenUnacceptable Risk by Kaje Harper
Best Gay Construction Workers
48th out of 84 books — 25 voters

More lists with this book...

Simsala
Jan 07, 2012 Simsala rated it it was ok
Shelves: m-m, paranormal, series
2-2,5 stars

Magic mirror as matchmaker showing a straight guy the love of his life that turns out to be a (gay) man.Nice idea that didn`t work for me...

Re-read the first chapter because - was that supposed to be a "local" mirror? Somehow cruel to show someone an image of their future love and telling them to find "the" love and convince him/her of being the "one and only" - without giving a location! Could turn out to be the sweaty job of several lifetimes...the first of a not so small number of
Veronica /  V
Oct 24, 2012 Veronica / V rated it really liked it
This is the first time that I read about a straight guy, trying his best to seduced a gay man.
This story was very cute, some parts were funny, and Marc was such an adorable pushy straight.
Liam was my favourite character, even with all his issues about commitment and not believing in love, he was so charming.
A warning though, if you don't like to read about pages and pages of hot sex, this story might not be for you.
Although, those sex scenes were necessary as Marc was straight after all, and hi
Mandapanda
Jan 06, 2012 Mandapanda rated it liked it
Shelves: various-romance
3.5 stars. Despite the unbelievable premise this is a fun, sexy and original story. Marc was shown his 'true love' in a magic mirror. The fact that it's a man and Marc is straight is something he's willing to work through. But Liam doesn't believe in true love, nor in magic mirrors.

Marc's determined battle to win Liam over is really cute. As are his bumbling efforts at gay sex. I love the setting in Sydney and the Blue Mountains. A couple of times the dialogue seemed too OTT for what a normal gu
Beck
This was a wonderful little story ... I liked the way I could side-step incredulity with the fairytale set-up ... This was insta-love and gay-for-you without the tutting and eye-rolling ... The characters of Liam and Marc were beautifully portrayed too.

I liked how Marc, after having a private freak-out, just decided to dive in the deep end and go along for the ride ... There were also some funny bits with Marc's internal dialogue causing me to laugh out loud ... This is a lovely piece of whimsy
Librarian Kate
Jan 05, 2012 Librarian Kate rated it it was amazing
Straight guy/gay guy; romantic/cynic; problem solver/problem avoider - a match made in heaven, right? Maybe not, but it's a match made in the Looking Glass, which has the power to show the right person an image of their True Love. When Marc goes looking for coffee one morning, he finds a mysterious antique store and Simon instead. Simon is the keeper of the Looking Glass mirror, and informs Marc that the bewitching man he sees instead of his own image is Marc's True Love.

Just a few minor obstacl
Mandy*reads obsessively*
Ok, I'll start out by saying I would have liked the mirror explained a bit better, but going by the epilogue I'm guessing it will be explained more indepth in Simon's story.
The story itself was sweet but a bit heavy on the sex, sex will get me Liam, constant errections.....and really Liam's reticence got a old fairly quickly for me, he's an adult, a businessman and yet, he still thinks he'll turn into Daddy? I was torn between giving Marc the saint of the year award and the most pushy, aggressiv
Edina Rose
Jan 04, 2012 Edina Rose rated it liked it
Fresh, original plot! Mirror, mirror who's my mate? For once, it's the straight guy who is after the gay one.
The romance is sweet, the sex is hot. Good read.
Jenre
Jan 18, 2012 Jenre rated it liked it
Marc is bewildered when he finds himself in Simon's antique shop. He's been drawn there for some reason but isn't sure what. Simon knows though and shows Marc a magic mirror which gives him the image of his true love. Marc is shocked to discover that the image is of a man, especially as he is straight and never felt any attraction to men before. After some debate, Marc is determined to find this mystery man and see whether the mirror is right or not.

Choices is labelled a paranormal romance but r
Morgana
Sep 23, 2012 Morgana rated it really liked it
Shelves: gay-for-you
The beginning was kind of slow-paced, slightly boring if you ask me, and Marc's sister only made it worse by being... well... her, I guess. You'll know what I mean when you start reading the book, or maybe that's just me and you won't be rolling your eyes as much as I did mine. Fortunately, that's the only bad thing I have to say about this book. The rest, by contrast, was very enjoyable. And I'm not exaggerating, I truly couldn't put Choices down until I finished the last page! And how I loved ...more
Julesmarie
Jul 03, 2014 Julesmarie rated it really liked it
I was pleasantly surprised to find that this had quite a bit more depth than I'd been expecting from a story with a magic mirror that tells a straight man that the only person he'll ever be happy with is a man.

Marc and Liam's interactions were enthralling, and it was completely endearing how much they helped each other overcome their various issues.

Favorite Quote:
"The mirror never lies."
"Well it's lying its ass off right now."
Meggie
Jan 06, 2012 Meggie rated it really liked it
Shelves: magic, romance
This story was simply beautiful. Sure, the start was a bit strange in an unusual way, but really pulling. For my piece of mind it was to short and undeveloped, but even so purely romantic. I wanted to read more about Marc and Liam, but this plot was built deliberately to convince Liam to love again. And nothing more. And from this point we were not disappointed it's a pure romance.
Raquel
Jan 08, 2012 Raquel rated it it was amazing
Loved it! What can I say? I'm a hopeless romantic and the idea of finding true love like that is sooo romantic...

Marc fought hard for it but finally he got his HEA.

Looking forward for the next in the series!
Teresa
2.5 Stars - Interesting concept but the execution was just flat for me. I didn't buy the feelings at all.
Kris
Jan 10, 2012 Kris rated it liked it
Despite the whole 'magic mirror' and 'soul mate' thing, I was nicely surprised to have found myself convinced by the relationship between the MCs.
Shaz
Feb 19, 2012 Shaz rated it really liked it
Recommended to Shaz by: Eepa *mm loving bookworm*
Shelves: mm, ofy
Suspend reality and just sit back and go with the flow. It you're able to do that then this is a lovely story.
Yue
Without knowing why, Marc enters an antique shop, where the shop-keeper shows him a mirror. In the mirror, he sees his true love, only that his true love is a man (Marc is straight as an arrow). At first he cannot believe it, but luckily it does not take him long to accept it. He decides to visit gay bars trying to meet this guy. When he does, he goes directly to the point. Liam (his true love) is flattered but of course, he thinks Marc is a bit nuts, especially considering that he is straight. ...more
Lisa
Jun 18, 2014 Lisa rated it it was amazing
Read by MM Good Book Reviews:
Penny Brandon just blew my mind. This story came off so possible and real that I was amazed with it. Well not the looking in a mirror and being told about a true love part but the difficulties that Liam had with it. He didn't believe in love and never dated any man. He just had hook-ups and right after wards he left them.

His mother had loved his father, did everything the man wanted even though her husband, his father did everything he could do to destroy her and her
Tutu
Sep 01, 2012 Tutu rated it really liked it
Also a book I won at the group’s 3rd birthday celebration. I’m lucky, I know;)

Choices was on my to be read list for a while, I just hadn’t gotten to buying it. I was pleasantly surprised with it but I also knew what to expect. As long as you can get past the “ you’re my other half and one chance at true love” part you’ll enjoy this story. Actually, come to think about it, not really that different from shifters and mates stories.The paranormal tag is just the premise, so if you’re not a fan don
Lasha
Feb 02, 2012 Lasha rated it really liked it
Shelves: darkdivasreviews
Choices takes a distinctive turn on the Gay For You trope. In it, Marc who always thought he was straight looks into a magical mirror and sees the face of his one true love: Liam. Scared for all of one minute about his soon-to-be change in sexuality, Marc decides to hunt down Liam and see if they are compatible. And boy are they! However, there’s one big problem that must be addressed before Marc can have his happy ending. He has to convince Liam — who only wants Marc for sex — that true love ...more
Lois - Who Reads
When Marc is drawn to a strange little antique store, he had no idea that his whole life was going to change. One look in a mirror shows him who the love of his life is - a man! Marc has gone through life believing he is straight and his struggle with this new development is really fun to read. Poor Liam, when he walks by Marc in a bar he sees a cute man, not the person that is going to change his life. I loved Marc's stubbornness and persistence and Liam's slow acceptance of what Marc is ...more
Paul
Mar 11, 2012 Paul rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, paranormal
this book is realy hot. if you like gay for you.

heres the premise, straight guy gets pulled by some unkown force to as shop with a magic mirror that shows you your hearts love. but what it shows him is not a wife but a guy.

What follows is how do you meet the gay guy and convince him that he will be the love of your life and that you will be his. No easy task when you tell him a magic mirror showed you, this is even harder when the guy your trying to convince doesn't beleive in love and only want
DL
Apr 02, 2013 DL rated it liked it
The story was cute and very much a fairy tale. Where else would you find an image of your true love in a mirror? While I liked the story there were a few characters (a sister and a friend) who were introduced in order to supply information and then just fell off the pages. I would rather they have never been introduced at all. It seems like there might be a sequel involving the antiques store owner. I hope so.
Rosemary
Jan 09, 2012 Rosemary rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. Loved the premise of a magical mirror that shows you your true love. Marc was really adorable and I liked Liam a lot as well. I was happy to see on the author's blog that this is the start of a new series. Can't wait for the next one, which I am hoping will be Simon's story.
Will Parkinson
Feb 19, 2013 Will Parkinson rated it it was amazing
Holy crap this was a great story!

I've read many GFY (Gay For You) stories, but this one was something different. Told from the perspective of a straight man who knows that a gay man is his destined love. The problems? The gay man doesn't know anything about it.

It was a fun, erotic read as the two men danced around the topic: Can a straight man really be happy with a gay lover?
Isha
Jul 19, 2014 Isha rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. I loved how Marc didn't give up and he went after what he wanted. And poor Liam didn't have a chance, Marc was going to have him whether Liam wanted it or not:). I wish it was longer. I would have liked to see what their future looks like and if they ended up with a family.
Smith Barney
This short romantic mirror-mirror tale was very imaginative with attractive qualities and possibilities..had it been better executed.

But I must say that the sexual chemistry was a great blend of yin & yang energy and probably one of the better representations I've read..and most definitely is this writer's strong suit.
Shannon
Sep 03, 2013 Shannon rated it really liked it
Shelves: cover-color-blue
How have I not read this author before?!? I loved this book. If it had made me even a little weepy I would have 5-starred it. One of the best "man-sex virgin" stories I've ever read. This guy was completely freaked out!! "Do I touch it? Lick it?" lol, he had no clue. Fabulous!! I just wish I could read the others in the series right the hell now but I have to wait!! Damn.
Kristy Maitz
Jan 06, 2012 Kristy Maitz rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star-books
That book is for all of those who are still looking for true love, like I do. Its worth reading it. I hope Penny Brandon will make a happy ending book for Simon to, because that guy goes to your heart even if you read from his point of view just in 2 chapters.
Lakeisha
Feb 28, 2012 Lakeisha rated it it was amazing
Thought this was imaginatively done. Love the concept of a straight man seducing a gay man, it was really romantic in my opinion :) LOVED!!!!
Tailtiu
Oct 24, 2012 Tailtiu rated it really liked it
3,5* upgrade because I want to read Simon's story NOW
Is this an Original Story Premise? 3 15 May 07, 2012 05:44PM
  • Where You Least Expect It
  • Static
  • We're Both Straight, Right?
  • Acting Out (Hollywood #2)
  • Falling in Love with Crazy
  • Squire (Indigo Knights, #1)
  • Sometimes It's Fate (Canada's Finest, #1)
  • Hairy Harry's Car Seat (Lyon Road Vets, #1)
  • Stolen Summer
  • Bayou Dreams (Rougaroux Social Club #1)
  • Cherries on Top
  • Mandarin Orange: Sweet and Sour (Fruit Basket, #3)
  • A Rose Among the Ruins
  • The Charlie Factor (Beach Duo, #1)
  • Shawn's Voice
  • Hanging Loose
  • Gay Best Friend  (G-A-Y #10)
  • My Hero
I've been writing for years, but have only recently realised other people are interested in what I write. I'm also a complete romantic who believes everyone can fall in love if only they open their heart to the possibility!
More about Penny Brandon...

The Looking Glass (2 books)
  • First Kiss (The Looking Glass #2)