Start by marking “Phoenix (Five Ancestors: Out of the Ashes, #1)” as Want to Read:
Phoenix (Five Ancestors: Out of the Ashes, #1)

Phoenix (Five Ancestors: Out of the Ashes #1)

It is 350 years after the events of The Five Ancestors. Phoenix Collns lives in Indiana with his grandfather who is teaching him kung fu. But Phoenix''s real love is mountain bike racing. When unsettling events reveal that his grandfather is not only one of the legendary five Cangzhen monks, but also almost 400 years old, Phoenix must race the clock if he is going to keep ...more
Published September 2012 by Random House

To ask other readers questions about Phoenix, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Phoenix

Jeff Stone
Mar 31, 2015 Jeff Stone rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Um, I wrote it. :-)
~Haelee~
Sep 08, 2012 ~Haelee~ rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jeff-stone
I love that the book takes place in the 21st century!!!
Spencer Leovan
Mar 10, 2017 Spencer Leovan rated it it was amazing
Phoenix is a fiction book that includes more of an action and adventure to it once you read it. The theme of this book is about trusting someone for whom you really trust to be with and a bit of overcoming obstacles.
This book is about a boy named Phoenix who likes mountain bikes a lot. He also knows a bit of kung fu from his grandfather. He and his grandfather are home until they were attacked by a team called Team Vanderhausen and stole the dragon bone. Somehow his grandfather has a limit of da
Mirely
Synopsis: It is 350 years after the events of The Five Ancestors. Phoenix Collins lives in Indiana with his grandfather who is teaching him kung fu. But Phoenix's real love is mountain bike racing. When unsettling events reveal that his grandfather is not only one of the legendary five Cangzhen monks, but also almost 400 years old, Phoenix must race the clock if he is going to keep his beloved ancestor alive. Traveling to China, he meets an intriguing young woman who is a talented biker and a te ...more
Ms. Yingling
Jul 05, 2012 Ms. Yingling rated it it was amazing
I want this book for my library RIGHT NOW!!!

Phoenix is competing in a local cycle race when Ryan, a sort-of friend, starts to ride dirty, grabbing the back of his shirt and eventually kicking him right in the face. Phoenix's tire is ruined and his grandfather is assessing his wounds when he comes to. There's no hope for the race (and Phoenix hates to lose), but to make matters worse, when the pair arrive home, their house has been trashed and the grandfather's "herbal supplement" has been stolen
Aelvana
Jan 07, 2015 Aelvana rated it really liked it
Phoenix's life is exciting, but in normal ways. Mountain biking. Competing in races. Training in kung-fu with his grandfather. But when a disaster leaves his grandfather's life on the line, Phoenix finds himself racing the clock to find a mysterious substance known as dragon bone. Only it appears he isn't the only one after what little remains in the world . . .

This is connected to the Five Ancestors series, but only loosely. Although there are some nods to the original story, this one takes pla
Ji Mei
I thought this was an interesting continuation of the first series. I like Phoenix Collins, the main character, and how he is kind, cheerful, and just an average teenager. The plot and the twists did make me unable to put the book down, however I do have some things I didn't like about this book. It seems more a book about racing bikes than kung fu like in the first series. I understand that this perspective was that kung fu was in other aspects of life, but I just don't like the focus all on bi ...more
Tracy
Sep 19, 2012 Tracy rated it really liked it
I really found this a fun book to read. Though I do have to be honest and say the parent in me cringed over the amount of traveling that the main character Phoenix did on his own. I mean traveling to China from Indiana as a 13 year old by yourself, I cringe allowing my 16 year old do that. But thankfully this is a fiction book and I can let it seep out of my mind. This is the first book of a new series that follows Jeff Stones The Five Ancestors Series.

Phoenix is a great character, very realisti
Andi Raney
Jun 05, 2012 Andi Raney marked it as to-read
Book Summery (Summery from Amazon):

It is 350 years after the events of The Five Ancestors. Phoenix Collns lives in Indiana with his grandfather who is teaching him kung fu. But Phoenix's real love is dirt-bike racing. When unsettling events reveal that his grandfather is not only one of the legendary five Cangzhen monks, but also almost 400 years old, Phoenix must race the clock if he is going to keep his beloved ancestor alive. Traveling to China, he meets an intriguing young woman who is a tal
Andrew P
Sep 14, 2014 Andrew P rated it really liked it
Out of the ashes, Phoenix by Jeff Stone is an action packed book with many fights and mysteries. This book is packed with a lot of biking and a large amount of kung-fu. This book includes gun fights and some deaths but isn't gory. Out of the ashes, Phoenix has a lot of adventure in China and also back in Texas. If you have read any of The five Ancestors series, then you will be sure to like this book.
Nancy
May 27, 2013 Nancy rated it liked it
This is the first book in a follow up series to Stone’s Five Ancestors series. In this book, we meet Phoenix, an orphaned teenager from Indiana. He loves trail bike racing and is pretty good at it. When he learns that his grandfather is actually almost 400 years old, things get interesting for him. He is soon off to China to get back the dragon bone that has been keeping his grandfather alive. More adventures await as he tries to get the dragon bone back from some super bad guys.
Conor
Oct 22, 2015 Conor rated it it was amazing
I personally loved this book because of the contrast between Old china and modern day lifestyle. For example Phoenix the main character is faced with a problem and is drived too keep his 670+ life cheating grandfather alive because he lost his substance that keeps him alive and must travel to china and find an old temple where his grandpas substance too cheat life lies. The story faces with many different conflicts and that is why i like it.
Robyn
Jul 09, 2012 Robyn rated it it was amazing
I can't believe I knew who the villain was from the very beginning, it was interesting how I was thrown off of that. I enjoyed Jeff Stone bringing the characters of the past back to the present; it was nice encountering all those characters again, but with a new main protagonist and a new cast of characters. I wonder how Jeff Stone will choose to continue the next volume because this book itself felt wrapped up.
The Styling Librarian
Dec 29, 2012 The Styling Librarian rated it really liked it
Phoenix - The Five Ancestors Out of the Ashes Book 1 by Jeff Stone - Fascinating to see how Jeff Stone jumps forward in time to set up a whole new captivating adventure and incorporating the former ancestors into the story as well. Really enjoyed. Reminded me of how the author Susan Fletcher created Ancient Strange and Lovely - the gorgeous follow up to her Dragon Chronicles series jumping forward into present time but pulling along the strings of the past stories we loved.
Beth
May 22, 2016 Beth rated it liked it
Shelves: 4th-grade
I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this book. It's one of my summer book discussion books, and I cannot wait to see what the kids think of it. It's so full of action. From the kung fu to the mountain bike racing, I think boys will especially enjoy this book. The girls will enjoy the female main character a lot too...she's feisty! It's a great story that will have the kids wanting to read the rest of the books!
Felicia
Aug 31, 2015 Felicia rated it really liked it
Combining competitive cycling and martial arts seems like an odd choice, but Jeff Stone melds the two disciplines perfectly. While this follows the events of the first Five Ancestors series, it is voiced in a manner that a new reader could start here without being totally lost. Knowledge of the original series makes this a far richer experience.
Janet
Apr 17, 2015 Janet rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story!

I really enjoyed this new addition to the Five Ancestors series. I read that series several years ago and just learned about the new Out of the Ashes series. If this is the first book you've read by Jeff Stone, I recommend that you go back and read the original series. It's mainly for younger readers, but I loved it at age 61.
An Odd1
Nov 30, 2016 An Odd1 rated it it was ok
I like China visit - too short, tough wily girl for side-kick. If you like bikes, bike helmets, bike races, bike racetracks, then this teen guy is your hero. I also feel manipulated to skip to the first Ancient series, so I won't.
Lily
Nov 12, 2012 Lily rated it it was ok
it was ok.....
Launna
Feb 26, 2014 Launna rated it it was ok
Shelves: m-s-shelf
There was a murder in this book that was unsettling. Also other violence.
Garrett Carey
Dec 01, 2016 Garrett Carey rated it really liked it
Very cool
Charlie
Jan 23, 2013 Charlie rated it it was amazing
Loved this bookZ. Could not put it down. A lot more happened then I expected. There is a lot of double crossing and that stuff, though.
Red T
Dec 17, 2012 Red T rated it did not like it
Very interesting, some parts were climactic and exciting, others not so much. But a very good book.
San
Oct 21, 2012 San rated it liked it
Phoenix goes to china to find dragon bone, which is greatly needed to save his grandfather's life. He encounters more trouble, including the guys who stole his grandfather's stash.
India
Dec 28, 2012 India rated it really liked it
Can't wait for the 2nd book!!!!!!!!
Kirai Maria
Jun 27, 2014 Kirai Maria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm beyond amazed at Jeff Stone's ability to switch voices so drastically yet so successfully!
Can't wait to read Lion!
Susanna Chan
Mar 10, 2013 Susanna Chan rated it really liked it
Better written than the last few Five Ancestors series as it has less Chinese historical or cultural content to go wrong.
Brian
Brian rated it it was amazing
Jan 13, 2013
Luq Maan
Luq Maan rated it it was amazing
Mar 02, 2015
Anitha
Anitha rated it liked it
Jan 10, 2016
  • Tangi's Teardrops: A Single Tear Will Change Everything...
  • Pale
  • Millicent Marie Is Not My Name
  • The Enchanted Truth
  • Spirits of the Noh (The Waking, #2)
  • A Tale of Two Mommies
  • The Field of Wacky Inventions (Floors #3)
  • Wilde's Army (Darkness Falls, #2)
  • The True Adventures of Nicolo Zen
  • A Thunderous Whisper
  • Sprite (Annabelle's Story, #1)
  • After Eli
  • Mamba Point
  • Only One Year
  • Four in the Morning
  • One Year in Coal Harbor (Coal Harbour #2)
  • The Black Paw (Spy Mice, #1)
  • The Unicorn Thief (Unicorns of the Mist, #2)
Jeff Stone is the author of the ALA and IRA award-winning Five Ancestors series with more than 600,000 copies sold in 14 languages. When that series concluded, he wanted to do something different than another tale set in seventeenth-century China. However, he was reluctant to completely let go of kung fu or the characters he had grown to love. So he created an opportunity to update them to his own ...more
More about Jeff Stone...

Five Ancestors: Out of the Ashes (3 books)
  • Lion (Five Ancestors: Out of the Ashes, #2)
  • Jackal (Five Ancestors: Out of the Ashes, #3)