Start by marking “The Black Stallion's Filly (The Black Stallion, #8)” as Want to Read:
The Black Stallion's Filly (The Black Stallion, #8)

The Black Stallion's Filly (The Black Stallion #8)

4.07  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,403 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
"She’ll never be a racehorse,” murmurs the crowd as Black Minx is led into the sales ring. But Alec Ramsay thinks differently and buys the Black’s first filly to train her for the Kentucky Derby. But Black Minx, like her sire, has a mind of her own. This fast-paced racing story follows a great horse’s journey through training and preliminary races to the opening gate at Am ...more
Published (first published 1952)

To ask other readers questions about The Black Stallion's Filly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Black Stallion's Filly

Gerri Leen
May 03, 2014 Gerri Leen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my absolute favorite of all the Black Stallion books (my second favorite would be The Black Stallion's Courage, which not coincidentally also involves the filly from this book but also has an amazing look at The Black, as well). Walter Farley was my favorite horse writer growing up, and I snarfed down these books like they were candy--and I'm old enough that they were still coming out new when I was reading them, and the wait often felt interminable. I didn't enjoy the Island Stallion s ...more
Swaps55
Aug 29, 2007 Swaps55 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: horse lovers
Shelves: young-adult
Next to the Black Stallion itself, this is my favorite book of the series. How can you not adore Black Minx, this spunky, contrary filly who takes on the task of all tasks? Again, Farley's ability to capture the thrill of a race and still meet the suspenion-of-disbelief limits of an actual racing fan is superb. He puts you right in the middle of the action and gives you a thrill that's as legit as watching the real thing. When I was a kid, I used to corrall my friends into pretending to be all t ...more
Elizabeth
Sep 17, 2012 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is Walter Farley at his best-- believable, drawing, captivating. As the reader, I was drawn into every hoof beat, every struggle, every moment of Black Minx and her journey into becoming the first filly sired by the great Black Stallion.

In my opinion, Walter Farley was *the* horse author for children. There has never been anyone quite like him, especially for boys. His horses are majestic creatures who can only be tamed by the force of love... quite a beautiful theme that runs through
Tania
Feb 02, 2016 Tania rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rereading The Black Stallion series as an adult, I find that it holds true to what I remember of it. The series as a whole, and most of the books as individuals, captures your heart and your imagination, and keeps you breathlessly waiting for more. The Black Stallion's Filly is no different. Here we meet Black Minx, a young filly out of The Black who ends up on the auction block. Henry Dailey wastes no time bringing her back into the Hopeful Farm pack. Though she's been spoiled and abused, and t ...more
Dark-Draco
The next instalment in the series finds Alec running Hopeful farm, where he's breeding a string of potential racehorses from the Black. And when Satan is injured on the track, he joins them at the farm too. For Alec, it is more than he dreamed for, but Henry is bored, wanting to train. So he tracks down one of the Black's early foals, a filly called Black Minx, and buys her. Like all of the Black's family, she isn't easy and soon the two of them have their work cut out fooling her into becoming ...more
Lindsay
Jun 29, 2014 Lindsay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another Farley favorite from my childhood. I still remember the hot potato trick to cure Black Minx's biting, and wondering if that would actually work! I also remember reading that in this book, Regret was the only filly who had ever won the Derby (1915), and being amazed that the book was written long before Genuine Risk (1980) or Winning Colors (1988) won.
Melody
Aug 12, 2011 Melody rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Farley waxes pretty philosophical in this book about Black Minx, a filly owned by Henry Dailey. There's a lot here about heart, about gameness, about the will to win, and a fair bit about how being up on a horse in the Kentucky Derby will turn a boy into a man. I wonder how all those jockeys who never rode the Derby got to be men? Farley doesn't address that- some things are too deep even for an old horseman to touch.

Solid, engaging, and as ever, Farley's race scenes are pulse-poundingly excitin
Amanda Lagrow
Jul 12, 2015 Amanda Lagrow rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Black Minx is my favorite racehorse ever!
Womana
Jun 23, 2012 Womana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always enjoy a horse story written by someone who actually has experience with horses. No ridiculous situations that could never happen, or anthropomorphic behavior from the horse. Lots of tension building up to the big race, and he makes you nervous about the outcome even though you really know how it is going to turn out. Farley keeps you in doubt just the same. Only truly great storytelling can keep you engaged and guessing all the way. An enjoyable read with the message not to make assumpt ...more
Reza
Shelves: children-s-books
my daughter's book.
Brenn
Jun 15, 2013 Brenn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Black Minx is one of my all time favorite characters. It's great to see this type of personality in books or movies, and I wish we could get more like her, in any species or format.

The Black Minx has her own mind and way of doing things, and she's not going to let any slow human tell her what to do. Until Alec Ramsey and his mentor Henry find a way to unlock the puzzle of what she wants. It's the Minx who drives this story, not the humans. And that's one of my favorite things about how Farle
Wendy
Aug 23, 2015 Wendy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This and The Black Stallion's Blood Bay Colt were my favorites of the series. I liked both Black Minx and her boyfriend horse. ;)

The fact that Alec and Henry had to get so creative was interesting and entertaining, and while she was definitely a diva, I very much enjoyed Black Minx and her antics. This was just fun.
Hildegart
Sep 27, 2012 Hildegart rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horses
The filly who didn't want to race/win. Black Minx definitely had her own personality and even had a distinct tail- one made up of hairs from other horses. Genuine Risk was the next filly to win the Kentucky Derby in 1980. After that it was Winning Colors in 1988. WC finished third in the Preakness like Black Minx did.
Morgan
Mar 20, 2011 Morgan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In The Black Stallion's Filly, Alec and his trainer Henry work together on Alec's family farm. When Henry buys Black's daughter, he has a few querks to get out of her. One is she won't run, above a gallop. Can Alec and Henry get Black Minx to run for them Before they go for the Centuky Derby?
Maya Rock
Aug 30, 2007 Maya Rock rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OK, this is my last review of the day.
Obviously I was ecstatic to be reading about a female horse. Black Minx is a filly and then she, if my recollection is correct, wins the Kentucky Derby. I don't know if she is the first filly to do so but it is, I believe extremely rare.
Serena
Sep 22, 2015 Serena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animals

My Rating System:
Sharon
Jan 09, 2010 Sharon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childhood, horses
I raced through this series as a child. Of course, "The Black Stallion" was my favorite, and I read it a few times, but I waited eagerly for any of the books to return to my branch of the library so I could snap them up.
Bea
Overly long, felt unrealistic. Good to see the underdog win. Liked the exploration of Alec & Henry's relationship but there was lots of telling, not enough showing. It's interesting re-reading these as an adult.
Bonnie
Jul 26, 2011 Bonnie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Black Stallion's Filly and The Black Stallion Revolts by Walter Farley - Two of the ones I actually liked again, after a streak of books in the series that I found I didn't care much for as an adult.
Lori
The first book was the story of a boy and a horse, but the series grows with books on similar themes of overcoming adversity and animal/human bonding. Loved them as a kid.
Mae
Mar 27, 2012 Mae rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, youngadult
One of my top five favorite books of all time. You don't have to be a female HUMAN to be a bad ass female. Seriously. Love this book. I re-read this at least once a year.
Lynne Stringer
I like the temperamental Black Minx a lot and enjoyed reading about her training and the frustrations that went along with it. It was an entertaining story.
Jackie Krasuski
There was not a Black Stallion book that I could ever put down. The stories are the best.
Amadis
Mar 26, 2012 Amadis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm so glad Black Minx won the Kentucky Derby. That was really exciting.
Brandy
Oct 02, 2012 Brandy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I promised myself that one day I would own a horse named "Black Minx".
-?
Jessica
Mar 09, 2009 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorites. I swore I would one day own a horse called Black Minx.
Tara Calaby
I gobbled up all of these books when I was in my horse phase.
Travis E
Jan 19, 2010 Travis E rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is very good i think horses are absoulutly bellisimo!!!!!!!
Charles
Aug 05, 2008 Charles rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
Certainly readable, but not one of the stronger books in the series.
  • Born to Trot
  • The Black Stallion's Steeplechaser (Black Stallion Returns, #2)
  • Sierra's Steeplechase (Thoroughbred, #8)
  • Gypsy from Nowhere (Gypsy, #1)
  • Green Grass of Wyoming (Flicka, #3)
Walter Farley's love for horses began when he was a small boy living in Syracuse, New York, and continued as he grew up in New York City, where his family moved. Young Walter never owned a horse. But unlike most city children, he had little trouble gaining firsthand experience with horses-his uncle was a professional horseman, and Walter spent much of his time at the stables with him.

"He wasn't th
More about Walter Farley...

The Black Stallion (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • The Black Stallion (The Black Stallion, #1)
  • The Black Stallion Returns (The Black Stallion, #2)
  • Son of the Black Stallion (The Black Stallion, #3)
  • The Island Stallion (The Black Stallion, #4)
  • The Black Stallion and Satan (The Black Stallion, #5)
  • The Black Stallion's Blood Bay Colt (The Black Stallion, #6)
  • The Island Stallion's Fury (The Black Stallion, #7)
  • The Black Stallion Revolts (The Black Stallion, #9)
  • The Black Stallion's Sulky Colt (The Black Stallion, #10)
  • The Island Stallion Races (The Black Stallion, #11)