Start by marking “Masters of Disaster” as Want to Read:
Masters of Disaster

Masters of Disaster

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  425 ratings  ·  111 reviews
Henry Mosley decides that he and his pals Riley and Reed need to go on some earth-shaking adventures and make a name for themselves. Henry is the mastermind; Riley's the researcher who's prepared for anything. And somehow fearful Reed always ends up with the scariest, craziest assignments. Roped into wacky attempts to break world records, reenact scenes from books, solve a...more
Audio CD
Published January 20th 2011 by Brilliance Audio (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Masters of Disaster, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Masters of Disaster

S18sisper
This Book was great! Throughout the book Henry, Reed, and Riley are trying to break world records. Henry the leader of the clan is always trying to think of things that the boys can do, like jumpung off the roof of the house, swimming with sharks, and even riding a skateboard down a 50 foot slide. At the beginning of the book Reed and Riley are realy shocked by what Henry thinks of. Reed is a school person and Riley i would say is like a nerd. One day the boys met for there biggest plan yet. Hen...more
Leo
I recently finished Gary Paulsen's (very humorous) Masters of Disaster. It is about a group of kids who have, well, a limited amount of common sense. They are really just, as the title suggests, masters of disaster. After first trying to break a world record by biking off a roof into a trash can full of baby diapers, they figure out they need to do some more interesting things with their life. Paulsen makes the boys a perfect match for each other. One a daredevil, one a man with a maybe not s...more
Lucia
This is one of the funniest Gary Paulsen books I have read! It was laugh-out-loud funny. I tried reading it to my sons and didn't think they were listening, but found out later that they could recite the parts I read to them. Now I am concerned they will try to ride their bike off the roof!

Three boys, with one clearly in charge, decide to make their life more exciting by trying crazy stunts to get them into a world record book. Henry is the brains, Riley is the secretary and Reed, well, Reed is...more
Elizabeth
Well read as an audio book. Saw this review from GreenBeanTeenQueen: http://www.greenbeanteenqueen.com/201.... I have no brothers and live in a girl world so 1) it's not my personal style though I can imagine it would appeal to boys especially but 2) the question arises, perhaps ignorantly, are we just giving boys more crazy (and dangerous) ideas to try? And though noted in the book, the friendship dynamic is not exactly healthy ... Reed totally needs to stand up for himself!
Sawyer
Sawyer Beyrouty
Master of Disaster

The book Master of Disaster was written by Gary Paulsen, and published by Scholastic Inc. in 2010. This book has 102 pages, and it's a fiction. There are three kids who think they are so boring. They have to take care of the neighbors dog. The kids did that then sends one of them off the roof, onto the diving board and into a garbage can of diapers. Then they go dumpster diving at their schools dump. A few days later they went to their grandpas farm and road a...more
Shannon
This book is the perfect read aloud. It's HILARIOUS. And Gary freaking Paulsen has the characters reading freaking HATCHET at school, which...... he wrote. A short book full of poop jokes and awesomeness.
Peep (Pop! Pop!)
Had to listen because it was Nick Podehl and to be honest I am kinda obsessed with the dude. Enjoyable book. Loved the adventures and good to see friends being friends. Was kind of sad to see it was over.

I enjoyed it because I took it for what it was, a couple of kids doing things. There really isn't a plot. Things just happen and Nick Podehl, the narrator, makes it fun to listen to.

Henry came up with some good ideas but he really should have brought along a camera! How could you do all those s...more
Teresa
Paulsen strikes again with another zany adventure book. Henry Mosley has plans for himself and his two friends, Riley Dolen and Reed Hamner. He announces a series of plans to "Prove Our Manhood and show us What We're Made Of. And if we play our cards right, we might just Alter the Course of History a time or two. And, of course, Impress Girls and Get Them to Notice Us."

However, none of the tasks goes exactly as planned, but all are deemed huge successes, although each one somehow ends up with th...more
Sarah W
I found this book to be shriek-out loud hilarious. While some could say this book is lacking in plot, I found the mayhem caused and endured by these characters more than made up for that. Henry is the master schemer of plots. His friend Riley is always prepared for everything and can pull anything from first aid kits to college pamphlets from his sack. It is poor Reed who ends up doing the dangerous, dirty and smelly work in all these schemes.

It starts with wanting to set a world record for bic...more
Luca H
I really enjoyed this book; it has really changed my mind on how I didn’t like stunts before, and now the stunts they did have really changed my mine. I would recommend this book to ages 9-12. Kids these ages would probably understand this book better that older kids would. This book is about a kid named Henry Mosley, and he gets him and his friends together to do some crazy stunts. They do these stunts because they want to be cool because they are not the coolest people, and they want the girls...more
Lisa Mckay
Henry, Reed, and Riley are three twelve-year old boys on a mission for adventure. It all started one day when Henry came to the conclusion that they needed to stop sitting around and make a name for themselves. One by one, Henry came up with missions for the group. Their missions included things such as breaking records and solving mysteries. Each adventure had its fair share of difficulties such as tiger encounters and diapers in the face, but nothing stopped the trio. Along the way, the boys h...more
I LOVE this book! Gary Paulsen is an awesome author, if you are looking for a fun, enjoyable and entertaining read for young people - try one of his many titles.
I actually laughed out loud during several of the adventures in this book, something that I wish I could say happened to me more often... I read lots and lots of books in an effort to supplement / enrich my class reading list(s).
I originally picked it up to appease my curiousity... our school library has this book listed as a middle gra...more
Denise
If you are looking for a fun book to read aloud to your boys, look no further than this book.

Recommended to me by a friend, it was an easy choice to read since my oldest son is a Gary Paulsen fan.

While this book may be a great read for any boy, reading it aloud to my boys was such fun! We laughed at all the funny parts and whenever I glanced up from reading, they were enthralled, hanging on every word. Their giggles were my favorite part of this book.

The book follows three boys as they try to b...more
Leeann
A short book full of fun and disaster, though it is clear that the boys' sense for adventure far outweighed their common sense. I had to wonder -- where were these boys' parents? Still, I enjoyed the humor.
Deanna Brooks
Henry has decided that he and his friends will no longer live the mediocre existence they have been living. As of today, Reed, Riley and himself will embark on an agenda of adventure. At age 12, these three will attempt to prove their manhood by becoming "men of action." Some of the extreme stunts Henry thinks up for the trio are bicycling off a neighbors roof, riding a rodeo bull and dumpster diving.

Gary Paulsen is an author known for his humorous and light-hearted tales. Young teens will find...more
Afton Nelson
I wish someone would publish my book with no plot, but I guess when your name is Gary Paulson, regular writing rules don't necessarily apply. Not that this book isn't fun and entertaining. It's just a bunch of chapters strung together about 3 boys who come up with different extreme stunts to pull off. Well, one boy thinks of the stunts, another records the details of the stunts and blogs about it, and the third kid is the schmuck who gets roped into actually doing the stunts--each one dragging h...more
Richelle
Off the "New Books" shelf at the library is where I picked up Masters of Disaster. I knew the author, Gary Paulsen, from Hatchet so I thought I'd see what the latest from him is like. I'd say the book is for boys grades 3-5 and maybe a little older depending on their interests. There are three friends who go through self-created adventures like crazy bike stunts, scientifically examining the contents of school dumpsters, staying in the woods overnight survival-style with no supplies and more. No...more
LuAnn
Perfect for the preteen boy. Just make sure they don't actually try any of these crazy escapades!
Austinhunter
I really liked this book. I like these books that have a lot of stuff in them or that don't really have any boring parts in them and this is one of those books. This book is full of things a dare devil would do. I also like it how it is three average kids doing this, and they are actually pretty smart. I also like it how they only think positively and never think of the bad thing that could happen when they are doing something that could result in injury. I think it is weird how one of the boys...more
Beth Nieman
Jan 11, 2014 Beth Nieman rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Middle grades, especially boys
Gary Paulsen does a great job writing for young readers. Boys will especially like this title because it's got some great action, feats of daring, and epic disasters. The narrative maintains momentum and keeps readers interested. I don't know how Mr. Paulsen manages to pack so much reading enjoyment into his short books!
Holly Burke
Great book for boys! Could be a funny quick class read aloud also.
Janice
Another book I bought in memory of my cat. Good boys' book to read.
Katie
Great for 5th grade boys not my genre.
Keri
Great book for 3-6 grade boys!
katsok
I'm a bit confused. This book is called Masters of Disaster like the cover shows, not Henry, but whatever. :) Love Gary Paulsen. This is a fast, fun, read about three boys: Henry, Reed, and Riley. Henry decides they need more adventure in their lives and each chapter follows another adventure. Usually Henry is the brains behind the adventure, Reed is the fall guy and always ends up stinking afterwards, and Riley is the scribe. I think boys especially will enjoy this one.
Marie
Do you know an upper-elementary/middle school boy who isn't wild about reading? Give him this book! Gary Paulsen once again writes the hilarious misadventures of a small group of boys. Henry is the idea man, whose flair for the dramatic creates life-threatening deeds of daring-do. Riley is the scientist, always prepared for anything. And Reed...usually ends up in some sort of doody. Each chapter is an adventure, so this book can be read in small segments. All around great fun!
Carol Royce Owen
I grew up with four older brothers, and so this humor was right up my alley, yes, even all of the doody references. I read it with a group of fourth grade students to introduce them to Gary Paulsen, and they LOVED it. And I loved it yesterday with some of them came in to class and said, "Guess what! We looked in the library and there were lots of Gary Paulsen books!" In their hands were their new choices...more flames ignited...I'm beginning to feel like a pyromaniac!
Megan
Usually when I start books where I can't stand the characters, I put the book down. I kept reading this book because it is in both the elementary and junior high book competition. It's in both competitions so it must be good, I kept telling myself.

This book is about a boy who decides to have adventures with his friends. The first adventure is to drive a bike off of a three story house, and somehow the child didn't die or even have major injuries.
Katie I
This is another book in Gary Paulsen's latest group of short, fun novels. I truly enjoyed this book! It involves three boys in Cleveland who decided they need adventure to live a more exciting life and maybe get the attention of some cute girls. The characters are unique and their adventures are entertaining. The writing isn't Newbery winning but I am pretty sure it will win the hearts of 4th and 5th grade boys!
Alyssa
Another book Brooklyn is supposed to read. This one wasn't bad. It was about 3 12 year old boys who think life is too boring so they create their own adventures. I reminded me of the Great Brain series. It is short and kids would find it pretty funny. I would say the target audience would be 3-5 grade boys. They would love this book & get a lot of the humor, which as a mother, was not quite as funny to me.
  • The Ghostwriter Secret (Brixton Brothers #2)
  • Griff Carver, Hallway Patrol
  • The Loser List
  • Archvillain (Archvillain, #1)
  • Go Big or Go Home
  • Olivia Kidney
  • Super Burp! (George Brown, Class Clown, #1)
  • Snatched (Bloodwater Mysteries, #1)
  • Phineas L. MacGuire . . . Erupts!: The First Experiment
  • School, Drool, and Other Daily Disasters (Justin Case, #1)
  • The Adventures of Beanboy
  • Planet Tad
  • The PS Brothers
  • Vanishing Acts
  • Loch
  • Project Sweet Life
  • The Memory Bank
  • The Brooklyn Nine
Although he was never a dedicated student, Paulsen developed a passion for reading at an early age. After a librarian gave him a book to read--along with his own library card--he was hooked. He began spending hours alone in the basement of his apartment building, reading one book after another.

Running away from home at the age of 14 and traveling with a carnival, Paulsen acquired a taste for adve...more
More about Gary Paulsen...
Hatchet (Brian's Saga, #1) Brian's Winter (Brian's Saga, #3) The River (Brian's Saga, #2) Brian's Return (Brian's Saga, #4) Brian's Hunt (Brian's Saga, #5)