Start by marking “The Abominable Charles Christopher (Book 1)” as Want to Read:
The Abominable Charles Christopher (Book 1)

The Abominable Charles Christopher (Book 1)

4.58 of 5 stars 4.58  ·  rating details  ·  146 ratings  ·  20 reviews
The Abominable Charles Christopher follows the adventures of a dim-witted yeti through a forest full of colourful animal characters.

Who is Charles? Where did he come from? Where is he going? He knows about as much as you do - probably much less, actually - and his adventure is just beginning.
Published October 2011 by Abominable Books (first published May 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Abominable Charles Christopher, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Abominable Charles Christopher

Gunnerkrigg Court, Vol. 1 by Thomas SiddellHark! A Vagrant by Kate Beatonxkcd by Randall MunroeNimona by Noelle StevensonQuestionable Content, Vol. 1 by Jeph Jacques
Webcomics
34th out of 180 books — 81 voters
Bone, Vol. 1 by Jeff SmithMouse Guard by David PetersenAmulet, Vol. 1 by Kazu KibuishiOz by Eric ShanowerMouse Guard by David Petersen
All Ages Comics and Graphic Novels
71st out of 94 books — 36 voters

More lists with this book...

Wil Wheaton
This is absolutely wonderful. I got it at a con early this year, read it in one sitting, then read it again and, and one more time. It's just a beautiful story, with beautiful characters, and manages to be sad, funny, and heartwarming without ever making you feel manipulated.
Jess
This is a wonderful book, and has made its way onto my favourite's list.
Kerschl is such an amazing writer. Every word is so carefully thought out, and he never overwrites and info-dumps like some web comics do. With just a few words, he made me laugh madly, and then bawl my eyes out over a broken heart on the next page. And sometimes he doesn't even use words. Sometimes he conveys such a strong message just by a few panels of art alone.
This book is amazing. It really is. It hurt so wonderfully.
Y
G.B. Gordon
This is just utterly gorgeous, and I follow Charles's adventures with bated breath every week. Can't wait for the second book.
Lissibith
If you like comics and haven't read this yet? Read it.

The Abominable Charles Christopher began life as a web comic. If you can't get the book, go read it online. But read it. The art is beautiful, the story simplistic and the main character apparently mute, but the story it tells is powerfully moving and funny by turns, with quirky, engaging animal characters that give this book the feel of a cross between Bone and We3 (both of which I also recommend highly).

This is a very quick read, but you c
Mike
Nov 28, 2012 Mike rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Mike by: Webcomic Wonderland Group
This collection contains the first "chapter" of the webcomic "The Abominable Charles Christopher." It's two years worth of the weekly strip.

Note: I am reviewing the comics that comprise this book. I read them in their original webcomic form, not as printed.

The Abominable Charles Christopher is an unusual strip, and takes a while to really get going. Anthropomorphic animals and the titular Charles share "screen time" in several tangentially related gradually unfolding plotlines of drastically var
Rauf
Jan 19, 2011 Rauf rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Rauf by: a writer from cbr.com
I have not read this de-luxe, hardcover, collected edition. I've only heard about Charles Christopher this morning. Before the day is over, I have read 3 years worth of strips, each and every one of them, that Kerschl (and a number of special guest artists) made. You can check them too at http://abominable.cc -- it's on the house.

Read from the very beginning. The story was beautiful and could be very touching sometimes, the toned drawings are just fantastic--can't get enough of it, and it was as
Judd Karlman
Dec 16, 2010 Judd Karlman rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who liked Smith's graphic novel, Bone.
Shelves: fantasy, ya
The Abominable Charles Christopher is the worthy predecessor to Smith's graphic novel, Bone. It has a similar vibe, with adorable talking animals and good humor wrapped around an epic fantasy story that is unfolding at a slow and easy pace.

Unlike Bone, ACC is a print version of a web comic with a really pretty book, though pricey, well worth it in order to support an independent creator. The web comic medium means that each page feels like a complete moment but these moments add up and the pacin
Adam Adamson
Apr 28, 2013 Adam Adamson rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: comic book lovers, animal lovers
This is an original, endearing and beautifully drawn graphic novel. It started as one of the top webcomics and quickly bagged its creator an Eisner award for best digital comic.

The story is about a child-like sasquatch called Charles Christopher and his journey through a forest that is faced with destruction. His trip sees him make both plenty of friend and enemies of the animals within the forest, and through this Charles manages to grow up a bit and learn something about himself.

The themes don
Sebastien Desnoyers
I like the art, the story is a bit mysterious. I'so glad I read the book , instead of each week a little part.

Cannot wait to read the rest of Charles adventures
Muneeb
A wonderful, imaginative and layered story blending sumerian mythology and fantasy with themes of environmentalism and animal liberation.
Oddly Robotic
Great book. Kerschl is as good as writer as he is an artist.
Twan
Jan 01, 2012 Twan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: comics
The first story arc of a continuing weekly web comic about a not very bright Yeti type creature, the forest wildlife and some woodland god like spirits. An all ages comedy/fantasy tale with gorgeous artwork, strong black inkwork with subtle grey washes. A joy that I reckon all of you would enjoy.

All if it is up to read free online although reading it in book form makes it feel more betterer ;)

Also, I got a great signed edition with an illustration by Karl -

Claire
A delight in every possible way.
Amanda
I picked this up on the recommendation of my friend Mark, whose taste I always trust, as he works in media and has a good sense of what is making waves but not necessarily on the mainstream radar. Charles Christopher is a great example of this. The art is incredible, the strips are emotionally impacting, and it is a great light read. I was so excited to discover, having purchased the paperback at TCAF, that it is a webcomic being released online, which means I don't have to wait to see where the ...more
Kate Blumenthal
I love it. I love owning it. I love taking it out of my bookshelf and opening it anywhere and being amazed. I love that the story does not end and maybe never will and that I don't understand obscure references to mythologies that may exist only in Kerschl's mind. I am reminded a bit of Zelazny's "To Die in Italbar" but this is more enjoyable. I only wish that I had a hard cover edition.
Gaelen
In my opinion, "The Abominable Charles Christopher" is one of the best running webcomics, and one of the most gorgeous. This is a very nice printing that does the art justice. And, I find that since this is weekly webcomic with a small fraction of the episodes actually advancing the plot, it is much easier to absorb in book form. Highly recommended!
Todd
Beautiful, emotional, simple, exquisitely drawn - easily one of the best webcomic-to-book transitions of all time. The story is beautiful and powerful, and has a sense of humor that is unique but universal.
Mirka
I'd already read this online, but it was well worth a re-read (and the price of buying it). The art is amazing, the strips range from laugh-out funny to heartbreaking, and the storyline is captivating.
Alissa Gabriel
I can't wait to follow up with Charles Christopher! And the rabbits! And the birds! And the fox (sniff). Really great work.
Morgan
Gorgeous, fun, and like any good indie comic, a little forlorn. I can't recommend it enough.
Fischer Cindy
Fischer Cindy marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Adam
Adam marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
Heather Acosta
Heather Acosta marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
  • Johnny Wander, Vol. 1: Don't Burn the House Down
  • Rice Boy
  • Gunnerkrigg Court, Vol. 3: Reason (Gunnerkrigg Court #3)
  • The Phoenix Requiem: Volume One
  • Namesake, Volume 1
  • Lackadaisy: Volume #1
  • Oglaf Book One
  • The Case of the Team Spirit (Bad Machinery, #1)
  • Cleopatra in Space #1: Target Practice (Cleopatra in Space, #1)
  • Digger, Volume One (Digger, #1)
  • Flight, Vol. 7 (Flight, #7)
  • Batwoman, Vol. 4: This Blood Is Thick
  • FreakAngels, Volume 4 (FreakAngels, #4)
  • Little Nemo in Slumberland - Too Many Splendid Sundays
  • Girls With Slingshots, Vol. 4
  • Birds of Prey, Vol. 7: Perfect Pitch
  • Octopus Pie: There Are No Stars in Brooklyn
Karl Kerschl is a Canadian comic book artist, best known for his work for DC Comics. His recent projects include Adventures of Superman, Majestic, The Flash (All-Flash #1) and Teen Titans: Year One. He is also the author of the webcomic The Abominable Charles Christopher

Kerschl was born in Toronto and raised in Niagara Falls. He attended the Ontario College of Art for a year before deciding to pra
More about Karl Kerschl...
Assassin's Creed Subject 4 The Abominable Charles Christopher (Vol. 2) Assassins Creed the Fall #3 Assassins Creed The Fall #2 Machine of Death: A Collection of Stories About People Who Know How They Will Die (Machine of Death #1)