Goblin Moon

Goblin Moon (The Goblin Moon Duology #1)

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  161 ratings  ·  28 reviews
GUNPOWDER AND ALCHEMY! When the Goblin Moon rises, strange things happen. Coffins float down the river, hobgoblins crawl out from their dens, alchemists pore over ancient texts in search of the art of creating life ... and one man fights a secret battle against cruelty and injustice, with wit, ingenuity, and a lethal lack of compunction.
Published September 30th 2011 by Lulu.com (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Goblin Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Goblin Moon

T.I.M. James
Goblin Moon is a book on a second lease of life. Originally published some time ago, and only to a state side audience it has now been reissued, making use of modern technologies, in both a physical and e-book format, and made available to the whole world, which can only be a good thing.

This is a fantasy book, but a fantasy book with a difference. The norm for fantasy seems to be set in a near medieval society, no real technology well we all know...

Goblin Moon bucks that trend giving a fantasy s...more
colleen the contrarian  ± (... never stop fighting) ±
2.5

This book was recommended to me as a proto-Steampunk. Since there are one, maybe two, elements remotely Steampunkish (i.e. clockwork musicians), and they are mentioned only in passing, I'd say it's very "proto".

So much for what it's not. What it is is a pretty decent story that reminded me of Swordspoint by Ellen Kushner, what with the multiple character perspectives, and the politics and intrigue, and this one's conning that one who's tricking that one, so on and so forth. Except this one re...more
Derek
I'd like to compare it to The Scarlet Pimpernel, possibly with a bit of Solomon Kane, but as yet haven't read either of those. It's definitely going for a fantasy of manners with swashbuckle elements, set in an analog of 18th century Europe--Euterpe?--on a fantasy Earth. That setting concept in itself was enough to attract my attention, because the usual Medieval mash-up of most fantasy gets tiresome and it's nice to see a mash-up of some other time period.

The story is loosely bound, with a numb...more
Miranda Davis
Sep 03, 2013 Miranda Davis rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 'historical' fantasy/adventure fans
This has been a delightful foray into fantasy of manners, but I am no wide reader in this genre so I may be pointing out stuff that's de rigeur. What I loved best was that the author sucked me into a completely 'other' world, reminiscent of 18th century England, with a moon on its elliptical orbit causing earthquakes and dangerously high tides that carve new river channels, scour graveyards and send coffins into the river to be fished from the rushing water by scavengers...The story never let me...more
Alice
I am so glad that this book is now available on Kindle. It was issued in paperback by Ace in 1991 and is not easily found. It is exactly such gems like GOBLIN MOON that elevate Kindle and other E-Books into their highest purpose. To make availible to all books from the past.

This is a meticulouly researched book is set in a fantasy world equivalent to Poland/Bohemia/Germany in the late 1700's. (Think Geo.Washington: powdered hair, red court heels for men, face patches.) It is not Medieval or Rege...more
Lee
A highly enjoyable romp though an alternate Regency England, where humans, Half blood faeries and gnomes and dwarfs (not entirely sure what the difference is between the last 2) co-exist peacefully, where magic and alchemy are practised, where blood drinking, flesh eating trolls disguise themselves as humans and mix in high society and where hobgoblins are to be watched out for when the moon is full.
It has excitement, humour, genuinely creepy/disturbing moments and even some touches of Georgette...more
Brownbetty
One of the all-too-rare inhabitants of the fantasy of manners genre, and a bit like reading a Georgette Heyer where the McGuffin just happens to be magical. What could be better than secret assignations, swordsmen, and masked balls? All of the above plus magic, obviously.

Edgerton handles the large cast with ease, possibly because the reader is already familiar with the principles: there is the Rake, the Ageing Belle, the Feisty Heroine, etc., but quite three dimensional.

I have actually read Edge...more
J.L. Dobias
I acquired Goblin Moon by Teresa Edgerton recently in E-book format. I found it to be entertaining.

If you are a fan of Dumas, Dickens, and Tolkien. You'll love this. Add a bit of Shelly and you round it out.

The richness of description of the world of the Goblin Moon are reminiscent of Charles Dickens. While the lead Female character would be likened to Little Dorrit. The depth of intrigue is similar to the work of Alexander Dumas. The Male lead is in someways like the Count of Monte Cristo. Thro...more
K. Bird
For anyone who likes detailed, fantastical world settings or a kind of regency feel to a story, this story totally would satisfy.

It's kind of a cross between a world like Pride and Prejudice where the women's fates really do depend on who they marry, and a kind of darkish fantasy world-building reminiscent of China Mieville's work, as well as a subdued romance.

I liked it very much. My only quibbles were the open ending that did not resolve some emotional and plot arcs (I know, I know, first in...more
Jane
This book, I can see that would definitely appeal to other readers. It had alot of mystery, Interesting plot points and even more interesting characters.

Unfortunately I found the book very uniteresting. I kept skimming chapters, And couldn't find any that held my interest very long.

It, to me, was not written very well. Though I can see how others would enjoy it, I just couldn't find any pleasure in reading it.

It was very slow paced, Which usually I don't mind, But it just didn't have anything...more
Joy
I came across this out-of-print fantasy of manners at Half Price Books, and snapped it up, because I've had trouble tracking it down before. It's a novel with several intertwined subplots: a bookseller and his crony find a coffin filled with rare books (and other things), a vigilante takes on magical evildoers under the guise of an aristocratic fop, a strong-willed young lady tries to save her cousin from making a disastrous marriage. I wish the different subplots had come together a little bett...more
ala
Really liked this one, but maybe almost entirely for the supporting hero, Skelbrooke, who is something of a cross between Percy Blakely and... a schizophrenic, drug addict with a noble streak (having trouble thinking of a second apt comparison -- perhaps speaking to this character's uniqueness.) Although the steam-punk setting is pretty cool, the mystery itself, was not particularly gripping, and the scenes without either Skelbrooke or the heroine tended to drag.

I tried reading the follow-up no...more
Katie Montgomery
When I started reading this book, I think at one point I literally said, out loud, "This is my jam." And in many, many ways, it was -- but ultimately it was a little draggy and a little unevenly paced, and the characterizations were a little ... hmm ... done. Overall, though. entertaining.
Margaret (Margot)
While I enjoyed this book overall, it really didn't pick up for until 50% and that is why I give it a 3 vs. 4 star rating. The descriptions are very well done, and the story is interesting and unique. I experienced moments of picturing Panem from Hunger Games - that is how descriptive it was. An escape of good versus evil, determining the quality of each character becomes a puzzle for the reader. It was cleverly done but needed a bit more of a pace to keep the reader enthralled.
Laylah
I appreciate that the author pulled no punches to preserve the fate of any particular character. That lends some mildly surprising elements to the book of which rhythms are off somehow. The romance itself that comes full force near the end feels forced because of very few interactions between the leads. There are a lot left dangling, and though Goblin Moon doesn't wow me, it intrigues me enough to order the sequel, The Gnome's Engine.
Kristin
I think I preferred this one over the first book. The plot was very obvious in this book. You knew exactly what the characters were doing and for what purpose. Which helped me read to see how the accomplished their goals. I was a little surprised at the Duchess's role in the end...seemed a little deus ex machina for my tastes, but still a good read.
Cecily

I think I was just not in the mood to start this book. It's not that there is anything to object to and I am sure, in other circumstances I might have enjoyed reading this very much. So I have archived the book in the hope I will come back to it later in a different frame of mind to enter the author's world.
Arwen
May 29, 2011 Arwen rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy Lovers
Shelves: four-star
This book reminded me of The Scarlet Pimpernel with a fantasy setting. Lots of creepy villains and a intriguing world that is very similar and yet different from our own. Sera was an engaging heroine and I loved Skelbrooke. I look forward to reading the sequel.
Clarissa
An entertaining well written fantasy. I have greatly decreased how much fantasy I read as so many books just couldn't make me care about the characters. This is not a problem in Goblin Moon. There is intrigue, magic, swashbuckling and a fully realized world.
Becca R.G.
I borrowed this from Ferret. It started off very slowly, and I was worried that it would be so much about society that the plot would never get going. I was wrong. It turned out to be very engaging, and I'd actually like a sequel.
Barbara
Dickensesque. Much grit, then later, a wisp of Pickwick. Sadly I got bored and was far from pleased with the unresolved ending. I have, however, ordered the second book to see....
Not the best read-aloud book, but it's still a good read. It makes me want to go re-read Child of Saturn--at least down the road.
Kathleen
This is one of those humorous books that did not work for me. My friends found it hilarious, but I thought it was rather silly.
Greyer
Thrilling, Amusing, rather like a comedy of manners with goblins.
Punk
Jun 12, 2008 Punk marked it as find-and-read  ·  review of another edition
4 stars from brownbetty. May have a prequel or sequel. Investigate.
Susan
I like the world building in this one.
Paulina
Paulina marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Eirelan
  • Soulrazor (Blood Skies, #3)
  • The High-Wizard’s Hunt
  • Broods of Fenrir (Broods of Fenrir, #1)
  • Erekos
  • Legacy (The Niteclif Evolutions, #1)
  • The Steerswoman (The Steerswoman, #1)
  • The Hounds of God (The Hound and the Falcon, #3)
  • Bonded (ShadowLight Saga, #1)
  • Stained Glass Monsters (Eferum, #1)
  • Dark Horse (Dark Horse #1)
  • Gate of Ivrel (Morgaine Saga, #1)
  • The Spinster's Secret
  • Point of Hopes (Astreiant, #1)
  • The Choosing: Book One of the Blood and Brotherhood Saga
  • Ware Hawk (Witch World Series 1: Estcarp Cycle, #7)
  • The Porcelain Dove
  • Kings, Queens, Heroes, & Fools (The Wardstone Trilogy, #2)
Teresa Edgerton insists that she has been telling stories since she first learned to talk. Sixty years later, she is still inventing them.

In her blind optimism, when she first began writing seriously, she never thought it would take ten years to write, sell, and see her first novel published. Ignorance may not be bliss, she says, but it can be a great encouragement in situations where someone wis...more
More about Teresa Edgerton...
Child of Saturn (The Green Lion Trilogy, Book 1) The Moon in Hiding (The Green Lion Trilogy #2) The Work Of The Sun (The Green Lion Trilogy #3) The Gnome's Engine The Castle of  the Silver Wheel