Start by marking “The Second Son” as Want to Read:
The Second Son

The Second Son (Kings of Cardenas #2)

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  132 ratings  ·  20 reviews
He has always loved her. She is still reeling from the lost of her first love. Can a marriage of convenience give birth to true love? Can the second son of a king prove his worth? Will a pampered princess stand beside her husband to save her country and her people?
Published (first published December 31st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Second Son, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Second Son

Ruth Hill
This is the second book in this historical fiction series by Elise Marion, and this book does not disappoint. It continues the story of the kingdoms we discovered in her book The Third Son, but the focus shifts to Serge and Isabelle. While this book probably can stand on its own, I highly recommend reading the first before reading this book because you will appreciate the story line much better.

Some of the complaints I had in the first book do carry over to this one as well, but they are quite
Gaele
AudioBook Review
Stars Overall 4 Narration 4 Story 5

The second in the Kings of Cardenas series, The Second Son picks up and continues the story established in The Third Son. While you aren’t required to read or listen to these books in order, some of the subtleties that establish the relationships and history are difficult to provide without retelling large swathes of text, so I would recommend you take these in order.

Set in a fantasy world, yet informed with references appropriate to the mid 1
Carly Fall
The Second Son picks up where the Third Son left off. To everyone’s surprise, Serge wakes from his year-long coma to find a different world then when he went unconscious.
Damien, the third son, is now king, and with the responsibility, not to mention Esmeralda, is no longer the rakish loose cannon that I loved so much in the first book, but a well-respected, honorable king.
Isabella lost the love of her life when Lionus died in the first book. She has spent the past year in mourning and sitting h
R.K. Ryals
The Second Son follows Elise Marion's book, The Third Son. In the beginning we see that Damien and Esmeralda have been running the country while Serge has been in a coma following Lioness' death.

This book is an emotional read because it follows two people, Serge and Isabelle, both suffering from grief who need to heal and who need to find their path in life after circumstances have changed where their lives were originally leading them.

The characters in this book are strong, the emotions deep.
Alesha Escobar
After finishing "The Third Son," I knew I just had to delve back into this world of romance, danger, and fascinating characters. I am glad to say that "The Second Son" doesn't disappoint, and delivers a solid story along with both familiar and new cast members who add even more depth.

Those of us who read The Third Son know what went down (view spoiler).

I found myself asking, "
Curse of the Bibliophile
One exciting adventure filled with royal politics, lots of action, and a healthy dose of romance.
The story was beautifully written and had me hooked from the first page. There is plenty of drama and Prince Serge and Isabelle must overcome many obstacles before they can find love in each other’s arms.
Isabelle is a sweet woman who is tired of being pushed around and starts to do some pushing herself. She has a strong heart as well and even though she really loved Lionus she also knows that Serge
John Wheatley
THE SECOND SON by Elise Marion
Review by John Wheatley
This novel, the sequel to THE THIRD SON, continues the saga of Kings of Cardenas, with the action transferring to the neighbouring territory of Barony and the longstanding plan to rescue that kingdom from anarchy by restoring the Princess Isabelle to the throne, re-establishing the ancient dynastic line together with strong, legitimate government.
The quest for political stability, and the difficulty of achieving it, is mirrored in the turbulen
In this follow up to The Third Son, we see Serge awaken after a year of being in a coma and his coming to terms with all that has happened in that time. We knew he had a huge crush on his sister-in-law in the first book, but now, fate has given him a chance to have Isabell.

This book was different from the first in the series, in that Serge seemed to resign his efforts to win Isabell's heart, whereas Damien never faltered in his quest to win Esmeralda. There were times I grew a little bored with
A.R. Von
Not the biggest fan of Historical Romance. But with writing like this I'm hooked! This is my first time reading any of Elise's works and I plan on reading more. I found out I started in the middle of the series, but I was not lost at anytime. That being said allows me to share with you that these books can be read out of order. But it may mess up some surprises in the others of the series. Just F.Y.I for you.

Elise Marion created some excellent characters. They are all so vivid, realistic and do
Franjessca
I was looking forward to reading the next book from Elise Marion's King of Cardenas Series. After reading "The Third Son" I fell in love with the world she created. I had never read Historical Romance before until I read "The Third Son." I don't know what I was thinking about avoiding the Genre...because now I can't get enough of it.
This book was about Serge and Isabelle. It picks up from where the last book left off. Serge was badly hurt in the last book and he was in coma. They never thought
Ami
“The Second Son,” book two of Elise Marion’s “King of Cardenas” saga, hit’s the ground running with the internal drama of the royal family in full meltdown. An insidious plot has left Serge (the second born son of the king) in a coma for a year. As the book opens, Serge awakens from the coma, only to discover that his older brother Lionus is dead, and that his younger brother has taken the throne.

Serge has always secretly been in love with Isabelle. Princess Isabelle was married to Lionus when t
Zoe
I was so disapointed when i finished because i just wanted to read more. You lose yourself in this series so completely,the charactors and the atmosphere the author sets is so clever. I just could not put this down,i read this one straight after the first and just can not wait for the third. I urge you to read this series you will not be disapointed!
Desiree Gorman -  A Love Affair With Books
Loved this book! Great follow up story to The Third Son! Such great characters.
Dansaremm
I would have rated this book higher, but I'm such a grammar Nazi that all of the typos really, really bothered me. Horses are guided by REINS, not REIGNS, for instance. It really was distracting!

Plot-wise, this book was not too bad. It wasn't nearly as good as the first book in the series "The Third Son", in my opinion. But I enjoyed the story and loved the introduction of the Lady Knights.
asv
May 05, 2014 asv added it
good but not as good as expected. isabelle was a better character than serge. it was like the author could not make up her mind about serge.
Kimberli Trenholm
Again, this book is an awesome book. It was a little slow to start, but the ending was so fantastic that I turned around and bought the third book right after. I'm so excited to see what is next.
Delia Sandford
another good read
Traci
Marion's series continues with another adventure-filled tale. I especially liked the female warriors and their backgrounds and how they trained Isabelle. Another simply entertaining read!

Only con, again, is the editing! It wasn't as bad as the first novel, but there were still some very noticeable errors!
Jenn
Pretty predictable for a historical romance, but it was alright.
TJ
Great sequel... Can't seem to find the third one...?
Zachary Harless
Zachary Harless marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Bobbi
Bobbi marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Daphne Swemmers
Daphne Swemmers marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
Sindhu
Sindhu marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2014
  • Take My Heart
  • Sleepy Willow's Bonded Soul (The Narcoleptic Vampire, #1)
  • Lost Honor
  • Redemption in Blood: A Novel of The Penitent
  • With this Kiss
  • Reconstructing Jackson
  • Enraptured (Fullerton Family Saga, #3)
  • Fate War: Alliance
  • An Unforgettable Rogue (Rogues Club, #2)
  • Time's Forbidden Flower (Forbidden Flower, #2)
  • Wildfire Kiss
  • Under the Sassafras
  • Jahleel (Loving All Wrong, #1)
  • Loving Eliza (South Dakota Historicals #1)
  • The Officer and the Bostoner (Fort Gibson Officers, #1)
  • Dixie Rebel
  • Raw Deal (Bite Back 0.5)
  • Love's Providence
As a child I always had my nose in a book. From R.L. Stine to Chronicles of Narnia to The Babysitter's Club and Sweet Valley High, I read it all. When I started Junior High and found out that the school library had over 400,000 books, my goal was to read every single one! Of couse I didn't acheive that particular goal, but I sure had fun trying!
In high school I developed a talent for writing and d
More about Elise Marion...
The Third Son My Ex-Wife's Wedding (Altar-ed Destinies, #1) Fallen The Lady Knights of Barony Gypsy Rose