Start by marking “The Second Son (Kings of Cardenas #2)” as Want to Read:
The Second Son (Kings of Cardenas #2)

The Second Son (Kings of Cardenas #2)

He has always loved her. She is still reeling from the lost of her first love. Can a marriage of convenience give birth to true love? Can the second son of a king prove his worth? Will a pampered princess stand beside her husband to save her country and her people?
Kindle Edition, Second Edition, 228 pages
Published January 14th 2014 by Marion Press (first published December 31st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Second Son, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Second Son

Ruth Hill
Feb 16, 2012 Ruth Hill rated it really liked it
This is the second book in this historical fiction series by Elise Marion, and this book does not disappoint. It continues the story of the kingdoms we discovered in her book The Third Son, but the focus shifts to Serge and Isabelle. While this book probably can stand on its own, I highly recommend reading the first before reading this book because you will appreciate the story line much better.

Some of the complaints I had in the first book do carry over to this one as well, but they are quite
Gaele
Mar 11, 2014 Gaele rated it really liked it
AudioBook Review
Stars Overall 4 Narration 4 Story 5

The second in the Kings of Cardenas series, The Second Son picks up and continues the story established in The Third Son. While you aren’t required to read or listen to these books in order, some of the subtleties that establish the relationships and history are difficult to provide without retelling large swathes of text, so I would recommend you take these in order.

Set in a fantasy world, yet informed with references appropriate to the mid 1
Franjessca
I was looking forward to reading the next book from Elise Marion's King of Cardenas Series. After reading "The Third Son" I fell in love with the world she created. I had never read Historical Romance before until I read "The Third Son." I don't know what I was thinking about avoiding the Genre...because now I can't get enough of it.
This book was about Serge and Isabelle. It picks up from where the last book left off. Serge was badly hurt in the last book and he was in coma. They never thought
A.R. Von
Apr 20, 2012 A.R. Von rated it really liked it
Not the biggest fan of Historical Romance. But with writing like this I'm hooked! This is my first time reading any of Elise's works and I plan on reading more. I found out I started in the middle of the series, but I was not lost at anytime. That being said allows me to share with you that these books can be read out of order. But it may mess up some surprises in the others of the series. Just F.Y.I for you.

Elise Marion created some excellent characters. They are all so vivid, realistic and do
R.K. Ryals
Jan 25, 2012 R.K. Ryals rated it it was amazing
The Second Son follows Elise Marion's book, The Third Son. In the beginning we see that Damien and Esmeralda have been running the country while Serge has been in a coma following Lioness' death.

This book is an emotional read because it follows two people, Serge and Isabelle, both suffering from grief who need to heal and who need to find their path in life after circumstances have changed where their lives were originally leading them.

The characters in this book are strong, the emotions deep.
Carly Fall
Mar 22, 2012 Carly Fall rated it it was amazing
The Second Son picks up where the Third Son left off. To everyone’s surprise, Serge wakes from his year-long coma to find a different world then when he went unconscious.
Damien, the third son, is now king, and with the responsibility, not to mention Esmeralda, is no longer the rakish loose cannon that I loved so much in the first book, but a well-respected, honorable king.
Isabella lost the love of her life when Lionus died in the first book. She has spent the past year in mourning and sitting h
Ami
Jan 26, 2012 Ami rated it it was amazing
“The Second Son,” book two of Elise Marion’s “King of Cardenas” saga, hit’s the ground running with the internal drama of the royal family in full meltdown. An insidious plot has left Serge (the second born son of the king) in a coma for a year. As the book opens, Serge awakens from the coma, only to discover that his older brother Lionus is dead, and that his younger brother has taken the throne.

Serge has always secretly been in love with Isabelle. Princess Isabelle was married to Lionus when t
Alesha Escobar
Dec 02, 2012 Alesha Escobar rated it it was amazing
After finishing "The Third Son," I knew I just had to delve back into this world of romance, danger, and fascinating characters. I am glad to say that "The Second Son" doesn't disappoint, and delivers a solid story along with both familiar and new cast members who add even more depth.

Those of us who read The Third Son know what went down (view spoiler).

I found myself asking, "
Jun 12, 2013 Jennifer rated it liked it
In this follow up to The Third Son, we see Serge awaken after a year of being in a coma and his coming to terms with all that has happened in that time. We knew he had a huge crush on his sister-in-law in the first book, but now, fate has given him a chance to have Isabell.

This book was different from the first in the series, in that Serge seemed to resign his efforts to win Isabell's heart, whereas Damien never faltered in his quest to win Esmeralda. There were times I grew a little bored with
John Wheatley
Feb 05, 2012 John Wheatley rated it it was amazing
THE SECOND SON by Elise Marion
Review by John Wheatley
This novel, the sequel to THE THIRD SON, continues the saga of Kings of Cardenas, with the action transferring to the neighbouring territory of Barony and the longstanding plan to rescue that kingdom from anarchy by restoring the Princess Isabelle to the throne, re-establishing the ancient dynastic line together with strong, legitimate government.
The quest for political stability, and the difficulty of achieving it, is mirrored in the turbulen
Curse of the Bibliophile
Feb 26, 2012 Curse of the Bibliophile rated it it was amazing
One exciting adventure filled with royal politics, lots of action, and a healthy dose of romance.
The story was beautifully written and had me hooked from the first page. There is plenty of drama and Prince Serge and Isabelle must overcome many obstacles before they can find love in each other’s arms.
Isabelle is a sweet woman who is tired of being pushed around and starts to do some pushing herself. She has a strong heart as well and even though she really loved Lionus she also knows that Serge
Zoe
Jun 06, 2012 Zoe rated it it was amazing
I was so disapointed when i finished because i just wanted to read more. You lose yourself in this series so completely,the charactors and the atmosphere the author sets is so clever. I just could not put this down,i read this one straight after the first and just can not wait for the third. I urge you to read this series you will not be disapointed!
Desiree Gorman -  A Love Affair With Books
Loved this book! Great follow up story to The Third Son! Such great characters.
Dansaremm
Jun 28, 2014 Dansaremm rated it liked it
Shelves: exotic
I would have rated this book higher, but I'm such a grammar Nazi that all of the typos really, really bothered me. Horses are guided by REINS, not REIGNS, for instance. It really was distracting!

Plot-wise, this book was not too bad. It wasn't nearly as good as the first book in the series "The Third Son", in my opinion. But I enjoyed the story and loved the introduction of the Lady Knights.
Traci
Jun 30, 2013 Traci rated it really liked it
Marion's series continues with another adventure-filled tale. I especially liked the female warriors and their backgrounds and how they trained Isabelle. Another simply entertaining read!

Only con, again, is the editing! It wasn't as bad as the first novel, but there were still some very noticeable errors!
TJ
Feb 12, 2013 TJ rated it it was amazing
Great sequel... Can't seem to find the third one...?
Jenn
Jan 05, 2013 Jenn rated it liked it
Pretty predictable for a historical romance, but it was alright.
Yosie
Oct 30, 2014 Yosie rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this story... Was rooting for the main characters!
asv
May 05, 2014 asv added it
good but not as good as expected. isabelle was a better character than serge. it was like the author could not make up her mind about serge.
Kimberli Trenholm
Jan 24, 2014 Kimberli Trenholm rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
Again, this book is an awesome book. It was a little slow to start, but the ending was so fantastic that I turned around and bought the third book right after. I'm so excited to see what is next.
Kimberly Smith
Kimberly Smith rated it liked it
Jul 19, 2014
Soumi Benerji
Soumi Benerji rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2017
Julie Frank
Julie Frank rated it it was amazing
May 21, 2014
Bev Ross
Bev Ross rated it it was amazing
Jan 25, 2015
Garieka
Garieka rated it it was amazing
Jul 23, 2015
Tracey Spann
Tracey Spann rated it it was amazing
Jun 11, 2013
Roseann Ealey
Roseann Ealey rated it liked it
Jan 19, 2015
Kerry
Kerry rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2013
Brandi
Brandi rated it it was amazing
Dec 22, 2015
Carol
Carol rated it really liked it
Sep 27, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Take My Heart
  • Reconstructing Jackson (Prairie Romance, #2)
  • Parallel Heat (Midnight Warriors, #2)
  • With this Kiss
  • Sleepy Willow's Bonded Soul (The Narcoleptic Vampire, #1)
  • An Unforgettable Rogue (Rogues Club, #2)
  • Wildfire Kiss (Sir Edward, #1)
  • Loving Eliza (South Dakota Historicals #1)
  • To Walk in the Sun
  • Causing A Commotion
  • Wallflower (The Old Maids' Club, #1)
  • Slay Belles (Blackbird Sisters Mystery, #7.5)
  • Lost Honor
  • The Ground Rules Undone (The Rule Breakers, #3)
  • Summer's Storm (The Graistan Chronicles, #2)
  • Jahleel (Loving All Wrong, #1)
  • Angel's Assassin
  • Fear of Heights (Heightsbound, #2)
Elise Marion is a lover books and has a special place in her heart for sweet and sensual romance. Writing about love across all walks of life is her passion, as is reaching people through the written word. The Army wife and stay-at-home mother of two spends most of her time taking care of her children. Her second job includes writing stories about characters that people can fall in love with. When ...more
More about Elise Marion...

Kings of Cardenas (6 books)
  • The Third Son (Kings of Cardenas, #1)
  • The Lady Knights of Barony (Kings of Cardenas #2.5)
  • Gypsy Rose (Kings of Cardenas #3)
  • The Mistress (Kings of Cardenas #3.5)
  • The Gypsy (Kings of Cardenas #4)