Nietzsche in Turin: An Intimate Biography

Nietzsche in Turin: An Intimate Biography

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  70 ratings  ·  7 reviews
An accessible and moving biography of Friedrich Nietzsche's life in Turin, Italy, during 1888--the last year before his famous nervous breakdown--when he wrote three of his most influential works. "An excellent primer . . . entertaining and meticulously researched . . . a precise portrait of one of the stranger European cities".--Ian Thomson, "The Independent on Sunday".
Published December 1st 1997 by Picador USA

Jim Coughenour
Jan 07, 2010 Jim Coughenour rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: anyone who loves Nietzsche
Another book purchased and started years ago (in this case, March 1995), long buried at the back of my shelves. I disinterred it over Christmas and began again. Last year I read (or re-read) Untimely Meditations; Beyond Good and Evil and Thus Spake Zarathustra - so this time around, the book was more accessible.

Chamberlain picks up the story at the beginning of 1888, the last year of Nietzsche's sanity, during which he wrote three short impassioned books: Twilight of the Idols; The Antichrist an...more
Nathan
I purchased this book prior to a trip to Italy. I had read a lot of Nietzsche's writings in college, but hadn't read that much about the man himself. I found the book to be very enlightening and can now place the philosophy of this famous existentialist into better context.

Chamberlain is an engaging writer and is dealing with a complex subject. Nietzsche was clearly a genius, but ended up a madman and at times it can be difficult to separate the two. It was in Turin that he enjoyed the last of h...more
Benjamin Haag
Aug 23, 2007 Benjamin Haag rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Starry-Eyed Nietzsche acolytes
Shelves: have-read
When I was a collegiate English major, I discovered Nietzsche. He seemed to be the drug of choice among the "cool" people I encountered, who impressed me with their cynicism, and so I signed up for a course featuring Fritz and his prose stylings.

The book, itself, I enjoyed; it was written in a way that was cogent and somehow familiar, as if the author were writing about someone she knew, cared about, and perhaps somewhat pitied, or with whom she empathized.
Kenzie
I think I was expecting this book to only cover what the last two chapters covered. That would have been a short book, so I'm glad there was more to it, but I often found myself wanting to skip to the end of the book.
I really appreciated Chamberlain's tone--her willingness to treat Nietzsche as a friend allowed the man to shine in all his genius and tragedy. I feel that I've come away with a nuanced understanding of what kind of person Nietzsche was.
Eepman
I gave this book at least 100 pages. I thought it was going to be about Nietzsche's time in Turin but the author went on a much too long tangent about Nietzsche and Wagner's relationship. I wound up not finishing this book either.
Karen Renee Collins
I'm not really sure about this book yet... I read it for the 0.5 hour before bellydance every week. Stay tuned.
William West
Well written, enjoyable account of Nietzsche's last days. Paints a very endearing portrait of its subject.
Jonah
Jonah marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
Steve Satterwhite
Steve Satterwhite marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2014
Jess
Jess marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2014
Bakunin
Bakunin marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2014
Steven
Steven marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2014
Meredith
Meredith marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2014
Sami
Sami added it
Feb 14, 2014
Philip Vergel
Philip Vergel marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2014
Isaac
Isaac marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2014
Jeff
Jeff marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2014
Adam
Adam is currently reading it
Dec 27, 2013
Warren J.
Warren J. marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2013
Rafel
Rafel marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2013
Briddle_mn
Briddle_mn marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2013
David H.
David H. marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2013
Ilse
Ilse added it
Sep 30, 2013
Allie Landrum
Allie Landrum is currently reading it
Jul 28, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Russian, Polish & German Cooking Motherland: A Philosophical History of Russia Lenin's Private War: The Voyage of the Philosophy Steamer and the Exile of the Intelligentsia The Polish & Russian Classic Cookbook: 70 Traditional Dishes From Eastern Europe Shown Step By Step In 250 Photographs The Secret Artist: A Close Reading of Sigmund Freud