Start by marking “Harteloos” as Want to Read:

De jonge journaliste Zoë Greene is in de wolken als de populaire soapster Warren Clark haar uitnodigt te komen logeren in het idyllische San Estaban in Mexico. Daar ontdekt Zoë dat verschillende personen kruizen met een bloedend hart ergens verstopt hebben. Als ze hoort over een vermoorde toerist bij wie het hart uit zijn borst gerukt is, leiden veel sporen naar Warren Cla ...more
Published 2009 by Sijthoff (first published September 2nd 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Harteloos, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Harteloos

Apr 11, 2010 Donnelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
AFter I first picked up one of Ms. Gaylin's books a few years ago, I found myself quickly devouring all of her books that I could get my hands on, all because of one simple reason: her characters are truly interesting. All too often, authors fill their books with stock characters who merely take up space, instead of adding anything to the story. Alison Gaylin, however, is truly adept at character development, so that everyone in her books seems (for lack of a better word) real, in that all are f ...more
Jul 15, 2011 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would give this an R rating for gore and a couple small sex scenes.

This book was a fun and easy read. It is what I would call a good summer read. The main character was interesting and I liked the romantic angle the author took. I enjoyed how there was the main character, but then there were a couple side characters that got played up a bit too. It kept the book interesting as well as fun.

The only thing I wasn't too wild about was that the author seemed to run out of plot a few chapters from t
Oct 30, 2008 Evelyn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Magazine editor Zoe Greene joins her soap opera star lover Warren Clark on a vacation to his home in Mexico where she learns a teenaged boy was murdered and his heart cut out. As Zoe begins to investigate the murder, she learns about a strange Aztec-like cult that believes fresh human blood is the secret to staying young.

Occult horror meets chick-lit suspense. I've loved the sassy style of Gaylin's writing, but this is not my favorite because the story is a little too far out there. Still the bo
Sep 12, 2013 Julie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm so glad that SYKM ( recommended Alison Gaylin to me. Each one is so different, but so good. This one invovled a cult-type group in Mexico that was cutting out the hearts of the people they killed. Wasn't what the whole story was about, so don't be put off by that. The main character is a journalist and she finds herself interwoven into this strange tale and, almost, a victim. If you like light mystery with a little suspense and a little romance, you will like Alison Ga ...more
Oct 28, 2008 Eric rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, 2008
Alison Gaylin's last novel (TRASHED) was like a cross between Nancy Drew and the E! Channel. In other words, I liked it very much. Her newest book is good too. The subtitle of this one should read: Nancy Drew Goes to Mexico and Tangles with an Aztec Cult.

A little bit of advice for any of my friends who are thinking about taking a vacation south of the border: Don't sign up with a tour group calling itself Sangre Para La Vida. You may not get back alive.

Aug 22, 2012 Marie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
For some reason I just could not seem to really get into this book. It seemed to lack any real depth of character development, so I therefore did not really care about what happened to any of the characters. Difficult to immerse oneself into a book when this is the case. Strange story and never explained why the cult followers followed the leader, so to speak. What were they getting out of it? No real direction made it all very confusing.
One of the author's earlier novels. This story didn't grab me like Trashed, published the year before Heartless. I'm kinda squeamish, so the whole cutting-out-the-beating-heart thing makes this a one-time read for me. For an early novel, this is not bad. I always like reading an established author's earlier works to see how they've evolved their style.
Ellen Stenzler
I'd give this book 3 and 1/2 stars. I read Gaylin's most recent 2 publications, and I read Heartless thinking it would be along the same lines. I enjoyed was certainly a page turner with a little bit of a twist ending. I thought the characters were pretty well developed, but the plot line was just a little too "out there" for me.
I don't know, this is my first Alison Gaylin book but it's not my cup of tea, the story is kinda boring and it has a lot of twist and turns that will make you leave the book in a corner :|
Rafa xx
And what was this not-very-good thriller doing with a chicklit publisher? Weird fit for the series and weird story altogether. Not happy.
Sep 13, 2012 Pam rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I loved her book, "And She Was". This one wasn't anywhere near as good to me.
Kim Johnson
serial killer
Jane Vincent
Jane Vincent rated it it was ok
Oct 05, 2016
Wendy marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2016
Suzi marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2016
Sarah marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2016
Elisha Baker mckinney
Elisha Baker mckinney marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2016
Misty marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2016
Destiny Woodworth
Destiny Woodworth marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2016
Tammy marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
Jacqueline marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2016
Karla added it
Oct 02, 2016
Melissa marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Kate Hergott
Kate Hergott marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
Kim marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2016
Brooke marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2016
Melly rated it liked it
May 17, 2016
Pau Pei
Pau Pei marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
Shannon marked it as to-read
May 13, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Hysterical Blondeness
  • Step on it, Cupid
  • Spirit Willing, Flesh Weak
  • Singletini
  • Just Say Yes
  • Blue Remembered Heels (Sepatu Biru Kenangan)
  • Confessions of an Air Hostess
  • Single White E-Mail
  • Rough Draft
  • Unspoken
  • Pick Me Up
Alison Gaylin is a journalist who has covered the arts and entertainment for more than fifteen years. Her first novel, HIDE YOUR EYES, debuted in March, 2005 with nearly a quarter of a million copies in print and was nominated for the prestigious Edgar Award for a first novel. The sequel, YOU KILL ME, was published in 2006 to rave reviews. Her first hardcover, TRASHED, out in September 2007, launc ...more
More about Alison Gaylin...