Start by marking “The Underground Church: Reclaiming the Subversive Way of Jesus” as Want to Read:
The Underground Church: Reclaiming the Subversive Way of Jesus

The Underground Church: Reclaiming the Subversive Way of Jesus

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  170 ratings  ·  31 reviews
A new way to follow Jesus that draws on old ways of following HimThe Underground Church proposes that the faithful recapture the spirit of the early church with its emphasis on what Christians "do" rather than what they "believe." Prominent progressive writer, speaker, and minister Robin Meyers proposes that the best way to recapture the spirit of the early Christian churc ...more
Published February 13th 2012 by Jossey-Bass (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Underground Church, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Underground Church

Lynn Green
This is an outstanding examination of the current state of the church and a vision for a new church that is more like the person the church was supposed to emulate.

I have the great privilege to be a member of Mayflower Church where Robin Meyers minsters. This book spells out his vision of what the church should be and what Mayflower is trying to become. We want to be a place where all feel included regardless of their beliefs and/or lifestyles. We have no doctrine, simply a covenant to help each
Je lis donc je suis
This book was hard to rate. As to what the author is saying and his eloquence of prose, 5 stars. This is a message the Church needs to hear. As someone who currently lives in a country that continues to directly employ a kind of Constantinian model of Church and state, I see how the Church having an official seat in government harms the very soul and mission of the Church. As a result, we have a Church that looks the other way to an abortion rate of over 3 per woman of child rearing age per year ...more
Dawn Hutchings
Robin Meyers has done it again. When a writer articulates the thoughts that have been rolling around in your brain its difficult not to shout out "Alleluia!". I shall now go back and re-read Meyers' previous offering: "Saving Jesus from the Church". Meyers has an uncanny ability to cut to the heart of the matter. His books are a must for all parish pastors!!!
Warren Hicks
This is an important book for those who believe the church's future is found in rediscovering mission at the core of Jesus' call to the faithful of all stripes. Read, mark, learn and inwardly digest Meyers' accessible and wise offering.
Lego Ergo Sum
Scott Holstad
I really liked this book even though its idealistic vision is so utopian that its recommendations can surely never be acted upon by most Christians. It's a heartfelt book with a vision -- one of love and caring for all. I like that. Even though he separates himself from the emergent church group, there are some similarities. I've read other Meyers books though, and sometimes he comes across as really ticked off. In this book, he really tries to balance his insights and comments between conservat ...more
Sarah Kelzenberg
With amazing depth and breadth, Robin gradually describes a living movement of the Spirit that is universally embraceable by all of us. The Underground Church is not an organization bent on perpetuating its rules and doctrines. It is a way to live in our present day world, working together with others in a ways that affirm that "it is more important to be loving than to be right." After all, we are the Body of Christ, we are one.
This is a good one.

This is a really great combination of history (of the historical Jesus and early church), biblical interpretation (especially of the parable of the leaven), and inspiration on how to better be church. It's challenging -- especially as I think about why the traditions of the church are important. It affirms some of my ideas about being the church in the world, but in a way that challenges me to actually do it.

I'm also curious about who the intended audience is. On the one han
Barbara Melosh
Truth-telling about the challenges and complacency that stalk congregational life, and a bracing call to become who we are meant to be--an alternative culture and community.
Really like this book. Very thought provoking. This would be a good discussion group book.
The good work that this author urges traditional congregations to do, is being done by the immigrant congregations.
This book reflects a lot of what I think about Christianity.
The title is a little bit provocative, but his message is very thoughtful. I understood the need of transfering the church to more open. I think the changes of the times led the church to ebb and flow repeatedly, but Robin Meyer's messages urge to change from the foundation.

I like his metaphors and beautiful sentences, especially from the bottom clause of page 121 through page 122.

I wonder if the Catholics in the United States will read this book.
Alex Decker
I really enjoyed this book for what it was: wishful thinking. Some of the areas were pretty far fetched (church run banks?) but the point was that we need to do a better job of reaching out as Christians rather than Baptists, Episcopalians, etc. Mr. Meyers gives us all something to shoot for that no matter what your religion is should be something considered.
Kayle Sneed
Outstanding. Robin Meyers has a way of clearly stating everything that has always bothered me about the mainstream Christian church and then providing plausible solutions that exceed all expectations. After years of cynicism regarding Christianity, this book makes me want to give it another shot. Sign me up for the Underground Church, where all you need is love.
Tommy l. james
The Underground Church is a book every Christian needs to read. Perhaps the greatest challenge Meyers presents is the challenge to the Church who has become way too much like the culture we live in. One thing for sure, the early believers stood in contrast to the culture and in the power and spirit of Christ, they helped change the world for the better.
Ellen Johnson
Excellent points but also lots of irrelevant stuff and repetitive. This is the second time I've checked it out of the library. First time only made it thru Chapter 1, but this time halfway. Astounding how Christianity changed over the years but I doubt if we can go back to any original garden of Eden.
Steve Hirby
Clarion call to rouse the churches out of their comfortable sleep in the bed of the dominant culture in hopes that they can become wide-awake witnesses to and practitioners of "The Way" of Jesus. Excellent; challenging; hopeful despite the enormity of the challenge.
Will Holcomb
I really enjoyed this book. I think I enjoyed the first part of the book mostly because of the historical perspective with respect to Constantine. It is a book I wish I could get so many people to read but know they never will.
Couldn't finish this. (Made it to the end of Chapter 5.) Too meandering and discursive for me. I'm sympathetic to Meyers' views, but I found it hard to find the substance beneath the clever turn of phrase.
Jan 01, 2013 Jane rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: wbs
I agree with most of Robin Meyers's message that the church needs to be more active in the community. Meyers will always challenge the limits of what you believe, and is always worth a read.
Jane Anderson
This was one of the most exciting books I've read in the last year of its genre. It's a critical message to the church and one we ought to embrace. I commend it to you!
Very thought-provoking - with an emphasis on recapturing the spirit of the early church. It's more important what Christians do rather than what they believe.
A critical look at the condition of organized western religion today. The book made me examine my own attitudes and recations toward my spiritual journey.
I enjoyed this book. Myers has a wonderful vision that I hope all churches can become. Will remember to read some of his other books.
Mar 20, 2012 Carolyn is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Have just started this book, but can already see that it will be on the excellent level of Meyers' previous books.

Thought provoking look at the church. Reforming renewing and moving into the future
A must read for anyone who wants to know what it takes to be a disciple.
what every church should be when it grows up!
Daniel Hampton
Read it. It will change your life.
  • Christianity After Religion: The End of Church and the Birth of a New Spiritual Awakening
  • Living the Questions: The Wisdom of Progressive Christianity
  • The New Christians: Dispatches from the Emergent Frontier
  • Jesus Was a Liberal: Reclaiming Christianity for All
  • The Great Emergence: How Christianity is Changing and Why
  • The Last Week: What the Gospels Really Teach About Jesus's Final Days in Jerusalem
  • If the Church Were Christian
  • The Good of Politics: A Biblical, Historical, and Contemporary Introduction (Engaging Culture)
  • Kingdom Conspiracy: Returning to the Radical Mission of the Local Church
  • The Twilight of Atheism: The Rise and Fall of Disbelief in the Modern World
  • The Misunderstood Jew: The Church and the Scandal of the Jewish Jesus
  • American Dreamers: How the Left Changed a Nation
  • The Gospel According to the Simpsons
  • The Greatest Prayer: A Revolutionary Manifesto and Hymn of Hope
  • The Cost of Community: Jesus, St. Francis and Life in the Kingdom
  • Souls in Transition: The Religious and Spiritual Lives of Emerging Adults
  • A Christianity Worth Believing: Hope-Filled, Open-Armed, Alive-And-Well Faith for the Left Out, Left Behind, and Let Down in Us All
  • Jesus and Nonviolence: A Third Way
Spiritual Defiance: Building a Beloved Community of Resistance Why the Christian Right Is Wrong: A Minister's Manifesto for Taking Back Your Faith, Your Flag, Your Future Morning Sun on a White Piano: Simple Pleasures and the Sacramental Life Saving Jesus from the Church: How to Stop Worshiping Christ and Start Following Jesus El libro de los placeres perdidos