Start by marking “The Living Blood” as Want to Read:
The Living Blood

The Living Blood (African Immortals #2)

4.3 of 5 stars 4.30  ·  rating details  ·  1,285 ratings  ·  91 reviews
Acclaimed for her riveting fiction, which tests the boundaries of supernatural suspense, Tananarive Due returns with a gloriously imagined tale of an ancient cult's undying powers -- now embodied by a child who can grow to become either monster or savior. The Living Blood

Jessica Jacobs-Wolde worked hard to rebuild her life in Miami after the disappearance of her husband, D
Published April 3rd 2001 by Atria Books (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Living Blood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Living Blood

jo

THIS REVIEW CONTAINS SPOILERS GALORE

The Living Blood struck me most forcefully as an exploration of parenting. in the right hands, speculative fiction takes the study of the (interior and exterior, inner and outer) limits of humanity to places where, perhaps, realist fiction cannot go. The Living Blood is not solely about parenting, but the rapport between children and parents, and the idea of childhood, are very much at the center of it.

the first book of the trilogy, My Soul to Keep,
Tonya
Go to the following links with a quickness if you enjoy paranormal scifi and vampire series. If you enjoy reading Octavia Butler,( i.e. Kindred) you'll def. like these two authors.
These two authors use these genres to pull characters from across diverse backgrounds and time periods to deal with age old questions (i.e. what would you do if you had immortality or the gifts to heal, how much free will and choice do we really have
Kamilah
Dec 04, 2011 Kamilah rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone it deals with immortality
Shelves: favorites
This is the only book that I have read where part 2 was better than part one. The first book of this series is My Soul to Keep and it was a great read, but this one had me on the tip of my seat from the first page. I reread this book often and always find myself intrigued and discovering something that I didn't see in my previous read.

It's a definite book shelf main stay.
Megan
i was looking forward to a thought-provoking page-turner and was pretty disappointed. too much attention to plot, not enough interrogation of the potentially very provocative content of the book (religion/cults/goodness/evil/death/immortality/humanness/godliness/the unconscious/etc). also a novel about an american family giving out healing blood in south africa (and later botswana), even on the DL, with only the slightest nod to the problem of HIV/AIDS in these countries is insulting. also reall ...more
Alison
This book started out slower than My Soul to Keep, but it's plot was much more complex and ultimately, a more satisfying read. People keep comparing Due to Octavia Butler, and while I understand that Due is also a female, African American writer of science fiction, I think her work stands on its own!
Carefree Toni
Vivienne Neal
A Genuine Page Turner

The author sure knows how to write a supernatural story with a blend of suspense and secrecy, which is a continuance from the book, My Soul to Keep. The narrative delves into the role of modern medicine and alternative remedies, immortals versus mortals, a father’s quest to find a cure for his son’s life-threatening illness and a mother’s mission to find out how to handle her child’s special gift. I enjoyed reading this book. The characters are convincing, whereby some will
Kioko
Sweetie
Difficult for me to review, I didn't realize this is not the first book of a series. So I came in a little late but it didn't take away from the book.
The Living Blood heals or under right circumstances brings immortality. I was afraid it would be a horror story but I don't think it fits, I believe it to be more Fantasy. Overall it was enjoyable if you like something off the beaten path and out there a little bit.
I am now curious about more of this authors' work.
Villager
I truly enjoyed the 2nd book of the 'African Immortals' series by Tananarive Due. I suspect that this would be a good story for the big screen at some point.

I think this is the 3rd or 4th book by Due that I've read and I've enjoyed each one of them. I'm not much of a 'horror' fan ... and her books cut very close to the edge.

Anyhow, I do recommend this book to y'all ... of course you should read the first book in the series before you read this one!
CV Rick
You have to like the name. Tananarive Due. I mean that's a pretty name. I kind of want to read her novels just because of her name . . . Don't be down on me for liking someone's name. No, it's not a fetish - I don't get off on pretty, interesting exotic names. Well not much.

And she can write. If you have a great name and you're a writer, I think it's a rule that your writing is poetic and the stories draw you into a magical world. I think making you see the world through her eyes is Tananarive
Kimberly
The Living Blood is one of my favorite books. I began it apprehensively because I don't typically enjoy science fiction, save Octavia Butler's Kindred, but this is so much more, like Kindred, than science fiction. It's a complex story of love, relationships and the meaning of mortality.
Mykal younge
this is as good as the first in the series MY SOUL TO KEEP in most respects, slightly less as tightly written; again, new and familiar characters of depth and interest, a good combination of multiple plotlines that connect well; the dialogue is refreshing and rich......highly reccomended.
Kristy
Man, I just crawled into this book and camped out a few days. Can't wait to read the third book. I was so captivated by this that I am convinced there should be a movie trilogy to go along with the books.
Lily Java
Book Two of Ms. Due's African Immortals saga is just as good as the first book in the series but very different. Where Ms. Due made us, like Jessica, fall for David despite his arrogant villainies in the first book, here we are given more clues about the price to be paid by both Dawit and Jessica for their beliefs and their living blood. We also meet new characters: Lucas Shephard aka Dr. Voodoo, a worthwhile soul who seems to be followed by a malcontent cloud yet still remains driven on his lov ...more
Ann
(view spoiler) ...more
Titilayo
the only qualm i have with this expertly written story is on page 495 when did the cancer center in tallahassee get a 904 area code? i don't recall jarod being moved to mayo or wolfson's children hospital...other than that i am pleased. still glad i read this book last instead of first. i was curious about the back story of dawit, the lawyer, the alexis' marriage, khaludun,and the things that happened in botswana. those bees. the baby singing stormy weather. hurricane beatrice. cupcakes. talk ab ...more
Yuri
This novel was such a whirlwind! My emotions were all over the place. I still don't care for Dawit (AKA David) that much. I listen to audiobooks when I'm in the car -- mostly my commute to and from work. When I wasn't in the car, I was thinking about the events that had happened in the book, and wondering what would come next?

There was such a break between the storm's culmination/cessation and the epilogue (I suppose that's what it was?), that I stopped the disc and put in the previous disc agai
Nick
I read this series out of order, reading the third book first for complicated reasons. As a result, my perceptions of the author's intentions may be twisted around a bit.
I enjoyed the book very much, but had a problem with the characterization of Dawit. In this volume it felt like he spent most of the story being a victim, or catching up with events. After the horrific things he did in the first volume, I had a hard time sympathizing with his victim phase.
I also had a little problem with the sud
Maya
About halfway through. I'm seriously worried the protagonist is going to have a heart attack. She has *way* more soul-shaking surprises than anyone should have. I feel my own heart rate increasing just reading her story. I'm going to have to get on meds if this continues!
~~~~~~
OK, made it through without needing blood pressure medication. This one really gets the heart racing! It continues the story of Jessica and David, along with their daughter Fana. It takes you into the refuge of the immorta
Melody
Did you ever get one of those book chain mails? Well I followed through with three of them and this was the only book I got out of the three separate claims that I would get thousands of books mailed to my house. I only tell you this because this was not a book I would have picked out. It has set on a shelf for 7 years and I grabbed it to take on vacation with me in case I finished Cloud Atlas (which I did). It is about “immortals” who seem a lot like vampires. Kind of like vampires without the ...more
Pamela Greer
This is the sequel to My Soul To Keep. The book finds us after the terrible tragedy to lead character Jessica. She and her family have relocated and our doing good with the "blood". David is in the book, but not in Jessica's life much to my dismay. This is very long book over 500 pages, but T. Due does not disappoint as it was a suprise that she even did a sequel to My Soul to Keep. Currently a third installment has been released and our little one is a teenager. I can't wait to read it. If you ...more
William
I had a hard time giving this 4 stars..some passages were clearly 4 star worthy but other portions were a distinct turn off. I think the over extended passages of the father Lucas's torture and his sons struggle with leukemia were overwraught and unnecessarily long. I wish she could have gotten more into the historical-mystical aspects of her story and less into the set up of her next novel in the series. I did enjoy her preposition that the "living blood" was an alterative history to the Cruxci ...more
Danielle
Was not as good as the first book. There were a lot of hair-raising moments that kept you interested. However, all the violence was gory. Think I will pass on reading the next book. But I still love the way the author writes.
Kristin
This second book in the African immortals series was a much more difficult book to read. Due managed to devise multiple seriously creepy consequences to the actions of our intrepid women. And more Bee-Bee/Fana learning way too much way too soon. Sometimes, I just didn't have the heart to go on and see what new challenges would have to be faced and overcome.

I finished up liking the book overall. I especially like how Jessica challenged the classic old-boy-network that the Colony had become and h
Joanne Moyer
this is one that sat on my shelf for a few years .. partway into it I realized it's the 2nd in a series, but it's written so that you don't necessarily have to have read the first one. I do plan to read it now for the background stuff, but this book was great by itself. It's about a group of Immortals who have been around for thousands of years and their blood that can cure pretty much anything that ails you. It's part supernatural and part mystery/thriller as a group of people try to get ahold ...more
Yolanda
The Living Blood is probably my favorite book by Ms. Due. I love how she brings all her characters to life and she always makes her characters STRONG. It's such a good feeling when you pick up a book knowing it's going to be filled with STRONG, SMART and BEAUTIFUL people of color. The African Immortal series was a wonderful find after I finished a couple of Octavia Butler's books.

Thank you Ms. Due, I will always be a fan!
Serena
Perhaps I should have started with the first novel in this series because this one starts off slowly. It was only halfway through that I could really see that the comparison to Octavia Butler was in part justified although little things about the novel did irk me (ie why do all the married women have to hyphenate their names!?) which i know wouldnt have bothered me if I had been fully enjoying the writing.
Stacie
This was a very interesting book to read. I read My Soul to Keep and did not realize there was a part Two. I said My Soul to Keep would make a good movie and when I read the acknowledgements in The Living Blood it was indicated that Blair Underwood was going to make it into a movie. I hope it comes to pass. The characters are very interesting and the story line is exciting.
Literary Fiction ...: Digitizing The Living Blood 1 17 Apr 05, 2013 07:28AM
  • The Ancestors
  • Casanegra (Tennyson Hardwick, #1)
  • Patternmaster (Patternmaster, #4)
  • Lion's Blood (Lion's Blood, #1)
  • Nowhere Is a Place
  • Mojo: Conjure Stories
  • Time of the Locust
  • The Bitten (Vampire Huntress Legend, #4)
  • Douglass' Women
  • In Search of Satisfaction
Tananarive Due is a novelist and a creative writing teacher who has worked as a journalist. She won the American Book Award in 2002 for her novel The Living Blood.
More about Tananarive Due...

African Immortals (4 books)
  • My Soul to Keep (African Immortals, #1)
  • Blood Colony (African Immortals, #3)
  • My Soul to Take (African Immortals, #4)
My Soul to Keep (African Immortals, #1) The Good House Blood Colony (African Immortals, #3) The Between Joplin's Ghost