Start by marking “The Unseen” as Want to Read:
The Unseen

The Unseen

America, 1849. It was a time of great change, as the nation expanded westward and grew richer and more powerful. But beneath what we all know lurked darker things, events that even now are hardly mentioned, and certainly not in our school history books. A girl, who spent twelve years of her life in an insane asylum, doesn't care about what happens beyond the small world sh ...more
Published November 24th 2011 by Createspace

To ask other readers questions about The Unseen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Unseen

Do Hard Things by Alex  HarrisBefore You Meet Prince Charming by Sarah MallyI Kissed Dating Goodbye by Joshua HarrisMaking Brothers and Sisters Best Friends by Sarah MallyBoy Meets Girl by Joshua Harris
Books by Homeschoolers
99th out of 264 books — 182 voters
Hounded by Kevin HearneDragon Bound by Thea HarrisonFirst Grave on the Right by Darynda JonesKindling the Moon by Jenn BennettThe Shadow Reader by Sandy Williams
2011 Urban Fantasy / Paranormal Debuts
75th out of 107 books — 584 voters

More lists with this book...

Jan 17, 2012 Hannah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: re-read
I've read a lot of Alistar's writing, and wow, The Unseen completely blew me away. The jump in caliber from the first (unpublished) novel of his that I read, to his first published novella, Offset, to The Unseen is quite amazing.
I laughed and I cried, but mostly, I cried. If I could take Lucy home with me, I would. She is a character that truly comes to life in your imagination.

From the first few pages, Alistar arrests your empathy for the "crazy" Lucy Satin, and that empathy grows until the v
Brina Courtney
Apr 21, 2012 Brina Courtney rated it it was ok
So perhaps this book was not my cup of tea but wow was it depressing. I was hoping and praying that at some point Lucy would turn it around for herself. I understand the time frame, setting not so much as I live in PA and there have never been prairies here, but I feel as though this was a bit of a knock on a poor girl. Why could she have not fended for herself? I understand her insanity but many crazy people lead perfectly normal lives, even after horrific things have happened to them. Also at ...more
Gina Barlean
Apr 30, 2012 Gina Barlean rated it liked it
I kept putting this book down, not wanting to read anymore. The writing left something to be desired. But the story held me there. I kept hoping the girl would find some kind of happiness. This book was so sad, and I personally wrote a sad book, too, so it made me really think about how I might change it to have some relief between the sad. The Unseen was a bit of sad-overload. Although, it wasn't unbelievable. I think the best testament to the story is that in spite of it being sad and what I f ...more
Jun 28, 2014 Feanor rated it really liked it
I love stories about ghosts, and crazy people, so I decided to check this out. It's an amazing story with a main character I loved since the first page. It was hard to read though because my eyes kept filling with tears and making my vision blurry. (I have never cried so much over a book. Seriously dude, why? -_-)
I couldn't give it 5 stars though, because the actual prose is bad in a lot of places. It was sometimes difficult to fully immerse myself into the story because I kept noticing the flaw
Elizabeth Altenbach
Mar 09, 2013 Elizabeth Altenbach rated it really liked it
I was talking to Luke one day back in April or May when he suggested I go and download his book because he was doing a promotion wherein he gave it away for free.
"A free book!" I thought, and hurried off to download it.
I was up until 3am reading it; I could not put it down. It was so mind-bending, so dark... Lucy pulled me into the story as if it were real life.
Luke is a very skilled writer in that he can immerse himself completely into his characters' minds, no matter the age, sex, etc. He real
this book kept me riveted but it's very very sad. heart wrencing
about a girl who thought she could see ghosts and at age 5 mother sent her away to the crazy jail which is what they call it in1800's
Sara Lynott

This is a tale of coping against all odds. Great read.
Can't wait to read more books by this author
Oct 20, 2016 Angie rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, fantasy
I will admit this genre is not my cup of tea .... Parts of the book was interesting and the historical aspect was a draw ( although I wonder about the correctness ) , but damn was this book depressing !
Feb 13, 2014 Sharon rated it it was amazing
This book was heartbreaking, sad, and heart wrenching. It's a haunting book, that stays with you for a long time.
Feb 07, 2013 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alistar is a new author for me. I got it from Amazon's daily freebies and took a chance. The story line and reviews made me a little doubtful since it's not the normal kind of story I would read. But after I got into it, I had trouble putting it down. Last night, however, I stayed up very late, wanting to find out what happened next. It's been a long time since a book made me cry. It was hard to finish reading, with the sniffles and the tears, but I'm glad I did. The story is an emotional tear-j ...more
Jan 06, 2013 Christie rated it liked it
I got this book of of Pixel of Ink for my kindle, for free. I wouldn't had chose this book otherwise. I have mixed feelings of this book. I didn't love it. I don't hate it. It's defiantly a sad, depressing book.

This poor girl goes through so much in her life. With being abused, used, unwanted, mistreated. With the help of some spirits, she struggles in an insane asylum. She encounters demons who are out to harm her. She encounters people who have evil ways. Basically, it's the real world.

It's an
Jan 12, 2016 Lauren rated it it was ok
Shelves: ghosts, 19th-century
Lucy can see ghosts and that is a major problem so at the age of five she gets sent to an asylum for crazy people. Her life is hard but little did she know it would get harder after her escape.

This book was depressing!!! I tried so hard to like it but I didn't even like Lucy that much and she was the main character. This was a really tough one for me to get through, I did eventually make it but I was sad throughout the whole thing.

Note: I received this book for free from amazon and I have give
May 04, 2012 Kiehl rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. I love Luke Alistar's writing style and the concepts he brings into the story. When you think the story is just about to end, he adds another twist to the story. With each turn of the page, a new adventure unfolds for the characters and the reader. It's a book that is hard to set down. You feel the pain, the loneliness, the fear along with the hero. It's as if you were actually walking with her on her journey.
Sep 11, 2013 Brenna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is definitely one of my favorite books. I love Alistar's writing style, and how well everything flows together. This story breaks my heart every time I read it, but it seems to get better each time! It is a very depressing story, but the ending is a triumph for poor, dear Lucy beyond measure.
Dave Tovey
Feb 09, 2013 Dave Tovey rated it it was amazing
not at all my usual genre but I could not put it down from the very start. its just an amazingly well written book that has you getting to know the main character and spending every page feeling her sorrow and sharing her hope. bit of an emotional roller coaster of a book. loved it.
Jan 25, 2013 Mickie rated it it was ok
I am giving this book a Two because it is well written I truly couldn't put it down, but just not my kind of book. Truthfully I found the book depressing. Poor Lucy the pain just piled up and piled up. I am sure other will love the ending but I really hated it.
Jul 05, 2012 Kathy rated it it was amazing
I couldn't put this book down, obviously. I read it in two days. The story grabbed me in right from the beginning and kept me turning page after page to see if Lucy would survive her ordeal. I highly recommend it!
Finvarra Penn
Good read. I read it in a day, the plot was that intriguing. I enjoyed the ending; it was nothing like I had been thinking it might be.

The writing style needs a little polishing, but all in all it was good.
May 15, 2012 Julie rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle

Meh. Couldn't really get into this one. If there is going to be a supernatural component to a book I want to be haunted, and I was mostly annoyed by the phantoms and ghosts.
Sep 26, 2012 Cheryl rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle
This was a sad story. I kept rooting for something good to happen for Lucy Satin. Just as when it looked like something good was happening it turned bad. I was surprised by the end.
Apr 29, 2012 Brittany rated it it was ok
For free book it was good. It was a depressing book and the ending took a twist for something I did not expect. The author does have a way to his writing and pulling you in though.
Dec 24, 2013 Michelle rated it it was ok
Not the usual type of book I read but for some reason I couldn't put it down either.
Apr 23, 2012 Samara rated it really liked it
This was a free kindle book that I enjoyed. Every now and then I get a dud but this one held my attention and I read it in 2 days.
Apr 22, 2012 Sharla rated it liked it
I liked this book, but it was very depressing. The writing was engaging, and the character, as well as her situation, was interesting.
Dec 02, 2012 Cheryl rated it it was ok
I kept reading, hoping for the best. The characters were irritating and it was childishly written. So much for trying out a new author.
Nov 08, 2012 Gina rated it it was ok
very depressing! Cried. Wished she had of found some peace in her existence. Bittersweet ending.
May 11, 2012 Jocelyne rated it really liked it
keep my interest, but a strange read tugged at my heart, was a enjoying read.
Courtney Leigh
Apr 26, 2012 Courtney Leigh rated it it was ok
It was ok....kinda weird but the ending explained it all. Quick read...
Measie Elizabeth
Apr 24, 2012 Measie Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Jill Weston
Apr 23, 2012 Jill Weston rated it it was amazing
Loved it, broke my heart
  • Touched By Fire
  • Silas
  • Dream Walker (Paperback)
  • King’s X: Anthology
  • City of Whispers (City of Whispers, #1)
  • The Solid Rock
  • Firecracker
  • The Beautiful Evil
  • Throne
  • Skin Medicine
  • Children of Salem
  • A Father's Quest (What Zombies Fear #1)
  • The Wishing Hour
  • Remember the Eyes (Remember the Eyes, #1)
  • The View from Here
  • On Unfaithful Wings (Icarus Fell, #1)
  • Limbo's Child
  • Ghosts in Sunlight
Luke Alistar is a freelance author, humorist, novelist, composer, pianist, guitarist, mandolin player, blogger, amateur actor, carpenter, and much more. He currently has five books available for sale, and just put together a band with their debut album in the plans for 2012.

Luke has been published in the Writer's Digest magazine, and his novella Offset placed as a finalist in the 2010 One Year Adv
More about Luke Alistar...

“You should ask more questions; it is good for the mind and soul. Questions are doors in the castle of knowledge. Treasure lies behind some, others obscure danger, and behind others lie the various pleasures of life. Every one will earn you knowledge if you are dauntless enough to open them.” 2 likes
“Young lady, there are many ways to tell something besides using speech. You tell me more by wrapping your arms around your knees than you ever could with the most eloquent words. You speak a thousand carefully penned lines of heartbreaking poetry with your eyes alone. A single innocent tear straying down your cheek is worth a flood of explanation.” 0 likes