Start by marking “Strong Man: The Story of Charles Atlas” as Want to Read:
Strong Man: The Story of Charles Atlas

Strong Man: The Story of Charles Atlas

4.10  ·  Rating Details  ·  86 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
He could tear phone books in half, bend iron bars into giant Us, and pull a 145,000-pound train with his bare hands. But Charles Atlas wasn't always one of America's most famous strong men. Once upon a time, he was a "97-pound weakling" who was picked on by neighborhood bullies.Using her trademark humor, Meghan McCarthy brings to life the story of Charles Atlas, the man wh ...more
Published June 12th 2007 by Knopf Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Strong Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Strong Man

Ruth Ann
Oct 06, 2014 Ruth Ann rated it really liked it
I think kids will love the cartoon illustrations, especially the goggle eye. This is the story of an Italian immigrant who developed a fitness program that did not use weights, but involved stretching and pitting one muscle against another. With good healthy habits and consistent effort, he sculpted his body to perfection. He became a side-show strong-man act at Coney Island and won body building contests. Many Americans, including children, were inspired by Atlas.
The book includes some exercise
Miss Sarah
Jul 26, 2016 Miss Sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: biography
a biography picture book of Charles Atlas the most perfect dimension guy in the world. A small kid he created his own fitness regimen and later lifestyle to help people build muscle and live a healthy life. Elementary or one on one for length.
Sharon A.
Jun 17, 2010 Sharon A. rated it it was amazing
Everyone wants to do something to feel strong, confident, and here is the story of Charles Atlas, who figured out how to be strong and confident for himself and then for everyone else in the world who wanted to know how to do so. This is the real story of Charles Atlas in picture book form.

Angelo Siciliano arrived from Italy skinny and small. What he did from his own observations became world famous and his help to others made him internationally known in the decades between 1930 and his death.

W
Miranda
Nov 19, 2015 Miranda rated it really liked it
Great information on a person I knew little about. Useful for research by children.
Feb 18, 2015 Sarah rated it really liked it
This is a fun read about the life of Charles Atlas.
Kayla
I really enjoyed reading this biography. I didn't really know who Charles Atlas was. I liked ready about his life and I love how the author made it a motivational book for those reading it too. As it exaplined his life, the author told about how he worked hard for what he did and how he encouraged others. This is a wonderful book. I also like how it gives come exercises in the back of the book that children can do.
Megan
May 30, 2008 Megan rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book. I liked what I learned about Charles Atlas. I liked what I learned about the world during this time period, and most of all, we all REALLY liked the illustrations. I find that most children's book biographies have all the information I really want to know about any given person! Great book!
Tim Vandenberg
Nov 25, 2013 Tim Vandenberg rated it liked it
While this is an interesting mini-biography of the world's most famous Strong Man, with colorful, kid-friendly art, I still wasn't struck by what could have been a more effective & powerful storyline.

Recommended for scrawny little boys in need of protecting their date from gigantic he-man bullies.

April Scheivelhud
This is a great informative biography of Charles Atlas who was an Italian immigrant of the early 20th century. He created the world famous exercise program. He wasn't always that muscular though! This is a great inspirational story for anybody!
Ms. Manley
Feb 08, 2013 Ms. Manley rated it liked it
Read to second graders. They had difficulty understanding he was a real person. I think the cartoon illustrations threw them. The book was a good match for our Fitness Fever Event.
Lorelie
Dec 30, 2013 Lorelie rated it really liked it
Great picture book biography of a very interesting person! Loved it!
Dec 19, 2011 Sarah rated it really liked it
Really interesting and well-done biography of Charles Atlas. Inspiring and truly captures the spirit of the man. Highly recommended.
Shalini Noronha
Sep 25, 2013 Shalini Noronha marked it as to-read
South Brunswick Public Library
Call Number Copy Material Location
J B ATLAS 1 Juvenile Book Juvenile Biographies
Sophia
Jan 24, 2010 Sophia rated it really liked it
A very cute book talking about a man and getting strong. Very inspirational and interactive for young students.
Amy
Jan 07, 2013 Amy rated it really liked it
Good story on someone I was unfamiliar with.
Melissa Oliveira
Melissa Oliveira marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2016
Jdgibson Gibson
Jdgibson Gibson rated it really liked it
Aug 26, 2016
Wesley
Wesley marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2016
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2016
Mrs Bond
Mrs Bond rated it really liked it
Jun 12, 2016
Rosemary
Rosemary marked it as to-read
May 21, 2016
Amanda Coppedge
Amanda Coppedge rated it really liked it
May 19, 2016
Matthew
Matthew marked it as to-read
May 11, 2016
Virginia
Virginia rated it liked it
May 04, 2016
Hannah Beachy
Hannah Beachy rated it it was amazing
Apr 18, 2016
Bree
Bree rated it liked it
Apr 18, 2016
HunterL
HunterL marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
Libby
Libby marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Shana
Shana added it
Apr 04, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
196948
Children's book author of many wonderful fiction and nonfiction books for young readers, including the below following. Meghan's books have won the IRA-CBC Children's Choice, ALA Notable, Kirkus Reviews Reviewer's Choice, Booklist Best Books, NYPL 100 Best Books, SLJ Best Books, and so on. Blah blah blah, what Meghan really wants to do is drive really fast and jump in really long grass until she g ...more
More about Meghan Mccarthy...