Diplomacy

Diplomacy

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  2,953 ratings  ·  163 reviews
HENRY KISSINGER nasceu na Alemanha em 1938 e naturalizou-se americano em 1954. Licenciou-se em Harvard com distinção e dirigiu até 1969 o Harvard International Seminar. Foi nomeado secretário de Estado em 1973, cargo que desempenhou até Janeiro de 1977. Entre 1969 e 1975 foi conselheiro do presidente dos Estados Unidos para os assuntos de segurança. Em 1973 foi galardoado...more
912 pages
Published by Simon & Schuster (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Diplomacy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Diplomacy

Nicholas Whyte
"http://nwhyte.livejournal.com/1312207.html[return][return]This is a somewhat frustrating book. The opening chapters, based apparently on the author's PhD thesis about diplomacy in the nineteenth century, are pretty dull, even soporific. But once Kissinger gets to the twentieth century, it all gets rather exciting - particularly as regards the foreign policy of Germany in the period between the two world wars and between 1945 and 1961; I don't think I have read a better analysis. But then, rathe...more
Peter Tieryas
Seeing this book brings back so many memories. I really enjoyed this book and its views on the titular diplomacy.
Daniel Clausen
Whatever one may think about Kissinger, he is an indispensable theorist of realpolitik, balance of power politics, and the national interest. I originally picked the book up because I wanted something that covered a large span of history and was written clearly and simply. The book did not let me down. What is accomplished in 850 odd pages? There are two major themes that run throughout the book: that countries have survived and prospered largely when they have been practitioners of realpolitik;...more
Sean Campbell
A great book to help one understand real politik - if Bush the 2nd had read this and taken away its lessons, he would have realized that Afghanistan had to be finished first and Iraq would have gone nowhere.

Kissinger does overplay his hand at the end - he almost becomes rigid in his application of real politik as the idealists that he preaches against.

As with most things in life, the truth is somewhere between these two ideals....
Hadrian
With all of the controversy that still surrounds Kissinger's policies, that book makes me think he should have been a fine historian. Lucid and invigorating analysis of complex international relations issues.
Zachary
Very worthwhile read. Was shocking how little I knew about these topics.

Very helpful historical context around raison de'etat, Realpolitik, balance of power, collective security, etc. Was challenging to read the historical conflicts and imagine libertarian foreign policy responses.

I was struck wondering what the response would be to a Romney-esque comment, "Nations are people, too."

Thought provoking to see the impact that individuals can have on the world. And, likewise, the power of the billi...more
Yvonne
At first, I thought this book is intended to give people a general overview of modern history. However, it often lacks key information for people that don't have a thorough background in history. It is nicely written.
The best aspect of this book are the annecdotes from his personal experience as a politician.
Piotr Pietrzak
Top ten books every student of International Relations should read

by Piotr Pietrzak
Author of the prospects for humanitarian intervention in Syria
Eric Lin
It was a great change of pace to read Kissinger's descriptions of more recent history, since most of the books I read are from the Revolutionary War until the Civil War. Kissinger explains the Vietnam War and Cuban missile crisis in a way that explains the thinking of those in power. More importantly, he explains how each action influenced subsequent actions, and describes the chain of consequences.

I've heard this book described as Henry Kissinger's master's thesis, that he just kept on writing....more
Sean Boyd
As part of our IB syllabus, we were asked to read Henry Kissinger's Diplomacy. Throughout the school year, Kissinger has been the main topic of many discussions. At the end, we can say, the man is quite interested.
The book itself is thick. But when you really take the time, some moments of humor present themselves. Henry Kissinger gives brilliant analysis that makes you decide whether to take his side of the issues, or to listen to someone else.
It was interesting reading Henry Kissinger while al...more
Emily
This is one of the several texts we where required to read, annotate and write down additional notes and analysis for my IB 20th Century Studies class. And from the perspective of a High School Senior (granted one taking all University coursed for the past two years), it could not be more dry.

In addition to failing to hold my attention for even a page. Kissinger's ideas are often rather grandiose and lacking enough facts to fully suport them. Overall I believe that while I did learn a lot about...more
Bob
While I admire Henry Kissinger and his extensive background in world diplomacy, this book requires a lot from the reader. Details, names, dates and always, Henry's thoughts.
I hate to start reading a book and then give up, but I almost did on this one. I'm pleased that I finally finished it, learned a lot and gained new insight into problems that The U.S. will face for decades to come. A good editor could have chopped off about 200 pages without losing the quality.
John
Oct 17, 2007 John rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: international relation geeks
This book was a great overview of diplomacy from the 17 Century up through the end of the end of the Soviet Union by a this former secretary of state and national security advisor. It focuses almost entirely on Europe, but moves into asia with US involvement there after world war II.

While the book is 800+ pages, it is mostly easy reading and always engaging Reading Kissinger's take on diplomatic events of the past is quite interesting. Plus, you would be surprised how applicable state relations...more
Jfk
I wish I could rate this a 4.5. Will you get unbiased information? Hell no. Will you agree with everything in this book? I hope not. Still, very informative and it got me to think about history and diplomacy in a new light, so it was very interesting. I hope that anyone reading this has enough historical background to know when to call bullshit and when to research the topic, because it is somewhat revisionist in nature. Still, well worth my time and I am glad I read it.
Tian Chen
Written by one of the foremost American statesman, this book is well worth the effort. Not meant as popular history, his book traces the rise of the modern nation-state from the Treaty of Westphalia until the modern era, and the increasingly vital role of deplomacy.

As a grand-master of the Realist school to diplomacy, the author's respect for Bismarck is consistently felt.

A book to treasure, to re-read and pass down to next generation.
Maria
This was the text for a history class of mine in high school. It was a really good text. I really enjoyed reading a book that wasn't a textbook for a history class. I felt like the history texts insulted our intelligence while a book like this allowed for more varied and interesting discussion. Reading a text like this allowed more analysis of what happened and why instead of simply memorizing things.
Guillaume
Excellente histoire de la diplomatie par un expert du sujet. Livre sans doute cynique pour certains, pragmatique et réaliste pour d'autres.

Plusieurs chapitres méritent le détour:
La comparaison de Napoléon III et de Bismarck est redoutable.
L'entre deux guerre laisse un goût amer d'immense gâchis dans la bouche.
Jeff
Essential reading for any student of post-Westphalian western diplomacy. Although I will admit that Kissinger is one wiley bastard, the chapters concerning the era he was Secretary of State humorously glamorize Nixon's intellect.
Cfontanesi
regardless of what you think of his policies, he does an expert job portraying a scholarly history of diplomacy, focusing on European conflicts. Clearly tinged by his understanding of how nations interact.
Mark
I simply do not have the knowledge to be able to manage the author's continuous stream of biases and errors, and if I did have that much knowledge what would be the point of reading the book?
Kevin
Probably one of my favorite guilty pleasure reads ever. 'Realism' is truly disgusting and horrible, but man does it make life interesting.
Aaron Crofut
Let's get the most obvious thing out of the way: this is an 835 page read and at no point did I feel like giving up. The man can write about complicated subjects and yet remain interesting, which cannot be said of most academics.

As for the content, I was impressed. The Congress of Vienna, the rise of Bismarck and its overthrow of balance of power, the increasing deadlock that led to World War I, and the aftermath in Versailles that was doomed to fail are explained clearly and in depth. The Cold...more
Joey
Kissinger's prose is exquisite. He turns a phrase effortlessly and deconstructs complex ideas into concise, digestible sentences seemingly devoid of anything unnecessary. Simply put, reading the English-language usage in "Diplomacy" was a joy.

On the other hand, although his prose was a joy to read, there sure was a lot of it. And although, sentence by sentence, each word seemed oh so carefully placed, page by page he seemed to say the exact same thing in a lot of different ways. I bet Kissinger...more
Christopher
I picked this book up because of who the author is and I am happy that I did. This relatively breezy narrative takes the reader from the formations of Western-style diplomacy after the Peace of Westphalia to the end of the Cold War over three hundred years later. Through it all, Mr. Kissinger gives his very sharp analysis of nearly every event that shaped the Western world during that period. Surprisingly, though this book does support Kissinger's love of Big Power politics, he actually gives a...more
Dennis Boccippio
However controversial the author might be, this book was outstanding. Another review called it "breezy" and as amazing as that might sound for a tome covering the history of Western diplomacy from 1600-1995, it is true - the book is eminently readable while simultaneously very thought provoking. Some central themes recur frequently - the tension (or alternation) between old European balance of power politics and grander, Wilsonian idealistic approaches - but are elaborated very effectively in de...more
Mark Singer
Jun 22, 2010 Mark Singer rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mark by: no one
Shelves: history, 19th-century
Henry Kissinger brings his unique background as both scholar and diplomat to bear on the study of diplomacy in the modern world. Starting with Cardinal Richelieu of France in the mid-17th century, Kissinger reviews how statesmen have attempted to regulate the relationships between nations. About three-fourths of the 900+ pages concentrates on the twentieth century but I specifically wanted to read about his interpretation of the years between the end of the Napopleonic Wars in 1815 and the begin...more
Clem
May 05, 2012 Clem rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nancy Rosenberg, Timothy Smith, Anthony
Recommended to Clem by: dr. H. Kissinger, mr. president G.W. Bush, drs. R.Lubbers, Kissinger Ass. Lionel Feininger, Kissinger office the personal secretary Patrick McNeal, mr. premier Silvio Berlusconi, mrs. Hillary Clinton, my cleaning lady Nicoline, mr. Bas Hoek, mr. D.F. Rietveld, the Rosenberg trio, MGM authorized, Windows, Google's mr. Matthew, mr. P.H. the Netherlands, my sister Béanca Hazelzet-Buur, and Tommy-the-nerd, mrs. C.A. Buur-Smit, mr. G. van Baalen, Bilderberg Conference on Twitter,
...in a rich language the author likes to explain what stays to the exclusive terrains of diplomacy as an art of surviving time's waves of the tides in history, what adds to the reader's understanding to become involved in the clear and thrifthy phrases of the chapters and means to become involved with the author's personality, his purposes, his ideals, his relations. Who has read this book is going like automatically at the feets of the writer looking for more, though it is much deceiving the p...more
Luboš
Velmi hutné. Zaujaté a fundované eseje. Mnohem delší, než jsem čekal, ale stálo za to vytrvat. Rozhodně rozšíří vaše historicky/politické obzory. Mimochodem jedná se o knihu ze seznamu mariňácké povinné četby.

-------citace-------
Způsob, jaký Roosvelt přiměl svůj izolacionistický národ k účasti ve válce, by mohl dnešním politickým vůdcům, kteří vládnou pomocí průzkumu veřejného mínění, posloužit jako ukázková lekce úlohy vůdcovství v demokracii.

Velký romanopisec a vášnivý nacionalista Fjodor Mich...more
Ben Haymond
The scope of this book is incredible. It goes from Napoleon’s first captivity on Elba and the Congress of Vienna to the falling of the Berlin wall and everything in between. I learned so much about people whom I had never heard of before like Gustav Stresemann, Konrad Adenaur, Napoleon III, Klemens von Metternich and Richelieu. I learned more about people whom I knew only a little like Benjamin Disraeli, William Gladstone, Charles de Gaulle, George Kennan, Leonid Brezhnev, John Foster Dulles and...more
Sara
Woo Hoo!! 836 pages and five months later, I've finally finished Henry Kissinger's "Diplomacy." I do feel the better for it, but boy -- it was not easy!!

Biggest criticism -- couldn't he afford an editor? So much of what was said was re-said, repeated, and stated again. I think that the book could have been half the length, structure tightened up (within the chapters -- I actually thought the number of chapters and subjects was fine), and redundancies removed. If they had done that, it could have...more
Google "NSA Department Z" 1 6 Jul 09, 2013 02:24PM
End of the Nation State? 3 26 Apr 08, 2012 01:43AM
  • Politics Among Nations
  • The Rise & Fall of the Great Powers: Economic Change & Military Conflict from 1500 to 2000
  • American Diplomacy
  • The End of History and the Last Man
  • Present at the Creation: My Years in the State Department
  • The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order
  • Career Diplomacy: Life and Work in the U.S. Foreign Service
  • The Struggle for Mastery in Europe, 1848-1918 (History of Modern Europe)
  • Monsoon: The Indian Ocean and the Future of American Power
  • The Savage Wars Of Peace: Small Wars And The Rise Of American Power
Henry Alfred Kissinger (born Heinz Alfred Kissinger) is a German-born American bureaucrat, diplomat, and 1973 Nobel Peace Prize laureate. He served as National Security Advisor and later concurrently as Secretary of State in the Richard Nixon administration. Kissinger emerged unscathed from the Watergate scandal, and maintained his powerful position when Gerald Ford became President.

A proponent of...more
More about Henry Kissinger...
On China Does America Need a Foreign Policy?: Toward a Diplomacy for the 21st Century The White House Years A World Restored: Metternich, Castlereagh and the Problems of Peace, 1812-1822 Years of Upheaval

“Behind the slogans lay an intellectual vacuum.” 6 likes
“The war is just when the intention that causes it to be undertaken is just. The will is therefore the principle element that must be considered, not the means... He who intends to kill the guilty sometimes faultlessly shed the blood of the innocents...'

In short, the end justifies the means.”
5 likes