Start by marking “The Dread” as Want to Read:
The Dread

The Dread (Fallen Kings #2)

4.12  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,378 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
Still reeling from plague and civil war, the Winter Kingdoms face an invasion force from across the Northern Sea led by a dark spirit mage in the name of ancient, vanquished gods. Summoner-King Martris Drayke and an untested generation of new rulers must stand against an unholy alliance of shadowy invaders. To prevail, Tris must win the uncertain support of the Dread, spir ...more
Audio CD
Published February 1st 2012 by Tantor Media (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Dread, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dread

colleen the fabulous fabulaphile
One of the reasons that I really liked this series at the out-set was that while it was a standard-as-all-heck sword & sorcery/epic type story, Martin wrote good characters that I liked and genuinely cared about. And even in this last installment, it's the little personal touches of the story between the characters that I enjoy the best.

Unfortunately, they're rather few and far between as the story, overall, focuses on the war being fought on multiple fronts.

One of the downfalls of our chara
Ranting Dragon
Mar 02, 2013 Ranting Dragon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dan

The Dread by Gail Z. Martin, sequel to The Sworn, is the second book in The Fallen Kings Cycle and another example of the recent rise in duologies over trilogies. This cycle tells the continuing story of King Tris Drayke after The Chronicles of the Necromancer series as he struggles to protect his burgeoning kingdom from a threat from across the northern sea.

A fantastic transition from young adult to adult fantasy
I’ve felt all along, while reading Gail Z.
MissM
Feb 22, 2012 MissM rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nook, read-2012
I really like the world created in this series. This volume is mainly war; multiple fronts of the same war. So it reads pretty fast despite being a large book. This is also apparently the last of this portion of the story - the "Fallen Kings Cycle" - and the next book will be part of the next cycle of the series.

There is some frustration with overlapping events occurring but the characters being apart from each other so they can't combine efforts, but it's not enough to fully detract from the st
Vicki
Apr 12, 2012 Vicki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Summoner-King Martris Drayke faces his darkest moments in this latest and final installment of “The Fallen King’s Cycle.”

Terror has arrived from across the sea with an invasion by a people known as the Temnottan. It will take every ounce of King Tris’s awesome magical abilities and the help of his friends to overcome the dark summoner he must battle.

Meanwhile horrors from the past are let loose upon the land. The power of the one evil summoner must be broken or the world will be unmade.

It’s an
Mandy
Feb 09, 2012 Mandy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved these. All of the books in both of the related series. Loved them. Quick reads that walked a fine balance between joyful happy endings and sorrowful loss that avoided the candied feeling of a fairy tale without getting lost in the grim over-reality of the 'Game of Thrones' books I just finished.

I'll definitely be looking for her new series once it's available.
Lily
A nice blend of magic and THE DEAAAADDDDD...! Pretty good stuff.

Kiara’s role as a new queen is very interesting. She’s such a strong and dependable woman now, who really shines in this story! Tris’s role has gotten a lot more interesting too, and some of the choices he made made me doubt whether it was a good idea, and hoped everything would turn out for the best. Page 551 was certainly a real shock, when (view spoiler)
Scott
Feb 17, 2015 Scott rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very good read. The best in the bunch.

But yes, it gets tiring when we see repeated characters and their history is explained again and again throughout all of the books in the series.

I liked the introduction of a new story line, and the ending is excellent. But I think some of the characters should have culled a little more. I think it would have made the story a little more interesting.

I am curios, while everything is tied up nicely at the end, it would be kind of cool to see where Ms
Mirjam
Feb 03, 2012 Mirjam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
When King Donelan of Isencroft is assassinated, his daughter and heir must leave her husband and infant son behind and hurry back home. Being the daughter of one king and the wife of another, Kiara knows all about the sacrifices the Royal family must make for the good of their kingdom. However, that does not make it any easier to leave your loved ones behind in such dangerous times. Her husband, King Martris Drake, has joined his army on the coast of Margolan where they face the dark summoner an ...more
Eloise Kindred
Compared to Gail Martin's first series, the Fallen Kings Cycle just didn't do it for me. The Dread continues when The Sworn finished as war comes to the Winter Kingdoms and the armies of Margolan, Isencroft and Principality are forced to face their enemy from across the seas but, although there are more action sequences in this book, I felt like I was reading the same battle scenes over and over again. There is still too much dialogue and little in the way of plot. The characters that I loved as ...more
Shannon Jones
Meh. The book was ok. It seemed to drag on a bit and the end was a bit anticlimactic. I think better character development would have been more interesting rather than sheer volume of characters; so many in fact that in the back of the book there is a glossary of characters to help the reader keep track. Overall, didn't seem to be well thought out.
Austin
May 30, 2014 Austin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Having read the other books leading into this one, it helped having that background to finish this series out. Even though the book says #2, it is a continuation of the original Summoner Books, thus should be read in that order. The story itself was written the classic way the others were. I felt there wasn't as much diversity in the battle scenes/monsters involved in the fighting, merely most of the species of things were mentioned, but the only things that had some tangible parts were the "sha ...more
Audrey Terry
This was another solid read for me. As always Martin delivers not only on the battlefield, but in her descriptions of the magic used throughout the story. I loved reading about the Dread and Tris's journey to the Nether. I also found new characters to fall in love with in this installment. I'e always had a soft spot for Kiara and Tris's relationship, but I think that Aidane and Kolin's story is really sweet as well. But not sickly, just really 'aww' worthy (even if she's kind of an emotional dun ...more
Karen
Sep 04, 2015 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent finished ending to this saga. Still plenty of room for further stories, but without leaving threads hanging. Very enjoyable read.
Suzanne
Overall, the story was ... okay. That's it. Not great. Not terrible. There were a *lot* of battle scenes, many of which seemed repetitive. The romance was incredibly sappy. However, I'm not a big fan of schmoop in my books - it's rare that I will read anything schmoopy unless the plot and/or character development that surrounds all that sap is well-done - so take that comment with a grain of salt. Much was predictable. Much was unexplained. And the battle between Tris and Scaith was anticlimacti ...more
Adam
Nov 13, 2014 Adam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
A little rushed in the final chapters, otherwise a great series
Benjamin Babeshkin
This book is the last of the "Chronicles of the Necromancer" series. It ends the Fallen Kings Cycle storyline. It ties up some loose ends, and opens up the possibility of future books dealing with the children of the main characters. I particularly enjoyed the Aidane and Kolin storyline. Would recommend these series to anyone that enjoys character driven epic fantasy. It also has a lot to offer to Vampire lovers.
Lisa
Feb 01, 2012 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this series, although I think it was a little rushed. There was a lot going on, with a lot of characters in different places; which I think woul dhave benefitted from a longer series - perhaps 3 books instead of two.

It seems that the ending was left open for another series as well, and I'm sure I'll read it when it's published.
Gene
Apr 07, 2016 Gene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Another excellent entry to the series. really enjoyed the continued story of the regular characters, and the addition of the new characters. However, that said, I really feel like the bad guys in htis story were not very well fleshed out. They were basically boogey men, only known by name, until the final battle.
Michael
Aug 17, 2012 Michael rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I just haven't been able to make myself finish this. I want to because I've invested time in this series, but I'm getting the feeling this is a toxic relationship. Somehow even with a war it feels as if nothing is happening. It was already formulaic to the extreme, and now it's gotten boring.
Patrice
Jun 13, 2012 Patrice rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As with all the other books in the series, this is part of a duology within a longer series and I think concludes Martin's Chronicles of the Necromancer books. I really enjoyed this series and I like how things turned out. I am also looking foward to Martin's next book series.
Jackson
Feb 17, 2012 Jackson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good wrap up of the story of the current generation of protagonists. Left it wide open to start a new series about their kids. The typical "here comes the bad guy, we better find some new skills/artifacts to deal with it," but still well written and enjoyable.
Andrea
Mar 16, 2012 Andrea rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As much as I enjoyed the other books in this series this one did fall alittle flat. I love the characters but it seems as though too much was going on and then climaxed very quickly!

Not my favourite from the set but worth a read to finish off and tie up some ends.
Rebecca
Jun 09, 2013 Rebecca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Addictive. I think she is a fantastic author and the characters are well written. I especially love Aidane and her relationship with Kolin. Now I have to go get the rest of the books in the Fallen Kings series so I know how everything started!
Ursula
May 07, 2015 Ursula rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I could not put this down and so bummed when it ended because there isn't another. This story collection with Tris and his friends has become one of my favorites and will definitely reread them again. Wish there was more to come.
Meredith Kaupp
Feb 12, 2012 Meredith Kaupp rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This has become one of my favorite fantasy series. I love all of the characters, and I love that the focus stays on them rather than spending too time on what the villains are thinking. I hope there will be more books set in this world.
Charley
May 14, 2012 Charley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I thought the book was great. I enjoyed how the story can continue with the children of the characters. While I understand why they had smaller parts, or were entirely missing, I did miss some of the characters. Overall a good read
Soteris
Jun 26, 2015 Soteris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gail Z. Martin concludes the story that she started with the Sworn in a spectacular finale in the Dread.
If you're a fan of Gail's work, you wont be disappointed. If you love fantasy, you will not be disappointed.
Don McDonald
May 07, 2012 Don McDonald rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, audible
I have enjoyed the books in this world and plan the read future works from the author. The characters are good and enjoyable but there are times when the books seem to wind down very quickly at the end of the story.
Craig
Jun 02, 2012 Craig rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well done Gail Martin. While the book ended a little to fast for me, I still loved it. I gave it 5 stars because I couldn't put it down. No spoilers here, but it could easily have been made into a trilogy.
Kevin O
Feb 04, 2016 Kevin O rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Wow!
So much going on! So many heroes! Magic, cultists, kings, queens, a much better vampire story than what most young women have been exposed to, action, emotion... Just... Wow, Gail Z. Martin!
Ending a series--hard to say goodbye 2 16 Sep 07, 2012 04:07PM
Wives and mothers in fantasy fiction 1 8 Aug 23, 2012 06:16AM
What groups would you recommend I join? 1 6 Aug 17, 2012 07:38AM
  • Sanctuary (The Outcast Chronicles, #3)
  • Kingdoms of Dust (The Necromancer Chronicles, #3)
  • Heroes' Reward (Hero, #7)
  • Queen's Hunt (River of Souls, #2)
  • Dangerous Waters (The Hadrumal Crisis, #1)
  • Frostflower And Thorn
  • The Lone Rancher
  • Blue Skye (Woodland Village, #1)
  • All Spell Breaks Loose (Raine Benares, #6)
  • The Reluctant Mage (Fisherman's Children, #2)
  • Arresting Love (Wild R Farm, #2)
  • Lycan Fallout 2: Fall Of Man
  • Rapture (Bel Dame Apocrypha, #3)
  • Fiery Edge of Steel (Noon Onyx, #2)
  • The Grave Thief (Twilight Reign, #3)
  • A Thief in the Night (Ancient Blades, #2)
Gail Z. Martin discovered her passion for science fiction, fantasy and ghost stories in elementary school. The first story she wroteat age fivewas about a vampire. Her favorite TV show as a preschooler was Dark Shadows. At age 14, she decided to become a writer. She enjoys attending science fiction/fantasy conventions, Renaissance fairs and living history sites. She is married and has three childr ...more
More about Gail Z. Martin...

Fallen Kings (2 books)
  • The Sworn (Fallen Kings Cycle, #1)

“Foolishness pours out of an open mouth....
but wisdom sneaks in through the ears....”
10 likes