Start by marking “Get Down: Stories” as Want to Read:
Get Down: Stories

Get Down: Stories

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  55 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Asali Solomon's characters are vivid misfits--a heathen at Jesus camp, a scheming prep-school student, a middle-aged mom pining for her salsa-dancing salad days, a scheming twentysomething virgin, a college stud in love with his weight-lifting partner, a lonely girl in love with a yellow dress. The kids in "Get Down "are trapped between their own good breeding and their bu ...more
Published October 17th 2006 by Farrar Straus Giroux

To ask other readers questions about Get Down, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Get Down

Katie M.
I really enjoyed this one... the prose is awkward in some places but fabulous in others, and the stories are full of adolescent agony, snarky observations, clear-eyed actions, matter-of-fact nostalgia, and equal parts humor and loneliness. (Also, who doesn't love a quick and easy read? All the smug, self-satisfied sense of accomplishment that comes from reading a whole book in a fraction of the time!)
Tamara Evans
When I first saw the book jacket for "Get Down," I was instantly taken back to my childhood in the '80 and days of watching Yo MTV raps and break-dancing. What Asali Solomon manages to do in "Get Down" is not only capture the 1980's perfectly,she also creates stories that drawn in the reader and makes you care about the characters and the situations they are going through.

"Get Down" consists of seven stories and although each story is special in its own right, there are some factors that are si
Bobbi
I read this book of short stories after hearing Danielle Evans rave about it on NPR. Being the older book, it must have served as partial inspiration for Evans's wonderful BEFORE YOU SUFFOCATE YOUR OWN FOOL SELF. Although GET DOWN is full of talent, the last two stories drag. Still, there is the lovely "Save Me," about a young girl struggling (kind of, sort of, well, maybe not so much) with religion.
elissa
Jul 01, 2007 elissa rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who survived middle school
Stories about growing up, being the black girl at an all-white school, living in Philly & your rich suburban friends aren't allowed to come to your birthday party because the city is dangerous...school friends & neighborhood friends...parents who aren't like other kids' parents, kind of like how you're not like other kids...good stories, so of my era--references to El Debarge played at the school dance, and also "stairway to heaven" and all the couples try to slow dance even though they ...more
snb
I had high hopes for this one, but started it this weekend and am having lots of trouble getting through even the first story. The pacing feels off to me, and the writing isn't really interesting. The subject matter also feels very familiar. It doesn't feel inspired at all. Oh, well. I'll keep at it--at least another story or two. There are seven in this collection. Maybe inspiration will strike, and I'll find myself lulled by it eventually.
Angie
After awhile, the stories all had a certain sameness to them. There were subtle surprises, a parenthetical remark or an ending sentence that made me stop. Wow. And think. But I felt no passion for or interest in any of the characters.
Breana
Mar 23, 2009 Breana added it
This book is a bunch of short stories in one. Some stories are better than others
Columbus
Columbus marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
KD
KD marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
Frances
Frances marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2014
Rena
Rena marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
Leigh Anne Kincaid
Leigh Anne Kincaid marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
Tyosho Curtis
Tyosho Curtis marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
Shernell
Shernell marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2014
Nakia
Nakia marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2014
Dane
Dane marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
Sherri
Sherri marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
Elizabeth Isadora Gold
Elizabeth Isadora Gold marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
LR
LR added it
Aug 16, 2014
Sebrina
Sebrina marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Braden Goyette
Braden Goyette marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Aishe
Aishe marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
moy.
moy. marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Disgruntled Writing for a Change: Boosting Literacy and Learning Through Social Action Writing for a Change: Boosting Literacy and Learning Through Social Action