Start by marking “What Men Don't Tell Women about Business: Opening Up the Heavily Guarded Alpha Male Playbook” as Want to Read:

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  65 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Discover the deep, dark secrets of the Alpha businessman As a woman, you know you're every bit as effective and capable as a man is in the arena of business-but that doesn't mean there aren't things you need to know about men and business. In this invaluable guide for the modern businesswoman, former Alpha Male Christopher Flett reveals everything you need to know to under ...more
Published October 1st 2007 by John Wiley & Sons

To ask other readers questions about What Men Don't Tell Women about Business, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Men Don't Tell Women about Business

Holly Vipond
I can sum up the useful bits of this book in two thoughts: be assertive and don't take things personally.
Aside from that, the most important thing I learned from this book was how to quickly identify misogynistic, arrogant assholes so that I can avoid doing business with them. The book is poorly written and I'm not sure anyone edited it, as there were basic spelling and grammatical errors throughout (especially at the end, so perhaps by then the editor was as sick of the drivel as I was). Flett
A must read for all females working in a male dominated environment.

In What Men Don't Tell Women about Business, dynamic young CEO and consultant Christopher Flett invites you into the cigar club for a frank and revealing conversation about what it takes for a woman to reach the top in the business world. His comments may surprise, shock, even offend you—but they will also prepare you for success in an environment still dominated by men.

You'll learn what drives men to succeed, what women do na
Simone Collins
Sep 06, 2008 Simone Collins rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Women looking to be successful in business
My first reaction to this book, I must say, is that (pardon me for saying this) the author is a total asshole.

As I kept reading, though, I realized that he has some particularly helpful tips, and though he may be (sort of) revealing certain things about the business world that are dumb, frustrating, annoying, and exasperating, it's good to know about them.

Some of his advice is typical, some is highly offensive, but a lot of it is extremely helpful. The best thing I got from the book is a chance
I wish I read this book at the beginning of my career as a software engineer! Especially his advice about 'just get to the point' and 'the deep six'. I learned the hard way!
Fun to read! I always knew the words Alpha males but I thought all males were alpha due to their genetic disposition. Now I know there are different types. I wish I knew these things before! I recognized my husband and my son as Alpha males from Flett's description. I learned the vocabulary they use and their code of honor, and how they classify themselves and their status symbols.

I also found the tips and examples very useful: for deep sixing someone; for handling alpha males without outright
Eye opening!Especially helpful was identifying things women do that undermine their own credibility in front of (alpha) male colleagues.

This book is a must read for women who work with men (which means all of us!), not just in business. This stuff is highly applicable in academia as well as community organizations.
We can understand them better and not take things personally.

You'll love it or hate it, but it's true to life and sometimes the truth hurts. It sucks that the corporate world still operates on an old boy's paradigm, but forewarned is fore-armed. Knowing what you're up against means you can stop unwittingly undermining yourself. Have a read and take a few "notes to self." Personally, I like the "telling it like it is" approach.
Mar 18, 2009 Kristine rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Any woman who wants to get ahead in her company
Recommended to Kristine by: Library selection
Well this book was frustrating and interesting all at the same time. I am utterly amazed that men still think in this archaic, neandrathal fashion, but on the other hand it explained a lot of things to me and gave me a lot of insight. I feel aggravated and enpowered all at the same time. In any case it was compelling enough to read in one day, which I rarely do.
This is a must read ladies. The first few pages I was angry and then I shifted my attitude and decided to listen to what he had to say and man it is amazing his insights and his candor.

Do I agree with the way Alpha males behave - no, but at least now I have an insiders view... I get their plan and can now work it.
Pretty interesting book about how men view women in business. Some of it you have to take with a grain of salt because we or the men we work with don't all fit into the categories. Plus, this insight comes from a sales kinda-guy and I think showmanship is important to him. Quick read.
Jan 29, 2009 Sonya is currently reading it
I joined a "virtual book club" at work and this was the first book on the list. I've only read about 2/5 of it so far, but it's pretty interesting....and I *do* tend to finish it.
Feb 01, 2009 Gail rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: woman in business
Required reading for women who want to succeed in dealing with men in business. Awareness of the rules alpha men play by is certainly eye-opening.
This was AWFUL. I didn't learn even one useful thing out of this book. I can't believe it got such high ratings this guy is a d-bag.
Bernie May
Misogynistic, self-centred, greedy, and totally worth it. Get insight into the self-described "alpha male"
Leslie Caccamese
Jun 01, 2008 Leslie Caccamese is currently reading it
Utterly illuminating.
Sylvia marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2015
Marissa marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2015
Arielle White
Arielle White marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Kate added it
Jul 22, 2015
Jamie marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2015
Beth Robinson
Beth Robinson marked it as to-read
May 27, 2015
Christy marked it as to-read
May 27, 2015
Elena marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Christine marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
Justine marked it as to-read
May 14, 2015
Bobbi Roberts
Bobbi Roberts marked it as to-read
May 12, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

“be careful with whom you spend time. My dad says, “If you want to fly with eagles, don’t run with turkeys.” You will acquire the characteristics of the people you spend time with.” 0 likes