Start by marking “The Intelligence Paradox: Why the Intelligent Choice Isn't Always the Smart One” as Want to Read:
The Intelligence Paradox: Why the Intelligent Choice Isn't Always the Smart One

The Intelligence Paradox: Why the Intelligent Choice Isn't Always the Smart One

A book that challenges common misconceptions about the nature of intelligenceSatoshi Kanazawa's "Why Beautiful People Have More Daughters" (written with Alan S. Miller) was hailed by the "Los Angeles Times" as "a rollicking bit of pop science that turns the lens of evolutionary psychology on issues of the day." That book answered such burning questions as why women tend to ...more
Published April 1st 2012 by Wiley (first published March 22nd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Intelligence Paradox, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Intelligence Paradox

Alex MacMillan
Feb 27, 2015 Alex MacMillan rated it really liked it
“Yet, whatever else, to be a clever silly is a somewhat tragic state; because it entails being cognitively-trapped by compulsive abstraction; unable to engage directly and spontaneously with what most humans have traditionally regarded as psycho-social reality; disbarred from the common experience of humankind and instead cut-adrift on the surface of a glittering but shallow ocean of novelties: none of which can ever truly convince or satisfy. It is to be alienated from the world; and to find no ...more
Janice
Feb 12, 2015 Janice rated it really liked it
I love stumbling upon a book that turns out to be a real gem. The Intelligence Paradox introduced me to the science of evolutionary psychology.

Of course I knew that our ancestors spent a million years as hunter-gathers in Africa. I remember learning about the advent of cultivation of crops; how agriculture changed human society a short 10,000 years ago, when we transitioned from nomads to settlers. Of course I knew about evolution, and that evolution does not anticipate the future. I just hadn'
Gary Foss
Oct 29, 2016 Gary Foss rated it it was ok
Hokay done with this thing. I can't recommend it. There are better books on evolutionary psychology out there. Here's a good list:

Evolutionary psychology is a relatively young discipline, and Kanazawa spends an awful lot of time selling his discipline with some obvious rhetoric and more than a few shady analogies. IQ tests, for instance, are not as unbiased and irrefutable as your bathroom scale. And Raven's Progressive Matrices test is not the absolute go
Yvonne Ang
Jun 08, 2014 Yvonne Ang rated it liked it
This is an enjoyable read. Understanding intelligence from an evolutionary perspective do question the common mindset. Apart from all the statistics supporting the Intelligent Paradox and citing various phenomenon, I particularly agree what the author suggests at the beginning chapters; science is about finding the truth and does not itself make any value or moral judgments on what is right/wrong about the findings. I guess this is the fundamental principle of science, which the society today ...more
Ryan Morton
Jan 03, 2013 Ryan Morton rated it it was ok
Shelves: psychology
Interesting view of intelligence; in a nutshell: intelligence is really just evolutionary novelty. The difference between smart and intelligent is broken down in a very easy to understand fashion. In the end the author just wants to diminish the value that we as society place on intelligence, where common sense, or smarts, may be a much better aspiration. Specifically, those who reproduce fruitfully are the real beneficiaries of society's intelligence (even when whey themselves are not).

The ide
Mike Manella
Jun 03, 2014 Mike Manella rated it really liked it
So are intelligent people sociopaths and do things contrary to their best interests? Whether it's true or not this is a fascinating and thought provoking book. Are more intelligent women less likely to be good mothers and wives? Are liberals, who generally want to help strangers and society as a whole, actually hurting their own chances of survival? It's not as clear cut as that but the author uses some pretty convincing data and analysis to show that IQ, an inherited trait, just like height or ...more
Anita
Aug 10, 2012 Anita rated it it was amazing
An excellent discussion of intelligence in the context of evolutionary psychology - which explains human behaviour in the context of evolution (and that evolution has equipped us to cope with hunter gatherer living of 10 000 years age).
Robyn
Jul 01, 2012 Robyn rated it liked it
This is a light, easy read - maybe too easy. While the conclusions were interesting, this book ended up repetitive. I think the most important section ended up being the introduction!
Yasser Mohammad
Nov 26, 2016 Yasser Mohammad rated it really liked it
The book is interesting in general. It is written by a evolutionary psychologist but it is not just-so stories as sometimes happen. The main premise of evolutionary psychology is very reasonable. Humans lived most of their evolutionary history in a specific environment (african savanna as hunters-gatherers) and not enough time have passed since that time to cause enough evolutionary change. This means that our psychological faculties should be optimized to life in this enviornment. It is common ...more
Michael Mangold
May 02, 2014 Michael Mangold rated it it was amazing
An evolutionary psychologist's theory attempting to explain why intelligent people are so stupid. The absent-minded professor is the obvious stereotype here, and, like any attempt to explain a stereotype, this theory is fraught with danger, especially the danger of offending those caught up in the generalization. The Moralistic Fallacy is the presumption that the way things ought to be dictates the way things are, a fallacy that Kanazawa does a good job of both explaining and avoiding.

His theory
Joshua
Feb 14, 2014 Joshua rated it liked it
Controversial, thought-provoking but (sadly) potentially flawed, Kanazawa's central premise is that we have old-school software in a new-world environment. His Savanna principle states that our brains have difficulty dealing with entities and situations non-existent from our evolutionary, ancestral environment on the African savanna.

It's not to say that novel, non-recurrent problems didn't exist for our hunter-gather forefathers on the african plain, they were plenty. So intelligence evolved as
Daniel
Nov 28, 2014 Daniel rated it liked it
An interesting, and revealing idea; "The Intelligence Paradox" should be a required read for anyone with an "major ego" regarding their intelligence. In many ways it knocks the notion of intellectual/intelligence off it's pedestal with wit and reason. The only negative I give the book is that eventually you can predict the arguments of each chapter and the whole book tends to become a little boring and redundant. Never-the-less, the arguments are worth being made. I'd recommend it.
Sergio
Dec 22, 2014 Sergio rated it really liked it
This book is a great read if you are interested in learning more about intelligence. The book does a great job defining intelligence, comparing the difference between intelligence, and most importantly the difference between intelligent people versus those who are not so intelligent.

This book lost a star only because it became a little repetitive in its arguments. Overall a great read and would recommend to readers looking to learn more about intelligence in general.
Antanas Kairys
Pati knyga iš esmės visai nebloga, skirta vienos evoliucinės psichologijos idėjos įrodinėjimui. Lengvai skaitosi, įliustruota tyrimų duomenimis. Bet vertimas... Akivaizdu, kad psichologijos / evoliucinės psichologijos specialistas nebuvo prisilietęs prie vertimo, tad vietomis terminai iš esmės nesuprantami ir neatažįstami. Vien mažėjančių skaičių analizė ko verta...
Burky Ford
Jun 10, 2014 Burky Ford rated it really liked it
Basically, what the writer says rings true. My main question is about the inheritance of intelligence. Popular belief -- and this author -- holds that intelligence is mostly a genetic trait -- like height, hair and eye color, etc. I personally find that environment is just as important as genetics and random chance plays a huge role in intelligence.
Oli Sant
Jul 09, 2016 Oli Sant rated it did not like it
The introduction is interesting, however it is barely worth reading past it. Fraught with circular reasoning and far fetched conclusions, it seems the intent of the book was to bring those who think of themselves superior due to their intelligence down from their intellectual high horse. Alas, it fails to do so. I think the contents of this book would have better suited a magazine article.
Daniel
Aug 05, 2016 Daniel rated it liked it
The book's okay. The ideas are interesting and fairly straightforward. My only problem was the rambling manner of the book. It was like reading a scientist ramble about this and that at a cocktail party. But it's good to know intelligence isn't everything and that doing the intelligent thing isn't always doing the right/ best thing.
Denabler
Why someone becomes outcast?

Either they are too dumb and depressed or they are really intelligent. The book has explained how intelligent people do most things that tend towards ending the EVOLUTION. It is explained with satistical proof that how the results of survey from multiple leading government organisation are matching the explanation.
David
David rated it liked it
Jan 20, 2015
Rapunzel
Rapunzel rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2015
Kyle
Kyle rated it really liked it
Mar 08, 2016
Michael Rolls
Michael Rolls rated it really liked it
Aug 05, 2015
Brenna
Brenna rated it liked it
Mar 24, 2016
Ryan Hunt
Ryan Hunt rated it it was ok
Mar 06, 2014
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was amazing
Oct 06, 2013
Sara
Sara rated it liked it
Jun 25, 2012
Marianne
Marianne rated it liked it
Jul 12, 2016
Ignas Skridla
Ignas Skridla rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2016
Alexandra
Alexandra rated it liked it
May 26, 2013
Nick Smith
Nick Smith rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Pathological Altruism
  • Why Beautiful People Have More Daughters: From Dating, Shopping, and Praying to Going to War and Becoming a Billionaire-- Two Evolutionary Psychologists Explain Why We Do What WeDo
  • The Borgias
  • The Essential Difference: Male And Female Brains And The Truth About Autism
  • Philosophical Essays
  • Our Dark Side: A History of Perversion
  • Tea: A History of the Drink That Changed the World
  • The Renaissance Philosophy of Man: Petrarca, Valla, Ficino, Pico, Pomponazzi, Vives
  • Winning Arguments: From Aristotle to Obama - Everything You Need to Know About the Art of Persuasion
  • The Borgia Chronicles: 1414-1572
  • Life and Death in One Breath
  • Prague Pictures: A Portrait of the City
  • كتاب الساق على الساق في ما هو الفارياق
  • La Bottega Del Caffè
  • How China Became Capitalist
  • The Atlantis Dialogue: Plato's Original Story of the Lost City and Continent
  • The Vision Revolution: How the Latest Research Overturns Everything We Thought We Knew About Human Vision
  • The Blue Economy: 10 Years, 100 Innovations, 100 Million Jobs
Satoshi Kanazawa is a Reader in Management at the London School of Economics. His work uses evolutionary psychology to analyse social sciences such as sociology, economics, and anthropology.
More about Satoshi Kanazawa...