Start by marking “Something Real” as Want to Read:
Something Real

Something Real

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  341 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Thanks to her black mother and her Irish father, Ruth "Penny" Borum is the color of a new penny -- copper-skinned and freckled, with naturally reddish hair. Big-boned and notoriously sassy, Ruth is nonetheless the organist and a member in good standing of Antioch, Virginia's most prominent black church -- or at least she was until she dragged the popular Reverend Jonas Bor ...more
Published March 1st 2003 by Kensington (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Something Real, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Something Real

The Blacker the Berry by Lena MatthewsLove Script by Tiffany AshleyTrolling Nights by Savannah J. FriersonThe Sweetest Taboo by Liz AndrewsThree Wishes by Seressia Glass
Interracial Romance Ebooks & Print
97th out of 404 books — 325 voters
The Grunt by Latrivia S. NelsonDmitry's Closet by Latrivia S. NelsonBeast by Pepper PaceGo Fetch! by Shelly LaurenstonHer Russian Billionaire by Theodora Taylor
Love Story (BW/WM)
171st out of 307 books — 276 voters

More lists with this book...

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
Ah, now this was an interracial romance that left me completely satisfied. The name of this book tell you what you need to know. The characters are 100% real. They are people you might work with, go to church with, see at the gas station, or stand in line with at the Walmart. And they are people you want to see happy, and to fall in love with each other.

JJ Murray didn't play it safe with this story. The heroine is older than the hero, and in her late thirties. She's a hefty woman. She's the ex-w
Connie
It is an ok book. It took a long time, about 30-40 pages for it to even be called interesting. Once it got going, I really enjoyed the humor of the heroine. I don't think of this as a romance, but more as just a story. I didn't get the romantic connection between Ruth and Dewey and was more of a byproduct. Ruth also annoyed me in the end with her behavior as well. She put too much burden on Dewey when he had nothing to do with how others were treating her. She was unfair and unrealistic, but may ...more
Natasha Mangan
Amazing!!!! I love interracial love stories.... a good book.
Bg
Another Murray book and another disappointment. Though I do like Murray but it seems like some of his story are hit or misses. This is another miss for me. In the beginning main character Ruth is going though a really hard time. Not only is she going though a divorce from a more then slimy prist and was pratically being mistreated by everyone because of the divorce. So now, freshly divorced, working at a salon, and living in a small apartment Ruth was living a pretty lame life. Ruth seemed a lit ...more
Severine
I could not stop laughing at the antics of these characters! They were so relatable and I could visualize them going about their business in this small town.

Dewey and Ruth were just so lovable and I was rooting for them to get together and find something real. I fell in love with Dee and Tee and wanted to reach through the pages of the book and give them lots of hugs and love. Pastor BORE-EM, I mean Borum and that Baptist establishment were just too much!

Looking for a good read and lots of laugh
Helen
3.5/5*****
Shadalis
Feb 23, 2014 Shadalis rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone lookin for a love story with a hoot.
This here is one of those stories, you know, the ones that make you laugh till your side's hurtin, cry till your eye's are puffy, and makes you feel soo warm inside you jusst gotta say "Awwwww". Penny is a hoot of a black woman, an proud to be. With her gift of playing the organ, she follows GOD with her head held high. Read this story and laugh out loud, nonstop, as she finds her soulmate in a country, redneck white man and his two kids. To her, its the family that GOD planned for her to have a ...more
Cindy
I liked the basic story, but I did not care for the author's sexual terminology. In my opinion, I thought it took away from the story. I liked Ruth "Penny" Borum", the main character. She always tried to treat people fairly, even when they didn't deserve it. Being that Ruth was a preacher's wife and very devoted to her church, I found it difficult to reconcile that part of her to the raunchy thoughts and language the author chose to write into the character.
Charlisa Tyler
Good book to read, I enjoyed it so much, when I seen the other books, with this Author's name, I had to get them. He is a good author, I like the way he puts God into his books, and a little loving, but they are books , you want to finish, they get your attention. So far I am happy with his works.
Domino (aka Meme)
wasn't my fav by Murray. i didn't really get into the main characters as much in this novel. they just didn't seem to fit together. their relationship seemed forced and unlikely. i did enjoy Dewey's kids though. they were cute. eventhough this one wasn't great i'm still going to read more from him.
Amanda
Not a bad read! The beginning was the funniest. While reading and cheering Penny on for her life choices and anticipating a happy end, I felt that the ending seemed rushed and unrealistic. I left feel more disappointed than I have with any other of J.J. Murray's books.
Anino
An overall decent IR, but in my opinion, it could have been better. Other than that it had lots of snappy downhome dialog, and small bursts of brillance. This book is an example of IR Romance writers needing to raise the bar on the quality of their books.
Felecia Parker
I really enjoyed the book. It didn't focus to much on the interacial aspects of the characters but did use that as an element to add more dimension to the relationships. It was very enjoyable to read.
Sabrina
I really enjoyed this book! I was really concerned about the ending, I wasn't sure if "Ruth" was going to come to her senses. I like books with happy endings!
Ikaika
Oct 08, 2010 Ikaika rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anybody that loves a good romance.
Recommended to Ikaika by: Came across it at my local library
I thought the book was great. I loved Ruth's Spirit and how she didn't take crap from anyone... not even the members of her church.
Reading Deva
This has to be my favorite J.J. Murray books I could see this a comdey, Ive already cast thr leads in this
Carla
I didn't like Ruth's character toward the end, but I loved Fred and the kids.
Shayna
One of my JJ Murray favorites.
Rhiana Jeffrey
Rhiana Jeffrey marked it as to-read
May 14, 2015
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
May 11, 2015
Lucinda Michele
Lucinda Michele marked it as to-read
May 06, 2015
Laree walker
Laree walker marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2015
Tiffany
Tiffany marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2015
  • The Color of Love
  • Crush
  • Trolling Nights
  • Rock Star (Rockers of Storm Crow #1)
  • No Commitment Required
  • Taking Care of Business
  • The Lord and the Scorpion
  • The Throwaway Year
  • The Cold Blue Blood (Berger and Mitry, #1)
  • Blindsided
  • Just Like Candy
  • I'll Be Your Shelter
  • Zoe
See biographical information at: J.J. Murray
More about J.J. Murray...
The Real Thing Renee And Jay Too Much of a Good Thing I'm Your Girl Original Love