Start by marking “Something Real” as Want to Read:
Something Real

Something Real

Thanks to her black mother and her Irish father, Ruth "Penny" Borum is the color of a new penny -- copper-skinned and freckled, with naturally reddish hair. Big-boned and notoriously sassy, Ruth is nonetheless the organist and a member in good standing of Antioch, Virginia's most prominent black church -- or at least she was until she dragged the popular Reverend Jonas Bor ...more
Published March 1st 2003 by Kensington (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Something Real, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Something Real

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Ah, now this was an interracial romance that left me completely satisfied. The name of this book tell you what you need to know. The characters are 100% real. They are people you might work with, go to church with, see at the gas station, or stand in line with at the Walmart. And they are people you want to see happy, and to fall in love with each other.

JJ Murray didn't play it safe with this story. The heroine is older than the hero, and in her late thirties. She's a hefty woman. She's the ex-w
Stephanie
I always want to love a book I read and after Danielle's excellent review, I thought I would love this book. I had planned to read this in 3-5 days but it has taken me a month. It was a little slow and the parts leading up to the actual ending I didn't like so much. The book was funny and sad. It was a bit of fantasy and mysticism but ultimately it was about finding love again in all its form and trusting in yourself and knowing that God has a plan for you. Some of the situations bordered on hys ...more
Connie
Jun 02, 2013 Connie rated it liked it
It is an ok book. It took a long time, about 30-40 pages for it to even be called interesting. Once it got going, I really enjoyed the humor of the heroine. I don't think of this as a romance, but more as just a story. I didn't get the romantic connection between Ruth and Dewey and was more of a byproduct. Ruth also annoyed me in the end with her behavior as well. She put too much burden on Dewey when he had nothing to do with how others were treating her. She was unfair and unrealistic, but may ...more
Natasha Mangan
Dec 17, 2012 Natasha Mangan rated it it was amazing
Amazing!!!! I love interracial love stories.... a good book.
Tiana
Feb 10, 2017 Tiana rated it did not like it
Shelves: february-reads
Bg
Mar 15, 2010 Bg rated it it was ok
Another Murray book and another disappointment. Though I do like Murray but it seems like some of his story are hit or misses. This is another miss for me. In the beginning main character Ruth is going though a really hard time. Not only is she going though a divorce from a more then slimy prist and was pratically being mistreated by everyone because of the divorce. So now, freshly divorced, working at a salon, and living in a small apartment Ruth was living a pretty lame life. Ruth seemed a lit ...more
Severine
Jan 19, 2012 Severine rated it really liked it
I could not stop laughing at the antics of these characters! They were so relatable and I could visualize them going about their business in this small town.

Dewey and Ruth were just so lovable and I was rooting for them to get together and find something real. I fell in love with Dee and Tee and wanted to reach through the pages of the book and give them lots of hugs and love. Pastor BORE-EM, I mean Borum and that Baptist establishment were just too much!

Looking for a good read and lots of laugh
Shadalis
Feb 23, 2014 Shadalis rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone lookin for a love story with a hoot.
This here is one of those stories, you know, the ones that make you laugh till your side's hurtin, cry till your eye's are puffy, and makes you feel soo warm inside you jusst gotta say "Awwwww". Penny is a hoot of a black woman, an proud to be. With her gift of playing the organ, she follows GOD with her head held high. Read this story and laugh out loud, nonstop, as she finds her soulmate in a country, redneck white man and his two kids. To her, its the family that GOD planned for her to have a ...more
Cindy
Jul 19, 2012 Cindy rated it it was ok
I liked the basic story, but I did not care for the author's sexual terminology. In my opinion, I thought it took away from the story. I liked Ruth "Penny" Borum", the main character. She always tried to treat people fairly, even when they didn't deserve it. Being that Ruth was a preacher's wife and very devoted to her church, I found it difficult to reconcile that part of her to the raunchy thoughts and language the author chose to write into the character.
Charlisa Tyler
Jun 23, 2010 Charlisa Tyler rated it it was amazing
Good book to read, I enjoyed it so much, when I seen the other books, with this Author's name, I had to get them. He is a good author, I like the way he puts God into his books, and a little loving, but they are books , you want to finish, they get your attention. So far I am happy with his works.
Amanda
Jun 22, 2013 Amanda rated it liked it
Not a bad read! The beginning was the funniest. While reading and cheering Penny on for her life choices and anticipating a happy end, I felt that the ending seemed rushed and unrealistic. I left feel more disappointed than I have with any other of J.J. Murray's books.
Domino (aka Meme)
wasn't my fav by Murray. i didn't really get into the main characters as much in this novel. they just didn't seem to fit together. their relationship seemed forced and unlikely. i did enjoy Dewey's kids though. they were cute. eventhough this one wasn't great i'm still going to read more from him.
Anino
Jun 26, 2012 Anino rated it liked it
An overall decent IR, but in my opinion, it could have been better. Other than that it had lots of snappy downhome dialog, and small bursts of brillance. This book is an example of IR Romance writers needing to raise the bar on the quality of their books.
Kara
Jan 10, 2017 Kara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome!

This book was great. Real life situation. I could totally relate to this female lead. A very good book overall. JJ. Murray knows how to spin a tale. This was worth the read. Keep up the good work.
Felecia Parker
I really enjoyed the book. It didn't focus to much on the interacial aspects of the characters but did use that as an element to add more dimension to the relationships. It was very enjoyable to read.
Ikaika
Oct 08, 2010 Ikaika rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anybody that loves a good romance.
Recommended to Ikaika by: Came across it at my local library
I thought the book was great. I loved Ruth's Spirit and how she didn't take crap from anyone... not even the members of her church.
Sabrina
I really enjoyed this book! I was really concerned about the ending, I wasn't sure if "Ruth" was going to come to her senses. I like books with happy endings!
Tiara
Reread.
Christy Witherspoon
Jul 01, 2015 Christy Witherspoon rated it really liked it
My first BWWM read ever! Loved it
Jordan
Jan 21, 2016 Jordan rated it did not like it
God this book was fucked up. Just no.
Reading Deva
Nov 30, 2010 Reading Deva rated it it was amazing
This has to be my favorite J.J. Murray books I could see this a comdey, Ive already cast thr leads in this
Kelly Murphy
Oct 28, 2016 Kelly Murphy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cute

This was my first story by JJ and it was really good. I'm looking forward to reading more from him
Helen
Dec 06, 2014 Helen rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, humor
3.5/5*****
Shayna
Mar 31, 2009 Shayna rated it really liked it
One of my JJ Murray favorites.
Shalonda Jennings
Shalonda Jennings rated it it was amazing
Apr 28, 2015
Michele F.
Michele F. rated it really liked it
May 21, 2016
Keta Napier-turner
Keta Napier-turner rated it it was amazing
May 13, 2012
Alicia
Alicia rated it liked it
Mar 16, 2013
Vanessa
Vanessa rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2013
Wis Clerv
Wis Clerv rated it really liked it
Jun 12, 2015
  • The Color of Love
  • No Commitment Required
  • Rock Star (Rockers of Storm Crow #1)
  • Crush
  • Taking Care of Business (Dynasties: The Elliotts #2)
  • Trolling Nights
  • Caught Up In The Rapture
  • Twist of Fate
  • Unfinished Business
  • Just Like Candy
  • The Lord and the Scorpion
  • Blindsided
  • Ebony Eyes
  • The Cold Blue Blood (Berger and Mitry, #1)
  • I'll Be Your Shelter
  • A Personal Matter
  • No Ordinary Love
Multicultural romance and mystery novelist J. J. Murray writes multicultural novels in all genres. He grew up in New York (Huntington), New Jersey (Plainfield), Pennsylvania (Pittsburgh), Missouri (St. Louis), Indiana (West Lafayette and College Corners), and Ohio (Marietta), and has now lived more than half his life in southwest Virginia. After college (Marietta (OH))he settled in the Roanoke Val ...more
More about J.J. Murray...