Fantastic Four: The End

Fantastic Four: The End

3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·  rating details  ·  270 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Alan Davis writes and pencils the final story of Marvel's first family Even the strongest family can be torn apart by tragedy - and in the futuristic world of tomorrow, the members of the once-Fantastic Four are divided and vulnerable to opponents from their past. What events could have caused the FF to go their separate ways, and how does their disbanding set the stage fo...more
Published June 13th 2007 by Marvel (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Fantastic Four, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fantastic Four

Sean Polite
Sep 22, 2011 Sean Polite rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fantastic Four fans, Lovers of Alan Davis ("Excalibur") art/writing
Another edition to Marvel's "The End" series of flagship titles, the story focuses on an event in the past that splinters the harmony of Marvel's First Family of Superheroes (underlying a villainous scheme, as always). The main characters (Mr. Fantastic, Invisible Woman, Thing, Human Torch) are played up to their synching strengths and weaknesses (For example: No matter how many times its redone, Reed's obsession with research/problem solving and resulting isolatory nature gives Mr. Fantastic a...more
Neil McCrea
Marvel created a series of mini-series detailing "The End", or final story for each of their major characters and super teams. For the most part these final stories are grim and dismal affairs, but Davis' take on the end of the Fantastic Four is refreshingly optimistic, hopeful and full of wonder.

The plot of the graphic novel is entirely overwhelmed by fan service. Davis manages to cram every enemy, ally and major FF plot point into one very busy storyline. The narrative skeleton is just not str...more
Silas
This was a bit different from other "The End" stories in that it's really a new beginning (or could be), which I guess fits the tone of a lot of FF stories. It focuses on a future Fantastic Four that has been splintered apart coming back together from their own adventures to become a group again. It deals pretty realistically with how the characters might react to the triggering event, and brings in an awful lot of characters beyond the Fantastic Four, with particular emphasis on characters that...more
Johnny Zombie-writer
Jace
Jan 01, 2009 Jace rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: comics
I have a confession to make. I'm obsessed with the Fantastic Four, especially when it comes to "What If?" stories featuring different iterations and permutations of the Foursome (or sometimes Fivesome). So when I saw this at Half Price Books for only 5 bucks, I immediately snapped it up.

Oops. Turned out not to be that good. I was expecting this book to be about the team's interaction in their final days, but the FF are not all together until the last 5 pages of the book. For the majority of the...more
Steven
Of all of Marvel's "The End" mini-series from a few years back, this is the only one that I enjoyed. It's respectful of past creators & it's optimistic, which befits the titular characters. The only thing that didn't ring right for me was the Human Torch becoming the leader of the Avengers; member, no problem, but I've a hard time swallowing Johnny as a leader. Highly recommended work and among Davis & Farmer's best collaborations.
The_Mad_Swede
Marvel's series imprint "The End" is interesting. It allows various comics artists and writers to offer up out of continuity stories that supposedly are the last ones of the character or group in question. I have previously read both the three volume X-Men: The End and Wolverine: The End, both of which, while in their own right enjoyable reads, left me feeling a bit cheated out of possibly better stories. With Alan Davis' Fantastic Four: The End, however, that is definitely not the case.

Davis de...more
Bryson McCheeseburger
Pretty good, but I was expecting it to tie more into the Marvel The End series I just finished, but really, with a different title I think it would just be another F4 arc. Interesting twist to a few of the characters, and although the ending was a little too weak and fairy tale like, I do love that last page. I need to now find out if there is a continuation somewhere of that part of the story. All in all, not too bad.
Travis
An enormous love letter to Stan and Jack's FF stories, as we take a big jump into the future and see what may be the very last Fantastic Four Adventure.
The four have split, but while they seem to be living seperate lives, various threadsare slowly starting to bring therm back together for a story that will span the galaxy and include practically everybody that ever showed up in a Fantastic Four comic.
Alan Davis does an amazing juggling act of big cosmic stuff and small emotional moments. The wr...more
Moatazz
the fact that the fantastic four isnt my favourites is the reason why i didnt like this one, the story isnt inspiring or even remotly aweable, a mere story that have been told millions of times ago is yet again written here and then a happy ending contradict with the whole (THE END) theme
Lawrence Kapture
This was a fun, optimistic read of the Superhero alternate future genre. If you are not a comics nerd, it's not a good intro to comics. If you are, there are lots of guest shots from rarely seen characters like Ultron and the High Evolutionary. I liked the Kirby-esque sequences with tons of cool aliens, spaceships, and Inhumans. The plot and dialog were upbeat despite a serious undertone, and the action sequences moved you right along. A good short read for Marvel Comics fans old or new.
Jamie Sigal
A great FF story that hits on almost all the important characters in their illustrious history, I really enjoyed this The End story. It held true to what makes the FF the greatest comics magazine of all time in that their love for each other and the Richards Family Values are at the core of the tale and instrumental in saving the day. Not the best FF story I've ever read, but it was certainly a good one.
Jason
Being somewhat new to the Graphic Novel world, I found this to be a bit confusing to jump in to , being as I didn't know any of the FF history. However, I was able to piece most of it together and enjoyed the stories quite a bit. These stories feel SO much more alive and sophisticated than the cheesy FF movies, which have always been a bit of a disappointment.
Dean
Enjoyed this a lot, even if it didn't actually fully live up to its early promise. The art by Alan Davis was superb, as always, and some of the themes and ideas were well done. The story, ultimately, was slight, but with the amount of characters crammed in, thats to be expected I guess.
Fun read, and I would recommend, but not something to come back over and again.
Mark
Set in the future, Reed Richard's utopian society is threatened by unknown forces.

Decent story but includes art that feels dated.
An odd choice for a story set in the future.

Notes
Almost everyone in the Fantastic Four storyline appears in this book.

Learning Curve
High: Even fans might be confused. Many un-introduced characters.
Federiken Masters
Mar 08, 2010 Federiken Masters rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Incondicionales del autor.
Recommended to Federiken by: Relativo bajo precio.
Interesante... Aburrido... Interesante... Aburrido... ¡Oh, qué interesante!... Uff, pero qué aburrido. Así hasta terminar el libro. El dibujo de Davis es único, como siempre, lástima que menos destacable que en otros laburos. Supongo que en algún momento lo releeré.
Jamil
I'd never really noticed the Kirbyisms in Alan Davis's work before (though what could bring out the Kirby in you more than the Fantastic Four I don't know) but I really liked his style here, which hit some Steve Rude notes as well.
Mike Thomas
Another great read, a top story to end the series, or is it the beginning? Featuring almost every major character from the marvel universe, well drawn and well written, a great story with an excellent ending, well recommended.
Neil
May 29, 2010 Neil rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: comics
Enjoyed this to a degree - it was a fun story, although pretty hard to follow at points. The artwork was great, but really the whole thing felt a bit throwaway and lightweight. Good distraction for an hour or so.
Seth
In the future Earth is on the verge of Utopia-all it cost the Fantastic Four was their team. Now enemies from around the universe gather and Fantastic Four must must reunite to fight for the ulimate stakes....
Ed
The stage was nothing less than our solar system, and beyond, and into another dimension...but the story wasn't super-sized. I liked it.
Robert 'Rev. Bob'
Pretty solid story, but not what I was expecting as a conclusion.
Hayden
Hayden marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Vicki Frink
Vicki Frink is currently reading it
Aug 23, 2014
Daken Howlett
Daken Howlett marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Woodenpoet
Woodenpoet marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
  • Fantastic Four Omnibus, Vol. 1
  • FF by Jonathan Hickman, Vol. 1
  • Fantastic Four Visionaries: John Byrne, Vol. 1
  • The Invincible Iron Man Omnibus, Volume 1
Justice League of America: The Nail Patrulla-X: La guerra de Magneto (Colección Extra Superhéroes #2; Patrulla-X #1) Justice League of America: Another Nail Excalibur Visionaries: Alan Davis, Vol. 1 X-Men vs. Apocalypse, Vol. 1: The Twelve