Start by marking “Five Hundred Years After (Khaavren Romances, #2)” as Want to Read:
Five Hundred Years After (Khaavren Romances, #2)

Five Hundred Years After (The Khaavren Romances #2)

4.07  ·  Rating Details ·  3,152 Ratings  ·  56 Reviews
In which our Heroes--Khaavren, Pel, Aerich and Tazendra--are reunited again a mere five centuries later...just in time for an uprising that threatens to destroy the Imperial Orb itself!

This is the story of the conspiracy against the Empire that begins in the mean streets of Underside and flourishes in the courtly politics of the Palace where Khaavren has loyally served in
Published March 15th 1995 by Tor Fantasy (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Five Hundred Years After, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Five Hundred Years After

Chris Bauer
Nov 09, 2012 Chris Bauer rated it really liked it
"I have read Five Hundred Years After by Steven Brust. I understand you wish to hear of it."
"I would like nothing more. Please tell me of it."
"Yes. I shall give you my review now."
"I am listening, Reviewer."

I've been reading about the exploits of Vlad Taltos since I was in high school back in the late 80's. If anything, each book is more subtle and nuanced than one before it. Five Hundred Years After was written almost a decade ago but works well as a sequel to Phonenix Guards. While Vlad doesn'
Robin Hobb
Jan 29, 2014 Robin Hobb rated it it was amazing
Did you ever read The Three Musketeers? And did you then (as I did) go on to read all the sequels.

Steven Brust and I share a deep love of Dumas. It's reflected in this book.
This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For
Whether you like this book or not is very dependent on how much you can deal with a rather overwhelming parody joke. The following is an example of a typical piece of dialogue:

"I have an idea!"

"An idea?"

"Yes, an idea."

"And is it a good idea?"

"I believe it is in fact a very splendid idea."

"I would be ever so honored if you would share this idea with me."

"Than I shall do so."

"I cannot but wait."

"I shall begin ahence."

"As soon as you are ready."

"Here then, is the idea..."

This book was written in th
Geneva
Aug 01, 2015 Geneva rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sort of like Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell (though this book isn't anything like that one) or like The Series of Unfortunate Events (not like those either) I loved this book BECAUSE of the pedantic and fictional author. I loved every aside where the narrator would pause to explain to you that he wasn't going to waste your time by describing the horses to you because they weren't historically relevant, that other authors would try to fill pages with descriptions of horses' billowing manes or s ...more
Psychophant
Jul 27, 2009 Psychophant rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, reviewed, series
Brust continues the Three Musketeers pastiche in this book, a sequel that absolutely requires that you read the preceding book in the series.

A bit like the book it was modeled after, Twenty years after, it is moodier and darker than its predecessor. However in my opinion Brust does not give enough "play time" to the characters we (readers) like, while spending too much time on the less likeable ones. That makes parts of the book a bit heavy going, and its size and its overblown language does not
Greg
Jan 09, 2008 Greg rated it really liked it
Shelves: brain-candy
This is the follow up to the Pheonix Guards. It is an equally strong story in its own right but would lack emotional impact for readers who did not start the story at the begining. The series continues it's high heroisim and light plot with warmth humor and a genuine feeling of freindship amoung the "cast."
Scott
Mar 05, 2017 Scott rated it it was amazing
I loved The Phoenix Guards and Five Hundred Years After. I just was endlessly pleased with the ridiculous way they all spoke, and the way the "historian" constantly apologized for the story. One of my favorites of Steven Brust's, and I like them all.
Aelvana
Nov 19, 2016 Aelvana rated it really liked it
Despite the promising beginnings of friendship, Khaavren is the only one of his four comrades left in the Phoenix Guard. He's been alone for hundreds of years, growing quieter, but still strongly committed to his duty. The Empire has been suffering from the neglect (and foolishness) of the Emperor, but as conspiracies threaten to unravel the kingdom, Khaavren determines to do what he must to protect his king and his country. Even if it does set him at odds with old friends.

This was more interest
C is for **censored**
Jun 02, 2012 C is for **censored** rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tree-books
The star rating given reflects my opinion within ‘the official goodreads rating system’. (Notice the two important words... OPINION and RATING)

1 star: Didn’t Like it
2 stars: It’s Okay
3 stars: Liked it
4 stars: Really Liked it
5 stars: It Was Amazing

I don’t really give a rat-fuck that there are some who think I ‘owe’ an explanation for my opinion. Nope, nada, and not sorry about it.

Sometimes I may add notes to explain what my opinions are based on, and sometimes I don’t. I do this for me, on my boo
Rich
Nov 12, 2012 Rich rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of derring-do and adventure
Recommended to Rich by: I did. It was me.
Book number two of my chronological rereading of Brust's books set in Dragaera as the four heroes of The Phoenix Guard return for more fast paced adventure.

Barely a chapter passes without people taking passes at each other with swords in duels, battles or street fights. The swashbuckling and entertaining formally polite dialog from the first book is still there, but the some of the lightness and fun is missing this time around. I believe that this is because the bulk of the fun in the first boo
Steve
Jun 16, 2012 Steve rated it really liked it
Brust returns to the players in the Phoenix Guards who have been apart for 500 years. Fate throws our four heroes together as they set out again to save the empire. This book follows them over the course of two weeks in which the events from 500 years earlier catch up to them and forces are in play that threaten to rip the empire apart and have dire personal consequences.

As with the Phoenix Guard. Brust provides a unique way of speaking that at times can interfere with the storytelling but is mo
Stuart Lutzenhiser
Aug 22, 2011 Stuart Lutzenhiser rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Modeled roughly on Dumas' Twenty Years After which deals with the Cromwell revolution and how this affected Charles I - this deals with all the events leading up to Adron's disaster (not much of a spoiler since there is a chapter called Adron's Disaster). So, an average person reading this will not be too surprised about the directions the book takes. The only downside of the book is really that since the plot is so focused on a concrete ending that the plot moves without much deviation towards ...more
Shannon Appelcline
Jan 29, 2017 Shannon Appelcline rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Whew! Brust's Khaavren Romances are certainly a different type of book. That's in large part due to the writing style, which can be an acquired taste. It feels pretty slow at first, with its long descriptions and its constant asides, but it gains some nice depth as you grow used to it.

The characters are strong, though that's primarily Khaavren, Aliera, and Sethra. Three of the musketeers, Pel, Aerich, and Tazendra, sort of fade into the background, which is a shame.

And the story? That's pretty a
Jaye
Oct 28, 2016 Jaye rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As with the previous book in this series, I remember owning it. I don't remember the plot at all. Following in the mode of Dumas, this book rejoins our heroes five hundred years after the end of The Phoenix Guards. Khaavren is still an ensign in the Guard, whilst Pel has become a student of the Art of Discretion. Aerich and Tazendra have settled in a quiet life of country lord and vassal.

All of that changes when forces begin to stir in an attempt to overthrow the Emperor. The plot thickens consi
Clay Kallam
Jan 28, 2011 Clay Kallam rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf-fantasy
Steven Brust writes old-fashioned fantasies that are set in a world that is, well, fun. “Five Hundred Years After” (Orb, $15.99, 444 pages) further chronicles the past of the world in which the Vlad Taltos books are set, and is a follow-up to “The Phoenix Guard.” The style is purposefully ornate, and, as Alexander Dumas is one of Brust’s favorite authors, there’s more than a hint of “The Three Musketeers” – with of course the addition of magic and “humans” who live for a thousand years or more.

G
Clay Eshom
Aug 12, 2013 Clay Eshom rated it really liked it
Having read the series, I went back and retread them again, this is one of the few collections that I found worth having available at hand. The characters are interesting and sync well together. The bond built between them allows one to see into what a close relationship could be.
The storyline follows a young man in his quest for glory, it entangles him with three others from different walks of life and then matches them against multiple villains over which they prove themselves. Unfortunately i
Ensiform
Dec 07, 2011 Ensiform rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
The sequel to The Phoenix Guards. More of the same --- very funny, overly elaborate dialogue, intentionally portentous narration that works well to comedic effect, same great characterization and if anything an even more elaborate original plot. The apocalyptic ending was a true page-turner. I'm glad that Brust is choosing to keep the ex-Guardsmen more friendly (although they do all have different goals) than Dumas did his Musketeers in his first sequel. The romance adds a happy ending to an oth ...more
Michael
Feb 12, 2015 Michael rated it really liked it
Shelves: epic-fantasy, 2015
Another really good book in the Khaavren Romances series. The style is really growing on me, and I am finding myself thinking in it a little bit when I am not paying too much attention to what is happening (i.e. daydreaming).

It is nice seeing what happened to cause something that affects everything that has happened during the course of the Vlad Taltos novels. So many things have been mentioned about it, but this is the first time that we have gotten to actually see it.

Now to decide whether to s
Collin
Apr 01, 2011 Collin rated it it was amazing
I love "Five Hundred Years After" every bit as much as I love the "Phoenix Guards", and this is in spite of the fact that I almost always skip past the "Greycat" plotline when I read this book. Even if I just stick with the chapters that cover the exploits of Khaavren, Pel, Tazendra and Aerich the story is completely enjoyable and satisfying.

For Vlad fans: the legendary assassin Mario has a supporting role in this story, so there's the added bonus of seeing him in action.
Chy
Sep 22, 2012 Chy rated it it was amazing
" 'Don't tell them that I meant well.' "

Oh, the layers! In just that one line! For a reader all caught up on the Vlad series, this is freaking gold. All of it. Caught up on even a little of the Vlad series, you know how this books ends, and who lives through it, but it is outstanding to see them leading up to it, and to see just how they live through it.

Just...awesome (or, if you prefer, amazing) all the way through.
Dan Weiss
Oct 02, 2015 Dan Weiss rated it liked it
I read The Phoenix Guards some time ago and I remember reading it in one sitting. This one did not engage me as much. Maybe it's because I'm older, have more responsibilities and less time. Brust's attempts at historian-esque prose sometimes kills his own momentum. Still, there are some great moments and an engaging climax.
Paula
Feb 06, 2013 Paula rated it liked it
This is a well-crafted parody/pastiche of the classic literary adventure, so perhaps it deserves a better rating. However, in comparison with Brust's Taltos books it suffers in readability and charm; reading it *five* years or so after, I find it difficult to immerse myself in the plot and characters. I recommend it for one read, maybe two.
Matthew
Nov 19, 2014 Matthew rated it liked it
These are very fun books that I can't help but feel a little embarrassed for reading. They're styled in a gaudy, ironically vapid way, and even when the work tries, it rarely hit any real emotional note. That being said, the work itself feels loving and nostalgic, the author and you complicit in wanting a comfortable blanket of a book and nothing more.
Michael Coats
Aug 24, 2011 Michael Coats rated it it was amazing
More great writing. All the excitement and thrills of Dumas are wrapped in this tale. The ending is a given; Adron's disaster will destroy the capital, kill thousands, and leave the empire in shambles as the Interregnum begins. The journey to this ending is a wild ride.

"Don't tell them that I meant well."
***Dave Hill
Sep 16, 2014 ***Dave Hill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: text
A bit more fragmented than the original "Phoenix Guard," this Dumas pastiche is still ripping good fun, as old friends are reunited and torn apart by the conspiracies and corruption of pre-Interregnum Dragaera.

Oh, and things go Boom at the end. Big time. But, then, we already knew that.

Fun times, and worth rereading.
Kristi Cramer
Feb 25, 2013 Kristi Cramer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
How does one explain Five Hundred Years After?
I wouldn't know where to start, but I can tell you I really enjoyed this book, and The Phoenix Guard (the events of which are 500 years prior to this book).
I love the understated humor. I love the characters.
I have to say, I love just about everything Steven Brust writes.
Jeff Stevens
Jul 14, 2011 Jeff Stevens rated it liked it
It was good to finally understand what caused Adron's disaster, and to understand more of Aliera's background. From a Brust-completionist perspective, it was definitely worth reading. Beyond that...it was fine. Good way to amuse myself.
Daniel Brandon
Dec 16, 2015 Daniel Brandon rated it liked it
Steven Brust continues his love affair with Alexander Dumas, and manages to cover one of the pivotal moments in the history of his fantasy world in the process. A bit of a slog if you don't happen to absolutely love the language, but otherwise entertaining.
Madolyn
Feb 04, 2009 Madolyn rated it it was amazing
This sequel to The Phoenix Guards is a huge departure – a complex, thoughtful tragedy. Characters have depth, the plot is intricate, and the themes are powerful. Corruption and greed war with nobility and loyalty, and flawed characters make heartbreaking mistakes. One of Brust’s best books.
Joe Hill
Oct 02, 2016 Joe Hill rated it really liked it
Tougher to get through than some of Brust's other books because he writes as if he's a Dragaeran historian, a particularly stuffy and formal historian. The story itself is pretty entertaining and if you've read the Taltos books, fills in some important history.
Goodreads Librari...: Missing Page Count for ISBN 0312851790 2 11 Oct 05, 2013 08:54PM
  • The Warrior's Tale (Anteros, #2)
  • The Chronicles of Amber: Volume I
  • A Princess of Roumania (Princess of Roumania, #1)
  • Hell and Earth (Promethean Age, #4)
  • Cold Copper Tears (Garrett P.I., #3)
  • The Gate of Gods (The Fall of Ile-Rien, #3)
  • Prince of Demons (Renshai Chronicles, #2)
  • Count Brass (Eternal Champion, #15)
  • Majestrum (Henghis Hapthorn #1)
  • Zimiamvia: A Trilogy
  • A Secret History (Book of Ash,  #1)
  • Territory
  • D'Shai (D'Shai, #1)
  • Gossamer Axe
  • Shadows Past (Borderlands, #3)
Steven Karl Zoltán Brust (born November 23, 1955) is an American fantasy and science fiction author of Hungarian descent. He was a member of the writers' group The Scribblies, which included Emma Bull, Pamela Dean, Will Shetterly, Nate Bucklin, Kara Dalkey, and Patricia Wrede, and also belongs to the Pre-Joycean Fellowship.

(Photo by David Dyer-Bennet)
More about Steven Brust...

The Khaavren Romances (5 books)
  • The Phoenix Guards (Khaavren Romances, #1)
  • The Paths of the Dead (Khaavren Romances, #3: The Viscount of Adrilankha, #1)
  • The Lord of Castle Black  (Khaavren Romances, #3: The Viscount of Adrilankha, #2)
  • Sethra Lavode (Khaavren Romances, #3: The Viscount of Adrilankha, #3)

“Chaler, who had finished his ale, left the cup where it was, making no effort to procure more, indicating that he was capable of what the natural philosopher calls "learning behaviour," which turn of phrase pleases us so much that we cannot resist making use of it.” 3 likes
“Aliera said, "You are a Jhereg."

Mario said, "You are the most beautiful woman who has ever lived, or ever will live, in the Empire or anywhere else."

"Well," said Aliera.

"I am," remarked Mario, "confronted by a difficult decision."

"Life seems to be full of them," agreed Aliera. "What is yours?"

"Whether to continue running for my life, or to stay here and look at you.”
2 likes