A Bar Tender Tale (Bar Tenders, #1)

A Bar Tender Tale (Bar Tenders #1)

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  213 ratings  ·  49 reviews
Twenty-two-year-old barman Nathan is always the odd one out. It's tough to get a date when his love of loud music, tattoos, and zombie paraphernalia usually sends potential candidates running for the hills. Trying to find anyone who wants to spend time with him, let alone stay in and watch trashy horror movies, has always been a problem.

Then, on his day off, Nathan does a...more
ebook, 1st Edition, 170 pages
Published January 30th 2012 by Dreamspinner Press (first published January 29th 2012)

julio
Standard MM foolishness, at length and in tedious detail.

Very nearly enjoyable.

Fortunately, anytime I was in danger of being entertained I could always depend on a diligent account of what everyone was wearing to quell any potential for lasting amusement.
MandyM
Totally loved this tale of the very cool Nathan. The book opens with Nathan, a bar tender and lover of all things 'B grade horror', disconsolately wandering the streets of Kemptown looking for his two-timing boyfriend. When he finally realises things between them are over he feels really downhearted. But then he fills in for a friend at the corner pub and he meets a gorgeous guy who might just be his perfect match.

The book is set in Kemptown, a real place in Britain which is home to musicians,...more
Justin2
Oct 06, 2013 Justin2 rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Justin2 by: Ann
A Bar Tender Tale is a great book that is high on entertainment and low on drama.

Nathan met Auryn while covering a shift for fellow bar tender and friend Gaz. He is instantly attracted to the slightly older but very handsome, Auryn. Auryn seems really smitten with Nathan also but for some reason is holding back.

I really enjoyed this sweet, romantic bar tender tale and if you like light, low drama romance, you will too.
Miȿђƴʝѻ
Jan 04, 2014 Miȿђƴʝѻ rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Miȿђƴʝѻ by: Ann, Jenni Lea
This is another one where Jake Bass was giving the leading role in my imagination. (One track mind I know)

I don't think I loved this one as much as everyone else did. I liked it but I didn't love it.

I liked that Nathan knew exactly what he wanted and wasn't afraid to go and get it. His inability to understand Auryn's need to take things slow felt age appropriate and added just enough tension to the story. The way Nathan constantly misread Auryn's intentions and took everything so personally made...more
Jenni Lea
Dec 31, 2013 Jenni Lea rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jenni Lea by: Ann

That was just about the most adorable thing I have read in a long time! And funny too! I read the entire book with a silly grin on my face and had to hide all my laughter as I read this while at work.

Kinda like this:

T.A. Webb
Nathan is not your average young man. He's twenty-two, loves tattoos, loud music and...zombies? Old horror movies. Not exactly your mainstream guy. And he's gay. Not like there's a lot of guys who share his interests.

One day, he's doing a friend a favor by filling in for him as bartender in a pub, and in walks a good-looking guy. Suit, tie, the whole nine yards. And they strike up a great conversation and it turns out they have a lot in common. Can quote silly old movie lines, and there's a spar...more
Ami
"A Bar Tender Tale" is a lovely tale of 22-year-old Nathan, who lives in Kemp Town, Brighton (which is known its abudance of gay bars, lesbian bars, and everything-in-between bars), along with his friends (straight and gays), and the object of Nathan's affection, a 31-year-old solicitor Auryn. Told mainly from Nathan's perspective, he is appealing for readers, with his love toward B-movies and action figures, and his wanting to get a more serious relationship after having a disaster wit...more
Lucy
Reviewed for heartsonfirereviews.com

Bar Tender Tale has the most larger than life characters. They just jumped off the pages for me, and made the book so interesting. Nathan is a bartender, working at a gay pub called Rainbows, in an area filled with all kinds of pubs. He is a self proclaimed nerd who loves zombies, B movies, action figures and comics, yet has many tattoos (including the Bat symbol) and dresses at times in club gear (glitter makeup and pomade). He is 22 years old, past the time...more
Ann
Nathan is just so awesome. I was completely hooked and sucked into his world right away. From his inner dialog, to his punk sing alongs in the bathroom, to his love of all things B Movie, he had me.

His world is simple, he's a good friend a happy guy and deserves way better than his boyfriend who is constantly MIA. When he does a favor for a friend by working a morning shift at a neighborhood pub, he meets Auryn, who is just too good to be true.

The story is faced paced, smart and funny. I laughe...more
Harper
Loved this one! Nath was one of my favorite types of heroes: a glittery, tattooed, somewhat spazzy, fan of zombies and B-movies. This is about the start of his relationship with Auryn (love that name). It's a cute, funny story, and I thought it ended at just the right moment.

How about a story for Justin, then, Ms. Tushmore?
Cayce
Jul 08, 2012 Cayce rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: m-m
4.5 stars.

First off, I love Melanie Tushmore! Her first (?) book The Price of Falling was absolutely fantastic. So it was a no-brainer (lol, does this count as a zombie joke?) that I'd read more from her.

And A Bar Tender Tale was also a hit for me.

I LOVED Nathan. He is kind of a geek. A seriously hot geek with tattoos and a cool job (at least in my opinion bartending is cool :D
And I was really happy that he found a fellow geek :) Auryn is older and more serious, but he also likes B-rated movies...more
Gabbi

Nathan is coming off of a bad breakup. His ex-boyfriend has been stringing him along and cheating on him, with Nathan being none the wiser. When he finally realizes he’s better off without his ex, Nathan decides he’s going to put his ex behind him and have a good day. As a bartender who works two jobs, time off is precious to Nathan, so he decides to visit a friend of his, who is also a bartender. Nathan immediately notices that his friend is so exhausted...more
C.J. Anthony
I gave this one five stars because I absolutely loved the characters. The author does a wonderful job of making them feel real and fun and likable. They jump off the page, as does the scenery and the bars/pubs.

Nathan is just adorable and not at all what I expected from the cover & blurb. He has a sweet side to him, and it was cute to watch how nervous and unsure he is around Auryn, and how much he really likes Auryn.

Auryn is older, a little more quieter and holds back. Or rather he tries to...more
Debbie
I expected to like this book, but I didn't expect to absolutely love it. Nathan - has there ever been a cuter MC? I don't think so. A curious blend of sweet and sass, vulnerability and spitfire. Really, Nathan is a pretty romantic, old school guy wrapped in a very unexpected package. I adored him.

This story definitely has a British flair, but it didn't pull me out of the story too much. Nathan and his friends very much act their younger age, and they are fun. Everything about the story felt auth...more
Connie
I'm still smiling.
A Bar Tender Tale is a great love story, fun to read with adorable MCs.
Nathan in all his nerdy glory,sweet attitude and what a pushy bottom that boy is! LOL
Auryn is the older guy, everything that Nathan needs - perfect boyfriend material.
What I loved about these two is that they can be awkward together. They both feel like they don't fit in their friends circle or that they are always the weird ones, but together they totally make sense.
First time reading Melanie Tushmore and i...more
Meggie
As soon as I started to read this story I lost myself in it. And the pages simply vanished. Gosh it was to short. Why so short.... I loved this story. I really hope we will read some more about Nathan and Auryn. They were so good together. Let us get more!!!! The writing style was clean and truthful, it was easygoing and pulling till the end. I will say to everyone, be smart and read this book.
Recommended!
Mandy*reads obsessively*
Barkeeper Nathan is a fun narrator of this story, he's getting over his ex Danny when he meets Auryn a shy lawyer who is 10 years his senior.
There are lots of friends introduced and I wonder if there will be more books set in the bar, since we were introduced to all the guys.
The British english took a few pages to get used to for me, but overall a good read.
Erica Pike
Jun 04, 2012 Erica Pike rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone!
Oh jeez. I've watched a lot of Hollywood films in the past, and I love them. Some I even watch over and over again. But then sometimes I'm in the mood for something different and chance on non-Hollywood films. In the past that has lead me to brilliant British movies like: Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels; Trainspotting; The Full Monty; Shaun of the Dead; and even Blow Dry (yes, love that one, largely thanks to Alan Rickman and that sexy tattoo under his foot). Those quirky, in-your-face-reali...more
Diane
Great story, great characters - both lead and supporting!

Nathan has a bad news boyfriend, who has left him in the lurch again, in a bout of self pity, he takes a wander through town and winds up at the pub of a friend, who is "suffering" from a night out, so Nathan offers to tend the pub while his friend gets some sleep. As Nathan is feeling a bit depressed about the one he thinks is his boyfriend, he has not made himself up for the day, so of course in walks the most attractive man he's ever me...more
Sylvia
4.5, because I'm picky and little things niggled at me, but the characters, scenes and story telling were awesome, and I laughed so much I had to put the book down for a minute at one point. I loved this book, adored Nathan and his friends, and I think A Bar Tender Tale is going to have to go into my favourites folder ^^
Lexi Ander
Very fun and up beat. Nathan and Auryn were adorable together. His friends had me in stitches. They're people I would love to hang out with. There was some truly great dialog throughout. Is it bad that I was hoping that Gary, the straight guy, would hook up with his old roommate who was crushing on him? Nah! Great read!
Elci
Sometimes boy meets boy, like each other and take it from there. No crazy angst, big misunderstanding, roving zombies etc. just 2 guys figuring out the let's date thing. This was a fun read.

I've always had a thing for cool punk-rock boys who like crazy B movies.
Anna May
I was going to list what I loved about this book but the goodreads was down and it's been a while since then...

But I had a great time reading and just so much fun that I would honestly recommend this book!
MostlyDelores
Liked the setting, liked the style, liked the secondary characters and the cheeky chatter. Not crazy about the main relationship - there was too much unexplained hand-wringing and pearl-clutching for me.
Hearts On Fire Reviews
Reviewed by: Lucy
Publisher: Dreamspinner Press
Genre: M/M Contemporary

Check out the review on http://heartsonfirereviews.com/
Kera
I loved Nathan! Enjoyable may-december romance between two people who have a fondness for B movies and zombies. Very cute!
Emily
A Bar Tender Tale follows newly single gay twenty-something Nathan. Nathan’s elusive ex-boyfriend Danny has just left him high and dry, again, and Nathan’s fed up. The exact same day he swears off Danny, he meets Auryn. Auryn is thirty one years old, and a zombie nerd just like Nathan. Auryn is a romantic, while Nathan is more concerned with the sexual nature of their relationship. Problems arise when the two begin to intertwine their very different lives.

Most male/male stories I’ve read are al...more
clear skies
This story is pretty charming and even more so since it is based in Britain (England) and done so well. I have read a few British authors and they tend to make their settings really generic. However, the author here has done no such thing -- and for that alone I love this book. The characters were great and the dialogue was fun.

I rated this book three stars because at the end of the day, the story is simple not very diverse in plot and didn't make me go wow. It did however make me smile, and mad...more
Angelmira
I would like to give it more stars but 4 but i just cant. I didnt like Nathan. *blushes* Maybe im hypersensitive. But i really couldnt connect with him. He is totally immature in my opinion. He met some guy. He want him in his bed. The guy told him he wants to take things slowly and his response? Drunk himself to stupor and repeatedly throwing himself at Auryn. I dont understand what Auryn sees in Nathan. It's a mystery for me.
They know each other three days. Auryn is trying to know him better...more
Guilty Pleasures
Charnel's review posted on Guilty Pleasures

A very cute romantic comedy.

Nathan is in a one sided relationship, his ‘boyfriend’ is MIA, again, so he spends his morning wandering around town looking for him but trying to not appear stalkerish. It’s Nathan’s day off but instead of spending in bed with is missing boyfriend, as he planned; he ends up spending it doing a favor for his friend, working the morning shift in his pub. Suddenly his day is looking up when Nathan meets the man of his dreams, A...more
Dreamspinner Press: A Bar Tender Tale by Melanie Tushmore 7 22 Feb 01, 2012 05:13AM
  • Zombie Wonderland
  • Catching Kit
  • Special Needs (Special Needs, #1)
  • Loving Hector
  • Caregiver
  • Aliens, Smith and Jones
  • Bennie's Wish
  • Riot Boy (Superpowered Love, #2)
  • Marlowe's Ghost
  • Venetian Masks
  • Fairytales Slashed 1
  • Tailor Made (Tailor Made, #1)
  • More Than Chemistry
  • Love & Patience
  • Mending Noel (North Pole City Tales #1)
  • A Cut Above the Rest
  • Second Chance at Love
  • Making Ends Meet
Writer of fiction including themes

Alternative subcultures: goths, punk rockers, rebels and outcasts

Contemporary
Gay
LGBTQ Fiction
QUILTBAG Fiction

and very British Humour

More about Melanie Tushmore...
The Price of Falling Rhys Has a Crush The Green-Eyed Monster (Crucifox, #1) Goblins, Book One The Vampire (Crucifox, #0.2)

“No," Nathan grumbled. "Like, not piss on him, just all around him." Stuart raised an eyebrow. "Nath, you need to chill. We're in a bar, a busy bar. We can't stop people talking to each other."
"I know but-"
"Look, don't worry about it," Stuart insisted. "Try not to turn into a bunny boiler just yet.”
3 likes