Start by marking “More Than Words Can Say” as Want to Read:
More Than Words Can Say

More Than Words Can Say

From the author of If Wishes Were Horses comes a novel of long-buried secrets and self-discovery, showing us that sometimes what goes unsaid is more powerful than words. . . .

Chelsea Enright never expected to inherit her grandmother's lakeside cottage deep in the Adirondacks—a serene getaway that had been mysteriously closed up decades ago. This is no simple bequest, howev
Published December 2011

To ask other readers questions about More Than Words Can Say, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about More Than Words Can Say

Erin
Dec 15, 2011 Erin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I have to say I was super disappointed with this book. I always open a book with an open mind, and I'm always searching for something fantastic. This book was not. I know it has some editing to be done still, but overall, I was not crazy about the storyline or the writing style.

The story was set up like it was going to involve some mysterious, dark secret. The plot ends up being rather mundane...maybe this would have worked as an 'immoral' story several decades ago. Compared to the types of beha
Emily
Dec 01, 2011 Emily rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I received an advance copy of this book and I really wanted to like it, but I was very disappointed in the writing style. There were overused phrases throughout the novel (specifically "precious" when referring to wartime rations of sugar, coffee and champagne), and Chelsea’s interior monologue included phrases that NO ONE would think to themselves (i.e. “as I look down upon Brandon, I realize that I was wrong and that all the others in my life were mere dalliances.” REALLY!?). I found myself ro ...more
Jessica
Dec 28, 2011 Jessica rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
Ughh finally, I'm done reading this book! I was looking forward to starting this one after I won an ARC from librarything, but by the end I was just tired of the story. The author had a good idea, but the execution was very poor and had me skimming the last 30 pages because it was so drawn out.

The main reason I didn't like this book, though, was because of the unrealistic dialogue. Some of the things Chelsea or Brandon say are SO ridiculous and there is NO WAY anyone would ever say that when th
Kathleen (Kat) Smith

Once in a blue moon you come across an exceptional book that leaves you in awe of just how great the story is and how emotionally connected to it you are. I have found such a treasure in the latest book from Robert Barclay, More Than Words Can Say, and to say if you haven't read it, you'll want to pick this one up and completely set aside some time to get lost in the characters and the story.

The premise of the story takes place at a lakeside cottage tucked away in the Adirondack mountains where
Simone
Nov 24, 2012 Simone rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Barfety Barf Barf!

Holy Moly that was one bad book.

I was expecting something along the lines of a WW2 intrigue based on quotes like this in the description: “when Chelsea finds her grandmother's WWII diaries, she's stunned to discover that they hold secrets she never suspected . . . and they have the power to turn her own life upside down”.

I never suspected it was a romance! I thought she’d discover her granny was a spy or worked in a secret government department during the war and lead rescues
Sara Strand
Jul 14, 2012 Sara Strand rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I will tell you right away I liked this book. I really love a book that will suck you into it within the first ten pages. The hook in this book is that right from the beginning- you are intrigued by the letter Chelsea's grandmother leaves her and you just have to know what is going to happen. I don't want to give anything away so I'm going to be annoyingly vague about it.

Some great things about this book are that it's about a woman's self discovery in a not cheesy way, there aren't sweeping rom
Margo Brooks
Dec 12, 2012 Margo Brooks rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
A very disappointing read. I was excited to read a story about the Adirondacks and the story was fine. The writing, however, although technically fine, served to distance the reader from the characters, even as the author was trying to bring you closer to their thoughts and feelings. I could understand this if it were self published, but since it was published by HarperCollins and promoted by them as a book club selection, I put a lot of blame on the editor.

If you don't understand what "show don
Kathryn
Jun 28, 2016 Kathryn rated it liked it
Recommended to Kathryn by: Mamey
This was a new author for me when it was recommended. This was a light summer read, easily predictable but fun just the same. I must say some of the dialog was a bit cheesy. Does anyone really call their spouse darling? But that's just me. I had fun reading the book and that's all that matters for me.
Jacqueline
Apr 09, 2013 Jacqueline rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished
Jacqueline Luongo
April 9, 2013
Grade 12 Honors English
More Than Words can say

Chelsea Enright is a very wealthy socialite living in Syracuse, New York. Her father owns many car dealerships and her mother is a professional at spending Chelsea’s father’s money. When Brooke Chelsea’s grandmother passes away, everyone is devastated. Chelsea finds herself trying to console her mother when she cannot even console herself. Soon Chelsea’s life is changed forever. Not only because of the loss of her grand
Samantha Glasser
When Brooke Enright dies, her grand-daughter Chelsea inherits her summer home in the Adirondacks. Brooke left her messages informing her there was a diary hidden beneath the floorboards in the old house which could explain the reason why she never returned to visit the cottage after her husband was killed in WWII. As Chelsea discovers her grandmother's secret, she also finds herself falling for her doctor neighbor in the home next door.

The story sounds interesting enough, but the quality of the
Jan 04, 2012 Laura rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Chelsea Enright inherits her late grandmother Brooke's cottage in the Adirondacks and with it a secret diary and some photographs. The diary holds the clue as to why her grandmother closed the cottage 60 years ago and never returned to live there. When Chelsea goes up to the cottage, she meets her neighbour Dr. Brandon Yale and decides to spend the rest of the summer there as she discovers her grandmother's story.

The premise of this book is good: long-buried family secrets, a summer cottage, rom
Steph Ruswick
Aug 18, 2014 Steph Ruswick rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Coleen
Apr 17, 2012 Coleen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2/11/12 - I always feel bad when I have to give a bad review, but here goes....

This book description sounded good: A young woman (Chelsea) inherits her grandmother's lake cottage -- a cottage that has been boarded up for over 50 years -- as well as all its secrets. So off goes Chelsea to rediscover the cottage in an attempt to learn more about her grandmother. The plot was okay. However, it was pretty predictable & not overly original.

The thing that bothered me the most was the writing style
Julie
Jan 19, 2012 Julie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book reminded me of Nicholas Spark's writing style. It was a sweet lovely, easy to read story and I enjoyed it very much. I read it in a couple days. A few of the lines stood out to me, " Rather than parting two old friends, the death of one has a way of joining them forever." Emily answered. ( So did she know?) That's a mystery.

" Love is something that each of us strives for, dreams of, clings to, and rejoices in. But who among us can claim to be it's master?" ( So true)

" Reticence between
Tami
Feb 15, 2012 Tami rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was very excited to read this book, I love books that combine the past and present into a wonderful story line. Unfortunately, the book was a disappointment. The characters were not engaging in the least and very unbelievable. The conversations the characters would have are even more strange, the dialogue felt forced and often times like it was written for a bad sitcom based in the 1950's. I also did not enjoy the endless description, the description of everyone's outfit in each scene, the fur ...more
Karen
Dec 28, 2016 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great read.I very nearly gave it five stars. But I couldn't wrap my head around the last letter, leading up to the ending of the book. Any connection I felt with the character Brook Bartlett just faded away, like so much fog. It really unravelled for me. And I can't even give a spoiler without completely ruining the entire book.

I would recommend this to my friends, with the disclaimer that you may not like, or understand the choice made by Brook when her reasoning becomes clear in the
Danielle
Jan 08, 2013 Danielle rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I love the WWII angle, but it was just too hallmark movie for me
Maureen Raistrick
yuck...why did I bother...
Stefanie
Jan 05, 2013 Stefanie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Poorly written with an incredibly predictable plot. Bummer.
Rachel
Jan 24, 2013 Rachel rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The writing in this book was horrible. Who would publish this guy?
Stacey
Jun 23, 2017 Stacey rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
An interesting story, but poorly written. There is confusion when the different voices are "speaking."
(four: Chelsea, whats-his-name, Brooke, and Greg). Sometimes you're in Brooke's dialogue and then you start hearing Greg's thoughts, for example. Also highly unrealistic. Within 48 hours both couples just know the other person is their soulmate without knowing more about them other than their names and what they look like. They are ready to share the deepest secrets and troubles. Lastly, tries t
Laurie B
Jan 29, 2017 Laurie B rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I made it all the way to the end, but should have stopped long before going so far. The description sounded intriguing, but as so many others have said, it went on and on....and on and on. This dumb girl could have read the diary in one sitting; instead "the mystery" was drawn out by her silly desire to make a big deal out of nothing.

I chose this audiobook because I'd liked this narrator on another audiobook and liked her. She did a great job narrating this long, drawn out story that was disappo
Helene Slowik
on the one hand, most of the story line didn't make sense but on the other hand, once you accept the premise then the story is predictable.

Not sure why he decided to write from a woman's viewpoint - I was ready to throw the book away after a third reference to 'matching....' fill in an item of apparel'.

On a positive note, he did include some recipes - the grapefruit cake is delicious but go easy on the glaze
Bookworm
About:
Chelsea Enright comes from a wealthy family from Upstate New York. When her grandmother dies, she bequeaths Chelsea her antique lakeside cottage located in the Adirondacks. She leaves Chelsea a note, with a key, instructing her to go to the cottage alone and open a tin box that is hidden beneath floorboards.
What Chelsea finds inside the box are her grandmother Brooke's diaries, dating back to WWII. As she reads her past diary entries, she learns all kinds of secrets about her grandma. Che
Maria
Jan 23, 2012 Maria rated it really liked it
2012 is shaping up to be a great year as far as books go. I am really in reader heaven. So far every book I have read this month has really been worth my time! More Than Words Can Say is one of those books I will mention to my friends as a must read.

I read this book last week, over 4 books ago and in 1 day. I thought this review was already written and will do my best to do it justice in a typical Amateur Book Review. Fortunately, I have talked about the book for a week now with my girlfriends s
Kristi (Books and Needlepoint)
While this book had a somewhat predictable outcome, I enjoyed it nonetheless. After inheriting the cottage, Chelsea receives instructions through her Gram's lawyer, that she must visit the cottage and retrieve and read something that her Gram hid under some floorboards there before she decides to sell it. She honors these wishes because of her close relationship with her Gram, even though she considers herself a city girl. She is not sure what she will do with herself at a lake cottage.

Soon aft
WifeMomKnitter
Dec 10, 2011 WifeMomKnitter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
From the Goodreads synopsis:

"From the author of "If Wishes Were Horses" comes a novel of long-buried secrets and self-discovery, showing us that sometimes what goes unsaid is more powerful than words. . . .

Chelsea Enright never expected to inherit her grandmother's lakeside cottage deep in the Adirondacks--a serene getaway that had been mysteriously closed up decades ago. This is no simple bequest, however, because when Chelsea finds her grandmother's WWII diaries, she's stunned to discover tha
Adele Symonds
Apr 26, 2012 Adele Symonds rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-star-books
In this extremely good novel Chelsea Enright, a successful art teacher, inherits her grandmothers lakeside cottage and her wartime recipe book. She is led on a journey of personal discovery as she learns more about her late grandmother, Brooke Bartlett, through her wartime diaries which were hidden in the cottage.

Chelsea meets her true love while staying in the cottage that eventful summer, her story has very close parallels to her grandmothers with some major positive differences.

You will meet
Virginia Campbell
"More Than Words Can Say", by Robert Barclay, was a wonderful discovery for me as a reader. This is a perfect book for someone who loves romance, emotionally rich family drama, and has a sentimental attachment to WWII era fiction, which alternates with the modern-day story line of the book. I am also a foodie, and I was thrilled with this aspect of the book, and I love the recipes which are named for famous people of the WWII time setting. I must try "Clark Gable's Grapefruit Cake"--sounds most ...more
Virginia Myers
I hope this is not considered cheating, but I like to read the other reviews after I have finished a book to see if I agree with the other comments. So this time I found some reviews that gave the book a very low rating - one said the book was "barfy" and other ones said the book was great. Well - this book was not a WOW! for me but it surely did not make me nauseous either.

It was an enjoyable read - it did not advance my IQ nor did it put me to sleep. The characters were interesting - but I co
Romance! 2 5 Jul 25, 2013 04:14AM
  • Restoration
  • Too Close for Comfort
  • The Wedding Writer
  • The Siren of Paris
  • Paper Angels
  • House of Mercy
  • Christmas in Sugarcreek (Seasons of Sugarcreek)
  • The B.T.C. Old-Fashioned Grocery Cookbook: Recipes and Stories from a Southern Revival
  • Far from Here
  • You Don't Love This Man
  • Once in a Blue Moon
  • Into the Killing Seas
  • Hotel No Tell: A Novel
  • Winner Lose All
  • Until the Next Time
  • Under the Skin (An Elizabeth Goodweather Appalachian Mystery #6)
  • Heart Echoes (Side Roads #3)
  • Line by Line