Edge of the Triangle

Edge of the Triangle

4.4 of 5 stars 4.40  ·  rating details  ·  5 ratings  ·  4 reviews
From KIRKIS REVIEW The Triangle Shirtwaist Fire anchors a generations-long family tragedy in this brooding historical melodrama. Fleeing his violent, corrupt father-the first of the novel's string of brutal patriarchs-16-year-old Junior Millwood travels in steerage from Ireland to the teeming New York City of 1906, a journey that begins a lively immigrant bildungsroman. Ri...more
Published March 10th 2011 by Novelist Duane Cook

Jennie
I won this copy as part of a Goodreads giveaway.

I recently watched a documentary on the Triangle fire in 1911. I was lucky enough to win a copy of this book.

I have always been interested in the history revolving around the industrial revolution and how it allowed our factory system to evolve our labor movement. The fire was devastating at the time and shaped some of our modern laws that protect us today.

I thought that the book would mainly cover the fire but it also covered a rich family histor...more
Mayda
Spanning more than a hundred years, beginning in County Cork, Ireland and ending in New York City, this saga of the Millwood family follows four generations as they sought to succeed and prosper in their own fashion. D. H. Cook’s succinct, almost abrupt style of writing makes for a fast paced read with minimal details, yet offers enough descriptions for the reader to grasp the time periods as well as the development of the characters. Fascinating in its portrayal of politics and corruption, of l...more
LAWonder10 Worley
This is an informative book. Details were researched well before presenting this Historical fiction. Appreciation for the researched details is felt by this person. It would be interesting to know if there is any fact involved in the creation of the particular main family of the story.
Much of the language is crude(although I know it was and is used all too frequently) and there are other situations that had no strong baring on the story which could have been handled more tactfully.
The story dra...more
Cathy Reads
Author from Fairport
Mallory Anne-Marie
Mallory Anne-Marie marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2014
Ari
Ari marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2014
Debbie Hoffman
Debbie Hoffman marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2013
MaryannC.
MaryannC. marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2013
Holly
Holly marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2013
Shannon Burrows
Shannon Burrows marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2013
Nin
Nin marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2013
Onewithbooks
Onewithbooks marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2012
Katrina
Katrina marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2012
Sarah marked it as to-read
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Lorraine
Lorraine marked it as to-read
Albert
Albert marked it as to-read
Kelley
Kelley marked it as to-read
Deandra
Deandra marked it as to-read
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Jeannie
Jeannie marked it as to-read
Alysa Morley
Alysa Morley marked it as to-read
Judie Dooley
Judie Dooley marked it as to-read
Grace Sanders
Grace Sanders marked it as to-read
May 31, 2012
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Rebecca Graf
Rebecca Graf marked it as to-read
Meghan
Meghan marked it as to-read
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
« previous 1 3 next »