Start by marking “The Captain of the Polestar, and Other Tales” as Want to Read:
The Captain of the Polestar, and Other Tales

The Captain of the Polestar, and Other Tales

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  68 ratings  ·  9 reviews
General Books publication date: 2009 Original publication date: 1890 Original Publisher: Longmans, Green Subjects: Great Britain Fiction / Action
Published July 10th 2012 by General Books (first published April 4th 1883)

To ask other readers questions about The Captain of the Polestar, and Other Tales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Captain of the Polestar, and Other Tales

Michael
As this is a book of short stories, and as my memory is shorter still, I shall review as I go.

The Captain of the Pole-Star: I like a setting in the frozen polar regions - and shades of Frankenstein by Mary Shelley haunt these environs. The story is told in the form of a journal by a young ship's doctor, concerned for the sanity of the titular captain. The foreshadowing of doom in Captain Craigie's falsely optimistic statement that (view spoiler)
Riju Ganguly
A great effort on part of the Ash Tree Press to remind us about the story-telling abilities of ACD that often get overshadowed by our preoccupation with Sherlock Holmes. The stories are great, and the Kindle edition is very-very pocket-friendly.
Pasi Rahko
Viktoriaanisen aikakauden tunnelma oli kohdallaan näissä viehättävän vanhanaikaisissa mysteeri tarinoissa. Nykyaikaisen salapoliisikirjallisuuden isältä A. Conan Doylelta onnistui myös fantasiatarinoiden kirjoittaminen.

Alan
Arctic expedition, eccentric ship's captain, first-hand account of reliable witness, and a bog-standard lost-love ghost. Nothing new, but a well-crafted story which is enjoyable to read.
From BBC Radio 4 Extra:
A young doctor sails on a whaling ship.
Susan
There is not much by Doyle that disappoints.
Sharon Eudy Neufeld
only for fans of Victorian SF
Kacee
Kacee marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
Steven Engelhardt
Steven Engelhardt marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2014
Timothy Kauphusman
Timothy Kauphusman marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
Shalen
Shalen marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2014
Arlies
Arlies marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Cairea Hobbit
Cairea Hobbit marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Og Maciel
Og Maciel marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Bbsteph
Bbsteph marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2014
Kelly Crowe
Kelly Crowe marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Katherine
Katherine marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Josh Cole
Josh Cole marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Faith
Faith marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Jessie
Jessie marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Arthur Conan Doyle was born the third of ten siblings on 22 May 1859 in Edinburgh, Scotland. His father, Charles Altamont Doyle, was born in England of Irish descent, and his mother, born Mary Foley, was Irish. They were married in 1855.

Although he is now referred to as "Conan Doyle", the origin of this compound surname (if that is how he meant it to be understood) is uncertain. His baptism record
More about Arthur Conan Doyle...
A Study in Scarlet  (Sherlock Holmes, #1) The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #3) The Hound of the Baskervilles (Sherlock Holmes, #5) The Complete Sherlock Holmes The Complete Sherlock Holmes, Volume II

“I dislike my fellow-mortals. Justice compels me to add that they appear for the most part to dislike me.

The Man from Archangel
35 likes
“From my boyhood I have had an intense and overwhelming conviction that my real vocation lay in the direction of literature. I have, however, had a most unaccountable difficulty in getting any responsible person to share my views.

- Cyprian Overbeck Wells: A Literary Mosaic