Start by marking “The Vampire Diaries: The Awakening (Vampire Diaries, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Vampire Diaries: The Awakening (Vampire Diaries, #1)

The Vampire Diaries: The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries #1)

3.43 of 5 stars 3.43  ·  rating details  ·  41,372 ratings  ·  2,235 reviews
Elena is the school beauty, but she’s bored, until a new boy turns up in her class. Stefan is dark and mysterious—and she’s determined to get to know him better. But Stefan is just as determined to resist her... until a series of attacks in the area terrify the town and Stefan is held responsible. Elena is the only one who offers to help and, falling in love with her, Stef ...more
Audiobook
Published (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about The Vampire Diaries, please sign up.

Book Vamp Jade Williams I love the TV series, and I love the Damon/Elena spin through a few of the season but the book...blah! Will make you want to scream. Its the complete…moreI love the TV series, and I love the Damon/Elena spin through a few of the season but the book...blah! Will make you want to scream. Its the complete opposite of the series you know. Not one character is really "like-able". I read the first book sometime last year and stuffed it in a dark corner, I was so disgusted, mostly with Elena's character. But if you can read it with an open mind. AND NOT compare it to the series I wish you luck. Just re-started reading book the series, I want to see how much it differs as it continues but from what a friend says I might be disappointed in the female protagonist...(less)

Elle

If you can only have one star, it may as well be a Death Star.
Anthi
My god!!! What can I say about this book?? IT IS A BAD BOOK!!! It has bad cheesy prose, a snotty annoying (and kind of a bimbo) heroine and the cliched, brooding Byronic vampire hero, needless to say that the moment they lay their eyes upon each other they fall hopelessly in love. Oh yes!! I can't believe I almost forgot!!!!! The mother of all originalities... it also has a love triangle!!!! I think it's safe to say that this book is the poster book for cheesy YA pnr books and since it was writt ...more
Nightfalltwen
Written long before Twilight. SMeyer's claim of never having read Vampire fiction is absurd. There are FAR TOO MANY parallel's between LJ Smith's characters and Smeyer's.

And when it comes down to it? SMeyer has nothing on LJ Smith.

The story is refreshing and action packed. The characters are likeable. Stefan and Damon are interesting. And they don't SPARKLE!

All in all? 9 billion times better than Twilight. I can't wait to read the next one
Petra (Safari Poet)
I didn't expect this book to be what it was. I was planning on reading the series, but I kinda forced myself to finish this book, which is obviously not a good sign.

Elena's characters wasn't likeable. I don't mind the being popular part, I just couldn't stand it when she was ordering people around to find out information about Stefan. And when she realizes that *gasp*, she might not get the guy, it's like the world will end because she didn't get what she wanted for once.

The highs and lows barel
Raleigh
What a waste of 2-3 hours. Thankfully, it wasn't any longer than that.

There is absolutely nothing interesting about this book. The plot is trite. When am I going to learn to shun all vampire books?

Elena, the main character, has to be one of the most annoying characters I have ever read. She is "perfect", self-centered, and has no personality. And she's just plain stupid. She becomes obsessed with having (I hate when people say the want to "have" someone >_<) Stefan, the new guy. Besides t
Stephanie
Jan 10, 2010 Stephanie rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one at all; tweens can and should do better
Recommended to Stephanie by: the far superior TV series
Read Awakening legally and for free here courtesy of the publisher. But please keep adequate amounts of brain bleach on hand.
What can I say? I read this on the usually-safe assumption that the book would be better than its adaptation. Differences are usually in the book's favor, but for once this is not the case. The TV series is a dramatically revised and very loose adaptation of the book, and a HUGE IMPROVEMENT. I'd give the TV series 4 stars, but this book is among the most worthless I have e
Margot
After reading the vampire trilogy by Stephenie Meyer, I thought I would continue my bloodthirsty fiction rampage with this older teenage vampire trilogy. Lo and behold, it's almost the same story! Oh, Stephenie Meyer, now I know how you cranked out those three fat (should have been heavily edited) books in such a short span of time! For shame!
Lindsey
Okay, this was MY Twilight before there was Twilgiht. I read this series when I was about thirteen. I was already into vampires in my preppy goth kind of way, and this one made me say SQUEE! This book is from the early 90's, but with the Twilight phenomenon, it's now been reissued, bound with a new cover featuring some blonde model, and is being considered as the basis of a TV series on CW (not sure how I feel about that). I like the original cover better (featured above). I had to bid on ebay f ...more
Ronja
May 05, 2011 Ronja rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: little squealing school girls
I came to that book by the internet. A lot of people recommended it and I thought it MUST be right. Gosh, did I failed.
It's one of the first book I was eager to give away and I really regret that I bought it. At first the cover of my german version is ugly (yeah I know, don't judge a book by its cover, but it IS ugly)

Second, I am really fed up with all this "ooohw dark handsome mysterious guy" or even better TWO gorgeous brothers. I mean do we normal human girls now all have to wait for our Mr.
Isamlq
If the show had not been made, if I had not read a ton of other vampire books, THE AWAKENING might have been OK. Since the show was made and since I have read a ton of YA PNR with vampires as the central figure… I am amazed that I finished it.

First: This book pales in comparison to the show. So from here on out I am not even going to bother with a comparison.

Second: I hate Elena! Flighty, believing herself entitled, and very insensitive to the needs and feelings of those around her (poor Matt!)
Lexa
Gah. This book.

description

To be honest, since Fury disappointed me, I didn't expect much from The Vampire Diaries.

But...

And so am I.

Everyone in this book is batshit crazy. Damon is batshit crazy, Katherine is batshit crazy and Elena isn't really far.

description

I should really stop with the pictures.

Elena, besides being crazy as fuck, has no personality. Actually, none of the characters has a personality. No dreams, no ambitions, no hobbies, no fears. They're all like blank papers.

But of course, Elena is a super du
Sarah Pierce
These were some of my favorite books as a teenager. They are about a high school student, Elena Gilbert, who is torn between two hot vampire brothers. Melodrama ensues. They are not the most mature books, but they are all about nostalgia for me. Of course, as I get older, I think that a lot of the things Elena does are downright stupid, but I still remember how romantic it all seemed when I was 14.
Hannah S.
I've watched the tv show for quite a while, which I admit definitely colors my reception of the book. But I could not get past the first few chapters. I tried, because I wanted to see how the books differed from the show. I really did try, which is why I made it to the third chapters instead of the just the first. The writing was sub-par and I just could not relate to any of the characters. They seemed like caricatures, all obsessed with popularity and being the "queen bee," and I just couldn't ...more
Merary
Well, well, well. This is the book that actually started the cliche storm that influenced the Twilight series. Put it in your book history book (Whaa?), my dear readers!

I haven't seen the TV series yet (I will until I finish the entire series. I can't wait for Nina Dobrev, one of my favorite actresses!), but I'm pretty sure it's so much better than this. I don't know, maybe it was the writing that set me off. I wouldn't say it was terrible, it just wasn't . . . good. I will say it once again: Sh
Blodeuedd Finland

The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries #1)
Genre: YA paranormal romance
Pages: 272
Published: 1991
The Vampire Diaries #1

Ok the vampire diaries. First yes I get why they have this cover, but when she has dark hair and Elena has blonde, it's just weird.

Elana fancies a boy, the boy Stefan is a vampire, she wants him, he is scared for her sake, they get together.

That was the short version.

First, 17 year old girl, 500 year old vampire, eww.

Ok to the story. I didn't like Elena. She was the most beautiful gi
Nikoleta
Δεν είναι κακό, μικρό και ευκολοδιάβαστο, αν κ σίγουρα έκανε κακό το οτι είμαι φαν της σειράς. Το βιβλίο και η τηλεοπτική σειρά δεν εχουν σχεδόν καμία σχέση. Όταν το δέχτηκα αυτό και άρχισα να το διαβάζω ως κάτι διαφορετικό άρχισα και να το απολαμβάνω. Παρ'ολα αυτα έχω ενστάσεις για το χαρακτήρα της Ελένα, ουτε στη σειρά τη συμπαθώ, ούτως ή άλλως, αλλά εδώ αγγίξαμε νέα όρια αντιπάθειας!
Anne
Well, I didn't like this book. Not at all. I read half of the book and then got really really bored so I scanned the pages til the end. I was both relieved and disappointed. Disappointed because the book wasn't good. I did not like the characters - especially Elena. And relieved because I was saved from another half a day of pure stupidity.

Elena's obsession with the Stefan was just too annoying plus there were a bunch of stupidly infuriating scenes that were so, well.. infuriating and stupid. Ta
J.D. Stroube
After reading this book for the fifth or sixth time, I still enjoyed it! It reminds me of Twilight by Stephenie Meyer.

I have about a million positive things to say and only one negative: Elena says "I love you" too quickly. The fact that such a serious statement is made at such an early stage in the book...irritates me. I love you is not something to be taken lightly, and when said too early it makes me think of puppy love, not undying love.

Other than that single annoyance...this book is endear
Aiman
I only read about 1-2 chapters of this book. And I after searching high and low, reading through thesauruses and pondering for hours, I have come up with the perfect word to describe The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries #1) Eww. I can hear you applauding me so I shall take a virtual bow. Thank you. Thank you. I know, right? Eww, eww, eww.

What do we have here? A vain, self-absorbed and depressed teenager and an ancient, lovesick vampire who devours...wait for it... fluffy, innocent, fluffy, cute, f
Tracey
NAME THAT BOOK

First we have
Photobucket
oh great i can't wait....
then add some lines
Photobucket
wait for it!

Clock Pictures, Images and Photos

and then the big reveal.
i'm shaking in anticipation

= Photobucket
Jackie "the Librarian"
Before there was Twilight, or "True Blood", there was the Vampire Diaries series, soon to be a tv series on the CW. With many changes from the books, I'm sure. Oh, no, not another teen vampire series, I can hear you thinking, and yes, it has similarities to Twilight: a school setting, a vampire/human romance, and a good vs. evil vampire subplot. But the Vampire Diaries came first (they were written in the early 90s), and the similarities end there.

Instead of a dorky new girl as a protagonist, El
Christine
I read this in 2008 and it opened my book world to everything and anything paranormal. I remember my school library only having book one and two. I was so psyched and anxious to continue on and find out what happens next - I made a family member drive me to the nearest book store and bought the last two in the series. I used to update every member in my family about what just happened, what shocked me and what spooked me.

For a 14 year old girl it couldn't get any better than that!

However, think
Natalie
Emma Meade
Finished reading it again. Last time was probably 10 years ago.
Great book. Elena is a very different girl from the tv show: self-centred, cocky, selfish, domineering, the ultimate Queen B but I found her character refreshing. So many protagonists in YA fiction these days are wall flowers and misfits so it made a change to read someone who was bold and uber confident.
The Awakening is very well written and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Meli
Tengo que admitir que no soy fan de los vampiros, pero la serie de televisión de TVD me super enganchó desde el principio, entonces fue cuando decidí comprar algunos de los libros para saber más sobre la historia y darle una oportunidad a las historias que solo se basan en vampiros.

Me llevé una desilusión cuando empecé a leerlo, ya en el primer capítulo, que me dí cuenta que el libro no era muy parecido que digamos a la serie de tv. Personalmente, prefiero la serie, raro pero es la realidad. Me
Maria

Well.. I started reading this book with no expectations. I really tried to separate the TV show from the book because I watch the tv show but that was not an easy thing to do. While I was reading it I was thinking "omg in the show they got that wrong" "so wrong" "elena here is like caroline" and so many things. It was confusing for me to get into the book at first because I was so confused because of the TV show.

Elena was so annoying. When Elena said to Stefan that she loved him it was like she
Jamie
This was a decent enough book. The book is written primarily from Elena's (a popular high school girl) perspective. She meets the new student, Stefan, and immediately likes him and decides she wants him. The first half of the book is her pursuing him, the second half is her meeting another mysterious guy and trying to find out about Stefan's past. We find out her mysterious stalker is Stefan's brother Damon. Damon and Stefan are both vampires who killed each other in a fight over a girl, who loo ...more
Miodrag
Fantastic! I watch this TV show that's based on this book, and now after reading this first book, I love that this book is different than TV show, I think I love it even more for that. Only thing that I didn't love is Caroline, why did author made her all bitchy? and one more thing, why Elena have little sister, where's Jeremy? (LOL) and I don't like that Stefan and Damon hate each other that much, in the TV show, they don't like each other so much, but they don't hate one another like in this b ...more
eleonora -
Elena è antipatica. Le sue amiche sono antipatiche. Perfino Stefan è antipatico. Ma Elena è la peggiore: dobbiamo sorbirci una protagonista piena di sé, saccente e vanesia per tutto il tempo. Non avrei mai pensato di dirlo, ma preferisco largamente il telefilm che ne è stato tratto.
Delena Fans!: Season 4 1 2 Jan 22, 2015 09:55AM
NEED HELP! Trying to remember the title of an old YA novel 3 25 Dec 30, 2014 04:07AM
Between Words: Damon vs Stefan 6 18 Nov 12, 2014 01:35PM
Who else thinks this book is cliche? 9 74 Oct 29, 2014 02:57PM
Who should Elena be with- Stefan or Damon? 94 269 Aug 30, 2014 09:48PM
Blood/Mainstreaming 2 11 Jul 12, 2014 02:09PM
vampire diaries 8 38 Jun 05, 2014 05:25AM
  • Creatures of Forever
  • Kissing Coffins (Vampire Kisses, #2)
  • Vampire
  • Stake That (Blood Coven Vampire, #2)
  • Blood Ties (Darke Academy, #2)
  • Love You to Death: The Unofficial Companion to the Vampire Diaries
  • Destiny of the Female Warrior (Nephilim Warrior, #2)
  • Changeling (Sweep, #8)
  • Reckoning (The Fallen, #4)
I have a new blog about my Vampire Diaries fanfic.

L.J. SMITH, Lisa Jane Smith, is the New York Times #1 Bestselling author of The Vampire Diaries, The Secret Circle, The Forbidden Game, Dark Visions, Wildworld and Night World series. She has written over two dozen books for children and young adults, and has enjoyed writing every one of them. She lives in th
More about L.J. Smith...

The Vampire Diaries (5 books)
  • The Struggle (The Vampire Diaries, #2)
  • The Fury (The Vampire Diaries, #3)
  • Dark Reunion (The Vampire Diaries, #4)
  • The Vampire Diaries: Blood Will Tell (The Vampire Diaries: Extras, #4.5)
The Awakening and The Struggle (The Vampire Diaries, #1-2) Night World, No. 3 (Night World, #7-9) Origins (The Vampire Diaries: Stefan's Diaries, #1) Night World, No. 2 (Night World, #4-6) Night World, No. 1 (Night World, #1-3)

“Evil will never find peace. It may triumph, but it will never find peace” 506 likes
“It doesn't matter if you can't say it right now. I'll say it for both of us. And someday you'll learn.” 255 likes