Start by marking “Danger's Hour: The Story of the USS Bunker Hill and the Kamikaze Pilot Who Crippled Her” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Danger's Hour: The Sto...

Maxwell Taylor Kennedy

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  116 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Band of Brothers meets Masters of the Air in this riveting history of the deadly kamikaze attack on the USS Bunker Hill in the final days of World War II---as told by an author with a unique historical vantage point.
Audio CD
Published by IPS Proprietary (first published November 4th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Danger's Hour, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Danger's Hour

Eric_W
What to make of this book. Not being a professional historian working in this area but with some interest in things nautical, I have no in-depth knowledge of the factual nature of this book. Nevertheless, there were some little things that struck me: the Langley (CV-1)described as having begin its life as a light cruiser (it was a collier - note that a later USS Langley CV-17 was indeed originally ordered as a light cruiser), “heads” being called bathrooms, the “rising sun” insignia described as ...more
'Aussie Rick'
This book is an excellent account of the USS Bunker Hill and the Japanese pilot who nearly destroyed her during the final months of the fighting in the Pacific during WW2. The account of the men who sailed and died on the USS Bunker Hill and the story of the brave Kamikaze pilot who dove his plane into the ship flowed effortlessly and it was hard to put the book down. For anyone who would like to learn more about why these men gave their lives during WW2, from both perspectives, this would be a ...more
Andy
This book is an extremely readable account of Japan’s mounting desperation during the final years of WWII, leading eventually to the formation of the Tokkotai (Kamikaze) units and, on May 11th, 1945, the severe wounding of the U.S. aircraft carrier Bunker Hill by two young Japanese pilots. Kennedy has done a great job of reconstructing the personal experiences of the Japanese pilots and several of the men aboard the Bunker Hill, giving a fairly even-handed account of life on both sides of the co ...more
William
Even if the author often slips into moments where he jumps between paragraphs without any transition, the amount of research he put into this work is obvious, and the narrative never seems to lag. Most importantly, the author provides a glimpse into that time that few other historical narratives offer: Kennedy tells us exactly how the combatants from both sides lived and often died. A treasure of interesting detail that still does not hide the bigger story. And give the author much credit for hi ...more
Janice Russell
I don't usually read non-fiction about World War II, but this one was of special interest because my father served on the Bunker Hill. His cousin, Bob Stock, was also on the carrier and against all rules, kept a journal. I have a copy and I followed Kennedy's account with what Bob wrote.
Matt
I enjoyed this read. Author does a solid job setting the period and progress of the war in the Pacific. Nice buildup with e history of the Carriers and what life was like for the men involved. Good idea of the mentality of the Japanese and the mentality behind the Kamikaze pilots.

Very good read overall whether you are a WWII expert or a dabbling novice. good level of detail.

Solid 4 *s
Tad Deshler
What an amazing and horrific story. I've always thought aircraft carriers were virtually indestructible, but clearly this vintage had some serious vulnerabilities. My great uncle was on the Bunker Hill during this attack, but sadly he passed away recently and I never heard the story of his experiences on that ship.
Frances Fuller
Not for the faint of heart. As a burn survivor, the descriptions of the victims, their pain, the lack of knowledge available, before The Vietnam War, of how to deal with burns, resulted in several nights of sleeplessness. I was appalled by the methods used on the young Japanese college students to gradually deprive them "of self" and get them to the position of "He was volunteered for it" (p.184). The loss of Japan's youngest and brightest certainly has given me a new perspective on the current ...more
Jess
I bought this book because my grandfather served on the USS Bunker Hill. He was a part of and witnessed a great deal of the events described in this book. The writing isn't fantastic but he tells the story and I have a great deal of respect for those in the Armed Forces and anyone willing to tell their story should be commended for their work.
Matt
This was a good book. Not great, but it kept my interest. I really enjoyed the background on how the kamikaze program came about and the underpinnings of it the Japanese culture, but the book took too long to get the the event and spent too little time detailing it. There were many parts that felt repetitive.
Evanston Public  Library
During the last days of World War II Japan desperately trained their "best and brightest" as kamikaze pilots to destroy American aircraft carriers. The author explores the determination of the Japanese efforts to frustrate American power. (Tess A., Reader's Services)
Beth
Apr 06, 2009 Beth marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Just learned about this one from The Daily Show. I'm not usually into WWII military history, but my grandmother's brother was on the USS Bunker Hill when it was kamikaze'd, so I have a personal interest in the topic.
Carol Rennell

A very well written book about the attack on the Bunker Hill and the events before and after. A story of bravery, desperation and self sacrifice. A highly recommended book about the war in the Pacific.
Catriona
I truly enjoyed this history book about the US Navy, particularly aircraft carriers, and the Japanese Navy and Kamikaze pilots during WWII. Definitely recommend to fans of war history.
Jim
the utmost horror of war. being in the us navy (1952-56) my ship**i was not on at the time was kamikazed) was very interesting to read about. **uss borie dd704
Damon Hall
Good idea, not badly written but poorly fact-checked/edited. Too many little errors that were hard to ignore and took away from a story that needed to be told.
Shawn
Meticulously researched and excellent read.
Shay
Shay marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015
Steve Parcell
Steve Parcell marked it as to-read
May 12, 2015
Donna
Donna marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015
Paul Cottingham
Paul Cottingham marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
Matthew Scott
Matthew Scott marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
Sam Kennedy
Sam Kennedy marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2015
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
Gabor
Gabor marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Nathan
Nathan added it
May 01, 2015
Becca
Becca marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • A Dawn Like Thunder: The True Story of Torpedo Squadron Eight
  • Enterprise: America's Fightingest Ship and the Men Who Helped Win World War II
  • The Twilight Warriors: The Deadliest Naval Battle of World War II and the Men Who Fought It
  • Sailors to the End: The Deadly Fire on the USS Forrestal and the Heroes Who Fought It
  • Operation Drumbeat: Germany's U-Boat Attacks Along the American Coast in World War II
  • The Ultimate Battle: Okinawa, 1945: The Last Epic Struggle of World War II
  • The Battle of Leyte Gulf: 23-26 October 1944
  • Fortress Rabaul: The Battle for the Southwest Pacific, January 1942-April 1943
  • The Retreat: Hitler's First Defeat
  • One Square Mile of Hell: The Battle for Tarawa
  • Escape from the Deep: The Epic Story of a  Legendary Submarine and her Courageous Crew
  • Bomber Command
  • A Time for Trumpets: The Untold Story of the Battle of the Bulge
  • Roll Me Over: An Infantryman's World War II
  • Dunkirk: Fight To The Last Man
  • Abandon Ship!: The Saga of the U.S.S. Indianapolis, the Navy's Greatest Sea Disaster
  • The Airmen and the Headhunters: A True Story of Lost Soldiers, Heroic Tribesmen and the Unlikeliest Rescue of World War II
  • Shattered Sword: The Untold Story of the Battle of Midway
Make Gentle the Life of This World: The Vision of Robert F. Kennedy Danger's Hour: The Story of the USS Bunker Hill and the Kamikaze Pilot Who Crippled Her: The Story of the USS Bunker Hill and the Kamikaze Pilot Who Crippled Her