Start by marking “Love Story” as Want to Read:
Love Story

Love Story (Love Story #1)

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  33,327 ratings  ·  1,614 reviews
Lose your heart to the novel that defined a generation then...and now.

He is Oliver Barrett IV, a rich jock from a stuffy WASP family on his way to a Harvard degree and a career in law. She is Jenny Cavilleri, a wisecracking, working-class beauty studying music at Radcliffe. Opposites in nearly every way, Oliver and Jenny immediately attract, sharing a love that defies ever
Published (first published 1970)

Nataliya
Jul 15, 2012 Nataliya rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: To hopeless romantics that we all are deep down inside

"Love means never having to say you're sorry" is probably among some of the most ridiculous statements ever.
.......

Luckily it's a rare blemish on a simple but beautiful story. Plus it's cheesy, corny, and insanely quotable, so I'll have to give it a pass on that.

A girl and a boy meet and fall in love. Jenny is a poor artistic sorta-Catholic Radcliffe-educated Italian-American brainiac with a razor-sharp tongue. Oliver is a rich WASPy Harvard "Preppy" jock with a slew of Daddy issues and a Ro
Greg
I read Love Story because I didn't want to see the movie, but I wanted to know what everyone was talking about. While it was an affecting and sentimental little story, even at that young age I felt that it was trying too hard to tug on my heartstrings. It seemed, somehow, too juvenile, even to my then very juvenile mind. In later years, I came to realize that the movie's oft quoted line, "Love means never having to say you're sorry" is a complete falsehood. In fact, love means always being willi ...more
TK421
I appreciate a good love story. No, don’t give me THE BRIDGES OF MADISON COUNTY—that book was crap. Give me a story where the characters are more aligned with Holden Caulfield or Pookie from Nichol’s THE STERILE CUCKOO. I want smart-assy and witty banter. I want characters that play by their own rules or make them up as they go along. I want the possibility of real life. Enter Erich Segal and LOVE STORY. Published in 1970, this short—133 page—novel is relatively obscure today. That’s a shame. Se ...more
Nikita Ompang
I laughed. I cried (and believe me. i cried a lot!). I fell in love. I learned. I simply love the book. It was indeed beautifully written and it reached out into the depths of my soul. My heart just poured out as I read the last few pages of the book. Such a tiny book to stir such great emotions in me.

beautiful.
Nan
Shallow, contrived pseudo-tearjerker. I read this many years ago when it came out, and even though I was much younger and not as wise and mature as I am now, I realized how meaningless was the by-word of the book, "Love means not having to say you're sorry." Love actually means being constantly ready to ask for, give, and receive forgiveness.
Gagan
Apr 01, 2009 Gagan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Lisa Vegan
Sep 21, 2007 Lisa Vegan rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: hopeless romantics?
Shelves: fiction, reviewed, novel
Read this in high school and even though love reading/loved reading stories about dying young, really didn't think much of this. Yes, I admit I was interested in Jenny & Oliver and their love story. But: when people have leukemia or whatever it was she was supposed to have had, they physically suffer a lot more. Thought the way her illness was described was so unrealistic and dishonest. And love does not mean never having to say you’re sorry; I always thought that iconic saying from the book ...more
Danielle
Apr 23, 2008 Danielle rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: romantics
Shelves: romance-love
I found this book in our cabin up on Monhegan Island in Maine. I'm the biggest baby when it comes to romance. We were sitting there playing Scrabble (there's no tv) and listening to Delilah on the radio. I was already almost finished with this book, so I read it between my turns. I just started flat out bawling at the table in front of everyone as I finished. It's such a quick read, but man does this book pack an emotional punch. The characters really come to life. Although their basic descripti ...more
Marvin
May 03, 2013 Marvin rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: my worst enemy
Recommended to Marvin by: My first wife who also recommended Atlas Shrugged.
If 70's writers were teen celebrities, Erich Segal would have been Bobby Sherman or, to use a more contemporary analogy, Justin Beiber. But there is no analogy or scale on earth that would describe how bad this novel is. After reading Love Story in the 70s, I had to go to the bathroom to purge myself. A regular diet of this crap would cause literary bulimia. The movie didn't fare any better having caused me to endure a lifetime hatred of both Ali McGraw and Ryan O'Neal. You have been warned. If ...more
Bonnie
My rating: 2 of 5 stars
Source: Library Checkout

*I plan to discuss parts of this book in detail so spoilers!*

Oliver Barett IV is a rich jock from a well-to-do family. Jenny Cavilleri is a poor, wise ass sorta chick. This is definitely a case of opposites attract with a touch of Romeo and Juliet syndrome; they were destined to fail from the beginning. But they meet; they fall in love, etc. etc. And as the summary so eloquently puts it: “…sharing a love that defies everything yet will end too soon.
Anastasia
Ieri mi è tornato in mente questo libretto di Segal, e ho pensato.."ma perché non recensirlo?".

Okay, l'ho letto nel Febbraio del 2011. Sono un'adolescente, non mi dispiacciono le storie d'amore. Non sono un sasso, se il libro è scritto bene sono capace di commuovermi.

...ma questa è proprio una cavolata.

(view spoiler)
Aditi
May 18, 2012 Aditi rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who's dismissed the romance genre, Erich Segal fans
What can you say about a 25 year old girl who died?

That she made both me and Ollie (Oliver Barrette IV) laugh and cry when she was alive.

Jenny Callivery... my pardon, Cavillery, is a character I liked and grudgingly admired. (I couldn't get to love ; Ali McGraw ruined it for me. More on that later.)
My aquaintance with romance began with a Mills & Boon (Venetian Rhapsody), one more book (Tabitha in the moonlight) and we knew it wouldn't work. It was an amicable separation. I couldn't read ro
Mia
I thought Erich Segal's "Love Story" would be great. I really did, considering all the hype that has lasted for decades. But...

There was no chemistry at all between Oliver and Jenny--The Couple. The only thing they have in common is they like to swear a lot--which got too old too soon in the book. I mean, Oliver had way more chemistry with Phil, his wife's dad, than with his own wife.

Neither characters were likable or relatable. We don't get to know them at all. All we know is that Oliver is a r
Mith
This was a fun, refreshingly charming, quick read. That is, until it reached in, ripped my heart out and crushed it into smush. I adored the book, I adored the characters and their flaws, I adored the relationship between Oliver and Jenny.

Highly recommended, please go read it if you haven't already. Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go cry into a pillow.
Neha
I am the kind of person who has never read 'MBs' . yes.. the. 'Mills & Boons' mania. Infact by the age I realised what they are and how essential they were in the growing years of a girl's life, I never even felt like reading them. So you can imagine how I feel about love stories, the candy floss romance, boy meets girl & they start dating & before they knwo they fall in love and then the problems start. So here I have summarised 99% of the love stories written - sometimes the only d ...more
Sumando Libros
Veamos...

Ok, lo confieso: Soy una prejuiciosa...

Hace unos días unos amigos... conocedores de que ni los chocolates ni helados pueden conmigo mas que los libros... me regalaron un libro!!!... imaginarán, me brillaban los ojitos---> ... aún así y porque, que lo sepan; una Yess malvada habita dentro de mí, esta so bruja me decía: jooo que es que no pudieron comprarte un libro con un tiutlo menos rosa? un poquito mas gordo?? y algo mas actual???

Ladies and Gentlemen... que bruja ha sido mi Yess ma
Fretty
Oct 10, 2007 Fretty rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: novel
Where do I begin
To tell the story
Of how greatful love can be
The sweet love story
That is older than the sea
That sings the truth about the love she brings to me
Where do I start
Performed by Andy Williams

One of the classic love stories that really JUST stays in everyone's mind. Could you name any sad love story aside Romeo and Juliet or Rhet and Scarlet? And one could answer in a gasp "Ah...Oliver and Jen"

This book really stucks its essence and inspires so many young creative people up to thi
Jim
It was a great movie & a better book. Definitely a tear jerker. The love illustrated is the finest kind, Shakesperian in its depth & tragedy. A wonderful stand alone, but the sequel, Oliver's Story is almost as good. Both are a must read - once. I doubt you'll forget them after one read & they're too heart wrenching to re-read.
asdewi
Gegara dibahas di twitter baru nyadar klo gw belum nge-rate buku ini.

Ceritanya sih bagus, tapi bikin sakit hati dan ogaaahhhh buat baca ulang.
Sakit hatinya kebawa ampe sekarang. Ngeliat nama Oliver aja masih suka sedih. Liat bentuknya Harpard sedih lagi (norak deh :p). Dan liat nama yg ketulisnya "Erich" bikin sewot karena jadi ingat si Mr. Segal ini :))

Padahal bacanya udah belasan tahun lalu, nonton filmnya juga udah lama. Tapi sakit hatinya ninggal ampe sekarang.
Makanya salut deh sama orang ya
Ivana
Interesting read...When you think about USA from a perspective of an outsider, you often see it as a coherent nation, but like in the most nations, when you dig a little deeper you find all kinds of interesting mixes.( There are many such examples, such as that we think of flamenco as something Spanish and it actually has both Spanish and gypsy cultural origins).
The most interesting part about this novel for me was not the love story itself but the honest portrait of divisions and boarders that
Jean Pearl
Mar 19, 2011 Jean Pearl rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Romance and Tear-jerker freaks
Recommended to Jean Pearl by: Nikita Ompang
Okay. So expectedly I cried, especially in the end part where tragedy has to happen. Add to that my former knowledge of this as a tragic one and the flashing introductory warning of "What can you say about a twenty-five-year old girl who died?". It was inevitably tragic. But the conciseness, simplicity and realistic profoundness of every part of this book brought me more to be drawn to this. There's nothing more genuine and wonderful and truer than having to experience the love and having to fac ...more
Ishan
"What can you say about a twenty-five-year-old girl who died? That she was beautiful and brilliant. That she loved Mozart and Bach. The Beatles. And me.

Segal starts off by letting us know the end, but still when the end came, it stirred me deeply.
The narration is fresh and sets apart from the other stereotypical love stories.
Although i found the line on the cover page "Love means never having to say you are sorry" ,kind of a cliché. But apart from that i enjoyed every bit of it and it was worth
peg
I saw Love Story listed on someone's site and I was immediately reminded of my own love affair with the book. I read it at the height of my melodramatic adolescence and at that time I was certain that it was the greatest love story ever written.For me at 15,love truly meant that you never had to say you're sorry. What was that all about anyway?

I hesitate to rate Love Story because I don't trust the judgement of the 15-year old who read it. And I will never revisit it for fear of disappointment.
Johanna
My first Erich Segal was "Oliver's Story". After a few months (or maybe a year), I found this book. After reading it, I finally know why Oliver became the Oliver I read in "Oliver's Story".
"Love Story" is a story about a love. A deep love. That ends too soon. This book makes me realize, that loving someone, or be loved by someone, doesn't mean we can be his/her friend. So, if we've found a guy, or a lady, we love him/her, be his/her friend. Than your lives will be beautiful.
Sowmya's book world

What a lovely story ....

If i say in simple words "Love story" was very simple Story.
Very well formed by the Writer. I enjoyed the conversation between Jenny and Oliver as They yell at each other for every conversation.

I would give 4**** because even though it din't had very strong story base , the story touched me .

Of course the story had a sad ending. I remember seeing a very sen-ti movie which makes you cry.
Aideeeee
Totalmente un libro pop.

Es corto, la historia es de lo más simple, pero considero que en una buena manera. Creo que la fuerza del autor está en los diálogos afilados, que fue lo que me hizo darle las 4 estrellas.

Otra cosa que sobresale es el título, es decir, la historia es narrada por Oliver y empieza con una bomba spoiler, eso solo nos deja la historia de los protagonistas que, es como tal, una historia de amor. Fin.

Es lo que yo llamo una lectura descanso.

La Película

Resulta que hace muchos añ
Plch
Maciek
Well, everybody knows either the book or the movie so there's little to say about "Love Story" that hasn't already been said.

It's cheesy, it's juvenile, it tries to grab your heart a little bit too hard, but it's also mercifully short and has no happy ending. It's considered a classic in some circles and getting acquainted with it won't hurt - you'll either get a new book to love or hate, lol !

I also think that the best known line from Love Story, meaning "Love means never having to say you're s
Jenny (adultishbooks)
I've seen the movie a few times and reading the book is exactly like watching the movie. It's not necessary to read both because each one doesn't have much to offer the other medium. If I had to choose between the book and the movie, I prefer the movie.

I felt like this book was too short and the romance (even in the movie) seems inauthentic. In both mediums, I'm unsure what attracted them to one another and I'm still trying to figure it out. I like the storyline but since I've first saw the movi
Lavinia
There was a period in my adolescence when I think I read this like 3 or 4 years in a row. And every time I ended up crying like a fool :))
I'm not exactly sure what caught my eye; her being a bookworm and a music lover (Bach, Beatles - what else was it? - in alphabetical order :)), him being smart, sporty and handsome, the Ivy League setting, their unconventional wedding, dying young. Oh, dear, those guilty pleasures! :))
is this book deserved to be on the worst book list 76 400 Mar 17, 2014 10:58PM
2 33 May 02, 2013 01:49PM
  • The Peace of Nicias and the Sicilian Expedition (Peloponnesian War)
  • Moliere: A Biography
  • My Life As Author And Editor
  • The Mojo Collection: The Ultimate Music Companion
  • My Lai 4: A Report on the Massacre and Its Aftermath
  • A Bolt from the Blue and Other Essays
  • Selected Letters, 1913-1965
  • The Holy Barbarians
  • Brigadoon (Vocal Score)
  • Goldilocks & Three Bears Sb-Apov
  • The Legend of Bagger Vance: A Novel of Golf and the Game of Life
  • A Month of Sundays: Searching for the Spirit and My Sister
The Class

“Love means never having to say you're sorry.” 357 likes
“What the hell makes you so smart?" I asked. "I wouldn't go for coffee with you, " she answered. "Listen -- I wouldn't ask you." "That, "she replied "is what makes you stupid.” 196 likes