Start by marking “Imperfect Strangers” as Want to Read:
Imperfect Strangers

Imperfect Strangers

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  1,079 ratings  ·  43 reviews
The bestselling author of Heat presents his first psychological thriller--his most electrifying novel yet. When his father-in-law has a massive stroke, Sandy Kingsolving has no way of knowing how this will affect his share of the family business. His wife would just as soon see him out on the street. But a deal he makes with a stranger will change Sandy's life . . . foreve...more
Published January 1st 1995 by HarperCollins Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Imperfect Strangers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Imperfect Strangers

Amy
Trolling through the library, without my Goodreads "to-read" list... looking for somthing to excite me beyond my less-than-exciting pile of books to-be-read in the guest bedroom.... I found a section of books by this author. Scrolling through his books, I was hoping for #1 of a series, I ended up with this book (#1 of a series wasn't on the shelf).

I don't think any book could have less developed characters than this book. Flat. Flatter than flat. Negative flat. :)
That being said, the plot is sem...more
Jeanne
Imperfect Strangers is a what happens to Sandy Kinsolving when he makes a pact with a stranger. A lot of things could be gone in a flash if plans change or do not. Take for instance, a large inheritance, a person's future, marriage problems, security, wealth, freedom and normal life could end with this madman who stalks him. A good story. Good ending!
Will
Sandy Kinsolving's journey to rapture. Set away in a family business, Sandy meets a stranger on a London to NYC flight who intimates similar problems with the woman he's married to. In their deal with the devil, each man agrees to murder the other's wife. Confronted with a vicious divorce notice, Sandy has only mixed feelings as his wife is dispatched. By subcontracting the murder, the police investigation is thwarted, although they suspect Sandy is behind it. Forced to uphold his end of the bar...more
K Maier
I've read many of this author's books, but this one was just awful.
Shelley
This was a new twist on an old classic, "Strangers on a Train". The premise and the characters were all really good for me up until the end where it petered out a bit, pun intended as the bad guy is named Peter. Lackluster and predictable ending aside, I still quite enjoyed the story. I found it to be much better than the first Woods book I read, so it will be interesting to see what the future ones hold. My friend's dad is a huge fan and passes all his books along to me when he's through so I h...more
Brent
Sandy, the novels main protagonist, enters a high stakes contest when he agrees to swap wife murder's with a stranger he meets on the plane. Despite his change of heart at the last minute, the story unfolds as he navigates the twists and turns. Complicated by a new love, Sandy is left to maintain his own innocence in the eyes of the law while continually avoiding danger imposed by this imperfect stranger.

I read this in one day on an airplane. Pretty easy read, not bad.
LJ
IMPERFECT STRANGERS - Okay
Woods, Stuart - Standalone

There was some good suspense but I couldn't get involved with the main character.
John
Oct 09, 2011 John marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: woods, overdrive
SD 10/01
On a flight home from London to New York, Sandy Kingsolving strikes up a conversation with a stranger who will change his life forever. Proposing to perfect Hitchcock's plan from Strangers on a Train and thereby solve Sandy's marital problems, the stranger offers him a glistening new future as well as an unstoppable nightmare. National ads/media. HC: HarperCollins.
Lynda
To commit the perfect murders, you need to take into account all the possibilities for failure including people changing their minds and to have contingencies in place. The story was interesting, however; my satisfaction with the book was spotty. There were a few grammar issues that required me to reread the sentence to be sure I read it correctly.
Carol Waters
Two strangers meet on a plan, drink too much, and agree to kill each other's wives. Woods freely admits he stole from Hitchcock, but it was a poor copy. The characters are actually caricatures, shallow, undeveloped, and unlikeable. There was nobody in this mess that was remotely developed as a character, the writing was flat, and the ending predictible.
Lori
I'd never read this early Stuart Woods, and it was a lovely (if ridiculous) find for my summer trip.

Two strangers meet on a plane (after watching Strangers on a Train) and decide each will off the other's wife. Mayhem ensues.

Cheese-filled and lots of fun, even without Stone Barrington.
John
This started out with a lot of promise. It seemed to sputter at the end. The premise was an outstanding one. Two unhappily married men agree to kill each others spouses. One of the two is a bit unbalanced. The tension just didn't sustain itself the entire book.
Phil Hait
Imperfect Strangers is a very good read. It is not one of Stuart Woods continuing character books. It is a clear stand alone with interesting characters & situations. At times the plot becomes taut & suspenseful. This is a very quick read & quite enjoyable.
Kathryn
Another great used book sale find and the third Stuart Woods book I have read, this one a stand-alone book. It took me a while longer to get involved with the story, but once I was into it, I wanted to keep reading and enjoyed it.
Amy Montgomery
Stuart Woods does not disappoint. He is a master story teller. The only reason I gave 4 stars instead of 5 is because the ending was a little cheesy for my liking. Overall good read though.
Chuck
Two men share a flight from London to New York City and during the course of the trip make a deal to murder each others wives. It reminded me of the Hitchcock movie Strangers on a Train.
Hilary LiDestri
This is classic commercial fiction and very engaging. I read it in one sitting and wish he was still writing this type of book instead of what has become a bit formulaic.
Penny
I really liked the plot and the suspense but Woods is just grinding out books and yet again he is not helped at all by the poor quality of the editting.
Conrad
I do not think I will be reading any more of Mr. Woods work. The way he works the plot formula does not create enough interest nor tension for me.
Roy
An interesting premise - good plot development but reads like a made for tv movie - too good to be true. A good summer read though.
Krait
The chances of meeting up with people like this are astronomical. Suspend disbelief about that and this is a plausable book.
Brenda
This book was okay and still a fast read. I didn't find it as exciting as some of his other books but I still liked it.
Margaret
The first Stuart Woods book I read. It hooked me! I've read so many of his books, I can't even remember which ones they are.
Philip Cook
You can't go wrong with a Stuart Woods book. They aren't long, but for a good quick story few authors are better.
Ellen
Total Strangers on A Train rip off. Great news for me as I absolutely love the film. Loved this book too.
A
For anyone who is a fan of Alfred Hitchcock's Strangers on a Train, may like this version.
Michele Kersten-Hart
This book had an interesting twist and a plot that kept you turning pages. Loved it.
Matt Molen
Unbelievably stupid book. Great plot premise, lots of potential. Just so so dumb.
Peggy
It took me a bit of time to get into the book but it was worth finishing.
Imperfect Strangers 1 8 Oct 05, 2009 08:36AM
  • Poinciana
  • No Witnesses (Boldt/Matthews, #3)
  • Counterplay (Butch Karp, #18)
  • Flies on the Butter
  • Wings of Refuge
  • Laguna Heat
  • Glory (Florida Civil War, #5)
  • Conspiracy (Deep Black, #6)
  • The Outside Man
  • Half Of Paradise
  • Triple Threat
  • Edge of Battle (Jason Richter, #2)
  • Embraced by Love
  • The Floatplane Notebooks
  • Sleight of Hand (Barbara Holloway #9)
  • Perish Twice (Sunny Randall, #2)
  • The Outlaw Hearts
  • Small Town: A Novel of New York
Stuart Woods is the author the New York Times-bestselling Stone Barrington series and Holly Barker series. He is an avid private pilot, flying his own jet on book tours. You may see his tour schedule and learn more about the author on his website.

More about Stuart Woods...
New York Dead (Stone Barrington, #1) Blood Orchid (Holly Barker #3) Orchid Beach (Holly Barker, #1) L.A. Dead (Stone Barrington, #6) Lucid Intervals (Stone Barrington, #18)