Start by marking “Imperfect Strangers” as Want to Read:
Imperfect Strangers

Imperfect Strangers

3.78  ·  Rating Details ·  1,545 Ratings  ·  58 Reviews
Sandy Kinsolving is on a flight from London to New York, not knowing what awaits him. His father in law, also his boss, has had a massive stroke, and Sandy has no way of knowing if the old man’s promises of a partnership in the family business have made it into his will. He does know that if his wife, Joan, has anything to say about it, he’ll be out on the street.

At this v
Published January 1st 1995 by HarperCollins Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Imperfect Strangers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Imperfect Strangers

Gretchen
Imperfect Strangers is a spin on the classic Strangers on a Train. Always enjoy Stuart Woods although this is not one of his Stone Barrington series. His characters feel like comfortable shoes even though one would like to shake some sense into th me. I do like how Stuart Woods' male characters have such good relations with their sons. Enjoy the adventures of Sandy and Cara as they maneuver to stay alive.
John
Jun 22, 2009 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This started out with a lot of promise. It seemed to sputter at the end. The premise was an outstanding one. Two unhappily married men agree to kill each others spouses. One of the two is a bit unbalanced. The tension just didn't sustain itself the entire book.
Linda
May 18, 2017 Linda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was one of his earlier books and it was okay but he as gotten so much better as the years went on
Amy
Mar 28, 2012 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Trolling through the library, without my Goodreads "to-read" list... looking for somthing to excite me beyond my less-than-exciting pile of books to-be-read in the guest bedroom.... I found a section of books by this author. Scrolling through his books, I was hoping for #1 of a series, I ended up with this book (#1 of a series wasn't on the shelf).

I don't think any book could have less developed characters than this book. Flat. Flatter than flat. Negative flat. :)
That being said, the plot is sem
Will
Jun 09, 2013 Will rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sandy Kinsolving's journey to rapture. Set away in a family business, Sandy meets a stranger on a London to NYC flight who intimates similar problems with the woman he's married to. In their deal with the devil, each man agrees to murder the other's wife. Confronted with a vicious divorce notice, Sandy has only mixed feelings as his wife is dispatched. By subcontracting the murder, the police investigation is thwarted, although they suspect Sandy is behind it. Forced to uphold his end of the bar ...more
Shelley
Oct 21, 2011 Shelley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a new twist on an old classic, "Strangers on a Train". The premise and the characters were all really good for me up until the end where it petered out a bit, pun intended as the bad guy is named Peter. Lackluster and predictable ending aside, I still quite enjoyed the story. I found it to be much better than the first Woods book I read, so it will be interesting to see what the future ones hold. My friend's dad is a huge fan and passes all his books along to me when he's through so I h ...more
LJ
IMPERFECT STRANGERS - Okay
Woods, Stuart - Standalone

On a flight home from London to New York, Sandy Kingsolving strikes up a conversation with a stranger who will change his life forever. Proposing to perfect Hitchcock's plan from Strangers on a Train and thereby solve Sandy's marital problems, the stranger offers him a glistening new future as well as an unstoppable nightmare.

There was some good suspense but I couldn't get involved with the main character.
Steve
Jun 02, 2015 Steve rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
6-2-2015 It appears this is the one Stuart Woods I haven't read. I will do so now.
I just put a one star to be able to start a review.
I started reading it and after the first chapter, it was obvious I knew the plot and the characters.
I went to the end of the book to refresh my memory but this is a book I liked to read ONCE but not one of the Stone B's I can re-read every few years.

It is a classic murder mystery plot with a twist.
Brent
Dec 08, 2012 Brent rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sandy, the novels main protagonist, enters a high stakes contest when he agrees to swap wife murder's with a stranger he meets on the plane. Despite his change of heart at the last minute, the story unfolds as he navigates the twists and turns. Complicated by a new love, Sandy is left to maintain his own innocence in the eyes of the law while continually avoiding danger imposed by this imperfect stranger.

I read this in one day on an airplane. Pretty easy read, not bad.
Lynda
May 30, 2013 Lynda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
To commit the perfect murders, you need to take into account all the possibilities for failure including people changing their minds and to have contingencies in place. The story was interesting, however; my satisfaction with the book was spotty. There were a few grammar issues that required me to reread the sentence to be sure I read it correctly.
Coleen
Sep 13, 2015 Coleen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Being a Woods fan, I found this book from his past at a book sale, and bought it! Excellent story. Better than the Stone Barrington series (which this book is not one of) and has a more in-depth plot. I enjoyed the book from start to finish and read it in record time.

I passed the book to another reader who was anxious to read it.
Carol Waters
Two strangers meet on a plan, drink too much, and agree to kill each other's wives. Woods freely admits he stole from Hitchcock, but it was a poor copy. The characters are actually caricatures, shallow, undeveloped, and unlikeable. There was nobody in this mess that was remotely developed as a character, the writing was flat, and the ending predictible.
Jeanne
Aug 18, 2014 Jeanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Imperfect Strangers is a what happens to Sandy Kinsolving when he makes a pact with a stranger. A lot of things could be gone in a flash if plans change or do not. Take for instance, a large inheritance, a person's future, marriage problems, security, wealth, freedom and normal life could end with this madman who stalks him. A good story. Good ending!
Jennifer Heine
Mar 26, 2015 Jennifer Heine rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I just couldn't get past the chance meeting of two people wanting to reenact Strangers on a Train, and then shortly thereafter a chance meeting with one the victim? I kept waiting for a great ending twist in which the main character was being set up all along for something (I don't know what. I was hoping the author had a good twist ahead.) since the main character wasn't very endearing.
Dave Wine
Apr 23, 2013 Dave Wine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book and its twists and turns. Woods is an excellent writer but goes off on his wine and food tangents sometimes. Story was easy to read and the outcome was different than I had anticipated.
Lori
Jul 11, 2009 Lori rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009july
I'd never read this early Stuart Woods, and it was a lovely (if ridiculous) find for my summer trip.

Two strangers meet on a plane (after watching Strangers on a Train) and decide each will off the other's wife. Mayhem ensues.

Cheese-filled and lots of fun, even without Stone Barrington.
Kathryn
Oct 05, 2011 Kathryn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great used book sale find and the third Stuart Woods book I have read, this one a stand-alone book. It took me a while longer to get involved with the story, but once I was into it, I wanted to keep reading and enjoyed it.
Phil Hait
Imperfect Strangers is a very good read. It is not one of Stuart Woods continuing character books. It is a clear stand alone with interesting characters & situations. At times the plot becomes taut & suspenseful. This is a very quick read & quite enjoyable.
John
Oct 01, 2011 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: woods, overdrive
Surprise Novel

Not the usual Woods stuff, but every few novels he does get off a real good one. A one off, but you will get a tour of the wine world. Kudos, Woods, great research.
Patty
Apr 17, 2011 Patty rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The first book I read of his. Loved it.
Michele Kersten-Hart
This book had an interesting twist and a plot that kept you turning pages. Loved it.
Penny
Feb 01, 2009 Penny rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: woods-stuart
I really liked the plot and the suspense but Woods is just grinding out books and yet again he is not helped at all by the poor quality of the editting.
Peggy W
Jun 03, 2013 Peggy W rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good bok
Conrad
Jan 30, 2010 Conrad rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I do not think I will be reading any more of Mr. Woods work. The way he works the plot formula does not create enough interest nor tension for me.
Jim Moffett
Sep 04, 2013 Jim Moffett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
06-06
Phillip III
Dec 15, 2015 Phillip III rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this a long time ago. Long before Goodreads. And wanted to add it to my "Read" collection. Best I recall -- Loved it!
Cheryl
Sep 18, 2014 Cheryl rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Predictable
Kfalco
Jun 18, 2008 Kfalco rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

One of my favorite books!!
Matt
Sep 13, 2010 Matt rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Unbelievably stupid book. Great plot premise, lots of potential. Just so so dumb.
Margaret
Mar 28, 2011 Margaret rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first Stuart Woods book I read. It hooked me! I've read so many of his books, I can't even remember which ones they are.
Imperfect Strangers 1 8 Oct 05, 2009 08:36AM
  • Chain of Evidence
  • Fallen Idols
  • Counterplay (Butch Karp, #18)
  • Criminal Justice
  • The Crazy Game
  • Wings of Refuge
  • The Callsign (Pike Logan, #2.5)
  • Nightscape
  • Half Of Paradise
  • Pulse
  • Romeo
  • A Certain Justice (Abe Glitsky, #1)
  • Conspiracy (Deep Black, #6)
  • Voyage of the Devilfish
  • The Guest List
  • Burnt Bones  (Special X, #7)
  • Sea Glass Winter (Shelter Bay #5)
  • Sunset Bridge (Happiness Key, #3)
Stuart Woods is the author the New York Times-bestselling Stone Barrington series and Holly Barker series. He is an avid private pilot, flying his own jet on book tours. You may see his tour schedule and learn more about the author on his website.

More about Stuart Woods...