Start by marking “Dark Space: Sentinents of Orion Volume 1 SC” as Want to Read:
Dark Space: Sentinents of Orion Volume 1 SC

Dark Space: Sentinents of Orion Volume 1 SC (Sentients of Orion #1)

3.37  ·  Rating Details  ·  257 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
While drifting in space, lost, due to navigational failure, a mineral scout discovers God. When word gets out, academics from the studiums across Orion scramble to gain the Entity's favor. However, not all the sentients of Orion hold this 'god' in awe - some are deeply suspicious. Onto the grand stage of inter-stellar politics, intellectual conceit, and dubious theology wa ...more
Published January 10th 2010 by Night Shade Books (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Dark Space, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Space

new_user
Oct 29, 2011 new_user rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi
Scifi survivalist flick meets Crash. Dark Space by Marianne de Pierres engages the reader on so many levels: multiple viewpoints, nonlinear narrative, mysteries, moral dilemmas, brutality, racism, sexism.

Any sort of synopsis will give away too much. Know that I was never bored, possibly because every scene moved the narrative forward and the dialogue to exposition ratio was high. Pierres expects her readers to glean cues from context. She borrows Italian words, invents futuristic by-words, and
Leonie
Aug 18, 2014 Leonie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book forms part of my contribution to the Australian Women Writers Challenge 2014.

When I began reading this book, I wondered if I'd like it, because it wasn't what I'd expected. It did get off to a slow start for me, but after a little while reading, I became intrigued by the characters and the story, and looked for any opportunity to continue to read further into the story.

The book is written from several perspectives, and slowly and steadily the separate story lines converge. The major ch
Y.I. Washington
Jun 10, 2011 Y.I. Washington rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was blown away by this book. Great Space Opera, with amazing multi-dimensional characters, and description so vivid you actually feel like you're in the midst of the story. I've read this book twice!
Matt
Mar 18, 2013 Matt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Starts off a little like one of the good Science-Fiction novels, and then gets even better as de Pierres adds her interesting and engaging characters into the mix. Once you start, you're hooked, and you're on a ride with four of the best (and award-winning) novels around! A wonderful four-act story, very engaging.
I read these after the Ixion trilogy and was surprised to see some elements from that trilogy in this series (I can't say without spoiling one story or the other).
Plenty of room to con
Helen Merrick
Feb 04, 2011 Helen Merrick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So having received Transformation Space for christmas (its a tradition - all the Marianne de Pierres books i have were presents from hubby :-)) I have been putting off reading it. Why? Because I wanted to do it right, and go back and start the whole series again so it is fresh in my mind. I've read each one the instant they came out, and its so easy to lose the connections, to remember the history and relations of all the characters. So the great re-read begins today.
Will I get through the firs
Philip Hollenback
Oct 07, 2015 Philip Hollenback rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned, sci-fi
Well this was a bunch of boring writing. Also, basically no science fiction. Why did I even put this on my to-read list? I'm baffled. Gave up after 100 pages.
A.B.
Oct 03, 2014 A.B. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
This book was not what I expected. When a book is called Dark space, I expect it to spend more time in space. That, while being a middling annoyance was overlooked easily enough.

The prologue-like beginning is strange, and the bits and pieces of… thoughts (maybe?) from Sol’s perspective are weird, but after the backstory of how the “sentient” species came to host a god in their corner of the universe is over, the plot moves along at a wonderful clip. And the events themselves are extremely inter
Mardel
Mar 24, 2011 Mardel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The first time I ever heard of Marianne De Pierres was when I picked up this totally bad-ass looking book called Nylon Angel. It was a kind of cyperpunk/sci-fi/urban fantasy mix. I guess that's why she's considered a speculative fiction writer. After reading Nylon Angel, I searched high and low for the other two of the series (Parrish Plessis series) Code Noir, and Crash Deluxe. Hell of a trilogy. One I kept thinking about long after reading.

After reading works from two separate series, and taki
James
Before I review this I have to admit to a simple fact; now that I am in university most of my reading time is now taken up by non-fiction literature, so as a result I am being extra harsh on books and (hopefully) only reading the best.

That said, this book was way too sporadic in its characters for me. I don't know how best to describe it, except to say that the author didn't spend enough time with a single character in one go for an emotional connection to be be formed. That coupled with the wa
Mike
Jul 21, 2012 Mike rated it did not like it
To start with I haven't finished the book. I was only able to make it a third of the way through before I simply couldn't pick it up anymore. This is one of the most awful things that I have ever attempted to read.

The story at the start is a high class girl has a gene to fly some sort of biological space ship, but since she is not male it would be (I guess) extracted from her and given to some one else. She said it might, or maybe will, turn her mad and runs away. The person she wants to give it
Mark Webb
Feb 02, 2013 Mark Webb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: aww2013
This review forms part of my contribution to theAustralian Women Writers 2013 Reading Challenge. All my 2013 AWWC reviews can be foundhere.

Dark Space is the first of the Sentients of Orion series by Marianne de Pierres. The storyline primarily follows three characters - Baronessa Mira Fedor, a member of the planet Araldis' aristocracy and born with a genetic makeup that allows her to interact directly with living spaceships, Trinder Pellegrini the spoiled son of Araldis' planetary ruler and Tekt
Tal
While drifting in space, lost due to navigational failure, a mineral scout discovers God. When word gets out, academics from the studiums across Orion scramble to gain the Entity’s favor. However, not all the sentients of Orion hold this "god" in awe—some, like the philosophers of Scolar and the Transhumans of Extropy are deeply suspicious. Onto the grand stage of interplanetary academic politics, intellectual conceit, and dubious theology walks Baronessa Mira Fedor. Her planet has been torn apa ...more
Frank
One of the easier reviews to write because I could... not... get... it... it. This has happened in the past and I tend to blame the reader, not the author. Mainly because I can't be specific about what didn't work; it was just... boring. I did have high expectations (non-US author, hard sci-fi with a strong female character, etc.) and maybe that caused the lack of interest in the book. The (sad) high point is that I finished it instead of giving up.
There is one specific thing I can point to that
Jay
There's a line when it comes to sci-fi where it becomes too difficult for me to read. This book just tiptoes over that line. I had to really struggle to read it, which is a pity as I really liked Marianne de Pierres' Parrish Plessis series. I could get into it when the sci-fi was light, but then it would cut to Jo-Jo and Tekton and the biozoons and my head would spin and I'd have to put it down and take a breather.

So, good idea, but too hard for me to really follow.
Elijs Dima
May 26, 2012 Elijs Dima rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Do not expect Sci-Fi here.
Beyond the setpiece draping of 'generic space future', this is a romance novel seemingly aimed at young-adult demographic (whatever that actually is).
The chapters, events, characters all seem and read as if they were transcripts of a south-american telenovella.
The prose is somewhat stunted as well, throwing yet more curveballs at the reading experience.

If you want to read character-driven Sci-Fi.. Well, no, this is not worth it. If you want to read a romance novel.. Id
Tressa
Dec 31, 2014 Tressa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Dark Space had fascinating societal structures. I am curious as to what will happen next and how the characters will further develop.
Keke
Nov 04, 2014 Keke rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fuck Trin
Emma Goss
Definitely different to the other Space Operas I have read. Confusing for about half the book due to naming of things, everything is unfamiliar and has a uniquely original name. The gender differences (societies 'classing' of males, females, family status and alien/ginko) within the story-line maintained a low level of anger within me as I read this novel. Despite everything I did like it enough to continue reading the series. It may improve.
Allan
Oct 29, 2007 Allan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Good science-fiction tale with several story threads to keep things interesting.

Good, gritty political backstabbing and planetary invasion stuff while the antics of Tekton and JJ are verging on the hilarious.

A good start to the series that leaves you wanting to find out what happens next. I'll definitely be picking up the next one.
Louise
Rather a depressing book - with planetary invasions, skullduggery and double-crossing, rape, massacre, and a God-entity that makes meaningless comments between chapters. I found the characters to be rather shallow, and although this is the first of a trilogy, I am not inspired to read the next two to see if this changes.
Jaine Fenn
Dec 23, 2014 Jaine Fenn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the best space operas I've read in a while; combines the sense of adventure and big-picture plotting I look for in my SF with confident and original world-building and interesting characters. I've already started on the next one in the series.
Jean
May 17, 2012 Jean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book but was confused about how she would bring the characters together. Once you finish Dark Space you want to keep reading the series to find out what happens and how the characters come together.
Derek
May 28, 2013 Derek rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
I actually thought of giving up on this one, but things really pick up in the second half of the book. I hope the rest of the series continues in this direction.
Anderdith
May 25, 2013 Anderdith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good plot en strong characters.
I really enjoyed it.
At the beginning you have to adapt to her style of writing but after that it's a page turner.
Meredith
Very atmospheric. Intriguing characters and plots. A little dark at times, which I enjoyed. I'll have to pick up the next book soon.
Rivqa
Aug 03, 2015 Rivqa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pacey, clever space opera with great characters. Looking forward to the rest of the trilogy.
Andrew P Burrus
Andrew P Burrus marked it as to-read
May 26, 2016
Bart
Bart marked it as to-read
May 24, 2016
Jan Willem
Jan Willem marked it as to-read
May 18, 2016
Emma-Louise
Emma-Louise marked it as to-read
May 14, 2016
  • Saturn Returns (Astropolis, #1)
  • Deadstock
  • Bitter Angels
  • Power and Majesty (Creature Court, #1)
  • Stealing Light (The Shoal Sequence, #1)
  • The Courier's New Bicycle
  • Prophets (Apotheosis, #1)
  • Necropath (Bengal Station, #1)
  • The Children
  • Hell to Heaven (Journey to Wudang #2)
  • Am I Black Enough For You?
  • Night's Engines (The Nightbound Land, #2)
  • The Silver Ship and the Sea (The Silver Ship, #1)
  • Debris (The Veiled Worlds, #1)
  • Sharp Shooter (Tara Sharp, #1)
  • The Alphabet of Light and Dark
  • Peacekeeper (Major Ariane Kedros, #1)
  • Steal Across the Sky
Marianne de Pierres is the award winning author of the acclaimed Parrish Plessis,Sentients of Orion and Peacemaker science fiction series. Marianne is an active supporter of genre fiction and has mentored many writers. She lives in Brisbane, Australia, with her husband and three galahs. Her Night Creatures series, Burn Bright, Angel Arias and Shine Light has been very popular among young adult fic ...more
More about Marianne de Pierres...

Sentients of Orion (4 books)
  • Chaos Space (Sentients of Orion, #2)
  • Mirror Space (Sentients of Orion, #3)
  • Transformation Space (Sentients of Orion, #4)