Start by marking “L'infinito: Breve guida ai confini dello spazio e del tempo” as Want to Read:
L'infinito: Breve guida ai confini dello spazio e del tempo

L'infinito: Breve guida ai confini dello spazio e del tempo

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  463 ratings  ·  35 reviews
L'infinito è sicuramente la più strana idea che gli umani abbiano mai concepito, un enigma che assilla la nostra specie dalla notte dei tempi senza trovare una soluzione definitiva. Come può essere infatti che, sottoposto a qualsiasi operazione matematica, l'infinito non cambia e resta infinito? C'è un infinito o ce ne sono molti? E, se ce ne sono molti, può un infinito es...more
Paperback, Varia, 300 pages
Published 2005 by Mondadori

To ask other readers questions about L'infinito, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about L'infinito

Mayank
Well, the good thing is, I managed to finish this book in a finite amount of time. At one point it looked unlikely.

Its not a bad book at all (in fact its quite good), but its a book written by a mathematician, with the assumption that mortals readily understand the meaning of words like 'topology' and 'singularity'. The only places where the book loses its grip is where the author succumbs to this trap.

Having got that out of the way, there are a number of things I liked about this book. First an...more
Adam Boudreau
As I started studying Calculus more and more it made me a lot more curious about the nature of infinity. We take these limits of functions to get the derivation process, we look at area with integration by summing infinitely small pieces under a curve, and then we look at the divergence and convergence of a series with limits to see what these things do at infinity. Then, to top it off, I had my mind further blown by discussing infinite dimensions in Linear Algebra. Needless to say, I had infini...more
Benjamin Wallsten
Review taken from my blog,The Virtuosos.

Infinity. What is it? What is it not? Why should anyone care about something so intangible?

For many people. infinity is just a word that they’ve been taught means, “without bound; forever; bigger than anything; beyond comprehension.” It’s usually associated with mathematics, especially math of a “higher order,” like Calculus. And it seems intuitively familiar despite an utter lack of understanding for the most part.

Barrow takes the everyday view of infinit...more
Nicholas
The first half of the book concerns the evolution of mathematical theories underpining the ideas in the second half which considers the implications to the physical universe,and the possibilities that may arise.
The text is subdivided and illustrated in an abundant manner,which makes for fairly easy going and it reminded me of "Fermat's Last Theorem" or "A Brief History of Time" in its assumption of the intellect of its readership.Things did start to get mathematically taxing when he was discus...more
Camilla
This book was really interesting: a discussion about ideas about infinity - history, paradoxes, implications, conditions of... It's a concept I took for granted. If space weren't infinite, then what would be on the other side, where it ends? Where would numbers end? Where would time end?

Most of the book is written for the layman with a basic knowledge of mathematics and some in the principles of physics. But the beginning rehashes some of this, so even if your knowledge were rudimentary you'd ge...more
Jeff
John Barrow a professor of applied mathematics has written a fascinating, but rather meandering exploration of infinity. Particularly the concept of infinity in three flavors sheds light on the development of thinking about infinity. He suggests that there are three types of infinity: mathematical infinity, physical infinity, and absolute transcendental infinity. Mathematical infinity is the concept associated with concepts in mathematics. Physical infinity is the infinity found in nature like t...more
Fnava
Relaxed and brief review of commonplace topics around the concept of inifinity, including references to the usual suspects in infinity-land: Cantor, Gödel, Turing, Einstein, and a bunch of greek philosophers.

Infinity is sometimes just an excuse to talk of other topics, mainly cosmology. A litle too much wandering around philosophical and religious issues for my taste, but nevertheless very interesting for the historical perspective. I´ve enjoyed the worthy notes and references.

Very advisable lec...more
Sayantan
The first few chapters cover the philosophies of antiquity about infinity (Aristotlean, Christian etc.), so they are a bit boring and feels irrelevant. But their inclusion is justified by the fact that the author wants to include the development of ideas about infinity from the very beginning.

Then things start to pick up. The author covers a vast range of topics related to infinity: paradoxes, Cantor's set theory, and the (in)finitude of the universe.

But the best part of the book is some of the...more
Gnuvolante
Affronta il tema più grande e complesso del tutto, l'infinito. Un saggio di filosofia, arricchito in alcune parti da teorie sui numeri.

Dalle concezioni e dalle idee dei filosofi dell'antichità sull'infinito il testo esamina la rivoluzione matematica ed il suo apice nelle teorie di Cantor, approfondendo la guerra fredda che i matematici hanno combattuto tra loro riguardo l'introduzione degli infiniti nella matematica.

Non mancano interi capitoli dedicati a teorie numeriche, teorie visionarie sull'...more
Steven Williams
I found the book fantastic. Very well presented. Held my attention from beginning to end. I read it in three days. Once again Barrow came up with a keeper.
Chelsea Ursaner
I enjoyed this book a lot more than I thought I would given that it has no story or characters. It is, exactly as it says it is, an exploration of the concept of infinity as it has been explored in philosophy, mathematics, literature, religion etc over the years. It’s very well organized and I liked the pictures and thought experiments. Plus you get a bunch of mini introductions to famous minds that have worked on the puzzle of infinity. However, he also goes too far out sometimes and lost my at...more
Voss
Argomento affascianante ma ostico.
Abbastanza semplice e comprensibile la scrittura.
Ci sono punti che proprio non capisco, ma complessivamente è molto ben scritto.
Anish
Popular form of Math book.
David Joseph
That this is the most easily accessible account of the "Universe of Discourse" can be easily argued and easily demonstrated and infinitely so.

It is elegant and artful.

You don't need to know any math at all to deeply appreciate the ideas that are explicated. A person just needs to have a working knowledge of plain English.

This is written at about, oh, Flesch–Kincaid Grade Level 8?

This is just a fine example of a little sumpin' for everybody.

Killer good!

Marc94
This book was pretty good, though a little repetitive at first. However, it made me realise how much more there is to infinities and it's really hard to truly grasp what infinity is. There are even different levels of infinities! The book later goes on to even examine whether or not we are in a computer simulation, topics on immortality, and finally time travel. I recommend this book to those that are curious about what could be out there.
Trever
Really like the book, great history and anthology of infinity.

I could have done without all of the philosophy and astronomy, I was looking for more of a mathematical book. Great book in all.
AJ
A fun little exercise in the history and applications of infinity. Unfortunately, this book suffers from what I expect is the same in all layman guides to high-level mathematics, cosmology and astrophysics: any simplifications of these topics will leave more questions unless you take it all the way.

Regardless, it certainly was an enjoyable and accessible read.
Mbuso Yende
Man has not seen God's eye-view on the concept of infinity, we can only approach it from one side, but here is a thought: if we have to traverse in opposite directions beginning at the same point, aren't we approaching infinity from both sides?...just a thought...the book has many thought-provoking ideas and concepts - a definite recommendation!
Evan Donovan
Apr 06, 2007 Evan Donovan rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: readers of popular science/math books
Shelves: recent-reads
Not as engaging as I'd hoped. The writing is surprisingly bad in some places. I have a feeling the author was rushing when he wrote it. I did learn some interesting things from it, I just wish that they'd been presented better and that the book was better organized.
mayfly wake
very ambitious in scope, so much that it seemed a bit scattered. i still enjoyed it though, definitely gave me a lot to think about and some lucid explanations of things that i haven't understood from other sources.
AJ Ostrow
If you enjoy abstract theorizing about mathematical concepts and relating them to the human experience in analogies, or just enjoy mathematical theories and the history behind them, this book is for you. I liked it.
Peter
Jul 13, 2007 Peter rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All
Brilliant look at the concept of "infinity". Heady, no? The "big" infinity is nothing new, but it's the "little" infinity that blows my mind; how do you keep making smaller and smaller breaks in something? Whoa.
Xanthippe
Took me a while, as it was quite maths-intensive in spots, but very well worth the read indeed. One of my favourite non-fiction works. Mr Barrow's prose can be enchanting; he ought to try his hand at fiction.
I
Fascinating book about Infinity. Though starts with mathematical concepts yet is filled with lot of philosophy. Also deals with physical infinity. All in all, deeply philosophical.
Bryan Higgs
I had expectations for this book, but for some reason I came away disappointed.
I'm not really sure why. Somehow, I was expecting more.

Mildly recommended.
Tekes Kochteeyni
This is a really difficult read through a fascinating subject: the infinite. Spend some time with this one and think big thoughts about a big topic. Very well written.
Andrew
I got through about half of this book and couldn't take any more. It is so badly edited that it just wasn't really readable.
Travis
This book is awesome! It's all about infinity (of course) and is easy to understand but also very thoughtful.
Lisa
An interesting exploration of infinity, however the author goes off on many tangents.
Hugh Evans
Too long in parts but otherwise illuminating, enjoyable and referencing normal life.
  • An Imaginary Tale: The Story of the Square Root of Minus One
  • e: the Story of a Number
  • The Mathematical Universe: An Alphabetical Journey Through the Great Proofs, Problems, and Personalities
  • Unknown Quantity: A Real and Imaginary History of Algebra
  • The Nothing That Is: A Natural History of Zero
  • The Mathematical Experience
  • Mathematics: The Loss of Certainty
  • The Music of the Primes: Searching to Solve the Greatest Mystery in Mathematics
  • A History of Pi
  • The Math Book: From Pythagoras to the 57th Dimension, 250 Milestones in the History of Mathematics
  • The Princeton Companion to Mathematics
  • The Equation That Couldn't Be Solved: How Mathematical Genius Discovered the Language of Symmetry
  • Nature's Numbers: The Unreal Reality Of Mathematics
  • One, Two, Three...Infinity: Facts and Speculations of Science
  • The Great Equations: Breakthroughs in Science from Pythagoras to Heisenberg
  • A Mathematician's Apology
  • Number: The Language of Science
  • The Colossal Book of Mathematics
72043
John D. Barrow is a professor of mathematical sciences and director of the Millennium Mathematics Project at Cambridge University and a Fellow of the Royal Society. He lives in Cambridge, UK.
More about John D. Barrow...
The Book of Nothing: Vacuums, Voids, and the Latest Ideas about the Origins of the Universe The Constants of Nature: The Numbers That Encode the Deepest Secrets of the Universe Impossibility: The Limits of Science and the Science of Limits PI in the Sky: Counting, Thinking, and Being 100 Essential Things You Didn't Know You Didn't Know