Start by marking “Basic Teachings of the Great Philosophers” as Want to Read:
Basic Teachings of the Great Philosophers

Basic Teachings of the Great Philosophers

3.67  ·  Rating Details  ·  186 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
A complete summary of the views of the most important philosophers in Western civilization. Each major field of philosophic inquiry comprises a separate chapter for greater accessibility. Includes Plato, Descartes, Spinoza, Kant, Hegel, Dewey, Sartre, and many others.
Published September 1st 1962 by Anchor (first published 1385)

To ask other readers questions about Basic Teachings of the Great Philosophers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Basic Teachings of the Great Philosophers

Matt
May 06, 2013 Matt rated it it was amazing
This was absolutely the best book you can possibly read if you are a beginner Philosopher, or were like me and taking a Philosophy class in College.

I knew of only names of Philosophers, and by the end of this book I knew their souls, or what made up the soul that translated life into words. Each of them making light of the greatest questions ever asked, and each with different "answers". Not only did they answer questions, but they took everything and formed a concise thought that explained eve
Raymond
May 19, 2009 Raymond rated it really liked it
This book is a synopsis of the more important philosphers in Western Civilization. As a synopsis it seems unbiased as it presents the major views of each philospher. I'd have to read all the philosopy works to categorically state that S.F. Frost Jr. has achieved that balance.

What have I learned? That Man is basically as he was from the beginning, only more sophisticatingly so. He still struggles with the ideas of Good & Evil, Fate and Free Will and what his place in the general scheme of exi
Jarrett Zongora
Definitely a good book to read if you want a review on the Philosophers and their teachings. It's also excellent for those who are beginners or simply getting interested in the topic.
Geoff Ball
This is a decent book that covers a wide range of philosophers. It is written where each chapter discusses a different question, and therefore is not dependant on previous chapters. There is some repetition between chapters, which can be expected.

The problem was all the repetition within paragraphs — the same sentence written three different ways. It became a distraction.

Overall, it is a decent book to outline general principles and arguments each philosopher defended, and it even provides what
Robin
Oct 20, 2010 Robin rated it liked it
All the great philosophers in the world and they all had differing opinions on the fundamental laws of philosophy. Every one seemed to leave off and another philosopher would elucidate more on his findings. At times it was a harrowing read, since I had to go back to get the jist of the matter. Philosophy is not an easy read. You have to engage all of your mind to what they are trying to say.
Nick Smith
Aug 05, 2012 Nick Smith rated it really liked it
This book takes several key questions which are very important, and answers them in terms of what major philosophers or philosophical schools took as their positions chronologically from ancient Greece to the present day. Many of the broad areas outlined here are taken up by a plethora of philosophers/schools and not every thinker is represented each time. I loved this book and recommend it.
Stevie
It was a good overview of the different topics within philosophy and the major philosopher's views on those topics

Poignant Quotes:

Kant - Always act in such a way that the maxim determining your conduct might well become a universal law; act so that you can will that everybody shall follow the principle of your action.
Erin
Jun 16, 2009 Erin rated it liked it
At the time, I loved it. It was my first intro to philosophy. Not sure what I would think about it now. Probably a little simplistic but a good overview on very specific subjects. At the time, I remember, it was my favorite book because all these ideas were so new and interesting.
Jessica Lowery
Jun 29, 2013 Jessica Lowery rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A nicely ordered overview for non-experts such as myself which simplifies and presents philosophic teachings arranged by theme. An expert may find it too basic, but it's great for a lay-person who just wants to brush up a bit or get a broad understanding.
Martha Wilkins
Dec 11, 2011 Martha Wilkins rated it liked it
A good read for someone who wants get acquainted with philosophy and who wants to familiarize themselves with important philosophers and a few of their philosophies.
Thamrong
A good travelling handbook of philosophy but you find it difficult if you have not read Bertrand Russell 'History of Western Philosophy' cover to cover.
Stephanie
Mar 02, 2011 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
I can only handle a certain amount of philosophical ideas in a week...I've been reading this book on and off for about two years now.
Jimmy
Aug 05, 2010 Jimmy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: philosophy
It was this book that first started me on my love of philosophy in college. I still have the same copy and I always read it.
Robert Sanders
Jan 22, 2008 Robert Sanders rated it really liked it
Shelves:
A complete summary of the views of the most important philosophers since the beginning of Western civilization.
Alireza
May 05, 2010 Alireza rated it liked it
Shelves: philosophy, english
The last chapter on recent philosophy wasn't good at all; it was over-summarized. The rest was satisfactory.
Steve Carroll jr
Jan 14, 2013 Steve Carroll jr rated it it was ok
It was ok for what it was, a basic intro or review of key philosophers.
Ehsan
Feb 08, 2009 Ehsan is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
به نظرم کتاب خوبی است برای شروع اما بهترین نیست!
Moses Allen
Jan 24, 2008 Moses Allen rated it it was amazing
excellent reference book for light philosophers
Luzby Joel
la gran filosofia
Jonathan
Nov 21, 2009 Jonathan added it
Shelves: sports
None
Joyce
Joyce marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2016
Murtadha
Murtadha marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2016
Zhanay Alyssa
Zhanay Alyssa marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2016
Jay Kenyon
Jay Kenyon rated it really liked it
Apr 11, 2016
Azam Lashkari
Azam Lashkari marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2016
Clarence Davis
Clarence Davis is currently reading it
Mar 27, 2016
Cynthia Hughes
Cynthia Hughes is currently reading it
Mar 21, 2016
Austin
Austin is currently reading it
Mar 19, 2016
Goodreads Librari...: ISBN 038503007X (ISBN13 9780385030076) 2 20 Jan 13, 2012 10:19PM
  • Ten Philosophical Mistakes
  • It Ain't Necessarily So: The Dream of the Human Genome and Other Illusions
  • Bad Medicine: Doctors Doing Harm Since Hippocrates
  • The Crucible of Creation: The Burgess Shale and the Rise of Animals
  • Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy for Depression: A New Approach to Preventing Relapse
  • Documents of the Christian Church