Basic Teachings of the Great Philosophers

Basic Teachings of the Great Philosophers

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  111 ratings  ·  19 reviews
A complete summary of the views of the most important philosophers in Western civilization. Each major field of philosophic inquiry comprises a separate chapter for greater accessibility. Includes Plato, Descartes, Spinoza, Kant, Hegel, Dewey, Sartre, and many others.
Published September 1st 1962 by Anchor (first published 1942)

Matt
This was absolutely the best book you can possibly read if you are a beginner Philosopher, or were like me and taking a Philosophy class in College.

I knew of only names of Philosophers, and by the end of this book I knew their souls, or what made up the soul that translated life into words. Each of them making light of the greatest questions ever asked, and each with different "answers". Not only did they answer questions, but they took everything and formed a concise thought that explained eve...more
Raymond
This book is a synopsis of the more important philosphers in Western Civilization. As a synopsis it seems unbiased as it presents the major views of each philospher. I'd have to read all the philosopy works to categorically state that S.F. Frost Jr. has achieved that balance.

What have I learned? That Man is basically as he was from the beginning, only more sophisticatingly so. He still struggles with the ideas of Good & Evil, Fate and Free Will and what his place in the general scheme of exi...more
Jarrett Zongora
Definitely a good book to read if you want a review on the Philosophers and their teachings. It's also excellent for those who are beginners or simply getting interested in the topic.
Geoff Ball
This is a decent book that covers a wide range of philosophers. It is written where each chapter discusses a different question, and therefore is not dependant on previous chapters. There is some repetition between chapters, which can be expected.

The problem was all the repetition within paragraphs — the same sentence written three different ways. It became a distraction.

Overall, it is a decent book to outline general principles and arguments each philosopher defended, and it even provides what...more
Robin
All the great philosophers in the world and they all had differing opinions on the fundamental laws of philosophy. Every one seemed to leave off and another philosopher would elucidate more on his findings. At times it was a harrowing read, since I had to go back to get the jist of the matter. Philosophy is not an easy read. You have to engage all of your mind to what they are trying to say.
Nick Smith
This book takes several key questions which are very important, and answers them in terms of what major philosophers or philosophical schools took as their positions chronologically from ancient Greece to the present day. Many of the broad areas outlined here are taken up by a plethora of philosophers/schools and not every thinker is represented each time. I loved this book and recommend it.
Stevie
It was a good overview of the different topics within philosophy and the major philosopher's views on those topics

Poignant Quotes:

Kant - Always act in such a way that the maxim determining your conduct might well become a universal law; act so that you can will that everybody shall follow the principle of your action.
Erin
At the time, I loved it. It was my first intro to philosophy. Not sure what I would think about it now. Probably a little simplistic but a good overview on very specific subjects. At the time, I remember, it was my favorite book because all these ideas were so new and interesting.
Jessica Lowery
A nicely ordered overview for non-experts such as myself which simplifies and presents philosophic teachings arranged by theme. An expert may find it too basic, but it's great for a lay-person who just wants to brush up a bit or get a broad understanding.
Martha Wilkins
A good read for someone who wants get acquainted with philosophy and who wants to familiarize themselves with important philosophers and a few of their philosophies.
Thamrong
A good travelling handbook of philosophy but you find it difficult if you have not read Bertrand Russell 'History of Western Philosophy' cover to cover.
Stephanie
I can only handle a certain amount of philosophical ideas in a week...I've been reading this book on and off for about two years now.
Jimmy
It was this book that first started me on my love of philosophy in college. I still have the same copy and I always read it.
Robert Sanders
A complete summary of the views of the most important philosophers since the beginning of Western civilization.
Alireza
The last chapter on recent philosophy wasn't good at all; it was over-summarized. The rest was satisfactory.
Steve Carroll jr
It was ok for what it was, a basic intro or review of key philosophers.
Moses Allen
excellent reference book for light philosophers
Luzby Joel
la gran filosofia
Jonathan
Nov 21, 2009 Jonathan added it
Shelves: sports
None
Cat M
Cat M marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Dianne
Dianne marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Kimberly Canono
Kimberly Canono marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Claire
Claire is currently reading it
Jun 15, 2014
Christopher Garcia
Christopher Garcia is currently reading it
Jun 14, 2014
Goodreads Librari...: ISBN 038503007X (ISBN13 9780385030076) 3 20 Jan 13, 2012 10:19PM
  • Ten Philosophical Mistakes
  • The Oxford Companion to Philosophy
  • The Norton Anthology of American Literature
  • The Story of Philosophy
  • What the Nose Knows: The Science of Scent in Everyday Life
  • Light in the Shadow of Jihad: The Struggle for Truth
  • Ministering Cross-Culturally: An Incarnational Model for Personal Relationships
  • Readings in Ancient Greek Philosophy: From Thales to Aristotle
  • Darwin's Island: The Galapagos In The Garden Of England
  • The Loss of Sadness: How Psychiatry Transformed Normal Sorrow Into Depressive Disorder
  • Decoding the Heavens: A 2,000-Year-Old Computer and the Century-Long Search to Discover Its Secrets
  • The First Fossil Hunters: Paleontology In Greek And Roman Times
  • Bible Doctrine: Essential Teachings of the Christian Faith
  • Nietzsche: A Philosophical Biography
  • Culpeper's Complete Herbal
  • Quantum: A Guide for the Perplexed
  • Self-Promotion for Introverts: The Quiet Guide to Getting Ahead
  • The Bible Promise Book - KJV
The Sacred Writings of the World's Great Religions Historical and Philosophical Foundations of Western Education Is American Radio Democratic? a Study of the American System of Radio Regulation, Control, and Operation as Related to the Democratic Way of Life with Emphasis Upon Its Educational Aspects FAV STORIES FR BIBLE Basic Teachings Of The Great Philosophers A Survey Of Their Basic Idea