7: The Mickey Mantle Novel

7: The Mickey Mantle Novel

3.28 of 5 stars 3.28  ·  rating details  ·  81 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Mickey Mantle loved sex. And getting drunk. Those are the topics of discussion as the baseball hero, now in heaven, pulls up a chair with writer Leonard Shecter. Together they rehash Mantle's life, from his X-rated bedroom exploits and his treatment of fans to his relationship with the media and his phenomenal career. Nothing is left uncovered in a story that reveals Mantl...more
Audio CD, 9 pages
Published May 1st 2007 by Phoenix Audio (first published April 30th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about 7, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 7

Kay
This is an 'X' rated book that would make a sailor blush. And you may wonder why I read it? After searching for a biography of Mickey Mantle that wasn't just stats, I came across this one in a used book store. After paying $12 for the hardback I wasn't about to put it down after reading a few chapters. So call me cheap!

To give some credit however, this book was funny and the way it was written was extremely creative. Mickey Mantle, after death and in home in Heaven, has decided he would like a '...more
carl  theaker

Found this one on the bargain rack for 99 cents, and still i paid too much!

Author Golenbock relays stories collected over the years of the athletic adventures
of Mickey Mantle and friends, be they drinking, sexual, or even occasionally on
the baseball diamond. The trouble is, he can't really verify their
authenticity, to one level or another, so he calls this an "inventive memoir"
and labels it fiction. Seems fair, at least he informs you.

The trouble is he spends a lot of this time putting wor...more
Bobbie Grob
This is a terrible book. It is nothing more than a confusingly realistic (is it fiction or non-fiction? Even the author doesn't seem certain) ode to Mickey Mantle's huge black book. I am aware that there are plenty of women out there who are eager to sleep with a celebrity so Mickey Mantle didn't necessarily do anything wrong, but his disrespect and disregard for anyone but himself, especially women, is evident in his far too frequent use of the word "puss".

As a life-long baseball fan I was loo...more
Jason
Aug 14, 2007 Jason rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Baseball Fans
Written as the oral autobiography of The Mick from a sports bar in Heaven (12 years after Mantle's death, because, let's face it, he had some purgatorial cleansing to do before his soul was heaven-worthy), this book is a fictionalized account of the Yankee legend's exploits off of the field...a great deal of sex and boozing in the book, but entertaining as hell! If The Mick and Billy Martin got away with half of the shit they're credited with in this novel, they were the Rolling Stones of baseba...more
Debra
As Opening Day approaches, the urge to read baseball books returns. Found this novel in my library's Overdrive collection, so decided to give it a try.

(later) Golenbeck did give me a picture of the Mick as a person. It held my interest...although I rated it based on the overuse of his sexual exploits. Yeah we got the idea that he was a horndog. Which isn't exactly a revelation. So page after page was just overkill, and ultimately boring.
Nicolo Yu
A fun read, I really enjoyed the parts detailing Mickey Mantle's career with the New York Yankees. But what made this different from other sports biographies is that this was writeen as a novel with Mantle narrating his story to a sports writer.
If even a third of his sex exploits here are true, I guess he'd rival Wilt Chamberlain for "scoring."
JoAnn
This book really broke the myth of Mickey. Yeah everyone knows he was a womanizer and drank a lot, but wow, this book really shows it. The book is fiction, but there's a lot of truth to it. The way he wrote it was very cool, having a sportswriter interview him while at a bar in heaven!
Brad
Interesting look at The Mick. I the structure of the novel and how he is telling it from Heaven looking back on what was and what could of been. But if I never hear the word puss again I think I will be happy. Billy Martin Rocks!!!
Dennis Madden
Too graphic and unrealistic. When did the mick have time to play baseball or according to this thesis it was not he most talented activity.
Tina
I enjoyed the baseball but the off-the-field parts left me cold. If this novel is close to the truth, Mick was a sad case.
Bryan
An enjoyable read, but the author took MANY liberties with this one.
Rebecca
WOW!!!!! You want to know who Mickey really was, then read this book!
Scott
Scott added it
Aug 24, 2014
Keith Beck
Keith Beck marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Donald Harwick
Donald Harwick marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Scott Williams
Scott Williams marked it as to-read
May 26, 2014
James Jr.
James Jr. marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Teammates Bums: An Oral History of the Brooklyn Dodgers Wrigleyville: A Magical History Tour of the Chicago Cubs Dynasty Amazin': The Miraculous History of New York's Most Beloved Baseball Team