Keane: The Autobiography

Keane: The Autobiography

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  1,111 ratings  ·  45 reviews
A publishing phenomenon in hardcover, Roy Keane's autobiography was the biggest selling sports book of the year. Now in paperback it includes a new chapter covering Keane's vindication by the FAI report, and the punishment meted out by the FA and Mick McCarthy's resignation. Brilliantly reviewed, Roy Keane's riveting, brutally honest autobiography has the potential to be o...more
Hardcover
Published August 30th 2002 by Michael Joseph

Caleb Cherrie
Why did I decide to read this book?
I decided to read this book because on the bingo board I needed to read a dairy, autobiography or biography because of this I wanted to read this book because Roy played soccer and I really enjoy this sport. Aswell as he played for Manchester United which is the team I support in the English Premier Leauge.

Which category on the bingo board this book completes?
The category that this book completes is dairy, autobiography or biography. I found this book interesti...more
George Bradford
I thoroughly enjoyed this enthralling, frank and hilarious book. Readers not familiar with British colloquialisms and English football culture may find this story difficult to follow. But readers interested in what constitutes the heart of a champion will find Keane The Autobiography both rewarding and indispensable.

Here is the story of a poor Irish footballer from Cork who was too small, too slow and so utterly lacking in fundamental skills that by age 18 he was relegated to a ‘has been’ in org...more
Paolo
A very good read - we're given alot of information about the young life of Roy Keane that established him as the footballing superstar he became. Roy is a no-nonsense type of guy on and off the pitch. He stands up for what he believes and has the ability to tell it like it is, so for me this book was refreshing. We get some great insights behind the scenes at Man United and International duty, including Roy's side of the 2002 Saipan fiasco.

Like Roy, I'm the type of person who suffers with a shor...more
Pete daPixie
Another book that came at me from a car boot sale. For me, it promised lots of inside info into the world of modern professional football. The enigmatic Mr Clough at Nottingham. The Ferguson regime at Old Trafford along with some juicy details of the famous dressing room hairdryer. Also
that World Cup upset between R.K. and Mick McCarthy.
Sure enough, this autobiography recounts Keane's career through the 1990's and published in 2002
tells of his World Cup walkout from the Republic of Ireland squad...more
Paul Wally
Its not bad, but the arrogance is over the top, its what you take away from the book and why its 2 star not 3... Yep, he has a right to be arrogant, one of the best footballers of all time... but the remarks about Sheringham, Schmeichel and even Cantona feels like petulant whining. As with many modern footballers books, it lacks event, you feel they don't really have a life outside football to live!!! Want to read a footballers book? Try Paul McGrath - Back from the Brink... Great read.
Katie Walker
Nov 25, 2007 Katie Walker rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Football Fans
A really well written book which honestly recounts Kean's life in football. I am not a fan of either Manchester United or Roy Kean, however have a strong respect for him having read the book. I'm sure there was a ghost writer involved, however you do feel that it is Roy's story in his own words. I especially liked the fact that whilst he explained he never tried to excuse, refreshingly honest!
Michael Madden
I must admit that Roy Keane is a hero of mine so I was really looking forward to reading this book. I wasn't disappointed as Roy took me on a "warts and all" journey through his childhood, his personal life and his controversial footballing career. Not at all sycophantic as many of these sports bios can be, instead this is just like Keano was on the field. What you see is what you get.
Graham
A far more simplistic writing style than Sir Alex Ferguson's book, but a good, well written book nonetheless. Keane's honesty gets to the point of almost being uncomfortable at times, but that's what makes it so good. He's not afraid to tell his story the way it is and not afraid of portraying himself in a bad light, which takes guts.
Zang Chowdhury
Like the story of the plane journeys with Irish FA being in first class and the rest of the players in economy. Its like a modern day George Orwell saga, and also the bit where dear Roy tried to operate on Alf Inge Harlaand's knees during a match at old Trafford with his studs and without anaesthetic.
Margaret
Interesting & well worth 99p at the charity shop!
Mostly it's interesting how much he was drinking and eating kebabs well into the 90s. I had assumed the Wenger revolution of special diets and no alcohol had come into play much earlier than it clearly did.
Joe
A great player & always interesting as to what he has to say for himself, particularly after the world cup saipan fiasco. Pulls no punches when criticising players, mangers or media pundits.. Good read & another must read for all soccer lovers.
Jonny Dolan
A very good read into the mind of a complicated but brilliant footballer. Being a perfectionist often got in the way of his personal relationships but it made him one of the greatest ever Manchester United players.
Kyle Lewis
Hate Manchester Unites & hate parts of Keane's personality, and things he did in his career, but he is a footballing great, in my opinion a genius; reading his autobiography was a pleasure and I was gripped!
TheDenizen
It's pretty funny hearing Keane describe the shambles of Ireland's World Cup adventure, and trying to justify hobbling Alfie Haaland, but a whole bunch of this book was very drab stuff indeed.
heidipj
Apr 16, 2007 heidipj rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
I read this book on recommendation from football head Gary in Brisbane before I even knew who Roy was. It got me interested in football. Got me really interested in Roy! He rocks!
Alex de G
Really enjoyable read - interesting to see many of these popular events from Roy's perspectives. Nice, easy reading. This is how sporting autobiographies should be written!
Moominboy
90% football talk, 10% personal stuff. Not a ground-breaking literary achievement, but it is just the thing I expected and wanted from a football biography.
Karen Scott
A must for any hardcore Manchester United supporter. I wonder if he now regrets mentioning the Alf-Inge Håland incident? A true Manchester United legend...
Jono
Great book. Reveals why he is the way he is and also that he is prepared to stand by his beliefs in the face of anything and anyone. A legend.
Jeb Buffington
One of the great Manchester United captains of all time. If you read this, be prepared for an unapologetic bad@55. There is a lot of swearing.
Pavandeep Singh
Not a bad book for fans of the football of that era, lots of details. I've not been keeping up recently, but I remember that time well.
Daniel
I would like to harken back to my happy childhood but all I seem to remember is that winter was colder and lasted forever.
Matthew
Brutal honesty from keano and recognising his own faults (temper) make this book an interesting and riveting read much enjoyed!
Steven
It was good to find out what was going on inside his head at the time of several memoral career moments
Mithun Kalaga
An amazingly honest piece by a player renowned for his straight-forward manner on and off the pitch...
Karen
Ok, Dunphy tends to use the book to launch his own opinions of the state of Irish football
Patrick
One of the great players of the last 10-15 years, and a Corkman to boot!!

Good read.
Chris Harrison
really really good...was gutted when I got to the end, no holds barred from Keano
Kulveer
Read this book in one night. I look up to Keane; he has a focus to win that is rare.
Bjorn Hardarson
When you just want to read without thinking to much its a footballers story
  • Managing My Life: My Autobiography
  • Red: My Autobiography
  • Morbo: The story of spanish football
  • Gerrard: My Autobiography
  • Brilliant Orange: The Neurotic Genius of Football
  • Soccer Against the Enemy: How the World's Most Popular Sport Starts and Fuels Revolutions and Keeps Dictators in Power
  • Provided You Don't Kiss Me: 20 Years with Brian Clough
  • Behind the Curtain: Travels in Eastern European Football
  • A Season with Verona: Travels Around Italy in Search of Illusion, National Character . . . and Goals!
  • Futebol: The Brazilian Way of Life
  • The Miracle of Castel di Sangro: A Tale of Passion and Folly in the Heart of Italy
  • Barca: A People's Passion
  • A Life Too Short: The Tragedy of Robert Enke
  • The Damned Utd
  • Calcio: A History of Italian Football
  • Boy Racer
  • Bloody Confused!: A Clueless American Sportswriter Seeks Solace in English Soccer
  • Soccer in Sun and Shadow
Roy Maurice Keane (born 10 August 1971 in Mayfield, Cork) is a retired Irish footballer and the manager of English Championship club Ipswich Town.

In a highly successful 18-year career, he played for Cobh Ramblers in the League of Ireland, Nottingham Forest and, most notably, Manchester United (both in England), before ending his career with a brief spell at Celtic in Scotland.

A dominating central-...more