Start by marking “I Am Wolf (The Children of Nox, #1)” as Want to Read:
I Am Wolf (The Children of Nox, #1)

I Am Wolf (The Children of Nox #1)

Angel, hero, monster, devil--we all become what we really are. I Am Wolf --The journey of a boy about to become a man who inherits his ancestors gift and must learn the right way to use it. He falls in love with Alaynee and begins to feel like he is normal again. When their world is shattered by the kidnapping of Alaynee's little brother, Jonah breaks the cardinal rule of ...more
Published January 12th 2012 by World Castle Publishing

To ask other readers questions about I Am Wolf, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Am Wolf

Hallowed by Cynthia HandBetween by Mary TingUnder the Never Sky by Veronica RossiCinder by Marissa MeyerIncarnate by Jodi Meadows
2012 JANUARY YA Releases
11th out of 93 books — 139 voters
Cinder by Marissa MeyerThe Selection by Kiera CassUnder the Never Sky by Veronica RossiThrone of Glass by Sarah J. MaasEverneath by Brodi Ashton
2012 Debut Authors (Young Adult & Middle Grade)
173rd out of 1,018 books — 6,439 voters

More lists with this book...

Mary Ting
Jan 02, 2012 Mary Ting rated it it was amazing
I was mesmerized in Joann’s world of wolves and I can’t tell you enough how much I enjoyed it!!! Very descriptive and beautifully written, it was poetry in motion. The story was told in different character’s points of view, the good vs evil. The good: Jonah and his friends are typical teenagers and their interactions were believable. I love how they are close and how they are bonded by their loyalty and who they are. The evil: Ralph is the evilest character I’ve read so far in any teen novels. ...more
Jacquie Talento
Jan 20, 2012 Jacquie Talento rated it it was amazing
“We all have those, the points where the line between reality and dreams blur. They still our hearts and make us all feel the warmth from within. They spark the angel within all of us and make us not only want, but need, to be better than we ever thought possible”.
Jonah has just been sent to live with his grandparents in Sister’s Oregon. He was young when he lived there before but now he is in his late teens and returning back thinking he is being punished by his parents. Jonah starts hearing a
Charlotte Blackwell
Jan 14, 2012 Charlotte Blackwell rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: wcpub
I fell in love from the first page. I Am Wolf is a phenomenal debut novel for author Joann Buchanan. She paints the most amazing pictures for her novel and you feel like someone has pick you up and put you right inside the pages.

The characters and well developed and as a reader you can relate to them. Some good lessons are shown in this book and the importance of friendship and sticking together when times get tough. Even though this is only the first book in the series we get to see the charac
Maria Wilson
Jan 22, 2012 Maria Wilson rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Maria by: Lindsay Anne Kendal
An author at the same publishing company advised me this title was being promoted for free recently. WHY?? This book was amazing and I wanted to thank the author for pointing this book out to me. You know who you are.

I could not put this book down and read it within 36 hours. I refused to talk to anyone whilst this was on my Kindle. It's been a long time since a book did this to me.

Ms Buchanan writes with love, and has an amazing imagination. Who would I recommend this book to? try EVERYONE. It
Delphina
May 17, 2012 Delphina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
There were just so many things to love about this book I do not even know where to begin. When I first read the premise, I assumed this was going to be your typical YA were book, which I enjoy. I was so wrong. This book had depth most YA novels do not even begin to touch.
Here are some of the things I really liked about this book:

*The emotional layering the other built was simply beautifully done. I really felt his journey through guilt, loss, and regret in a very authentic way.

*I think one of m
Beccie
Sep 27, 2012 Beccie rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
I was sent “I Am Wolf” for review. I really enjoyed that this was from a male perspective but it also gave me perspectives of other characters as well. The Native American legend Joann created was very enjoyable. In the beginning I judged it as another werewolf YA love story but the further I read the darker this story became and it kept me reading. Although the story is mainly about Jonah and Alaynee, I enjoyed Ollie and Dakota’s romance even more. It was quiet but I could feel the chemistry ...more
Ashley Fontainne
Jan 30, 2012 Ashley Fontainne rated it it was amazing
I am still reeling over this one! This book was so fantastic that it invaded my dreams!

Joann crafts a thrilling story, no doubt about it. I was sucked into the pages from the first chapter. Pegging this book into a particular genre is a difficult task as it could fall under so many: paranormal romance; young adult, horror. It was a delightfully intoxicating mixture of all!

The use of Native American folklore, ideals and themes of shape-shifting have never been wielded better. The undertones of f
K.B. Miller
Mar 20, 2012 K.B. Miller rated it it was amazing
5stars *****

Wow! Talk about letting a horror story wrap you up in a scary blanket!! I loved IAMWOLF!!! The market has been saturated by YA Paranormal lately, but THIS is a must read~ I love horror stories, but if the author can't begin to paint the picture that my imagination will grab, I put it down. Not a problem here! I couldn't put this book down, and PS Jonah is a HOTTIE!! I love Joann Buchanan's writing style, she gives you enough detail to get you there, but not too much where you can't
  ღ☆ღ  Brenda
Mar 23, 2012 ღ☆ღ Brenda rated it it was amazing
Holy Moly!! What a ride!! One fabulous read,this book will keep you turning the pages so fast your head will spin!I'm not kidding,it's that good!!

Hard to pick a favorite character,you fall in love them all.They are all explained so well!! But I have to say Jonah,Alynee,Cara & Jeanne were pulling at my heart strings.

Jonah has a life lesson to learn,who is he really? Why is he hearing voices in head?Is he going crazy and why have his parents sent him away to live with his grandparents? Why d
Frederick Brooke
Aug 07, 2012 Frederick Brooke rated it it was amazing
Jonah Greywolf, aged 16, arrives in a small town in Oregon on the bus, furious at his parents for giving up on him and banishing him to his grandparents’ house in the middle of nowhere. Little does he know, the move is actually part of a grand plan. Jonah has been born into a clan of Native Americans who have been given a sacred duty by the Great Spirit.

Jonah makes friends with local boys Daniel, Dakota and Utah, and the dialogue going back and forth between these guys is just priceless. The ban
Elissa
Jan 29, 2012 Elissa rated it it was amazing
After reading Joann H. Buchannan’s first novella, Soulless Light, I was anxious to read I Am Wolf. I Am Wolf is such a unique book that it could be marketed for Young Adult or even Adult, and almost needs its own category as a Paranormal Fantasy Horror Novel. Magic, it has it. Werewolves, it has that too. Horror, oh yeah, there is definitely blood and gore in this book enough to make any head bashing, limb decapitating monster happy. If you love all of these things, then you will love I Am Wolf. ...more
Kassandra
Aug 24, 2012 Kassandra rated it liked it
Rating it 3.5

I am going to start by saying that this book has way too many POV. Don't get me wrong, I love reading characters different POV throughout the story, but in this case it was just unnecessary to have about six or more POV. It was also hard in times to figure out which character's POV it was. Along the same line, there were a few dialogues that were unnecessary in the story, it just stretched/ repeated the story.

Now, the story for me was not fast paced and it did get boring at times o
 Lady Krishna
Feb 15, 2012 Lady Krishna rated it it was amazing
This review is originally posted on my blog
Journey with Books

I am Wolf is the first installment of The Children of Nox Series by Ms. Joann H. Buchanan. I've always believed that the first book of a series is the most critical one because it should have the ability to draw in the readers and read the next book. I think Ms. Joann H. Buchanan did a great job in passing that critical stage of the first book of a series.

I liked this book a lot. It's a bit different from my normal reads because the ro
Dominique Goodall
Aug 22, 2012 Dominique Goodall rated it it was amazing
Angel, hero, monster, devil--we all become what we really are. I Am Wolf --The journey of a boy about to become a man who inherits his ancestor's gift and must learn the right way to use it. He falls in love with Alaynee and begins to feel like he is normal again. When their world is shattered by the kidnapping of Alaynee's little brother, Jonah breaks the cardinal rule of his gift and bites the kidnapper, creating a creature called the unnatural. This sends him and all his friends on an ...more
Shaeeza Haniff
Jan 30, 2012 Shaeeza Haniff rated it it was amazing
I read this book and experienced a whole new world of magic, fantasy, demons, heroes,legends and fantastical creatures.

Joanne Buchanan wrote this spell binding tale of the coming of age of a youngling. Jonah is sent away to live with his grandparents without being told a deep secret concerning his future. He is resentful at first and learns to find acceptance, friendship,his destiny and true love.

Jonah learns some of life's hardest lessons any young person has ever had to come across and he ex
D
Feb 19, 2012 D rated it it was amazing
An interesting read. Different from other supernatural/paranormal books I have read. Actually it was great to read something with more spirituality and a feel of aboriginal legends. The story therefore went much deeper and had more meaning than your typical books out there.
Ralph was a really creepy character and although i was somewhat sickened by his character, I kept wanting to read on to see where his character was going and what was developing. He needed to be the character Buchanan develope
Jenny Bynum Black Words-White Pages
Jun 13, 2012 Jenny Bynum Black Words-White Pages rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: YA/Teen
Recommended to Jenny Bynum by: Joann H Buchanan Author
7*s......WOW, what a WILD ride this book is. I Am Wolf will keep you turning page after page after page until you have finished the book and I am still craving for more!! I totally fell in love with all the characters in this story. Everything just flowed so smoothly and naturally. I was sucked in right away and I felt like I was right there with the characters. I love the name Alaynee. The name just fit the personality of the character perfectly.

Jonah is a boy who thought he was a troubled chi
Amanda
Apr 16, 2012 Amanda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, my-ebooks
Jonah was your average agngry teenage boy when his parents sent him to live with his grandparents in the town he lived in as a child. Angered even more by being sent away and not understanding why be is quickly thrown into a world he didn't know existed. He learns he is part of the tibolt clan and is a shape shifter, he is wolf. He becomes very close to his pack of younglings and falls deeply in love with Alaynee, on of his pack mates. But all his sudden happiness is ripped away when an ...more
Tiffany Stevens
Feb 21, 2013 Tiffany Stevens rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I loved the fact the author let you in on different POV's so you knew what every character was thinking or going through. You felt every emotion that each character felt. The author did a great job describing every detail as if you were actually there. The drama, the action, the love and betrayal made this story. I had to savor the ending because I didn't want it to end and the ending it self just makes you want to scream BOOK 2 PLEASE!!! Read it you won't be disappointed. I ...more
Beth Price
May 07, 2012 Beth Price rated it it was amazing
I completely fell in love with this book!I am so glad I got it. Joann Buchanan knows how to put a story together and then throw her reader right in the thick of things. The action started immediately and keeps going til the end of the book. She was so descriptive that I could see everything in my mind as if I were there. The characters are written so clearly and with such obvious care, that I was surprised when they didn't morph into real people and sit in my living room while I read. I can NOT ...more
May
Jan 14, 2013 May rated it really liked it
3.5
Overall an enjoyable read. the frequent philosophical tangents were at times very thought provoking and interesting and at other times annoying and detracting from the story. Alaynee is a little too good to be true and her character is a bit boring but the rest of the characters are very interesting and believable. i really enjoyed getting to know the rest of the gang and look forward to reading about them in the next book.
Jill
Mar 19, 2012 Jill rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book! The character Jonah was my type of hero. Alaynee was beautiful and made me just want to be her. The little girl Cara was so loving and innocent. Ralph was a terrifying villain. I cringed with every description. I loved this book and look forward to reading more books by this author. Well done Joann!
Lori
Aug 31, 2012 Lori rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
This book starts out slow, but it really picks up. I enjoyed the way the writer allowed the characters to provide their own point of view of the story as it unfolded. It allowed you to get a better understanding of the story and how it affected everyone involved. I am getting ready to start the next book in the series, and I can't wait to see how the story unfolds.
Sara
Apr 02, 2016 Sara rated it it was amazing
Wow, What a ride!Talk about a fly by the sear of your pants page turner. Not my usual genre of choice, but I couldn't put it down! Showed, in a lot of whats, that good versus evil isn't always clean cut. Really explored the grey area in between.Anxiously awaiting the next book...For that matter, can't wait to read ANYTHING by this woman. She could make a recipe book seem enthralling.
Tasha
Mar 14, 2012 Tasha rated it really liked it
I liked the story very much. It was well written and kept you wanting to find out how the story ends. There were one or two little scenes/words that I thought weren't necessary to include. But over all it was a good book.
Amanda Jenks
Aug 27, 2012 Amanda Jenks rated it it was amazing
This story is amazingly thought out! Every detail accounted for! Loved the twists & turns! Definitely recommend this book for those who enjoy fantasy! Writer did fantastic with the writing style too! Easy to read and flowed nicely!
Benjamin
Jun 04, 2012 Benjamin rated it it was amazing
The beginning of a rich trilogy. A deep and pervasive mythology that will capture anyones imagination.
Ken Brunelle
May 17, 2012 Ken Brunelle rated it it was amazing
Love this book! While reading, I experienced a whole new world of MAGIC, fantasy, heroes, legends and fantastical creatures. I would recommend this book!
Kelly
Dec 06, 2012 Kelly rated it really liked it
This was a slow read for me, but I kept going and was satisfied in the end. Hoped for a bigger battle scene between the wolf pack and the unnatural though. Overall good book though.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Aussie Readers: Special Price for a limited time. 4 19 Feb 14, 2013 12:36AM
Who is your fave protagonist and why? 1 3 Jan 04, 2012 08:27AM
  • Prowl (Prowl Trilogy, #1)
  • Oldsoul
  • The Sticks
  • Instinct (Holloway Pack, #0)
  • The Division of the Damned
  • Autobiography of a Werewolf Hunter (Autobiography of a Werewolf Hunter Book 1)
  • High Moor 2: Moonstruck
  • Outage Boxed Set: Books 1-3 (Outage #1-3)
  • The Frenzy War (The Frenzy Wolves, #2)
  • Tamed
  • A Snow Covered Moon (Twisted Eventide, #1)
  • Memoirs of a Gothic Soul
  • Blood And Rain
  • A Guardian's Desire
  • House of Corruption
  • Voice
  • Compulsion (Moon Coven, #1)
  • Silver (The Silver, #1)
Joann H. Buchanan is a mother of five children, and has a wonderful husband who supports her passion for the written word. She owns a small audiobook company named Empire voices. Empire Voices creates audiobooks. You can stop off at www.empirevoices.com for more information.

Her upcoming releases include Shine, After Dark book 3 in The Children of Nox series, and Empires Lost book 1 Keleigh.
She is
More about Joann Buchanan...

The Children of Nox (2 books)
  • The Kiss (The Children of Nox, #2)