Start by marking “Reclaiming Adoption: Missional Living Through the Rediscovery of Abba Father” as Want to Read:
Reclaiming Adoption: Missional Living Through the Rediscovery of Abba Father

Reclaiming Adoption: Missional Living Through the Rediscovery of Abba Father

One of the ambitious dreams that Reclaiming Adoption and its authors share with the Apostle Paul is that when Christians hear the word adoption, they will think first about their adoption by God. As it now stands, Christians usually think first about the adoption of children. Reclaiming Adoption sets out to change this situation by providing breathtaking views of God’s lov ...more
Audio
Published January 1st 2011 by CruciformPress (first published December 9th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Reclaiming Adoption, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reclaiming Adoption

Julie
Dec 20, 2010 Julie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic book! What a joy to be reminded of the great truth that we are adopted children of God. And, what a great picture of that adoption of children is - this book made me so grateful for my own adoption through Christ, and for my two adopted children. It also encouraged me as we await our first foster care placement. A reminder to extend the gospel to these children, as Christ has done for me.
Libby Shepherd
Jan 10, 2011 Libby Shepherd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-it
so excited about this book...with co-authors: John Piper, Scotty Smith, Richard D. Phillips, and Jason Kovacs.
will keep you posted!
Michael Boling
Apr 20, 2014 Michael Boling rated it it was amazing
Adoption is something near and dear to the heart of my wife and I given we are the adoptive parents of a 12 year old daughter. Thus, the range of emotions involved in adoption to include the personal expense, time, and effort that is part of the overall adoption process is something very familiar to our family. Many likely know someone who has adopted a child whether that is a child from the United States or a child from another country. Arguably, the biblical doctrine of adoption is something p ...more
Darren Sapp
Mar 13, 2013 Darren Sapp rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When folks ask me about books on adoption, they usually want an overview of the process, picking an agency, domestic vs. international, etc. I typically recommend Successful Adoptions for Christian Families by Natalie Gillespie for that but suggest they begin with Fields of the Fatherless by Tom Davis. I now need to recommend folks consider starting with this Reclaiming Adoption edited by Dan Cruver as well. Maybe a one two punch of Davis/Cruver or vice versa.

Back to Reclaiming Adoption. It's tr
Bob
Jan 17, 2014 Bob rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I must begin by saying that this book is not primarily about people adopting children, it is primarily about the theological doctrine of adoption and its relation to other doctrines in Christian theology. It is, of course, presented as laying the foundation for "horizontal" adoption (actually adopting children), but that aspect is only rarely discussed.

J. I. Packer in Knowing God said, "Our understanding of Christianity cannot be better than our grasp of adoption." -

Author Dan Cruver's Reclaimi
Jeanie
Aug 14, 2011 Jeanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you have adopted or planning to adopt or even foster care, this book would be a great encouragement to you. If you have not or not planning, this book will encourage you and show you the greatness of your salvation. When redemption reaches its intended goal, the bible calls it adoption. The very act of adoption is a rescue. A church would do well on a teaching of adoption. I have belonged to several churches that embraced adoption and supported their members and when they did, the spirit move ...more
Dana
Jun 29, 2011 Dana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Super encouraging. I've realized that I want to learn more about the Trinity -- about the LOVE of God as Father (a totally unique concept in light of most world religions!). And about which JI Packer writes:
"You sum up the whole of New Testament teaching in a single phrase, if you speak of it as a revelation of the Fatherhood of the holy Creator. In the same way, you sum up the whole of New Testament religion if you describe it as the knowledge of God as one's holy Father. If you want to judge
Helen
Jan 20, 2011 Helen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was honoured to endorse this wonderful book: "Reclaiming Adoption speaks into our natural desire for wholeness and community by pointing us to a great and triune God who is the fulfillment of these desires. It is a read that gives language to the “why” of mission and provides a clear framework for all we do in union with Christ. Reclaiming Adoption should be a mandatory read for all engaged in mission. It openly confronts our humanity, drawing us away from our self-centered nature and leading ...more
Brent Dore
Jan 09, 2011 Brent Dore rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theology
Wow. Dan Cruver has assembled an amazing collection of authors who break down the glorious riches of adoption. Often thoughts of adoption only bring to mind images of new babies or kids in foster care; but the foundational image should be God's gracious work in adopting sinners as forgiven heirs of his kingdom. God's gracious adoption is central to the gospel and sets the believer free to experience a radical transformed life.

This is not a long book but it is packed with weighty truth that shou
Jesse
Mar 03, 2011 Jesse rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theology
This book has important and insightful thoughts into the trinitarian nature of adoption and what it means for all christians. And some great quotes from Keller, Ferguson, Plantinga, Macdonald, Piper, and Torrance.

Quote:

"In grace God has moved outward in mission to bring us into his communion of love forever. You may not have thought about it this way, but God's missional movement into the world IS his adoptive plan at work."

The one down side is that the best essays are the first two or three; t
Michael Wehrle
Jan 08, 2011 Michael Wehrle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a fantastic picture of the gospel through the perspective of horizontal adoption. A+++ It has been awhile since I have read a book that is so clear, so concise, so on point. This book is not hard to read, and yet it is not shallow, and worthy of multiple reads. There is a fantastic chapter on the Trinity in this book as well. This is going to be a book that I measure other "Christian" books by for some time to come.
Mark A Powell
Aug 11, 2012 Mark A Powell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Five authors swipe their brushes to collectively paint a canvas of adoption. They begin with God’s adoption of His children in Christ and then extend to our adoption of orphans. A proper understanding of God’s adoption, they argue, is necessary for seeing how our adoption of others is to play out. This is a poignant resource, full of gospel-centered truths and reminders for all of those who are considering adoption—and for those who should be.
Marguerite Harrell
Sep 14, 2013 Marguerite Harrell rated it it was amazing
I do wish that everybody in my church family to read this book. At first, I did struggle reading this until it clicks on with me. Thankful for this book. Great book to read. I also do wish that our Outreach team can do something to reach out to the orphan local even though who are age out to be adopted by law but never age out to be adopted into Christ's family.
Jordan Palser
Jan 05, 2014 Jordan Palser rated it it was ok
Very good book, but for a short read and eight small chapters, Dan Cruver is too much. May be a preference thing by me, but have read deep theological content presented better from other pastors and authors. Jason Kovacs' and John Piper's personal insight save the book...
Al Garlando
Apr 12, 2011 Al Garlando rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Received this as a gift - and it IS a gift - to the Church!
Adoption is central to understanding our relationship to God as Father and the template for our mission and engagement as families and a Church community towards the orphan, widow and maligned.
Jenifer
Feb 27, 2011 Jenifer rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adoption-books
Whenever people hear the word "adoption" they automatically think of people adopting children (the horizontal approach to adoption). This book takes a look at the most important approach to adoption....God adopting each of us (the vertical approach to adoption).
Chuck Bonadies
Jan 27, 2011 Chuck Bonadies rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an outstanding little book on the topic of Adoption. Cruver's chapter, "Adoption and the Trinity," alone is worth the price of the book.

CB
Jeff Learned
Aug 22, 2011 Jeff Learned rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: foster-adoption, 2015
Another winner from Cruciform press.
Rob
Dec 21, 2010 Rob rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I appreciate the constant pull of this book from the easy-to-understand horizontal adoption to the often ignored fact of our vertical adoption.
Susanna
Mar 16, 2011 Susanna marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
recommended by Westminster bookstore
Jane
Dec 03, 2012 Jane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book! Especially chapters 5 and 8 - although all of it is great!
Lisa
Apr 23, 2014 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fabulous book that centers on the trinity's adoption of us and then, briefly, relates it to our call to adopt and care for those who can't care for themselves (adoption is focus).
Mike Rusch
Mike Rusch rated it it was amazing
Nov 04, 2012
Jason Kovacs
Jason Kovacs rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2013
Dave
Dave rated it it was amazing
Sep 03, 2016
Christy
Christy rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2016
Marsha
Marsha rated it really liked it
Jun 05, 2013
Janelle
Janelle rated it really liked it
Oct 13, 2016
Janice
Janice rated it really liked it
Jul 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Orphanology: Awakening to Gospel-Centered Adoption and Orphan Care
  • Fields of the Fatherless: Discover the Joy of Compassionate Living
  • Adopted for Life: The Priority of Adoption for Christian Families and Churches
  • Wrestling with an Angel: A Story of Love, Disability and the Lessons of Grace
  • Killing Calvinism: How to Destroy a Perfectly Good Theology from the Inside
  • Don't Call it a Comeback: The Old Faith for a New Day
  • The World-Tilting Gospel: Embracing a Biblical Worldview & Hanging on Tight
  • The Great Exchange: My Sin for His Righteousness
  • Gospel And Kingdom: A Christian Interpretation Of The Old Testament
  • The Doctrines of Grace: Rediscovering the Evangelical Gospel
  • Gospel Wakefulness
  • Is God anti-gay?: And other questions about homosexuality, the Bible and same-sex attraction
  • Orphan Justice: How to Care for Orphans Beyond Adopting
  • Proclaiming a Cross-Centered Theology
  • 40 Questions About Interpreting The Bible (40 Questions & Answers Series)
  • Praying Backwards: Transform Your Prayer Life by Beginning in Jesus' Name