Start by marking “Lion of Babylon” as Want to Read:
Lion of Babylon

Lion of Babylon (Marc Royce #1)

3.99  ·  Rating Details ·  1,516 Ratings  ·  184 Reviews
Marc Royce works for the State Department on special assignments, most of them rather routine, until two CIA operatives go missing in Iraq--kidnapped by Taliban forces bent on generating chaos in the region. Two others also drop out of sight--a high-placed Iraqi civilian and an American woman providing humanitarian aid. Are the disappearances linked? Rumors circulate in a ...more
Audio
Published July 1st 2011 by christianaudio Fiction

To ask other readers questions about Lion of Babylon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lion of Babylon

Kelly
Jan 31, 2012 Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have a longstanding love/hate relationship with Christian fiction. I have a thirst for reading, and enjoy books from many genres. Periodically I have a craving for espionage/thriller stories, ones that are well written without being overly gory and unnecessarily violent. As a Christian, I repeatedly try to find books within the Christian Fiction classification that have a rich, thorough plot and storyline, where God has a deserved place in the writing. Unfortunately, too many times Christian F ...more
Andrea Cox
by Andrea Renee Cox

Lion of Babylon had been in my to-be-read pile for a couple of years, and a book bingo challenge finally got me to read it. I was hopeful that it would be filled with action, but I was disappointed. Sure, there were scenes of action and tension and juicy stuff like that. But there was heavy emphasis on Iraqi religions, which I wasn't expecting nor wanting in a Christian fiction book, and the lead character explained the same thing to each new player that joined his team. I'm a
Gail Welborn
Apr 10, 2012 Gail Welborn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviews
Lion of Babylon, by Davis Bunn, Bethany House, 2011, 378 Pages, ISBN-10: 0764209051, $14.99

“Alex Baird has gone missing,” Ambassador Walton told Marc from the back seat of the idling town car.

Instead of getting out, Marc’s hand dropped from the door handle and he said, “When did Alex go off the grid?”

“…seventy hours to be exact.”

“Three days missing in Baghdad meant one of two things…” to Marc. His close friend was either “…kidnapped or buried in a dusty grave.”

Within hours Marc would be “wheels
Bill Tillman
Thriller is a great handle for this novel by Bunn. The action is non stop from first page to last. As a Christian author Bunn ranks among the best. Well worth reading.
Skip
Feb 11, 2012 Skip rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Normally, I cannot abide a novel with such strong religious overtones, but Davis Bunn has written a thriller with a message of hope for the world. Marc Royce, a former covert agent, has retired from the job and life over the death of his wife due to a stroke. When his best friend Alex Baird is kidnapped in Iraq, he is reawakened. He befriends a local attorney-fixer and an entire country, by helping rescue a kidnapped child (among many others) with former Iraqi police demoted to prison guards. Ce ...more
Nate LaClaire
Sep 07, 2011 Nate LaClaire rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lion of Babylon tells the story of Marc Royce, a former US intelligence operative who is called back into service to rescue a close friend who has been kidnapped in Iraq. In order to save his friend, Marc must make allies in Iraq while protecting himself from those within the US and Iraqi governments who aim to see him fail. In the process he…well, I’m not going to tell you what he does – you’re going to have to read it yourself to find out.

This fast-paced thriller kept me hooked from beginning
Aug 02, 2011 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For me, this book went beyond a good story; it actually broadened my world a bit.

When a CIA operative suddenly goes missing in Bagdad, the US State Department pulls their former employee, Marc Royce back into service to find his missing friend. Marc faces danger and opposition from not only the Iraqi and Iranian conservatives, but also from inside the US Embassy and military organization in Iraq. Although its hard to tell friend from foe, Marc's honesty, humility, and desire for justice--even i
Cindy
Mar 03, 2017 Cindy rated it really liked it
Spies, military men, foreign intrigue with Christian base. Well narrated and highly recommended!!!
Michelle Rayburn
Jun 05, 2011 Michelle Rayburn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I closed the last page of the book, I think I actually tasted the desert sand of Iraq and felt the searing heat of the sun. In Lion of Babylon, Davis Bunn takes the readers on an action-packed adventure to the middle east. Marc Royce is on special assignment to find several missing Americans in Iraq, and he’s driven by his personal connection to one of them. The story is full of twists and turns, leaving the reader wondering right up to the end if certain events are related to one another.

T
Kathleen (Kat) Smith
Marc Royce is a former employee of State Intel, which is the smallest of the nation's intelligence forces responsible for security in every overseas non military base from embassies, consulates, ambassadorial residences to treaty houses. He was fired because he had the the unforgivable. He put his wife first to care for her after having a stroke for 9 months, the state only offered him 6 weeks. Since then, he has carried around her death like a burden he can't see to put down.

Now that Alex Baird
Ed
Feb 11, 2017 Ed rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is volume 1 of a series with Marc Royce is the hero. It is interesting to see how Marc becomes a diplomat to the Iraqi leaders and the Moslem leaders, while still being an American agent. Marc seems to be very observant to the conditions and their relationship to Americans. Marc by using Christian tactics appears to gain the trust of the Iraqis. I am looking forward to reading the next volume in this series.
lafon حمزة نوفل
I don't like Christian fiction. At all. Not because I have anything against Christianity (that would be completely untrue), but rather because it's (the genre, not the religion) usually very preachy. Trinity this, Jesus dying for you that. I have my own religion thank you very much. And I have no intention of leaving it.
I also don't like thrillers as a rule. More often than not (especially nowadays) they're about some courageous Marine or soldier from the States, who goes and prevents an evil (M
Joy DeKok
Jun 13, 2012 Joy DeKok rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My husband and I don't have long romantic dinners on date nights. Instead, we buy audio books, fill our travel mugs with fresh brewed coffee, and get in the car with an audio book - usually non-fiction.

Not long ago, I asked Jon if he'd be willing to try a novel, and he said that would be fine. He said fine in the same voice he uses when I want to watch a chick-flick.

Jon was hooked on Lion of Babylon by the time we reached the end of our 1/4 mile driveway. Way to write Davis Bunn!

Lion of Babylo
Katie
Aug 22, 2011 Katie is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
i am really enjoying it right now. I never thought that i would pick up a book about the middle east. It is making me think of all the people that are over their working to help start a new government. I am also grateful that I don't have to hide my faith and worry that I will get in trouble.

If anybody is considering reading this book i do recommend it, but just understand it does have some difficult topics in it. ex. kidnapping, and the differences between the two groups in the middle east.
Betti
May 05, 2013 Betti rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense
Great book. Well written, set in Iraq, opening a whole new world to those of us who have not served in the military or otherwise in a foreign country. Hard to put down once you started, as the intrigue kept your interest, wondering if things were going to work out the way you hoped they would. Between bombs and dark alleys, this is definitely worth sitting down and reading.
Brian K.
LOVED this book.

Great work by Davis Bunn, writing a modern tale of servant-leadership. I only wish more authors would demonstrate to young readers how to lead through quiet introspection rather than forceful admonition. Marc Royce's character should be expanded in future novels.

Great Job Mr. Dun. Thank You!!!
Julianne
This was an interesting story. The main character does have all the advantages fall easily into his lap but I like the cultural and political story lines. I also would have liked a little more back story on Marc and where he served to get his phenomenal skills.
I thought the Christian side theme and how it affects that area of the world was very interesting. I will read the next one.
Jeanie
A retired operative is called back to rescue a friend that has gone missing in Iraq. A story about courage, doing the right thing for the right reasons. About loyalty and friendship. It is a book that opens your eyes to what is going on in the middle east. It really is a tangled web.
Rick Bavera
I have read Davis Bunn's books before, and they have always been worth the time.

This was no exception.

Strong story and characters. Entertaining. There is a Christian undercurrent that is good and doesn't clobber you over the head.

Definitely a good read.
Lisa Carter
This is definitely a book most guys will enjoy. A political thriller with tons of action. I'm wondering if there is a sequel to further explore the romantic thread introduced in this novel. Gripping spiritual message for a world divided by so much.
Susan
Sep 14, 2013 Susan rated it it was amazing
This novel was intriguing and exciting. The narrator did an excellent job with the characters. Mark Royce and his friends were quite interesting. I'm looking forward to the next in the series.
W. Franklin Lattimore
I struggled for a moment, considering whether to rate this with 4 or 5 stars. In the end, because this author went through so much research to pull this off, it tipped the scale upward.

I enjoyed being taken on a journey into the inner reaches of Iraq, where there is a combination of chaos and a "new normal" for those who live in that nation. One might call this a man's Anne of Green Gables> from the standpoint of whatever Anne seemed to touch turned out right. Outside of that, the intrigue an
Dave Hoff
First of Series, the author knows a lot of the culture of Iraq and Iran. Plot involves Sunnis, Shia, Christian and Jews. Can they form an Alliance? Much of the story involves the underground Christian churches, kidnaping of kids, American missionary, and Aid workers. Action in the last 1/2 dozen chapters.
Tyler Standish
A decent christian novel
Sid Frost
Aug 18, 2011 Sid Frost rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story is about what happens after Marc Royce, a former State Department agent involved in covert operations, is called back into service in Baghdad to find his best friend Alex Baird, a CIA agent who has disappeared. In addition to his friend, there are two women missing, Claire Reeves, a nurse, and Hannah Brimsley, a volunteer at a church in the Green Zone. Farouk El-waziri, the son of a prominent Iraqi family who knew the three Americans is also missing.

Marc had been forced out of his job
Victor Gentile
Nov 23, 2010 Victor Gentile rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had the privilege of interviewing Davis Bunn, on our radio show “Kingdom Highlights” for his new book, “Lion of Babylon” Book One in Marc Royce series published by Bethany House.

From the back cover: Marc Royce worked for the State Department on a variety of clandestine assignments — that is, until personal issues led to his dismissal.

When Alex Baird goes missing in war-torn Baghdad, State comes calling again. Alex is an intelligence agent – and a close friend of Royce. Three others have also d
Monnie
Oct 09, 2013 Monnie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Davis Bunn has a healthy track record when it comes to publishing novels, and this book, the first in a series featuring former U.S. intelligence operative Marc Royce, has racked up excellent reviews. So despite a few concerns that Bunn would take a heavy-handed approach to the religious aspect (it's considered a Christian thriller), when I had a chance to get a free copy I didn't hesitate.

Happily, although religion is at the forefront of both the plot and development of the characters, it doesn
Brenna
After finishing this book, all I can say is, "Wow". I was truly moved, and to be honest it's pretty difficult to explain that.

Do you believe that one Person can change others? That one Person can influence people to make a change? That one Person could change politics? What about the situation in the Middle East, and as this book looks at, the political instability of Iraq? Can one Person bring enemies together in peace to now call each other "brother"?

That's exactly what Lion of Babylon is abo
Kevin Sorensen
Aug 31, 2011 Kevin Sorensen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gripping. Stunning. Intriguing.
A real “page-turner.” Suspenseful.
Creative. Descriptive. Imaginative.
I could go on. Bunn has done a masterful job of transporting the reader to another place, and to what might almost seem, another time. Though set in modern day Iraq, during the time when the Iraqis are seeking to establish a post-Saddam government, Davis Bunn describes the setting so well, you’d think you’d been taken back in time to another world. Sights, sounds, even smells float up off the pag
Dawn Bulchandani
Sep 04, 2011 Dawn Bulchandani rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: iraq, middle-east
PLEASE READ THIS BOOK. Especially if you really enjoy: 1. Praying for me 2. Praying for the Middle East 3. Brilliantly hopeful books about the Middle East 4. Insight into life in Iraq 5. Fascinatingly engaging books in general

Yesterday a friend called me while she was reading this book. "Dawn, I called you because you need to read this book immediately. I'm loaning it to someone when I finish it so, I won't be able to loan it to you soon. Besides, you need to have your own copy. Consider this yo
  • Thunder in the Morning Calm (Pacific Rim #1)
  • Falls Like Lightning
  • The Next Target
  • The 13: Fall (The 13, #1)
  • Directed Verdict
  • Vigilante (Dangerous Times, #3)
  • Betrayed
  • The Deposit Slip
  • Dead Reckoning
  • Diagnosis Death (Prescription for Trouble, #3)
  • Downfall (Intervention, #3)
  • Hide and Seek (Sgt. Major Eric Moyer, #4)
  • The Chair
  • Day of War (Lion of War #1)
  • The Betrayal (Precinct 11, #2)
  • Here We Come (Aggie's Inheritance, #3)
  • Fatal Loyalty: A Novel
  • From Across the Ancient Waters (The Green Hills of Snowdonia, #1)
Davis Bunn is an internationally-acclaimed author who has sold more than seven million books in twenty languages.

Honored with four Christy Awards for excellence in historical and suspense fiction, Davis was inducted into the Christy Hall of Fame in 2014.

His bestsellers include The Great Divide, Winner Take All, The Meeting Place, The Book of Hours, and The Quilt. A sought-after lecturer in the a
More about Davis Bunn...

Marc Royce (3 books)
  • Rare Earth (Marc Royce)
  • Strait of Hormuz

“There’s no debt. There never has been. We are friends.” 13 likes
“He used a minimum of words and no inflection whatsoever. It was a policeman's manner of speaking, direct and unadorned.” 1 likes