Start by marking “Gnome on the Range” as Want to Read:
Gnome on the Range

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

Gnome on the Range (The Gnome Series #1)

Once you get the zing you can't go back.

Jane West has everything a woman could want. A job in a small Montana town's only adult store, two busy young boys and one dead husband. Everything except a little excitement--a little zing. But that changes one summer morning at a garage sale when her kids buy some garden gnomes.

Now someone wants those gnomes and will let nothing ge
Kindle Edition, 1st edition, 215 pages
Published December 27th 2011

To ask other readers questions about Gnome on the Range, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gnome on the Range

Karla

ZING!! 4.5 Stars! You did good Jennifer Zane, fantastic debut book! Funny, funny, funny!!!

Do not read this out in public because you will have random outbursts of laughter and lots of splainin’ about why you are laughing so hard. Since this book is about a woman who works in an adult store and the paraphernalia that’s sold there is the basis for most of the comedic moments, well it could be embarrassing, but makes for some of the funniest stuff I’ve ever read.

The story is over the top crazy, b
Dorsey aka ❤️ Wrath Lover and KA Addict ❤️
Apr 19, 2012 Dorsey aka ❤️ Wrath Lover and KA Addict ❤️ rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Dorsey aka ❤️ Wrath Lover and KA Addict ❤️ by: Karla
Fun read! Laugh out loud funny and great characters (especially 60 something adult shop owner Goldie) Thanks so much to Karla for the recommendation and to Kellie for joining me in a Buddy Read.
Carrie
Going into this book I was thinking okay quick read that will be silly.

*Points to cover, glances at title*

And well I was correct. The amount of times I laughed and laughed I can't count, very very humors book. I even snorted, yep that's right I snorted and loudly might I add, because there was so many comical parts. "You got it stuck where?" I got a kick out of all the characters, Goldie especially. Oh and well can not leave out Ty, yummy fire man!!!

What I didn't see coming was the nice little
Lisa Kay
★★★★ FOFLMBO! I didn't get this for free like some of you did, but it was still worth the money. Thanks, Karla for the rec. Really enjoyed this one - and it had a bit of mystery, too! ...more
Angie ~aka Reading Machine~
Mar 22, 2013 Angie ~aka Reading Machine~ rated it it was amazing
Jane West is a widow with two young boys named Bobby and Zach. There is never a dull moment in the West household. The other interesting thing about Jane is that she works at Goldilocks which is adult store owned by her mother in law Goldie. A new neighbor sparks interest in Jane and her boys. The new neighbor is Ty Strickland, a paid fireman and army vet, enjoys meeting Jane in unusual circumstances. Ty thinks Jane is a danger magnet and pushes her away from him. Jane's husband Nate treated her ...more
Penny Watson
Jan 31, 2013 Penny Watson rated it really liked it
This was NOT what I thought it was. For some reason, I thought it was about an insane homicidal gnome. The cover is sort of misleading and looks creepy, and the title is also misleading. So sue me...I thought it was a horror story. Hee hee!

Needless to say, I found this entertaining. Believable? Hell no. But I never care about that. Perfect? No. Amusing? Yes. Entertaining? Yes. I laughed out loud at some of the ridiculous lines. The plot was so ridiculous it was almost cartoonish at times, but I
Sharon Michael
No rating, as the reason this book didn't work for me was very personal ... it may well work for someone who is not familiar with the horse world.

I got this book expecting a rather light, humorous almost 'cozy' type of mystery and being a Montana native, like books set in Montana. While it is more romance than mystery, it may appeal to readers who are not knowledgeable about the equine 'industry'.

The first problem I had with the book is that while it was set in what is for MT a good-sized unive
Kelly_Instalove
Grade: D

This wasn’t painful, but it wasn’t good.

For the next fifteen minutes, we went over fire inspection paperwork with an elephant in the room the shape of a dildo.

A nearly-TSTL heroine, her way-OTT mother-in-law, a completely transparent “suspense” plot, inane and irrelevant details about houses, horses, sex toys, street names, etc., etc.

And…the Evil Villain. Oy. Uff da.

Are you ready for this? Because this is where the gnomes come into play.

Are you SURE? All righty, don’t say I didn’t war
Richard
Mar 07, 2016 Richard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is quite a romp. Jane, a young widow, may sometimes keep us a bit too well informed about how hot she is for fireman Ty, but she narrates a good yarn while careening through various odd and dangerous occurrences that begin after her boys buy a pair of garden gnomes at a garage sale... I enjoyed the whole thing, and the ending was pretty satisfying. I was thinking 3 stars through most of it, but the tail end made me happy, so it got an extra...

(If you're skittish about a protagonist who wor
Kellie Maddox-Ward
Apr 25, 2012 Kellie Maddox-Ward rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle-freebies
Oh WOW... This was Free but I totally would of bought it!
HIL-AR-IOUS!
From the get go!

I mean seriously, the opening is...
"I'm not sure which one I want. I didn't realise there were so many choices!"
The woman wasn't on the hunt for a new car or juice boxes at the grocery store.Nope. She wanted a dildo. I called her type a waffler. Someone who contemplated all options before even attempting to make a choice. Because of Miss Waffler, I had ten different dildo models spread out across the cou
Matt Schiariti
Nov 15, 2012 Matt Schiariti rated it really liked it
Based on the description I just had to pick up this book when it popped up in the kindle daily deals. I skimmed some reviews to see what I was getting myself into and was wondering if it was going to be a non stop sex romp considering the protagonist works in her town's only adult store. That's not the case. This book is an excellent blending of some adventure, some romance, some drama, lots of humor and lots of great characters.

The protagonist, Jane West is a VERY likable character. A widowed s
Rick Bylina
Apr 11, 2012 Rick Bylina rated it really liked it
I don't remember why I picked up "Gnome on the Range" by Jennifer Zane, but I did. It's a quick, simple read. If you have a three hour plane trip, it mixes enough humor, romance, and mystery to keep you from worrying about rabid airline stewards, upset pilots, or drunken passengers. The protagonist, Jane West, is a likable widow working in her mother-in-law's sex shop. Her two kids are kids, mixing things up as they should. However, the plot line gets a bit thin in places. About 53% through the ...more
Kelly
Heh. This one was cute. From Jane and Ty's first meeting -- where she had to explain several different personal pleasure devices to a customer with him within earshot -- to their numerous brushes with danger, I was entertained. Frankly, I thought the two sizzled together. And Ty's obsession with Jane's breasts after an unexpected wardrobe malfunction was hilarious!

Beyond the chemistry between the two, Jane ends up in the worst situations without even trying. Attempted robberies, things blowing u
Tracy
Zane did an excellent job with this debut book. It was hilarious! I loved it and everything about it from the way it was written to the characters being familiar. The writing in Gnome on the Range was superb in that it just flowed from page to page. One of those books that I would say "I will do laundry after this chapter" "I will make you dinner after this page". I could not put it down. The characters are lovable and realistic. I felt like I knew them all and lived just down the street.

Jane a
Pat
Jan 30, 2012 Pat rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book. I had been reading some "heady" novels and needed something fun. This novel totally hit the mark. Here are a few reasons I liked this book....it was hysterical, the main character is a widow (not grieving at all), her husband died in Europe, in anther woman's bed! She works in an adult "toy " store for her Mother-in-law Goldie, in a tiny Montana town. She has two boys, who are perfectly NORMAL!! They are not disrespectful, they love to swim and play outside, and act like most ...more
Suzanne
Very cute! A nice, easy, but interesting and fun read.
Kim
Jan 23, 2012 Kim rated it it was amazing
Gnome on the Range was a fabulous read! The title itself was intriguing to me and I had no idea what to expect. How does one combine garden gnomes, an adult store, a single mother, Montana, a dead husband, and a hot fireman and pull them all into a story that makes sense?! Well, Jennifer Zane does it, and she did it well! It was funny, spicy, romantic, and full of mystery and suspense. They combined to make a story that was impossible to put down. One moment it was hot and romantic as sparks fle ...more
Tim
Jul 17, 2012 Tim rated it it was ok
Not at all what I as expecting (or what it was billed as being by Amazon). Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the book; it had a lot of humor and a good story, but it was really a lot of romance with a little bit of mystery. I was expecting a mystery with a little bit of romance.

That being said, the story overall was good. I think Zane could have cut some of the minute details (i.e. describing every outfit every character wore, every time we saw them in the story), but again, that could just be my ta
Ann
4.5 stars. My only reason for not giving it a 5 star is because I wanted the Ty/Jane HEA to have lasted a bit longer. Hilarious bk, great dialogue, love the authors wit and sarcasm. Jane is a great laid back h with 2 young kids who works at her mother-in-laws adult store (already funny, right!?!). Ty the H is the hottie fireman neighbor just moved to town. They meet and have a bit of a wild and crazy suspenseful adventure while trying to resist their attraction. The opening scene had me LOL. A m ...more
Cynthia D'Alba
Jan 24, 2012 Cynthia D'Alba rated it really liked it
Fabulous Opening. Truly funny.

I really enjoyed this book. Loved Jane and Ty (who is mega-sexy!) Everyone should have a Goldie as a mother=in-law!

I'm not sure when or why Gnomes became a hot item, but they were a nice addition to the story.

Sex scenes hot. Loved them

I would recommend this book if you like your books contemporary, funny, and sexy.

I'll be looking for Jennifer Zane's next book!
Toni (U.A.C.)
Setting: Montana, Contemporary Romance/Mystery (M/F)

Widow meets hottie fireman, sparks fly, mayhem ensues. This book starts out cute and stays that way up until the mystery plot twists start...then it just gets stupid. If it was just the drug mystery I think it would've been fine...but mystery vial filled with unknown substance that is instantaniously identified by the hero as cow/horse semen? And building the majority of the story around a vial of horse sperm? Just not working for me.
Jac Zifos
Nov 26, 2013 Jac Zifos rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OMG, this book was so funny! I laughed out loud so many times. Ty was an awesome guy, so great to read his reactions to all the crazy things that happened to poor Jane. Written in first person, which I find unusual for a romance, but being in Jane's head was so entertaining it really didn't matter. Looking forward to reading more of Zane's books.
Bella Street
Dec 29, 2011 Bella Street rated it it was amazing
I bought this because the blurb cracked me up...and the book did not let me down. I laughed all the way through, and even got to experience a rather poignant romance. And then there's Ty...

Lots of sweet, and some serious spice that had me blushing, but then there's Ty...

...have I mentioned Ty?

*le sigh*
Angie Peoples
Nov 28, 2013 Angie Peoples rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book from page one and found it very hard to put down; therefore, I ended up reading the entire book in one sitting. It had me enthralled from page one. Jane is such a spunky young widow and Ty is such a marvelous hunk of a character. This book has a little something for everyone: murder, suspense, mystery, and romance. Great book!
Denise
Feb 11, 2015 Denise rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Denise by: 33
This book is the first of Zane's Gnome series (four books to date), set in Bozeman, Montana, and the first of her books I've read. Very enjoyable, light-hearted reading with fun characters, a romance, and a clever plot. The garden gnomes in the title attracted me to this book in the first place, and it was free for kindle; exactly what I was looking for in terms of a diversion.
Tammie
Oct 19, 2012 Tammie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Never judge a book by the cover... yes I've always known that! I almost missed out a GREAT book, it just didn't look like a book for me. This book contained mystery, murder, romance, humor, kids, sex toys plus much more! I absolutely loved it!!!
Lizz
Feb 01, 2012 Lizz rated it really liked it
This one was just laugh out loud funny! It is the authors first book, and was offered free for Kindle via Pixel of Ink. The characters were so much fun, Goldie is THE coolest mother in law ever! And Ty. Well, yes. Ty!!!!
Cj Snyder
Jan 26, 2012 Cj Snyder rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone who likes a little spicy laughter!
I couldn't stop laughing. Right out loud. In the middle of the night. And not just laughing, I'm talking milk-out-of-your-nose funny. Write on, Jennifer! Can't wait to read more by this stunning new author!
Sahalie Blue
Mar 18, 2017 Sahalie Blue rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A funny, sexy romantic mystery. Looking forward to reading more by this author.
★¸. • * ° *  Kathy,Ahmazing Book Faerie*°°*•.¸. ♥★
Ty Strickland
Jane West

I have had this on my kindle for ages, and finally found a reason to read it.
I loved it! Mystery, Romance, Humor, it's all in there.
what a great cool story, easy reading, light hearted mystery romance. I actually prefer the old cover! The version I read was called "GNOME ON THE RANGE".
Jane is a widow with two boys, she meets Ty at a strange time in her life, it would seem someone is trying kill her. Mystery and romance along with comedy. Really enjoyed this.

The guy wore j
Lori McD
3+ stars

Really funny - quirky, LOL moments - and a fun, hot romance. Except that the author completely blows the big moment... an item that is supposedly "lost" during a wild "romantic" moment is used by its owner *after* said "romantic" moment. And the BIG REVEAL relies on that singular event. Ugh.

I'd set aside a fair amount of disbelief to get to that point, and I couldn't believe it got past the author and editors and all... I even triple-checked myself.

But you've got to love a book about a
Jenn
Jul 07, 2014 Jenn rated it liked it
Shelves: own
This book has an identity crisis first of all. So, the title (Gnome on the Range) is stupid and the cover looks like a homicidal gnome is going to be stalking the plains. However, evidently since I "bought" this book, they changed the cover to a stock photo of a guy and a girl in an embrace, looking longingly into each other's eyes and changed the title to the super bland, "Waiting." It's not updated here, but it is on Amazon and Shelfari.

The story is silly, but readable. I can buy that someone
Bookgyrl J (Janet)
Jane West is a young widow with two kids, young boys. Her husband cheated on her and her marriage was over when she was pregnant with her youngest. She works in the adult store owned by her mother-in-law Goldie and that is were the story starts. Jane is showing some vibrators to a customer when fireman Ty is calling for fire inspection of the store.

Jane is immediately drawn to the sexy firefighter, who happens to move into her street. Will he be the one that will bring her love life back?

But thi
Anja
Jan 26, 2015 Anja marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Once you get the zing you can't go back.

Jane West has everything a woman could want. A job in a small Montana town's only adult store, two busy young boys and one dead husband. She's been waiting—for a little zing. That all changes one summer morning at a garage sale with her kids.

Now someone wants their garage sale find and will let nothing get in their way. Including Jane. This new excitement for Jane spells trouble for a relationship with new neighbor—and hot fireman—Ty Strickland. Can Jane a
Madison Warner Fairbanks
Gnome on the Range (previously titled Waiting) by Jennifer Zane

A light hearted small town romance with a bit of danger and more than a smidge of sex....talk.
Jane West works at her mother-in-laws adult store while raising two boys in a small town in Montana. The buff fireman is a hit with the boys and causes a zing to go through Jane. When one of the garage sale garden Gnomes gets broken, and almost stolen, Jane suddenly seems to be in the middle of the danger zone. Good thing there is a hunky fi
Lisa C.
Aug 30, 2014 Lisa C. rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: won-t-read-again
The cute little gnome that was on the cover of my book is gone to be replaced by a buffed, sexy guy. That's fine by me and probably for the better because the book had more sex than gnomes. I felt the gnome part of the story was almost an after thought to have a mystery woven among the bedroom scenes with the too-die-for guy next door.

Needed a good editor to fix the grammar and spelling issues. The story premise might have had hope had it not been for the ridiculousness of much of it. There was
Lee Anne - OMG! It's TOOOOO Cold!
What could possibly happen in small town Montana? Well, if you’re Jane West, quite a lot! Jane’s husband died several years ago while in Germany and in bed with another woman……..and her husband. Jane now works for her mother-in-law at her adult toy store, where she meets her hunky new neighbor, Fireman Ty.

It all begins innocently enough when Jane’s sons buy garden gnomes at a yard sale. A couple of nights later someone tries to steal the gnomes. When Jane goes back to scene of the purchase find
Kally
Feb 27, 2012 Kally rated it really liked it
Shelves: keepers
I love a great book. My tastes bounce all over the board just enjoying finding a new author or a new world. While many harp on Twilight, I read the whole series. Stephanie Meyer's did that something special all authors want to do-make a world their own, the twists, the turns, the special touches that resonate with readers. Now some of you are thinking "Oh no, not another vampire book." It's not. Actually other than to say that beautiful skill of storytelling, not all authors are blessed with it. ...more
Jemima Pett
Mar 04, 2012 Jemima Pett rated it really liked it
The trouble with stepping outside genres that you know you like is that you may find you don't like the experiment. Nothing in the blurb for this book prepared me for the adultness of the material - which I could cope with as the writing was funny, the heroine, Jane, was bright and sparky and full of self-doubt. And the fireman, as everyone says, is HOT. The competitor for her affections is so revoltingly stereotypical that one wonders why she doesn't throw up like I wanted to on most occasions. ...more
Debbie
Aug 25, 2012 Debbie rated it really liked it
This book is laugh out loud funny. There is no way the story line could happen but who cares. Loved that it is in Montana.

The sexual tension between Jane and Ty grows each time they are together and when they’re not. Jane’s mother-in-law decides to help things along (remember she owns an adult toy store). This only ratchets up the tension. No matter how many times Jane and Ty try to ease their sexual frustration, something gets in the way. Until, AT LAST, they get together and boy is it hot!

Jen
Lesley
Jul 25, 2013 Lesley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have had this book on my Kindle for about a year and a half, and I don't know why I hadn't read it before now, but I finished it today and absolutely loved it.

Jane has such a normal yet crazy life, that you can't help but laugh with her as she finds herself in strange and/or embarrassing situations time and time again. She's technically a widow, she was in the process of divorcing her cheating husband when he died and works at her mother-in-law's adult 'toy' store while raising her 2 young bo
Charlene
Dec 09, 2013 Charlene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Romance Lovers
I write romances - albeit romances that are in fantasy worlds with powerful fantastical heroines. However, because I write romances, I read a lot of romances. Romances are fun escapism.

Gnome on the Range was no exception. It was fun escapism. However, it had one thing going for it that I find rare in the romance genre.

You see, most romances have the hero and heroine in an unconventional, threatening or scary situation. The heroes are hunks (and I have no problem with that. I love a good hunk.)
A.R. Von
Mar 24, 2012 A.R. Von rated it it was amazing
I've never read anything like this before. Such a great read! I've also never laughed out loud so much from a book in my life! Each character was so realistic and each added their own touch and influence to the story. Every laugh came out of left field and was perfectly written to blend with each event of the story.

Ty is a great guy! Who does not love a fire fighter? He's afraid of loss due to past experiences and many losses due to his career. Because of this he is also afraid to get close to a
Kathy
Aug 29, 2016 Kathy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Read on my Kindle. She is a widow, living in Montana with two boys, working in her MIL's adult sex store. He is a new to the neighborhood fireman. When they meet each other, she feels a zing (mentioned several times) and he feels a bam. Inbetween getting to know each other, they discover who has been dealing meth all over town, and who murders some of the dealers.
Liz
While it was pretty easy to figure out what was going on with the mystery, I really could not understand Jane. Her willingness to get involved in any way shape or form with that Dex guy, while Ty was away and after proving he was crazy, made me annoyed.

Although I found her opinions on sex and bdsm pretty damn funny.... although I wanted more from the end than "let's just see how things go."
Bj Hawes
Dec 13, 2015 Bj Hawes rated it it was amazing
Absolutely Hilarious

This book will go down as one of my favorites. It kept me in stitches from the beginning through the end! Reading the part about the "party" to my husband, all the while laughing so hard tears ran down my face got a TMI from him with a snicker.
If you can handle the adult content you will thoroughly ENJOY this book!
  • Move Me (Hidden, #4)
  • Risk Is A Four-Letter Word (Four-Letter Word #1)
  • Neighbors and More (High Rise #1)
  • The Bro-Magnet (Nice Guy, #1)
  • Meg's Moment
  • Taming Angelina (The Temptation Saga, #4)
  • Love Revealed (The Market #1)
  • Montana Morning (Kilbourne Clan)
  • Dark Powers (Decorah Securities #4)
  • Tied and True (Satyr's Mist, #1)
  • Dirty Little Secrets (Marisela Morales/Dirty #1)
  • The Perfect Score
  • The Huntress
  • Hot Flash
  • Amazon Lily
  • Passion Patrol (Passion Patrol #1)
  • His Devious Angel (Angels with Attitude, #2)
  • Alice in Wonderland
Jennifer Zane has lived all over the country--from Georgia to Maryland, New York to Colorado, including an exciting five years in Montana. Her time in Big Sky country was the basis for this book. When she's not writing, she savors the insanity of raising two boys, is figuring out how many meals she can make with a pressure cooker, and teaches a pretty mean karate class. She currently lives with he ...more
More about Jennifer Zane...

The Gnome Series (3 books)
  • Gnomeless