Start by marking “Dragons Love Tacos” as Want to Read:
Dragons Love Tacos

Dragons Love Tacos

4.04  ·  Rating Details  ·  4,527 Ratings  ·  722 Reviews
This scrumptious New York Times bestseller has a whole lot of kick!

Dragons love tacos. They love chicken tacos, beef tacos, great big tacos, and teeny tiny tacos. So if you want to lure a bunch of dragons to your party, you should definitely serve tacos. Buckets and buckets of tacos. Unfortunately, where there are tacos, there is also salsa. And if a dragon accidentally ea
Published June 14th 2012 by Dial Books (first published January 1st 2012)

The Day the Crayons Quit by Drew DaywaltDragons Love Tacos by Adam RubinUnicorn Thinks He's Pretty Great by Bob SheaSparky! by Jenny OffillThe Adventures of Beekle by Dan Santat
Favorite Picture Books of 2013/2014
2nd out of 170 books — 87 voters
I Want My Hat Back by Jon KlassenExtra Yarn by Mac BarnettThe Day the Crayons Quit by Drew DaywaltTuesday Tucks Me In by Luis Carlos MontalvánSophie's Squash by Pat Zietlow Miller
Favorite MODERN Picture Books
17th out of 314 books — 126 voters

More lists with this book...

Jenna
Jan 07, 2013 Jenna rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book, dragons
I wouldn't say this is the best book in the world, but it is probably the best book on dragons loving tacos.

The illustrations are adorable. And the premise is cute -- dragons love tacos! And taco parties! We never actually find out WHY dragons love tacos, despite the question being asked. I guess the awesomeness of tacos is so obvious that the question doesn't need an answer.

But, whatever you do, don't feed them spicy salsa! The spicy salsa thing is actually what makes me hesitant to say that th
Jeremy West
Jan 19, 2014 Jeremy West rated it it was amazing
It's a truth universally acknowledged, that a single dragon in possession of a large appetite, must be in want of hundreds of tacos. And this humorous book has more than one dragon in it, meaning many, many tacos. This light-hearted, slightly absurd dragon story makes you want to read it aloud to a bunch of children making up all sorts of weird voices for each character. If you love tacos too, this book is most definitely for you.
Booknut
Jan 18, 2016 Booknut rated it really liked it
Do you love tacos? Well dragons love them too and this book gives you all the reasons why!

Book cover: This book cover is so adorable and hilarious - I can't get over all the tiny tacos!!

Thoughts: I know what you're thinking: what are you doing reading a picture book when you have a TBR pile of immeasurable size full of actual books to get to?

Well, although a grown up I may be, I have a weakness for adorable and witty picture books. And Dragons Love Tacos is a book that can be enjoyed by adults a
Kristi
Aug 18, 2015 Kristi rated it really liked it
Shelves: harper-read
Too cute!
Brina
Mar 01, 2016 Brina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
Even my older kids ask me to get this book periodically because they find this and Adam Rubin's other books hysterical.
Sasha
Dec 23, 2015 Sasha rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s, humor, food, 2015
I read this at the Young Readers Center when I was supposed to be shelving. It was amazing. Read it if you like tacos, dragons, being bossy, ruining nice things, and being a human with a pulse.
Punk
Nov 27, 2015 Punk rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
[1. Dragons--Fiction. 2. Tacos--Fiction. 3. Food habits--Fiction. 4. Humorous stories.]

Summary: Explores the love dragons have for tacos, and the dangers of feeding them anything with spicy salsa.

Boy, does it ever. Bright, cheerful illustrations of dragons and tacos. Tacos are just comedy gold, folks, and pair them with dragons who like costume parties and play charades and eat at Taco Cave and you've got a winner.

It will probably also really make you want a taco.
Nicole
Jan 20, 2014 Nicole rated it it was amazing
Dragons Love Tacos by Adam Rubin

Intended audience: preschool- kindergarten students

Adaptive book review citation:
(2012, June 1). School Library Journal. http://www.booksinprint2.com.leo.lib....

Opening Move:
The teacher or reader will ask the following questions in an attempt to raise questions and spark students' curiosity about dragons and taco parties.

1. Who has ever eaten a taco?
2. What do you like to put on your taco?
3. What do you think a dragon would like on a taco?

The reader will provide
Camie
Apr 17, 2015 Camie rated it really liked it
My grandson sneaked this to school in his backpack, to show his friends, and the teacher ended up reading it to the class (1st grade). He was really happy, and picky eater as he is , has decided that he also likes tacos. Cute book, although some of the words could be easier to better accommodate the age group which will most enjoy it . 4 stars from Gma 5 from Grandson.
Todd
Feb 10, 2015 Todd rated it it was amazing
This book was so insanely amazing and terrific and astounding and incredible and earth-shattering. Such an epic mind blowing story of an inspiring real creature... Dragons don't like spicy salsa, but love parties with boat loads of tacos. Profound truths to be learned here. Recommend to those seeking spiritual and existential enlightenment.
Brian
Jun 14, 2015 Brian rated it really liked it
I'm not sure what to make of this...but I like it.
Joella www.cinjoella.com
One boy learns that dragons love tacos. At one point the question is asked “Hey dragon, why do you guys love tacos so much?” But there is no answer given. Apparently dragons love tacos because they just do. So the boy goes out of his way to make a whole bunch of tacos for the dragons—to have a taco party. But dragons do not like spicy salsa…so he has to stay away from that. Although that is easier said than done. The “totally mild salsa” has some spicy jalapeno peppers in it…so the dragons end u ...more
Joannah
Jul 22, 2013 Joannah rated it really liked it
Did you know that dragons love tacos? They also love parties, and taco parties are their favorite kind of parties. In Dragons Love Tacos, you will find explicit instructions on how to throw your very own taco party that dragons will flock to, from how many tacos you’ll need: (buckets and pantloads, plus a boat full of tacos, according to the author), the kinds of toppings that dragons love, and their favorite types of tacos - great big tacos, itty bitty tacos, beef tacos, chicken tacos, various ...more
Melissa
Matt picked this up during our latest trip to Barnes & Noble, since, of course, he loves both dragons and tacos. He really embodies the illustration on the cover. It was a fun book, but it seemed to drag on longer than necessary, repeating some things a few times when once was sufficient. It explained how dragons love tacos, and the toppings they like, but they don't like hot spicy salsa - only mild salsa will do (the latter of which was repeated three times. I get it.) Then a little boy thr ...more
Kate
Apr 13, 2016 Kate rated it it was amazing
Dragons and tacos. What better combination is there? Over the course of the book, the reader learns just how much Dragons love Tacos but also the danger of feeding dragons spicy salsa. I think this could be a fun read for kids who don't like spicy things, as my nieces don't.
Lori Ann Reeve
Jun 29, 2015 Lori Ann Reeve rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dragons are a lot of fun...until...they eat spicy salsa!!

This story is very entertaining. It will grab your child's attention and not let go. It's about two things that kids love - tacos and friendly dragons who also love tacos, mild tacos. The descriptive vocabulary used in this book is wonderful. Words like chunky, spicy, crispy, smooth, definitely an opportunity for follow up activities using some of these words. The illustrations are fun and colorful. I enjoyed reading this book to my group
Heidi
Oh my. Such silliness. When you're in the mood for it, it's fabulous. I think school-age would really enjoy this. I'd have to think about it with the preschool, because the storyline is a little lost in all the "advice" about dragons. The kids might get confused and not be able to follow, though they'd probably get the humor. A good lap-read for the young and read-alone for the older.

7/13/15 Used in fitness center movement storytime. A little bit more reaction. And they liked that they could con
Jan 28, 2015 Sarah rated it really liked it
Dragons Love Tacos by Adam Rubin
Primary Picture Book (Independent)
Jack checked cooking as one of the things he’d like to know more about. He also mentions dragons three times in his interest inventory. Dragons Love Tacos is full of brightly colored illustrations of dragons of all sizes and shapes. The light and silly storyline centering around the importance of not feeding dragons spicy foods goes along with Jack’s preference for humorous books.

Hook: What happens to your mouth when you eat spicy
Faith
Apr 09, 2015 Faith rated it really liked it
Love the silliness of this book and the surprise at the end. Some nice repetition and great illustrations.
Courtney
Aug 13, 2015 Courtney rated it really liked it
Shelves: work-with-kids
My 3yro client's favorite part is about the fine print, she's pretty cute about it.
Brittany McCarty
Feb 15, 2016 Brittany McCarty rated it it was amazing
Guided Reading Level: L
Grade: 2
Lexile Level: 720
"Dragons Love Tacos" is the story of how dragons love tacos and why. We learn in the story that dragons love all different kinds of tacos such as beef and chicken tacos. They will eat any kind of taco you give them however it can't be spicy. If dragons are given spicy tacos and salsa, then they have some problems but that doesn't stop them from eating tacos with non-spicy salsa. Dragons also love having parties especially if there are a lot of tac
Liz
May 21, 2016 Liz rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
We love dragons and tacos. Thank you Ben
Maxbfunk
Opening: Hey kids! Who here loves tacos? How much do you love tacos? As much as dragons? Don't tell me you didn't know that dragons love tacos! But how much do they love tacos, and is there anything they can't eat on their tacos? Those are the real questions. Thanks to the silly narrator, a clear expert on dragons, and the brilliant artwork, look at that dog's face, you can know this and more in Dragons Love Tacos by Adam Rubin with art by Daniel Salmieri.

Opening Moves: questions to spark curios
Peacegal
Jun 08, 2012 Peacegal rated it liked it
Dragons Love Tacos is an unusual, clever picture book with a hipster sensibility.

Parents and teachers will have to decide for themselves whether the book's cleverness outweighs the storyline that celebrates consuming mass quantities of a food that often contains a lot of fat and calories.

Veg*n parents note: While your children no doubt enjoy many types of veggie tacos, only beef and chicken tacos are mentioned in this book.
Melissa
Dec 06, 2012 Melissa rated it it was ok
I remember seeing this earlier this year but I didn't even put it on Goodreads, that's how much of an impression it made. So when the NYTimes puts it on its Notable list, I put it on hold to look at it again. Guess what? Still not impressed. One joke stretched thin, and the illustrations and design are not adding much.
Amy
Oct 07, 2012 Amy rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, reviewed
My niece and nephew really enjoyed Dragons Love Tacos, and the illustrations in particular. It's funny, it's cute, and what little kid can't identify with dreading that dang spicy salsa? I have a feeling that this will not be the only time we read this story.
Kerry
Mar 13, 2015 Kerry rated it it was ok
Okay, so I love dragons with a passion so if there's a dragon involved you can bet I'm going to pick it up and give a try. This was just so disappointing. I couldn't even finish it. So sad. I'm happy the dragons love tacos, but I just didn't love the story.
Jessica
Oct 25, 2014 Jessica rated it it was amazing
A delightfully simple little story about dragons and how they love tacos, but cannot eat spicy food. So cute! And the simple illustrations are unexpectedly charming.
Donalyn
Clever, and I like both dragons and tacos, but the set-up for the surprise took too long.
Jillian
Nov 20, 2015 Jillian rated it really liked it
First and foremost, I want a t-shirt with this book's cover image on it. I want this picture to be my computer background. That dragon is the HAPPIEST dragon I've ever seen. That dragon gives me life.
Secondly, the taco party in the book falls on the date of my wedding anniversary. So I guess I know what we're doing every year on our anniversary from now on. TACOS! \o/

Basically, this book was great. It'll get the little ones giggling, the mid-sized ones guffawing, and the big ones chuckling. The
  • Have You Seen My Dragon?
  • Squid and Octopus Friends for Always
  • The Insomniacs
  • Oh No, George!
  • It's a Tiger!
  • hello! hello!
Adam Rubin is the New York Times best-selling author of a half dozen critically-acclaimed picture books including Those Darn Squirrels and Dragons Love Tacos. He spent ten years working as a creative director in the advertising industry before leaving his day job to write full time. Adam has a keen interest in improv comedy, camping and magic tricks. He lives in New York City.
More about Adam Rubin...