Start by marking “Dragons Love Tacos” as Want to Read:
Dragons Love Tacos

Dragons Love Tacos

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  3,268 ratings  ·  568 reviews
This scrumptious New York Times bestseller has a whole lot of kick!

Dragons love tacos. They love chicken tacos, beef tacos, great big tacos, and teeny tiny tacos. So if you want to lure a bunch of dragons to your party, you should definitely serve tacos. Buckets and buckets of tacos. Unfortunately, where there are tacos, there is also salsa. And if a dragon accidentally ea
Published June 14th 2012 by Dial Books (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Dragons Love Tacos, please sign up.

Maggie The book with no pictures is really funny if you have someone who reads it really funny - like if your son really wants to get into it. Love that…moreThe book with no pictures is really funny if you have someone who reads it really funny - like if your son really wants to get into it. Love that book!(less)
The Day the Crayons Quit by Drew DaywaltDragons Love Tacos by Adam RubinUnicorn Thinks He's Pretty Great by Bob SheaSparky! by Jenny OffillJourney by Aaron Becker
Favorite Picture Books of 2013/2014
2nd out of 166 books — 73 voters
I Want My Hat Back by Jon KlassenTuesday Tucks Me In by Luis Carlos MontalvánExtra Yarn by Mac BarnettThe Day the Crayons Quit by Drew DaywaltSophie's Squash by Pat Zietlow Miller
Favorite MODERN Picture Books
17th out of 299 books — 107 voters

More lists with this book...

Jenna
I wouldn't say this is the best book in the world, but it is probably the best book on dragons loving tacos.

The illustrations are adorable. And the premise is cute -- dragons love tacos! And taco parties! We never actually find out WHY dragons love tacos, despite the question being asked. I guess the awesomeness of tacos is so obvious that the question doesn't need an answer.

But, whatever you do, don't feed them spicy salsa! The spicy salsa thing is actually what makes me hesitant to say that th
Kristi
Too cute!
Jeremy West
It's a truth universally acknowledged, that a single dragon in possession of a large appetite, must be in want of hundreds of tacos. And this humorous book has more than one dragon in it, meaning many, many tacos. This light-hearted, slightly absurd dragon story makes you want to read it aloud to a bunch of children making up all sorts of weird voices for each character. If you love tacos too, this book is most definitely for you.
Punk
[1. Dragons--Fiction. 2. Tacos--Fiction. 3. Food habits--Fiction. 4. Humorous stories.]

Summary: Explores the love dragons have for tacos, and the dangers of feeding them anything with spicy salsa.

Boy, does it ever. Bright, cheerful illustrations of dragons and tacos. Tacos are just comedy gold, folks, and pair them dragons who like costume parties and play charades and eat at Taco Cave and you've got a winner.

It will probably also really make you want a taco.
Nicole
Dragons Love Tacos by Adam Rubin

Intended audience: preschool- kindergarten students

Adaptive book review citation:
(2012, June 1). School Library Journal. http://www.booksinprint2.com.leo.lib....

Opening Move:
The teacher or reader will ask the following questions in an attempt to raise questions and spark students' curiosity about dragons and taco parties.

1. Who has ever eaten a taco?
2. What do you like to put on your taco?
3. What do you think a dragon would like on a taco?

The reader will provide
Camie
My grandson sneaked this to school in his backpack, to show his friends, and the teacher ended up reading it to the class (1st grade). He was really happy, and picky eater as he is , has decided that he also likes tacos. Cute book, although some of the words could be easier to better accommodate the age group which will most enjoy it . 4 stars from Gma 5 from Grandson.
Todd
This book was so insanely amazing and terrific and astounding and incredible and earth-shattering. Such an epic mind blowing story of an inspiring real creature... Dragons don't like spicy salsa, but love parties with boat loads of tacos. Profound truths to be learned here. Recommend to those seeking spiritual and existential enlightenment.
Faith
Love the silliness of this book and the surprise at the end. Some nice repetition and great illustrations.
Brian
I'm not sure what to make of this...but I like it.
Maxbfunk
Opening: Hey kids! Who here loves tacos? How much do you love tacos? As much as dragons? Don't tell me you didn't know that dragons love tacos! But how much do they love tacos, and is there anything they can't eat on their tacos? Those are the real questions. Thanks to the silly narrator, a clear expert on dragons, and the brilliant artwork, look at that dog's face, you can know this and more in Dragons Love Tacos by Adam Rubin with art by Daniel Salmieri.

Opening Moves: questions to spark curios
Peacegal
Dragons Love Tacos is an unusual, clever picture book with a hipster sensibility.

Parents and teachers will have to decide for themselves whether the book's cleverness outweighs the storyline that celebrates consuming mass quantities of a food that often contains a lot of fat and calories.

Veg*n parents note: While your children no doubt enjoy many types of veggie tacos, only beef and chicken tacos are mentioned in this book.
Amy
My niece and nephew really enjoyed Dragons Love Tacos, and the illustrations in particular. It's funny, it's cute, and what little kid can't identify with dreading that dang spicy salsa? I have a feeling that this will not be the only time we read this story.
Lori Ann Reeve
Dragons are a lot of fun...until...they eat spicy salsa!!

This story is very entertaining. It will grab your child's attention and not let go. It's about two things that kids love - tacos and friendly dragons who also love tacos, mild tacos. The descriptive vocabulary used in this book is wonderful. Words like chunky, spicy, crispy, smooth, definitely an opportunity for follow up activities using some of these words. The illustrations are fun and colorful. I enjoyed reading this book to my group
Jessica
A delightfully simple little story about dragons and how they love tacos, but cannot eat spicy food. So cute! And the simple illustrations are unexpectedly charming.
Dragons Love Tacos by Adam Rubin
Primary Picture Book (Independent)
Jack checked cooking as one of the things he’d like to know more about. He also mentions dragons three times in his interest inventory. Dragons Love Tacos is full of brightly colored illustrations of dragons of all sizes and shapes. The light and silly storyline centering around the importance of not feeding dragons spicy foods goes along with Jack’s preference for humorous books.

Hook: What happens to your mouth when you eat spicy
Donalyn
Clever, and I like both dragons and tacos, but the set-up for the surprise took too long.
Cheryl
Brief Synopsis: Dragons Love Tacos is a fun brightly illustrated picture book. The Dragons love to party and eat tacos. However, dragons can't have hot, spicy, salsa on their tacos or catastrophe occurs.

Opening with primary Students: To use with primary grade students I would open with questions about whether or not they like tacos, what they like on their tacos, their favorite place to buy a taco! This will establish a common background of experiences between students and start a conversation a
Joella www.cinjoella.com
One boy learns that dragons love tacos. At one point the question is asked “Hey dragon, why do you guys love tacos so much?” But there is no answer given. Apparently dragons love tacos because they just do. So the boy goes out of his way to make a whole bunch of tacos for the dragons—to have a taco party. But dragons do not like spicy salsa…so he has to stay away from that. Although that is easier said than done. The “totally mild salsa” has some spicy jalapeno peppers in it…so the dragons end u ...more
Marilyn
Everyone loves a good party don't they? Everyone loves tacos right? Well put a great party together with tons of scrumptious tacos and the dragons will come out of their taco caves in droves to attend. This hilarious book puts a new spin on why there are fire-breathing dragons. The book begins by a random narrator saying, "Hey kid! Did you know that dragons love tacos? They love beef tacos and chicken tacos. They love really big gigantic tacos and tiny little baby tacos as well." He explains tha ...more
Joannah
Did you know that dragons love tacos? They also love parties, and taco parties are their favorite kind of parties. In Dragons Love Tacos, you will find explicit instructions on how to throw your very own taco party that dragons will flock to, from how many tacos you’ll need: (buckets and pantloads, plus a boat full of tacos, according to the author), the kinds of toppings that dragons love, and their favorite types of tacos - great big tacos, itty bitty tacos, beef tacos, chicken tacos, various ...more
Melissa
Matt picked this up during our latest trip to Barnes & Noble, since, of course, he loves both dragons and tacos. He really embodies the illustration on the cover. It was a fun book, but it seemed to drag on longer than necessary, repeating some things a few times when once was sufficient. It explained how dragons love tacos, and the toppings they like, but they don't like hot spicy salsa - only mild salsa will do (the latter of which was repeated three times. I get it.) Then a little boy thr ...more
Callie Rose Tyler
It's a shame that "taco party" can also mean something else, it distracted me because I sometimes have the mind of a 13 year old boy.

Besides that this is a very cute story about dragons even if it does seem to try a little too hard to be funny.
Kerry
Okay, so I love dragons with a passion so if there's a dragon involved you can bet I'm going to pick it up and give a try. This was just so disappointing. I couldn't even finish it. So sad. I'm happy the dragons love tacos, but I just didn't love the story.
I love tacos. Lots of people love tacos. So do dragons! This is a cute book about what happens when fire-breathing dragons accidentally eat some spicy salsa. If you are looking for a book to buy a 3-7 year old, you will surely find success in getting them this one.
Heidi
Oh my. Such silliness. When you're in the mood for it, it's fabulous. I think school-age would really enjoy this. I'd have to think about it with the preschool, because the storyline is a little lost in all the "advice" about dragons. The kids might get confused and not be able to follow, though they'd probably get the humor. A good lap-read for the young and read-alone for the older.

7/13/15 Used in fitness center movement storytime. A little bit more reaction. And they liked that they could con
Rob
Cute, I guess. But I could have done without the word "hate". (Also: I'd rather not need to explain "Good Samaritan" to the kids. "Nice" would have worked just fine.)
Jenn
Hey, Grownups! Kids love this book!! Seriously, I love this book it's funny and silly and I don't mind reading it ten times a day.
The Styling Librarian
Dragons Love Tacos by Adam Rubin, illustrated by Daniel Salmieri – HAH. I want to read this book aloud to classes! Fabulous one.
Laura McLoughlin
Great kids book! Kathryn loves pretty much any book that involves dragons. A great addition to any kid's bookshelf.
Patricia
I laughed aloud. The illustrations are great. Fun read. Also, I love tacos. Maybe I'm a dragon.
  • Buddy and the Bunnies: In Don't Play with Your Food
  • Squid and Octopus Friends for Always
  • King Arthur's Very Great Grandson
  • Boy + Bot
  • Have You Seen My Dragon?
  • I'm Bored
  • Penguin and Pinecone
  • Nightsong
  • Carnivores
  • Hooray for Hat!
Adam Rubin is the New York Times best-selling author of a half dozen critically-acclaimed picture books. He grew up outside of New York City, went to school at Washington University in St. Louis and spent his "formative" years in Chicago. Adam's interests include camping, 3D puzzles, improv comedy, nature documentaries and cartoons. He currently lives in Manhattan.
More about Adam Rubin...
Those Darn Squirrels! Secret Pizza Party Those Darn Squirrels and the Cat Next Door Big Bad Bubble Those Darn Squirrels Fly South