Dragons Love Tacos

Dragons Love Tacos

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  1,426 ratings  ·  323 reviews
This scrumptious New York Times bestseller has a whole lot of kick!

Dragons love tacos. They love chicken tacos, beef tacos, great big tacos, and teeny tiny tacos. So if you want to lure a bunch of dragons to your party, you should definitely serve tacos. Buckets and buckets of tacos. Unfortunately, where there are tacos, there is also salsa. And if a dragon accidentally e...more
Published June 14th 2012 by Dial (first published January 1st 2012)

The Day the Crayons Quit by Drew DaywaltDragons Love Tacos by Adam RubinUnicorn Thinks He's Pretty Great by Bob SheaTea Rex by Molly IdleHere Comes the Easter Cat by Deborah Underwood
Favorite Picture Books of 2013/2014
2nd out of 48 books — 29 voters
Dimity Duck by Jane YolenA Cuddle For Little Duck by Claire FreedmanIt's Quacking Time! by Martin Waddell?Como Dan Las Buenas Noches Los Dinosaurios? by Jane YolenDragons Love Tacos by Adam Rubin
Preschool-"D"
5th out of 29 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Jenna
I wouldn't say this is the best book in the world, but it is probably the best book on dragons loving tacos.

The illustrations are adorable. And the premise is cute -- dragons love tacos! And taco parties! We never actually find out WHY dragons love tacos, despite the question being asked. I guess the awesomeness of tacos is so obvious that the question doesn't need an answer.

But, whatever you do, don't feed them spicy salsa! The spicy salsa thing is actually what makes me hesitant to say that th...more
Punk
[1. Dragons--Fiction. 2. Tacos--Fiction. 3. Food habits--Fiction. 4. Humorous stories.]

Summary: Explores the love dragons have for tacos, and the dangers of feeding them anything with spicy salsa.

Boy, does it ever. Bright, cheerful illustrations of dragons and tacos. Tacos are just comedy gold, folks, and pair them dragons who like costume parties and play charades and eat at Taco Cave and you've got a winner.

It will probably also really make you want a taco.
Nicole
Dragons Love Tacos by Adam Rubin

Intended audience: preschool- kindergarten students

Adaptive book review citation:
(2012, June 1). School Library Journal. http://www.booksinprint2.com.leo.lib....

Opening Move:
The teacher or reader will ask the following questions in an attempt to raise questions and spark students' curiosity about dragons and taco parties.

1. Who has ever eaten a taco?
2. What do you like to put on your taco?
3. What do you think a dragon would like on a taco?

The reader will provide...more
Maxbfunk
Opening: Hey kids! Who here loves tacos? How much do you love tacos? As much as dragons? Don't tell me you didn't know that dragons love tacos! But how much do they love tacos, and is there anything they can't eat on their tacos? Those are the real questions. Thanks to the silly narrator, a clear expert on dragons, and the brilliant artwork, look at that dog's face, you can know this and more in Dragons Love Tacos by Adam Rubin with art by Daniel Salmieri.

Opening Moves: questions to spark curios...more
Peacegal
Dragons Love Tacos is an unusual, clever picture book with a hipster sensibility.

Parents and teachers will have to decide for themselves whether the book's cleverness outweighs the storyline that celebrates consuming mass quantities of a food that often contains a lot of fat and calories.

Veg*n parents note: While your children no doubt enjoy many types of veggie tacos, only beef and chicken tacos are mentioned in this book.
Amy
My niece and nephew really enjoyed Dragons Love Tacos, and the illustrations in particular. It's funny, it's cute, and what little kid can't identify with dreading that dang spicy salsa? I have a feeling that this will not be the only time we read this story.
Donalyn
Clever, and I like both dragons and tacos, but the set-up for the surprise took too long.
Joella www.cinjoella.com
One boy learns that dragons love tacos. At one point the question is asked “Hey dragon, why do you guys love tacos so much?” But there is no answer given. Apparently dragons love tacos because they just do. So the boy goes out of his way to make a whole bunch of tacos for the dragons—to have a taco party. But dragons do not like spicy salsa…so he has to stay away from that. Although that is easier said than done. The “totally mild salsa” has some spicy jalapeno peppers in it…so the dragons end u...more
Marilyn
Everyone loves a good party don't they? Everyone loves tacos right? Well put a great party together with tons of scrumptious tacos and the dragons will come out of their taco caves in droves to attend. This hilarious book puts a new spin on why there are fire-breathing dragons. The book begins by a random narrator saying, "Hey kid! Did you know that dragons love tacos? They love beef tacos and chicken tacos. They love really big gigantic tacos and tiny little baby tacos as well." He explains tha...more
Joannah
Did you know that dragons love tacos? They also love parties, and taco parties are their favorite kind of parties. In Dragons Love Tacos, you will find explicit instructions on how to throw your very own taco party that dragons will flock to, from how many tacos you’ll need: (buckets and pantloads, plus a boat full of tacos, according to the author), the kinds of toppings that dragons love, and their favorite types of tacos - great big tacos, itty bitty tacos, beef tacos, chicken tacos, various...more
Melissa
Matt picked this up during our latest trip to Barnes & Noble, since, of course, he loves both dragons and tacos. He really embodies the illustration on the cover. It was a fun book, but it seemed to drag on longer than necessary, repeating some things a few times when once was sufficient. It explained how dragons love tacos, and the toppings they like, but they don't like hot spicy salsa - only mild salsa will do (the latter of which was repeated three times. I get it.) Then a little boy thr...more
Jeremy West
It's a truth universally acknowledged, that a single dragon in possession of a large appetite, must be in want of hundreds of tacos. And this humorous book has more than one dragon in it, meaning many, many tacos. This light-hearted, slightly absurd dragon story makes you want to read it aloud to a bunch of children making up all sorts of weird voices for each character. If you love tacos too, this book is most definitely for you.
Jessica
A delightfully simple little story about dragons and how they love tacos, but cannot eat spicy food. So cute! And the simple illustrations are unexpectedly charming.
Barbara
Who knew that dragons are exceptionally fond of tacos but avoid spicy salsa. Unfortunately, a boy in the book carefully plans a taco party with no spiciness but fails to read the fine print on the mild salsa container until it’s too late. Despite his attempts to stop them from chomping on the tacos, the dragons chow down on salsa containing spicy jalapeno peppers, and their fiery breaths destroy his house. This amusing fantasy tale and its watercolor, gouache, and color pencil illustrations migh...more
Sara ♥
Ummm... I have NO IDEA why I added this book to my to-read list last year, but I saw it at the library a couple months ago and read it because it looked so dang cute! And it was! It was about a bunch of dragons who LOVE tacos, but are allergic to, or maybe spit fire when they eat, ANYTHING spicy. And of course, where there are tacos, there is salsa! BEWARE!

But, of course, ANY book that features both dragons and taco parties is destined to be awesome! It was super cute! :)
Kellie Murphy
I found this book while searching in the magic and fantasy section of the children's books. It is a best seller, so obviously pretty popular with kids. It isn't really a "fairy tale" in the way a story about a Disney princess would be, but still fits pretty well under the folk tale/fairy tale category. It is quirky and fun, with adorable pictures. The story is about dragons who love tacos, but not spicy salsa. The story sets up so that the dragons eat spicy salsa and wind up burning down the boy...more
Heidi
Oh my. Such silliness. When you're in the mood for it, it's fabulous. I think school-age would really enjoy this. I'd have to think about it with the preschool, because the storyline is a little lost in all the "advice" about dragons. The kids might get confused and not be able to follow, though they'd probably get the humor. A good lap-read for the young and read-alone for the older.
Melissa
I remember seeing this earlier this year but I didn't even put it on Goodreads, that's how much of an impression it made. So when the NYTimes puts it on its Notable list, I put it on hold to look at it again. Guess what? Still not impressed. One joke stretched thin, and the illustrations and design are not adding much.
Cheryl
Brief Synopsis: Dragons Love Tacos is a fun brightly illustrated picture book. The Dragons love to party and eat tacos. However, dragons can't have hot, spicy, salsa on their tacos or catastrophe occurs.

Opening with primary Students: To use with primary grade students I would open with questions about whether or not they like tacos, what they like on their tacos, their favorite place to buy a taco! This will establish a common background of experiences between students and start a conversation a...more
Jeanne
Okay, so maybe it doesn't exactly deserve four stars, but it made me chuckle. I like books that take an idea and run with it, no matter how ridiculous the idea. So, there you go. Invite dragons over, but don't feed them spicy toppings on the tacos. Don't say I didn't warn you.
Reed
This is the finest piece of literature ever created. It has tacos in it. It also has dragons in it. It will make you laugh. It will probably not make you cry, unless you are deadly afraid of dragons and/or tacos and are of the temperament that tends to cry when afraid.
Angie
A definite one we'll need for the school collection, though I don't necessarily see myself using it in a "storytime" or lesson.

Maybe, though. Come close to Fiesta and cinco de mayo I might change my mind.

It's just silly fun.
The Book Maven
“The way to a dragon’s heart is always through his stomach…” proclaims the back cover of this goofy book, but be sure not to give the dragons anything spicy! Robbie learns this the hard way when he invites all his beloved dragon friends over for a Taco Party, and despite his best efforts, ends up serving “Totally Mild Salsa…now with Spicy Jalapeno Peppers!” The results are dismaying in the least…But at least we know now why dragons breathe fire .

Watercolor illustrations and plenty of endearing f...more
A great read aloud for my 3rd grader to read to me--especially since he loves tacos and anything spicy. And was I ever proud when he figured out "jalapeno" without any coaching.
Christina
I love tacos. I love dragons. Dragons love tacos.
I love dragons that love tacos.
Oh, but they hate spicy salsa for obvious reasons.
Kim
Absolutely adorable! Great story on sharing, friendship and a little more. Boys and girls will howl in delight!
Amanda
Couldn't resist recommending my favorite children's book of the moment... Mostly because I love tacos. And dragons.
Nikki
If spicy salsa wasn't such a problem, 5 stars would have been an easy choice. So many questions left unanswered.....
Kim
Bought this for Tim last year--it's amazing. Every taco lover should have a copy.
Jennifer Rummel
really cute and funny - can't wait to share it with my niece this weekend!
  • It's a Tiger!
  • Scaredy Squirrel Goes Camping
  • Zorro Gets an Outfit
  • Pete the Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons
  • The Insomniacs
  • Nugget and Fang: Friends Forever--or Snack Time?
  • Waking Dragons
Adam Rubin is a New York Times best-selling author of children's stories. He lives in New York City, went to school at Washington University in St. Louis and spent his "formative" years in Chicago. Adam's interests include puzzles, camping, magic tricks, improv comedy, 3D printing, fine dining and cartoons.
More about Adam Rubin...
Those Darn Squirrels! Secret Pizza Party Those Darn Squirrels and the Cat Next Door Those Darn Squirrels Fly South Big Bad Bubble