While You Were Dead

While You Were Dead (Black Fire Series #1)

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  237 ratings  ·  42 reviews
WINNER: Readers' Crown contest for Best Romantic Suspense. To be qualified to earn the coveted prize, a book (published in 2011), must score higher than 8.0 on twenty questions provided to six randomly selected reader judges. This year's winners were the best of the best!

NEW FORMATTING!

Lies have consequences…

Twelve years ago, Max Crayton had no choices. Honor bound to hunt...more
Published September 24th 2011

To ask other readers questions about While You Were Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about While You Were Dead

Steffi
For a while I didn’t read any romantic-suspense, even though it’s my favorite romance genre. The reason being that I was annoyed by the predictable plots and boring revelations of something I’ve known since page 10. You see, I was quite annoyed and in a real RS funk. So much so, that when I first picked up While You Were Dead, I didn’t get past the first 20 pages. I just wasn’t in the mood and that can happen but when I felt the time had come to give romantic suspense another try, I returned to...more
Anne OK
New-to-me-author whose debut book in her "Black Fire" romantic suspense series hooked me from the beginning. A complex, high-intensity romantic suspense carries a dark and gritty tale in a fast-paced storyline, including flashbacks. Well-defined and captivating characters, both lead and secondary, pack a wallop of emotions. This was a hit with me and I've already downloaded the second book for my next reading selection. Would recommend without reservation.
Anita
This is my first read by this author and I could not stop reading this once I started! Kat and Max have loved and lost each other due to Max's dedication to his job/country. Kat and everyone else is lead to believe that he died. He come's back from the dead after his mission is completed. Ice as he was known is retired and he adjusts back to civilian life and getting to know his few remaining relatives again. Kat and Max are thrown together by an evil man who is out to destroy them both. It take...more
Becky
I would give this book a 10 if I could. I haven't read a more exciting book in years. The story of a famly coming together under the worse circumstances. The romance is great, but the suspense and drama are awesome. I never knew what would happen on the next page. How these men can go inside themselves to find ruthlessness was beyond me. I never wanted to put this book down. The characters were all so unique and intersting. I can't wait to read the next book in this series. I need to read this o...more
Mara
Romantic suspense

I struggled with the story's opening. I struggled with the story. Period. At 80% mark I simply stopped. I never really cared.

A story settles its relationship with its readers in the first pages. If it blunders there, it's difficult (not impossible, but very difficult) to rise. I found impossible to believe in the setting of this book.

I don't find romantic living ten years of one's life in deep mourning over a man that has already ditched you (badly). I think it sad and in this...more
Kathleen
Heat Level 2 Stars
Action Level 4 Stars
The who is the bad guy factor 5 Stars
Overall Rating 5 Stars

The story was good all the way through but when things really started moving it AMAZED ME! I had NO idea who the bad guy's were until C.J wanted us to know and then when we found out we found out again, hahahaha. I don't want to give the story up so you will just have to read it yourself.

I really liked the ch...more
Kally
This author is a friend of mine, so I debated throwing my thoughts out on this beyond the stars. WHILE YOU WERE DEAD, I have been blessed to see grow into a novel you just don't want to put down, into a book in a series you yearn for more. Definitely recommend
Aly Hackett
A disjointed mess for me. I never got invested in the characters and the story just never flowed.
Kellie is a bookwhoreasaurus

I picked this up on Amazon for free. It was a sweet read, but a someone who loves to read about Hot Military men (Black Ops Inc kinda books) and shit like that it just didn't hit the mark for me. It is going to be made into a series and if the next one is free I will probarly read it but won't go out and buy it.

It was just missing..... something that I can't put my finger on.

Max Crayton was dead. Kat went to his funeral. She is pregnant. No-one knows of her and Max's past.
She had lost the love...more
Becky
I liked it. Amazon has some not so great reviews, but they have more to do with the Author defending her book to someone who gave a not so great review. It was a little unrealistic, but hey, I don't read fiction for 100% accuracy, I read it to be entertained, and this book achieved that goal. In fact, I sat out in a cold car for an extra 20 min or so, just because I couldn't put it down at the climax! It's fairly well written, no huge issues there. Looking forward to number 2!
Renee
Free on my Kindle. A very good page-turner of a book! I was up until 12:30 last night finishing! I liked the characters and the action. I'm not elevating to a five only because sometimes I got a little lost in the dialogue and had to start over to figure who was saying what. Not a big deal.
Cathy
I liked the characters; but I also agree that its hard not to get a little lost in the dialogue and found myself startig over to figure who was saying what. Otherwise, I liked the premise of the story and from the middle to the end, I found it hard to put down.
Robbie
What a great read! The characters were well-developed, likeable, intelligent and with some unexpected twists in the plot toward the end - everything you need for a can't-put-it-down action-filled mystery. Looking forward to reading more by this author.
Orlando
This was a very good book.... I liked the "down to earth" banter of the characters... I felt like I was right there at times... Cant wait to read the next book in this series... I read the except of Maverick and it also sounds very interesting ....
poty
I don't know how to describe why I didn't like it. It all started with how a 10 yo speaks... I couldn't get over it and from there everything spiraled down, I kept moving on skipping chapters at a time just to read the end.
Juliette Brandt
This book was so exciting. I didn’t want to put it down. The action was intense, but not overwhelming. Read the rest of this review here: http://paperbacksandfrosting.com
Karla
Really liked the story line and character interaction. Writing was good but had a few spots that could use a little more expansion.
Angela
Very good book, when you thought you knew who was doing what, you find out your wrong. Most certainly worth reading.
Barbara
Poor plot, poor motivation for the characters. I guess it was free on Kindle for a reason.
Kathy Brackin
Great story a bit slow in some parts kind of dragged
Gina
this was pretty good!
Julie
**MINOR SPOILERS** **YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED**

This is another book that I downloaded when it was on a free promo. I love romantic suspense and this looked right up my alley. I liked the characters. Kat was a good heroine, who (mostly) didn't engage in TSTL moments. Max was a likable and competent hero, and I thought the two characters had chemistry. The kid was cute, but not *too* cute. Yes, you gals know what I'm talking about...

But there were several plot points that didn't work for me. I don't u...more
Lisa Tortorello
At what lengths would you go to keep those you love safe? Would you give up your child? Would you kill? Would you disappear?

Kat 's dad was killed when she was still a child. She lives with that pain even today. Her mother, who claims to be innocent, still sits in jail for his murder. Kat wonders if her mother's insanity is genetic and decides early on never to take the risk of finding out by having children of her own. Imagine her dilemma then when she falls in love and realizes she is pregnant...more
Dena
Ok so we have Max (Ice) who is a special forces person and does undercover sniper work. He has been working undercover to get to the traitor who has been killing their brothers. So now he is trying to get to Blade however he meets up with Kat. She is a college student he is teaching while undercover. They have undeniable chemistry and he starts a realtionship with her.

Kat is niursing her own stuff like a father being killed by her mother (allegedly) and now finding out her lover is dead. She fa...more
Sherry Gomes
Ok, this was fabulous. Normally, I can figure out books like this pretty easily and in advance of the big reveal in the story. But this one had so many unexpected twists, and just when I'd think, ok, it's that person, so now we're cool, then some other twist would bring a new dynamic into the story. By the final reveal, I only got there just before the hero, and was just saying, no way it can't be, of course it is, as the hero was figuring it out. It was breathless and wonderful and very much a...more
Sheila
I feel like I need to say a little something about this book since I gave it only two stars. It was a good book, the writing was good and the story was good, it just wasn't a book that I liked as far as what I prefer to read. I would categorize this more as suspense and much less as romantic suspense (which is what I prefer). However, don't let my two star rating scare you off, if you like suspense, you will likely really enjoy this book.
Becky
I am TOTALLY in love with this book. Not going to write an actual review due to spoilers, but I am so happy that this is, apparently, going to be a series. I can NOT wait to devour the next one as I did this one.

Great read. Excellent plot, good twists, great characters. Love it!
A Full Bookshelf
This book was not what I expected! I picked it up for free from amazon, but definitely would have paid for it!

It was fantastic, compelling and had me on the edge of my seat. It was a thrill ride through and through!
Wendy
Dec 24, 2012 Wendy added it
A little confusing at times. Dialogue seemed to jump at places and left the reader having to fill in the gaps. Overall, enjoyable but could have been better.
Cathy
This was a real thrill ride! Enjoyed the characters and storyline. One of those "good guys become bad guys and bad guys aren't so bad".
The Free Book Cha...: While You Were Dead, by C.J. Snyder 1 22 Dec 16, 2012 11:43AM
  • i2
  • Tell Me When It Hurts
  • On Ice
  • Just Evil (Evil Secrets Trilogy, #1)
  • The Scavenger's Daughter: A Tyler West Mystery
  • The Ninth District   A Thriller (Volume 1)
  • Double Bind
  • Pushed Too Far
  • Grave Situation
  • Stroganov (Darby Stansfield #2)
  • The Shekinah Legacy (Charlotte Ansari, #1)
  • Family Ties (A Cop in the Family, #2)
  • The Abduction of Mary Rose
  • Sleeping Roses (Dead Roses, #1)
  • Under the Moon's Shadow (Shadows Collection/Leroy's Sins, #2)
  • Lost In Italy (Italy Intrigue, #1)
  • The Huntress
  • Too Close for Comfort (Loveswept)
Dead Reckoning Maverick