3.38 of 5 stars 3.38  ·  rating details  ·  237 ratings  ·  49 reviews
Moby Dick meets Duel in John Love''s debut novel of Space Opera and Military Science Fiction! Faith is the name humanity has given to the unknown, seemingly invincible alien ship that has begun to harass the newly emergent Commonwealth. 300 years earlier, the same ship destroyed the Sakhran Empire, allowing the Commonwealth to expand its sphere of influence. But now Faith...more
Published (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Faith, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Faith

Zachary Jernigan
OBJECTIVE RATING (my best stab at looking at the book's merits, regardless of whether or not I enjoyed it all that much): 4.5

PERSONAL RATING (how much the book "worked" for me personally): 5

Wow. Uh, wow. That was my reaction upon finishing this stellar debut from 2012. Undoubtedly, not everything works in the narrative -- the battles are far too long and navel-gazey; the science of space travel is so wrong at times that even I recognized it; and the events of the first 100 pages often wore on...more
Justin

Heard of this one? Probably not. It's been pretty under the radar for book due out in less than three weeks. Seriously, go Google it. Now try the author's name. What'd you come up with? Not much, I bet. All I could find was an erudite i09 piece and the corresponding Amazon.com and Nightshadebooks.com pages. The Goodreads.com page doesn't even have cover art for crying out loud. All of that goes to say, more people need to be talking about Faith. Jove Love'...more
Nathan
Fantasy Review Barn

The reviewer is obviously stuck on this review. He even used a ‘Goodreads’ summery to start the review, and he never does that. He has been staring at the opening to his review of ‘Faith’ for so long he has started talking to himself. Worse, some kind of internal narrator has turned on. Let’s zoom in closer and see if we can listen in.

The worst part is I don’t even know if I liked the book or not. On the whole I mean. Obviously I liked, even loved some of it, but did I enjoy...more
Paul Nelson
The blurb on the back cover attracted me to this book.
An alien ship called Faith versus the commonwealth represented by the outsider vessel the Charles Manson commanded by Foord and his bunch of sociopaths.
The first 100 pages or so are wasted on Foords journey across land to get back to the Charles Manson to take off and do battle with Faith. Although partly necessary for story setting and character building it seemed to drag pointlessly.
From there onwards the story focuses on the battle, this...more
Steve Skojec

Faith

A year ago, I read about an upcoming Sci-Fi novel about a battle between two indestructible spaceships. The novel is called Faith, and according to io9, thePublisher's Marketplace description of the book was as follows:
a sci-fi mix of Moby Dick and the classic movie Duel, in which an unknown, invincible, Kafkaesque alien ship has returned 300 years after breaking one galactic empire to now threaten the human Commonwealth, and the best and brightest minds that are sent in a invincible ship of t
Jared Millet
John Love's impressive debut cobbles together a bunch of older ideas into something that feels like the freshest space-battle book I've read in a long time. The premise is from Saberhagen's Berserker stories: a mysterious, unstoppable spaceship appears from nowhere, makes no attempt to communicate, and lays waste to civilizations. Those sent to stop it are a Dirty Dozen mix of criminals and malcontents who, because of their evil natures, are able to conceive of and do things that the traditional...more
Jon
When reading this book (I read it in three sessions), my mind wandered as to what kind of former book it most likely was "like."

This is definitely not really space opera. Yes, it is spaceships battling each other, as in a space opera (I love space opera), but that isn't really what it is ABOUT. It is about... well ... hmm hard to describe.

Really, need to read it to understand. The closest book I can describe it to was/is Blindsight. Like that book, there is often the mood of despair, of an alien...more
Carl Duzett
I bought Faith because it had an awesome cover, a pretentious title, and a sweet premise on the back of the book. A super powerful ship visited a civilization 100 years ago and then left, and ever since then that civilization has gone into decline. Now it's returned, and the human civilization is determined to fight it off via epic space battle with their own super awesome ship stuffed with felonious geniuses (not to be confused with felinious geniuses; that would be altogether a different book)...more
Tudor Ciocarlie
After I've finished Faith, I was absolutely exhausted. 300 pages of one space battle between two invincible space-ships. But what an interesting journey: the mysteries of the alien ship, the silence of space, the darkness of characters, the uncompromising ending.
Jacqie
Pure space opera. Faith kept me reading breathlessly through the whole book. After about the first hundred pages, it's really just one gigantic space battle, ship to ship. The crew of the Charles Manson, an Outsider class ship, take on Faith, also known as Her. Faith is an enigmatic ship that has led to the decline of one civilization and has appeared again after about 300 years. It is feared that She will destroy another burgeoning empire if She is allowed to continue.

An Outsider class ship is...more
John
At its best, a splendid tale of two warships dooking it out in an extended battle across a solar system. The good parts are, however, intertwined with wordy psychological probes of the characters and overly detailed descriptions of inscrutable events--but what really spoiled it for me was the author's near total disregard for the laws of physics (he has ships stopping and turning in space) and a concept of battle that is little different from old timey naval engagements, with ships whaling away...more
Nick
The bad news: a trite conclusion and a muddled but very simple plot: the bulk of the novel is a running space battle between two armed ships. At times, the weapons used seem mystical and magic rather than technological. And, really, we spend too much time inside the heads of the human ship's officers.

The good news: two very interesting alien species and excellent writing. I'm not sorry I read this, but I will read reviews before investing in Love's second novel.
Tom
3.25 stars.

Good ideas but utterly loathsome characters. I guess that's the point? But I still didn't enjoy that aspect of the book. Also there's an utterly tedious middle section which is over a hundred pages of "Let's try and shoot Her with this gun! Oh that didn't work. Okay let's try and shoot Her with this gun! Oh that didn't work. Okay let's try..." and so on.

I liked the last 20% or so much more than the rest of the book.
Zozo
I couldn't put this book down, it wouldn't let me go. This is how a book should be written: I just needed to know what would happen and all the while I enjoyed the writing. I don't like the title though.
It had its weaknesses, all forgivable. And of course I knew by the middle that there could be no satisfying ending, not to a book of this magnitude.

In short: highly recommended space suspense with extremely well-built characters.
Jedi Wright
Mar 27, 2012 Jedi Wright rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jedi by: n/a
Looks like a promising new writer and series from one of my favorite indie publishers: Night Shade Books.

Ironically, since owning www.nightshadepress.com, was sent some of their manuscripts by accident some years back, which is how I ended up getting turned on to their catalog.

On that note, time to read...

James
One of the best science fiction books I have ever read. It also hits on some very deep philosophical and sociological levels.
Faith is a book that was able to immediately grab my interest, and keep me interested til the end of the book. The book started out with the mysterious ship Faith reappearing in the systems where it sparked the decline of an empire three hundred years previously. This part was fascinating for both the glimpse of the world it provided and the questions it raised, but as another reviewer commented it didn't seem strictly necessary to the book since the rest of the book deals with the battle betwee...more
Josh
This is a good hardcore space sci-fi, along the traditional (but wonderful) lines that humanity cannot understand what is out there, and probably shouldn't try too hard lest such flickers of understanding destroy us.

The general premise is that there is a ship, or something that appears to be a ship, that visits interstellar civilizations and destroys portions of their militaries. It never attacks non-threatening targets. Then it leaves.

After it leaves, the civilizations inevitably go into social...more
David Fernau
(Originally reviewed on Otherwhere Gazette)

I really wanted to like this book. Really, I did. I plodded along until the end, hoping that the answer to the riddle would end up being worth all the difficulty of reading it. Unfortunately, it didn’t, but I am getting ahead of myself.

Faith by John Love had a lot of promise for a science fiction fan. Futuristic technology, alien cultures, and a ship — named Faith by the aliens that first encountered it — that attacks planets for a reason no one can det...more
Guillaume Jay
Seul le Charles Manson peut arrêter la Foi. [sic]
Il y a 300 ans, un navire non identifié a visité l'Empire Sakhran et l'a laissé en ruine. Un Sakhran a transformé cette expérience en un livre sacré, devenu la religion de sa race, et conduisant leur empire dans un lent et accepté déclin. De nos jour, ce vaisseau, renommé Foi, revient, menaant la Communauté humaine. La seule chose qui peut la retenir est un navire spéciale, le Charles Manson, conçu dans ce but, et contenant un équipage de psychoti...more
Jeff Raymond
I've been reading so much fantasy as of late that I was starting to wonder if I lost my taste for good sci-fi. The last few I tried to pick up didn't sit well with me at all, and I had high hopes for this one based on some reviews.

The bad: it starts out slow, and, frankly, kind of ridiculous. There's good concepts about this mysterious ship that essentially made a civilization regress centuries with how soundly it defeated them, and the ship, known as Faith to those in the system, is back. We ha...more
Jeff Miller
Quite an intriguing book from a first time author. Starts rather slow and a bit confused and then builds up in the battle between two indestructible warships. This part of the book reminded me of submarine novels where there are many aspects of attack, deception, counter-attack, hiding, with multiple tactics as the two ships fight it out. A submarine novel on steroids with great SF aspects. Considering that most of the characters are deeply flawed and not very likable, I still enjoyed this novel...more
Mike Gilbert
Sometimes a science fiction book is a great read not because it is ground breaking, but because the execution is excellent. This is one of those books. It takes place on a ship. There's a bridge crew that serve as the stars of the story - including an alien first officer. John Love builds a few alien cultures and describes the political landscape of the future. There's a big bad guy (in this case another ship). And you even see the big bad guy through the eyes of some other, short lived characte...more
Stefan
Three hundred years ago, a strange and seemingly invincible alien ship visited the Sakhran Empire. Exactly what happened is unclear, because the events were only recorded in the Book of Srahr, a text only Sakhrans are allowed to read. After the ship left, the Sakhran Empire went into a slow but irreversible decline.

Three centuries later, the Sakhrans have been assimilated into the larger interstellar empire known as the Commonwealth, when suddenly the strange, immensely powerful ship returns. Th...more
Jason Walsh
This was a kick ass book. I loved the technology, the characters (in that I liked none of them but stayed curious about them at the same time), and the big reveal ending. The contrast between the technology of the spaceships and some of the low tech planet side scenes was really interesting to me, and the contrast between what a band of heros 'should be' and what they are in this book are when kept me reading. Myself, i found the writing to be....unique, sometimes a tad overdone or confusing, bu...more
Михаил Абаджиев
„Вяра” е дебютният научно- фантастичен роман на Джон Лав. Без угризения мога да кажа, че на места това си личи, но ще стигна и до там. Историята е нещо средно между "Моби Дик", "Соларис" и типичната спейс опера. Имаме Галактическа Федерация с приобщени и интегрирани множество видове извънземни, стотици населени планети и т.н. Изведнъж обаче, в тази космическа идилия се появява неунищожим космически кораб с неясен произход, който тероризира цивилизации от Федерацията. Цялото ревю тук:
"Вяра" от Дж...more
Graeme Williams
The first half is wonderful. The premise is clear and the plot balances suspense and action. Although I found some of the sentences awkward, at the paragraph level and above the construction is excellent.

At about the halfway point however, the wheels fall off and it all becomes soupy and mystical. Perhaps if you like this sort of thing, you'll like this too, but I'm afraid I didn't.
Ethan
A solid space opera with a blend of action and psychological-philosophy. Vaguely reminiscent of Stanislaw Lem's "Solaris" in tat it's as much a meditation on humanity as it is a scifi novel.

Also, terribly titled not because it doesn't relate to the actual book but because "Faith" is pretty much un-searchable in that there are so many books with the word in their title.
Aaron
The premise is good, but the author seem to lack the craft to cut a strong story. The started strong, but began to wander and lose the focus of the plot but the midway point. The ending is anti climatic and you left feeling like you missed getting the last bowl of ice cream. Overall, it was an okay read, but it could have been executed much better.
Brandon
A mysterious starship terrorizes the interstellar Commonwealth. Humanity's last hope is a lone ship of its own piloted by loners, outcasts, and psychopaths. The book is basically one long fight between two starships, but its great strength is the characterization of its protagonists. These characters will stick with you, distasteful as many of them may be.
  • Exogene (The Subterrene War, #2)
  • In the Mouth of the Whale (The Quiet War, #3)
  • Fire with Fire (Tales of the Terran Republic, #1)
  • Crash Course (Hover Car Racer, #1)
  • Beyond the Rift
  • Arctic Rising
  • Infidel (Bel Dame Apocrypha, #2)
  • Seed
  • The Sundering (Dread Empire's Fall, #2)
  • Blue Remembered Earth (Poseidon's Children, #1)
  • Up Against It
  • Miserere: An Autumn Tale
  • Debatable Space
  • Sharps
  • The Winds of Khalakovo (Lays of Anuskaya, #1)
  • Osiris (The Osiris Project, #1)
  • The Troupe
  • Ack-Ack Macaque
MC Donalds - Edicion Economica - (Spanish Edition) Penguins Positional Ideas in Chess The Touch Code: [Poems] Jesus