Start by marking “Wormwood” as Want to Read:
Wormwood

Wormwood (Wormwood #1)

In the post-apocalyptic paranormal thriller, Wormwood by D. H. Nevins, the Earth has been decimated by a legion of half-angels. But while most of these creatures are bent on sending all humans to their final resting place, one, Tiamat, is tormented by the tasks he is called upon to do. When he rescues a woman named Kali, both their lives change forever.

Kept alive by the g
ebook, 1st Edition
Published September 24th 2011 by Black Wraith Books

To ask other readers questions about Wormwood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wormwood

D.H. Nevins
Aug 30, 2011 D.H. Nevins rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
5 Stars! Heh, heh... I'm a little biased, but still, I should be able to rate my own book, right?
Midu Hadi
Jan 17, 2012 Midu Hadi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who wouldn't mind a religious flavor in their PA books
The author was kind enough to give me a copy of her book and too sweet to ask for a review. So here goes:
the book was the right length and I didn't mind the cliffhanger at the end because the main conflict of the book was resolved.
I really liked Kali-how she fought to stay alive and never gave up. Her optimism was her strength. However, she showed the typical YA heroine indecisiveness- I love Tiamat, I hate him.
Another thing I found to be odd was that Kali wasn't a religious person yet she seem
Kathleen
I have a confession. Before reading Wormwood, I was not a huge fan of either post-apocalypse and/or angel storylines. But I heard so many wonderful things about this book that I had to put aside my previous likes and dislikes and give this one a go. And boy am I glad that I did! I cannot say enough about Wormwood. D.H. Nevins did a beautiful job setting up this story to feel like you are right there with Kali as the apocalypse is happening. She is a really strong, independent chick who was put i ...more
Misty Battle
Aug 20, 2013 Misty Battle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I contacted this author about doing a book review on her book Wormwood. I stepped outside my genre in hopes of finding something fresh for my mind to absorb. The reviews preexisting were fabulous, so I had to get my hands on a copy of this book. Not to mention the trailer left you wanting to know the main characters, their struggles, and how it ended. I was pleasantly surprised that the book immediately jumped into the action. There was no long build-up I am used to. It grabbed your attention fr ...more
Brandee Price
Jan 12, 2014 Brandee Price rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wormwood is a post-apocalyptic tale told through the eyes of one who survived it, as she interacts with the one who was the implement of all the destruction. It is a gripping tale with so many plot twists and turns. It is grim and bleak, but imparted with gorgeous prose.

Kali Michaels, our heroine, is enjoying a hike in the woods around her home when the world begins to disintegrate around her. Making her way to a ridge, while dodging falling trees and boulders, she comes across a man she met 10
Jeannie Walker
Jun 11, 2012 Jeannie Walker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The mythical creatures in this novel are larger than life. The author shows the readers glimpses that the main character, Kali Michaels, is a strong and fascinating woman. Early in her life, she meets a man with whom she feels a strong attachment. Her world turns upside down when years later she finds the same man standing in the same place on the mountain peak. She learns he is a half-human, half-angel that helped destroy Earth to send God's children home for judgment. Kali learns many things f ...more
Jonathon Dyer
May 12, 2013 Jonathon Dyer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Before I begin this review, and in the spirit of full disclosure, I would mention that while I have never met the author face to face (we live on opposite sides of the planet), I have nonetheless had occasion to exchange emails with Ms Nevins, via Goodreads, and have found her to be a charming and thoughtful correspondent. This review is based on the Kindle edition of her novel, Wormwood. I bought that copy through Amazon.com (for an unreasonably low 99c) and read it on my Kindle. Ms Nevins has ...more
Laura Thomas
Jul 05, 2012 Laura Thomas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In the beginning you are introduced to Kali. She is a trail guide at Pinecrest National Park. A quiet hike up to her favorite spot, Lookout Peak, starts out normally enough, but a light breeze quickly becomes a tree snapping gale. The once clear skies have turned a heavy gray-black, the clouds tumbling over each other as they race towards her.
This would not be so bad if the woods hadn't suddenly gone silent. Not a sound could be heard. The winds had stopped and all was still. Not even a bird son
Beth
100 Nephilim, super powerful half human half angels beings, are given the task to clean the earth of all human life. It is judgment day, and the Nephilim are tasked with returning all humans to their spiritual forms. Kali, in an attempt to escape the devastation, runs a trail to the top of a cliff where she finds Tiamat, someone she met 10 years prior. Tiamat, is actually one of the Nephilim who has destroyed her world and even killed her father. Tiamat struggles with his mission because he has ...more
Mike Berry
Nov 21, 2011 Mike Berry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wormwood is D.H.Nevins' first novel, and quite simply it's a hell of a debut. It tells the story of a tormented angel, the titular Wormwood, and the fulfilment of his destiny to destroy the earth. Wormwood is one of the Nephilim, a group of angels sent to bring humanity to judgement. Nevins' humanisation of these creatures captivated me. They are at once mythical, larger than life, and yet also understandable as people.

Kali, the main character of the piece, is extremely believable. Her relations
Jeanine
Jan 07, 2012 Jeanine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The author was kind enough to provide me a coupon for this book. I will say that I would have purchased it anyway! The story was extremely well written and the story was gripping. It kept me turning page after page after page although in the back of my mind I was dreading the fact that it had to end! I really hope there is a sequel in the works! I would hate to think that was the end of Kali and Tiamet - I hope to meet them again in another book....
VWrulesChick
The apocalypse story takes place as the world is being swallowed and torn up by an angel or demon, Tiamat, but Kali does not know that yet. Kali is spared, but why? What is her purpose in all this? and who is this Tiamat? Follow her in her adventure as she tries to understand her beginnings and her purpose in this new Earth of and the what her future may hold with the Nephilims. Recommend.
R. Grey Hoover
May 29, 2013 R. Grey Hoover rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wormwood is the story of a young woman trying to survive the destruction of the world by a legion of God's angels. The twists and turns that the author introduces in her rich literary style will keep you glued to this enchanting tale. I highly recommend this book and this author.
Christine Butler
Ms. Nevins writing is sheer genius, well thought out, extremely well written, and polished to perfection. Wormwood is a book I want to keep on my shelf, in my collection, to be able to pick up and return to on a whim.
Zuleeza
Jan 01, 2012 Zuleeza rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: the author to improve on her work
REVIEW: To be fair to the author (this is her debut book), I will try to be as extensive as I can be in justifying why did this book was rated two stars.

The title: Worm + wood? While I do know that the entire word 'Wormwood' carries different meanings literally and also textually in this book, I personally still don't find it any more appealing.

The cover: Again, I do understand that this meant to be a self-published book, but my love for photography betrays every of my attempt to like the cover.
Sherry Fundin
I was walking along Cedar Creek Trail, my usual route. All of a sudden, the wind blew like an omen of doom, the ground felt like a roller coaster under my feet and as rocks fell around me, I ran, trying to find a safe place to hide. As I reached the cliff, the ground there was stable, but I looked down and saw lava, smoke, and ash.Total destruction.

As I reached the fire pit I would sit around with the campers I brought as a guide, I saw it was still alive, telling me someone was there. As I look
Krazykiwi
Feb 16, 2013 Krazykiwi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wormwood This one jumps right into the story and gets right into the action, with little buildup, which is a big plus. A self-confident heroine who has her world, quite literally, shaken apart, so she spends the rest of the story just trying to walk on quicksand, and a hero who is quite the epitome of glorious bastard.

If any storyline invited deus ex machina, considering this one literally begins with a literal act of god, there's surprisingly little of it. And while our heroine is often blind
Loves To Dive
3.5 Stars

Kali Michaels works as a guide for tourists through the Pinecrest National Forest to help pay her way through college. The particular group on a corporate retreat that she is currently guiding is pushing her last button, particularly loud and obnoxious sales rep Brad.

After settling the group for the night on the opposite side of the river from her, Kali decides to take a hike to calm her nerves and ends at the top of Lookout Peak, where she encounters a young man who seems on the verge
Grammy 1
May 07, 2013 Grammy 1 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes a reviewer has a book submitted, and stares at the title, and has absolutely no idea where this will take them. Many look their books titles up on Amazon or Goodreads to not only read the cover blurbs, but read other reviewer ratings. I just like to be surprised, and yep what a pleasant surprise was Wormwood written by D.H. Nevins was.

We meet Kali Michaels, who is a young guide at the Pinecrest National Forest while she attends college. Her group at this time is a corporate one on a te
Cristina
Caitlin
Review copy provided free of charge by author. Originally reviewed here http://incaseofsurvival.com/fiction-r...

Wormwood is a curious book. I enjoyed it a great deal, but a few unignorable flaws stopped it from being an A grade for me.
First things first, I really loved reading this one. You know those books that really drag you in? Where leaving the book before you’re ready leaves you confused and resenting the world? This is one of them.
Ok, so, we have Kali, who as a teen meets a strange man c
Christina M Condy
So I received this book from the Author as a gift for winning a contest on facebook. When I received the book I was thrilled because I had read the blurb. D.H. Nevins was a little worried that I wouldn’t enjoy her book due to my not liking Dystopians. But while this book is “technically” a dystopian novel it is so much more than that.

I started reading this book and immediately got sucked into the story. I fell for Kali immediately, she seemed so down to earth, so nice and so very young, and she
John Dolan
Jul 19, 2014 John Dolan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Drawing on a number of religious traditions and mythologies, 'Wormwood' is an apocalyptic tour-de-force.

I am not usually a reader of this genre, but such is the power of D.H. Nevins' narrative, that the Amazon 'Look Inside' sample was enough to grab me and compel me through the book.

Here you will find ruthless angels bent on a mission of destruction. There is action, pathos and not a little sadness laced throughout the tale - and, of course, there is attraction. Ethical dilemmas abound. Ms Nevin
Leah Polcar
Just really really bad. So very very bad. Despite the core idea, there is really nothing to redeem this novel in my opinion. I finished it since I hate to leave books unread and thankfully this was made easier by the fact that I could easily skip large sections of tedious and florid descriptions of the same things over and over again. Yeah, nature's cool. Yeah, apocalypse turns things ugly. Or the back and forth bits about "does he love me?", "does he not love me?"...even for 99 cents, I want my ...more
John Dolan
Jan 16, 2013 John Dolan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Simon Okill
Wormwood by D.H. Nevins is an epic saga of fierce angels sent to destroy Earth, purge all mankind's infestation. The pre-devastated landscape cannot stand this onslaught of death from a legion of one hundred terrifying angels with just one desire, one goal.
But for Tiamat, a ruthless angel, begins to doubt his destiny when he rescues a beautiful woman named Kali. They are immediately attracted and this bodes badly for Tiamat. But for Kali, she must trust a killing machine bent on destruction of
Les Braddock
Aug 24, 2012 Les Braddock rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had read the excerpts that the author had posted on her web page, and was very intrigued with the concept: Apocalypse from the eyes of a survivor. I felt that I could empathize with the main characters, Kali and the mysterious Tiamat, the choices they are forced to make and dealing with the circumstances that arise. The situations play out in a believable manner, which is not always the case in this style of story. It is hard to believe that this was a first novel, very well written and plotte ...more
Jason
Sep 15, 2011 Jason rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this! A biblical post apocalyptic beauty and the beast tale with added oomph!
gets you hooked from the start and is a rollercoaster from start to finish. Enjoyed the writing too as could set the scene perfectly and never trust an angel!
Shawn Martin
Feb 01, 2013 Shawn Martin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The story held me close to the pages from start to finish. I enjoyed the conversational tone in the narrative. Tiamat was captivating.
Heather Cashman
This was a new twist on post-apocalypse for me. It was a fun, easy read, and I really like the symbolism of the names.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Book Giveaways: Wormwood by D. H. Nevins 1 1 Sep 22, 2015 06:45AM
Read 4 Review: Wormwood - free for reviewers 1 15 Jul 08, 2013 04:22PM
Read 4 Review: Wormwood - free for reviewers 1 14 Jul 08, 2013 04:18PM
Lovers of Paranor...: This topic has been closed to new comments. R2R {209} Wormwood COMPLETED 7 74 Jun 25, 2013 05:06PM
Making Connections: Angels. Demons. Love. Deceit. Wormwood is only 99 cents! 1 6 Apr 01, 2013 12:06PM
Paranormal, Fanta...: RaR - Wormwood 1 16 Mar 31, 2013 01:25PM
Apocalypse Whenever: February Giveaway #3, Wormwood by D.H. Nevins! 44 110 Feb 27, 2013 02:50PM
  • The Middle Aisle (Lancaster House)
  • Celeste Files: Unlocked (Psychic C.O.R.E, #1)
  • Nine Lives
  • Bad Traffick (Leine Basso, #2)
  • The Awakening (Project Eve, 1)
  • Revamp
  • Bones: The Complete Apocalypse Saga
  • Vostok
  • Kill and Run (Thorny Rose Mysteries, #1)
  • Sugar Scars
  • The Blake Soul
  • Deadly Road
  • Time of Death
  • Terror Never Sleeps (Jack Gunn, #2)
  • Undermountain (The Undermountain Saga, #1)
  • The Wolf's Moon
  • A Thousand Yesteryears (Point Pleasant, #1)
  • Taking the Fall
D.H. Nevins was born in Toronto and currently lives in a quiet area of Ontario, surrounded by forests and lakes. By day, she is a personable, friendly school teacher. By night, she silently chuckles as she writes about destroying the world. When she isn't writing, she enjoys hiking, camping, flying around on her motorcycle or dabbling in live theatre.
More about D.H. Nevins...