Start by marking “The Other Daughter” as Want to Read:
The Other Daughter

The Other Daughter

3.17 of 5 stars 3.17  ·  rating details  ·  143 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Having a celebrity in the family can be challenging, especially when your sister's famous for being a missing child.

The disappearance of Millie Jones has dominated the news for eight years, ever since the mediagenic toddler was snatched from a department store at Christmas time.

Certain that Millie is alive, her mother puts family life on hold to fight for the search to co
Published December 29th 2011 by Kernow-Isca Publications

To ask other readers questions about The Other Daughter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Other Daughter

Rachel
This short piece is amazing. With Natascha Kampusch, Jamie Bulger and Madeleine McCann all being names of children that we are aware of in the media, this fiction tells the tale of a family who are dealing with the aftermath of their 3 year old daughter Milly being kidnapped from a family shopping trip. 8 years have passed, and husband, wife and younger daughter are all suffering and dealing with the trauma and day to day grind in different ways. Then they hear on the news, another child, an 8 y ...more
Tim
Aug 07, 2013 Tim rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
Highly charged and rather emotional shot story about a family coming to terms with the eight years anniversary of their daughter going missing. I couldn't help think, while reading this, about the parents of Madeleine McCann and what they must be going through.

Very different from other stuff I've read of Rosen's but worth a read. Blokes: don't read it where anyone can see you ;)
Carina
I found myself very disappointed with this book, from the description I expected something very very different from what I got. Now, I am fine with books having twists and turns and being different from what I expect but, with this one I felt more... lied to - despite the description being correct. What the description says is what happens in the book but somehow ... mm.

I'll admit it was well written, and I certainly didn't see the 'twist' coming. As other reviewers have said this is a very sens
Dorretta Hunter
This was a short story. It's a tragic and compelling story with a surprising ending. It's the only book I've read by this author, but I would read more of her books.
Tracy Oliphant
Interesting short story..
Jud (Disney Diva)
A highly emotional well written story of a potentially sensitive subject. I read a previous short story by the same author Lipstick and Knickers and enjoyed it so much I didn't have to think twice about grabbing this one however, the subject matters are as far apart as it is possible for them to be.

Although it is what should be a heavy subject I found the story quite light, not light hearted but easy to read. (view spoiler)
Andrew Lawston
Rosen Trevithick's story The Other Daughter was a bit of a revelation for me as a reader of this author's stuff. I'd previously read her novel Pompomberry House and its prequel, as well as London, the Doggy and Me, so was used to comedy with a hint of the macabre.

The Other Daughter is a much more serious affair, dealing as it does with a family thrown into eight years of misery after the abduction of the oldest daughter on a Christmas shopping trip. Although Rosen wisely steers clear of child ab
Wendy Unsworth
This is a short story about a family whose first daughter went missing in a busy shop at Christmas time. She was lively three year old at the time, when the second child of the family, also a girl, was just a baby.
The story opens with an argument between Rebecca, the mother, and daughter Bethany. Rebecca has promised not to speak to the media yet again on the anniversary of Millie's disappearance and bring the whole family into the spotlight, but she could not keep her word. She is compelled ev
LaMarr Wenrich
This is a short story about a family whose first daughter went missing during the Christmas holidays. This little girl was a lively three year old at the time. Their second child, also a girl, was just a baby. This tale held my attention from the start and I could not put it down. In today's world, it is such a relevant and sensitive story for many. Rosen Trevithick handles it delicately while allowing the reader to really experience the parents' feelings of loss, anger and hurt. Beautifully wri ...more
Lynda Stansbury
Easy read

Very good short story. A little depressing but ended well. I could feel the mother's pain and understand the other daughter's confusion.
John Cunningham-smith
Thoroughly enjoyed this book, I didn't see the twist coming. Very well written.
Alexis
A great reminder of why I should be picking up short stories more often.
Jen
Sep 28, 2013 Jen rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: kindle
Quick read. Freebie on the Kindle. Not bad, but kind of depressing and kind of twisted with Jemma. I felt the worst for Bethany, having to live in the shadow of a missing sister. Kind of ironic, even though her sister was kidnapped, Bethany could walk to school without someone with her, at nine years old. Not exactly excellent parenting. But they left the chain on the door for kidnapping protection. Ummmm... No. The ending was good though.
Naomi
While I found this short story to be good, I didn't find it quite as powerful as this author's other short story, On the Rocks. I didn't feel the connection to the characters as with the aforementioned book, although this story was, like the other book, absolutely heartbreaking. I can't wait to read more from this author
Kristy McRae
An interesting story of loss, grief, and healing. My only wish is that it was longer! I liked the arc of the story and the journey of the characters (especially the mother)--everything wraps up nicely. I would have liked to get to know the characters better through more details, more fleshing out. Still, though, an accurate, well-written snapshot of grieving and coming out the other side.
Emma (Em or Emz)
This is a short story about a very tragic event and the effects it has on a family. I found this book to be very well written and I really liked the Authors style. I enjoyed all the characters and felt the dynamic between them was very realistic. I like how the story concluded and it made for an uplifting end.
Desley (Cat fosterer)
A missing daughter, and how a family comes to terms with it.

Even though this is a short story, Rosen has managed to pack enough in to make you really feel for the characters and want to know what will happen.

As ever, another good read from Rosen, and I Can't wait to read more of hers.
Andrea
Aug 28, 2012 Andrea rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
Good short story about a family coping the abduction of a toddler 8 years earlier. I really liked it because it made me think, what would I do to the move past something like that. The family in the story are giving a ray of hope that in the end forces them to move on. It was sad but good.
Karrie Scarbrow
Enjoyed this short story. About a family who daughter Millie went missing at Christmas eight years ago. This year will it be different that their daughter comes back home. I found this a very good read just a shame it was not longer. Will be reading more from this author
Aunty Janet
I'm not normally a short-story fan, but really liked this one. A daughter goes missing and the rest of the family deal with each in their own way. Eight years later she is still missing - this story explores how each family member copes without her.
Nicki
I thoroughly enjoyed this short story. It is a very well written piece full of emotions and has wonderful development in both the story and the characters. I definitely want to read more by this author.
Elaine
it was ok. Very short book so on a positive note it does cram a lot into the 22 or so pages. An ok storyline with a twist and as nice as a happy ending could be for the subject.
Louise
A simple story of a daughter who goes missing and the focus which her parents put towards finding her. But what about their other daughter? A lovely read which made me cry.
Suzanne
I did really likethis short story but wish it was longer. Going deeper into the story and about the other young girl would have made this an excellent book.
Rosie
gpood. only negatie is: at the nding, didnt feel as though there wasn an ending - the way it read was it was to be carried on. but it didnt :(
Pauline Mackay
Good wee short story, got free on kindle. Tackled an emotional subject of loss and moving on well! Worth a read if you have free half an hour.
Heidi
A good, quick read. Nothing special, and there were quite a bit of editing errors. Otherwise, it was okay. It was a free Kindle book.
Cindy Williams
Feb 11, 2012 Cindy Williams rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: no one
Didnt really care for the surprise ending. The book was slow moving and told the story as expected but the ending was really a twist.
Claire Hill
A good short story about the emotive subject of a missing child. Well written with interesting characters and plot. Great.
Elaine
The synopsis nicely sums up what this short book is about. It's pretty good.
If you enjoyed The Other Daughter... 1 5 May 05, 2012 04:11AM
  • In Their Blood
  • Friend Request
  • The Vivisectionist
  • Cedardale Court
  • Forever Is Over
  • The Lazarus Strain (Dr Steven Dunbar, #6)
  • The Twisted Ones
  • The Secret of Lies
  • Little Lamb Lost
  • Children of the Plantation
  • The Christmas Star
  • Rose, Undercover (Dead Roses, #1.1)
Rosen is a British bestselling author, who writes fiction for children and adults.

She was born in Cornwall and grew up on Restronguet Creek. She studied Experimental Psychology at St Catherine's College, Oxford, before moving back to the West Country. She now lives on the south coast of Devon with two imaginary cats, fantasising about getting a real one.

In 2011 Rosen was an aspiring author. Writin
More about Rosen Trevithick...
My Granny Writes Erotica (The Original Quickie) Pompomberry House London, the Doggy and Me The Ice Marathon Footprints