Start by marking “Killer Market” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
Killer Market

Margaret Maron

Killer Market (Deborah Knott #5)

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  1,335 ratings  ·  50 reviews
When Judge Deborah Knott fills in for a judge in High Point, North Carolina, she has no idea that a show featuring the largest assortment of upscale home decorations in the world will be taking over the town while she is there. And when the son-in-law of an old classmate turns up dead on a pink satin love seat--Deborah must find an assassin who puts his work on display.
Hardcover, Large Print, 359 pages
Published by Thorndike Press (first published August 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Killer Market, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Killer Market

Kwoomac
There were definitely things I enjoyed about this book but not more than an okay rating. The protagonist is a 30 something woman who's a judge. She has a spotty history. Her family wasn't in this book but she has 11 overprotective brothers and a bossy father. The setting was kind of interesting, the story takes place in a big furniture town in North Carolina during the international home furnishings market.

What I was less thrilled with was the constant rehashing of who was where, who had a motiv
Sandra
An interesting journey into the background of marketing furniture and other decor items, with a murder/accident thrown in as well as a secret of youth. Love the characters in Maron's novels and how Judge Deborah Knott gets thrown into the mix. Another good read in her series of mysteries.

From Amazon:
Since the first Deborah Knott mystery, Bootlegger’s Daughter, swept the top mystery awards in 1993, the feisty judge has proven herself an investigator ranking with today’s best—dedicated to justic
Mary Ronan Drew
This marvelous mystery should be subtitled "Everything You Ever Wanted to Know about Furniture Manufacturing and Merchandising." Margaret Maron's mysteries are all (so far) set in North Carolina and this one takes place in High Point during the semi-annual furniture marketing week.

Killer Market has one of the most unusual murder "weapons" I've encountered: a brownie. A special brownie laced with ground up penicillin, fed to a greedy eater who is allergic to penicillin. (Should anyone want to do
Liz
Having been to the High Point Market during sales/design week as a design student, this fed into my memories of how overpowering this bi-yearly meetup is. Incredible mashups of textile, accessory & furniture eras, styles, finishes, proportions, crammed cheek by jowl into huge cavernous areas, lots of corridors where it's very easy to get lost & totally creeped out. A friend & I scared each other to death a couple of times, getting lost & popping out at each other.
And since it sq
Joyce Lagow
5th in the Judge Deborah Knott series set in North Carolina.[return][return]Deborah is sitting in for a colleague in High Point, North Carolina during Market Week, when buyers from all over the world descend on the small town of High Point to check out the latest offerings in the furniture and furnishings industry. A murder occurs; the victim is a very old acquaintance of Deborah� s. She is reluctantly involved in the investigation.[return][return]That� s the plot. While Maron� s plots always re ...more
Barbara Mitchell
After reading a serious history of World War I, I needed something light and fun and who better to turn to than Margaret Maron. I love her books and have been saving a couple I found at a book sale.

Judge Deborah Knott not only has a huge family, she has many friends throughout the South, and occasionally is sent to fill in for a vacationing judge in some interesting little town. This time she's been sent to High Point, North Carolina and doesn't realize until she arrives and finds every motel fi
Kellie
My opinion of this author has not changed after reading this one. I think Maron has a very unique style of writing. I love the education a reader gets on a specific industry of North Carolina. In this one it was the furniture/decorating business. She takes an actual real life industry and weaves a mystery in it. Not only is a reader getting a fun mystery, but they are learning something about North Carolina. This is great, especially if you live in the state. The problem I have with her writing ...more
Cam
Another comforting mystery from the Deborah Knott series, this time as a visiting judge in the host town of a huge furniture industry convention. A man she knew during her troubled youth is killed on site, and even the Judge is a suspect. He's about to leave his current firm for an overseas position, has a poor track record with women before and after his deceased wife, and might be taking his young daughter with him. Of course, the judge gets mixed up with the family and the industry types from ...more
Barbara
What can I say? I like Deborah Knott. This is my third mystery. This is earlier in the series than the other two books I read, but I still find Deborah to be an intelligent and prudent “detective”. She is not intrusive or impulsive; just haring off to question anyone she thinks may be involved in the murder, whether she know them or not. She almost seems to get involved despite herself; but this is probably a misconception on my part; since I’ve only read three books. After all, her childhood fr ...more
Erin
I don't know if it was the book or just me this time around, but I just really didn't enjoy this one. The only thing I could think was it was the market setting just not being that interesting. I was thinking that it was maybe that Deborah is away from home for this one, subbing in for another judge in another county, except that she's done this before and I didn't dislike that book. So I guess it has to come down to the characters in this one maybe didn't pop off the page as well as in previous ...more
Patty
I'm still really enjoying this series. This episode was fascinating because it was set in a North Carolina town where during "market week" nothing much is done except selling furniture, and thousands of people flood the small town to buy and sell furniture. Judge Deborah Knott is in town to substitute for a vacationing judge and, of course, ends up involved in a murder (or two or three). As usual there is a bunch of interesting characters and complicated family ties. I did miss Deborah's family, ...more
Caitlin
Deborah finds herself away to judge exactly at the time of the biggest to-do in a small town that is usually deserted. And for the first time, Deborah's unfortunate proximity to so much murder brings her in as a suspect. Despite repeated warnings to stay out of things, Deborah can't help but look for clues to get herself out of the hot seat.
In the meantime, Deborah meets an eclectic set of characters from a little girl to some middle-aged crazies of the furniture market. I quite enjoyed reading
Kristjan
Another nice meandering mystery from Margaret Maron, with a few rabbit trails thrown in for good measure.
Jessica
Enjoyed
Glad there were no love scenes like there is once in a while in the others
Sandy Weir
Another southern adventure with Deborah Knott, again traveling to a different location in North Carolina to cover for another judge's absence. Maron introduces us to the Home Furnishings Market, which is quite a surprise. I liked the insightful treatment of various characters with handicaps, such as Savannah. While her court room is definitely not filling the book, Judge Knott's reflections about the two cases presented are solid and offer a nice diversion.
Bryn
Aug 26, 2010 Bryn rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Bryn by: Mom
Shelves: mystery
Again, recommended by mom. She, of course, loved that it took place at the biggest annual furniture market in the country; unfortunately, I did not share her enthusiasm.

I did enjoy the character of schizophrenic former designer, and it did make me laugh more than once. The series character didn't do much for me, however, and I didn't think the plot was all that interesting. In the end it was just a bit to "fluffy" for me.
Joyce Lagow
This book wears better with rereading--I liked it much better the 3rd and 4th time than the first. At first, it seemed like a promo for the North Carolina furniture market--which it is--but it is also filled with energy and the excitement of that kind of event. The mystery is well plotted in Maron's usual fashion. Deborah Knott continues to shine as a likable character with plenty of interest.
Judge Deborah Knott heads to High Point during the Furniture Market. That's some North Carolina flavor right there, but I missed Deborah's extended family and Colleton County friends --they are hardly mentioned in this book. I've only shopped for furniture in High Point once, but I suspect readers more familiar with that scene would be pleased with Maron's descriptions of the Market.
Alisonpaddock
This is my second book about Deborah Knott. I find her a very well conceived character, smart, warm and very womanly. She brings all of those elements into her job as a judge. The mysteries are fun and complicated and I enjoy the locations. It is really hard to keep all her extended family straight - I mean 11 brothers and their families?!
Jamie Brooks
Meh. I was honestly pretty bored throughout this book. I thought the setting of a funiture festival was weird and just plain boring. I couldn't get into it, the characters werent explained well and it was all just very confusing. Hoping the next one is better.
Margaret Dee
Another good regional mystery. Every other book is set in a different part of the state. I understand that she can't kill off the town but the ones set at home with her family are my favorite.

Interesting story learned a little about furniture shows.
Amylou1977
i so love these books

High Point, NC is home of the International
Home Furnishings Market with six million square feet of furniture showrooms. So how come the first showroom Deborah Knott visits has a corpse decorating the wicker swing set?
Angie
This is more of a 3-. I have just been to the NC Furniture Mart in Hickory, and this seemed like a very timely read, but it really did not grab me. It seemed like a puffed-up novella, a decent story but not enough there to fill a novel. Very "thin".
Bonnie
One of my favorites of the Deborah Knott mysteries. Judge Knott is filling in for a judge in High Point, NC during the International Furniture Market. I loved reading about the NC furniture industry. Good tale of mystery and murder!
Caroline
Jun 21, 2007 Caroline rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Good mystery that takes place in High Point, NC during furniture market. This gives insight to the market hayday (wich is dwindling now). Fun if you like mysteries. Not too heavy. Men and women will both enjoy this book.
Readnponder
This Deborah Knott mystery takes place during the annual furniture market in High Point NC. This series can be depended on for breezy, interesting mystery set in NC. Killer Market is no exception.
Lesley
I'm a Margaret Maron fan anyway, but I especially enjoyed this book because it was set in High Point, a city near where I used to live. It was unusual and fun to read a mystery involving the Furniture Market.
Carmen
Nov 19, 2013 Carmen rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery fans
Shelves: fiction, mystery
A great mystery book! Fifth in the DK series. This one is about selling furniture, which is boring, but the characters and plot are amazing and great! Issues: Adoption, mental illness, homophobia.
Jenny
  • Signs in the Blood (An Elizabeth Goodweather Appalachian Mystery #1)
  • White Elephant Dead (Death on Demand, #11)
  • Lovely in Her Bones (Elizabeth MacPherson, #2)
  • Rosemary Remembered (China Bayles, #4)
  • Watery Grave (Sir John Fielding, #3)
  • Holy Terror In The Hebrides (Dorothy Martin, #3)
  • O Little Town of Maggody (Arly Hanks, #7)
  • Owls Well That Ends Well (Meg Langslow, #6)
  • Deadly Valentine (Death on Demand, #6)
  • Shell Game (Professor Simon Shaw, #5)
Born and raised in central North Carolina, Margaret Maron lived in Italy before returning to the USA where she and her husband now live. In addition to a collection of short stories she's also the author of 16 mystery novels. Her works have been translated into seven languages her Bootlegger's Daughter, a Washington Post Bestseller won Edgar Anthony, Agatha, and Macavity awards. She is a past pres ...more
More about Margaret Maron...

Deborah Knott (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Bootlegger's Daughter (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #1)
  • Southern Discomfort (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #2)
  • Shooting at Loons (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #3)
  • Up Jumps the Devil (Deborah Knott, #4)
  • Home Fires (Deborah Knott Mysteries #6)
  • Storm Track (Deborah Knott Mysteries #7)
  • Uncommon Clay (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #8)
  • Slow Dollar (Deborah Knott Mysteries #9)
  • High Country Fall (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #10)
  • Rituals of the Season (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #11)
Bootlegger's Daughter (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #1) Shooting at Loons (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #3) Southern Discomfort (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #2) Up Jumps the Devil (Deborah Knott, #4) Hard Row (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #13)